IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags michelle obama

Old 5th May 2020, 05:17 PM   #81
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Does Michelle Obama have pointy ears?
I dunno, everyone seemed focused on her arms, although I never saw anything extraordinary about them. Maybe they're good arms for a lady her age?
Old 5th May 2020, 05:18 PM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Certain snowflakes certainly seem to get upset easily by people of color saying stuff they have to try hard to take offense at.
Oh, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear Melanie saying the same thing. She has a history of that.
Old 5th May 2020, 06:10 PM   #83
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If I'd found out about it two years ago, and posted it then, you'd still be complaining that you don't see the point. Why does the age of it matter?
Why would you expect people to be wearing masks two years ago?

Can you explain that?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 06:18 PM   #84
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In the Second Age, in Eregion, Obamabrimbor did forge the Rings of