IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags michelle obama

Old 4th May 2020, 07:59 PM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Michelle Obama calls herself America's Forever First Lady

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...le-university/

(Note: This was two years ago, which is why the auditorium is packed and nobody is wearing a face mask.)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:19 PM   #2
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...le-university/

(Note: This was two years ago, which is why the auditorium is packed and nobody is wearing a face mask.)
.........and... what?
Old 4th May 2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Does this bother you or something?
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:25 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Why are you down?
Is it the rumor that another boy wants to take your place?
I hear he's after your heart.
Have you been hearin' the stories?
They're goin' around.
All of my friends are talkin'.
Baby, just remember I gave you my heart,
ain't no-one gonna tear us apart.
He can promise the moon and the stars above,
even if he promised me the world;
Just remember I'm forever your girl.

--Dr P. Abdul, the real Forever First Lady!
Old 4th May 2020, 08:59 PM   #5
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
.........and... what?
Jealousy? Proof that we need a one party conservative state?

Maybe because Melania seems to copy everything Michelle Obama did?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 09:05 PM   #6
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Two years ago. And this is still stuck in your craw?
Old 4th May 2020, 11:19 PM   #7
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Michelle Obama calls herself America's Forever First Lady

At least until somebody better comes along.
And that don't look likely for a while.

So yeah, forever or the next couple decades - whatever.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 12:11 AM   #8
Venom
Philosopher

And this....changes nothing.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 12:52 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 01:07 AM   #10
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Melania may be a nice(ish) person. I certainly don't hold her responsible for any of the political chaos, and by all accounts she is fairly smart and a reasonable parent. But she has been largely absent from the First Lady role, appearing only a very occasionally to be arm-bling for her deranged husband, or to tepidly push a highly derivative version of just one of Michelle's programmes. My impression, up for review of course, is she simply does not want to be there, or anywhere near there.

As for Michelle, she will always be the First lady. And so will all the previous First Ladies. Because their husbands were presidents. And they continue to be known as such.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 01:21 AM   #11
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A little bit of poking around makes it seem to me that actor Nick Cannon, in response to Azelia Banks speaking out about having been racially attacked, seemingly referring to the fact that Obama was the first black First Lady. Looking at the clip in the OP, as quoted by chrispy, it looks like Obama was addressing an audience of black people, in a city in which nearly half the population is black.

It's a funny old world when this is the cause of apoplexy two years later, three years after her husband left office. Still, I suppose there's nothing else going on at the moment.
Old 5th May 2020, 01:22 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
My impression, up for review of course, is she simply does not want to be there, or anywhere near there.
By "there" you mean her husband, right?
Old 5th May 2020, 01:24 AM   #13
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A lot of ******* ads and a video. Thanks for that link.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 01:25 AM   #14
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
By "there" you mean her husband, right?
I left that deliberately open for debate.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 02:40 AM   #15
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Adblockers are your friend.
Old 5th May 2020, 05:11 AM   #16
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
“I know that you are me,” Obama told the crowd. “And if I can be standing here as your forever first lady, then you can do anything you put your mind to.”

The event held at Temple University was not always, or often, solemn and serious. After Obama shared her thoughts, she broke out her dance moves alongside actors Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Zendaya and Rebel Wilson as they all advocated for higher education.

The epithet, “forever first lady,” came from actor Nick Cannon, who along with other A-listers joined Obama at the fifth annual celebration. Obama started the initiative while in the White House to honor those students who are pursuing a higher education.

Trying to usurp an office with no actual power by quoting something that someone else called her, all while giving an inspirational speech to college students while being black?!?

nOt On MaH wAtCh!!!!!! >Stomps on MAGAHat<
Old 5th May 2020, 05:15 AM   #17
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Oh, and misleading headline is misleading. "Michelle Obama calls herself America's Forever First Lady"

No, as seen above, she actually said "your" forever first lady. As in, those particular people there, not "all Americans in general". Not unlike all the "X is my President" kind of comments heard quite regularly from other people.

So, not only a nothing burger, but a nothing burger you had to exaggerate just to get to the level of nothing burger.
Old 5th May 2020, 05:24 AM   #18
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

I never understood why it matters who the president is married to. In most countries, it doesn't.

It smacks of America's hunger for royalty, which has always been present.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 05:32 AM   #19
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I may be wrong, but this feels like projection, like the claim that Barack Obama is a thin skinned narcissist.
Old 5th May 2020, 06:04 AM   #20
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I may be wrong, but this feels like projection, like the claim that Barack Obama is a thin skinned narcissist.
Yeah, funny you don't hear that one so much any more when Trump puts out 50+ whiny little b**** tweets in a day.
Old 5th May 2020, 06:07 AM   #21
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
I never understood why it matters who the president is married to. In most countries, it doesn't.

It smacks of America's hunger for royalty, which has always been present.
It usually doesn't. Michelle Obama is doing fluff speaking engagements. Good work if you can get it, but not exactly shaking the earth.

By and large, the President's spouse is pretty unimportant, with a few exceptions here and there where they play more important roles in the administration.
Old 5th May 2020, 06:55 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Does this bother you or something?
Not particularly. It seems unserious, but I never took her seriously. I thought it might have some interest among the Draft Michelle folks. Maybe it reinforces their desire to put her in the Oval Office. Maybe it makes them reconsider. Figured it might spark some conversation is all.

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Two years ago. And this is still stuck in your craw?
I only found out about it yesterday. And it's not stuck anywhere. Should it be?

Most of my interest was in trying to figure out why she was talking to a roomful of people without masks.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 07:05 AM   #23
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Not particularly. It seems unserious, but I never took her seriously. I thought it might have some interest among the Draft Michelle folks. Maybe it reinforces their desire to put her in the Oval Office. Maybe it makes them reconsider. Figured it might spark some conversation is all.

Most of my interest was in trying to figure out why she was talking to a roomful of people without masks.
You know this was from 2 years ago, so what is the point of this?

Last edited by chrispy; 5th May 2020 at 07:06 AM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 07:06 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Sorry about that. The media is not your friend. It's hard to find good news sources online. This popped up for me elsewhere as a link to something called "DC Dump" which I'd never heard of. I had to search around to find the local CBS affiliate report. More ads, which is obnoxious. But they did have a fairly substantial text article, including several excerpts from the speech she gave. So it wasn't all video.

I try to cite the original reporting where I can. The actual AP article, for example, rather than some other source that's just republishing the AP article. If the citation I got is to a right-wing outlet like Breitbart, I try to trace it back to a mainstream source.

I do that for two reasons: One, to make sure story is what it's purported to be. And two, to avoid the trap of seeing a true story rejected or ignored here with an ad hom excuse.
Old 5th May 2020, 07:10 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Oh, and misleading headline is misleading. "Michelle Obama calls herself America's Forever First Lady"

No, as seen above, she actually said "your" forever first lady. As in, those particular people there, not "all Americans in general". Not unlike all the "X is my President" kind of comments heard quite regularly from other people.

So, not only a nothing burger, but a nothing burger you had to exaggerate just to get to the level of nothing burger.
I reject the "not my president" theory of American politics. If she's the First Lady, she's everybody's First Lady.

If she was intentionally fostering a divide, encouraging a group of people to feel like American government began and ended with Barack Obama, and to think that what happened in elections after that don't count... That might be a little problematic for me. Not very problematic - a drop of divisiveness in a bucket of same - but still. I thought it was mildly amusing and a little bit silly. Should I be taking it more seriously, do you think?
Old 5th May 2020, 07:14 AM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If I'd found out about it two years ago, and posted it then, you'd still be complaining that you don't see the point. Why does the age of it matter?
Old 5th May 2020, 07:17 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is everyone being best?
Old 5th May 2020, 07:20 AM   #28
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If I'd found out about it two years ago, and posted it then, you'd still be complaining that you don't see the point. Why does the age of it matter?
I expect that the age of the issue does matter.

After all, if this issue that you raised was actually problematic in some way, then it surely would have been problematic by now.

But since the issue has not been problematic since it was first developed two years ago, then it is quite likely that the this issue will never be problematic in the future either.
Old 5th May 2020, 07:42 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I expect that the age of the issue does matter.

After all, if this issue that you raised was actually problematic in some way, then it surely would have been problematic by now.

But since the issue has not been problematic since it was first developed two years ago, then it is quite likely that the this issue will never be problematic in the future either.
On the other hand, it is probably just as mildly amusing now as it was two years ago.

Anyway, here's hoping Melania never says something this silly.
Old 5th May 2020, 08:06 AM   #30
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

On the other hand, it is probably just as mildly amusing now as it was two years ago.

I’ve never seen such a wildly misplaced sense of smugness.

Good job. You really showed... someone, I guess?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 08:22 AM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I’ve never seen such a wildly misplaced sense of smugness.
Understandable, with such a large chunk of wood in your eye.
Old 5th May 2020, 08:52 AM   #32
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Understandable, with such a large chunk of wood in your eye.
Sick burn. But you should save it for the next time I dredge up a two year-old story that barely qualified as news is when it was relevant and present it as some kind of half-assed call-out thread. It might actually have teeth then.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 09:01 AM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
And this is still stuck in your craw?
It definitely stuck in somebody's craw. Not mine, but somebody's.
Old 5th May 2020, 09:10 AM   #34
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is everyone being best?
I don't care, do you?
Old 5th May 2020, 09:18 AM   #35
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is everyone being best?

I'm trying to be as best as Donald Trump, but I'm having trouble being that petty and vindictive.
Old 5th May 2020, 09:19 AM   #36
carlitos
"más divertido"

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 09:20 AM   #37
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

It definitely stuck in somebody's craw. Not mine, but somebody's.
To be clear, you are claiming to have started this thread because this 2 year old non-story doesn't matter to you? And your evidence that it matters to ... well someone is that people are asking you why it matters?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 09:27 AM   #38
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

A 'not' quote for your consideration:

Originally Posted by Not the thread title
Why are Michelle & audience not wearing masks?
Old 5th May 2020, 09:33 AM   #39
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Meh. Her husband certainly has. How's "the greatest jobs president God ever created" working out? I wonder what this Friday's coming unemployment report will say?

Also, I did the story and it says:
Quote:
The epithet, “forever first lady,” came from actor Nick Cannon, who along with other A-listers joined Obama at the fifth annual celebration.
Old 5th May 2020, 09:39 AM   #40
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, if the issue actually is "mildly amusing" and/or "silly", then I fail to see what you started this thread to begin with.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics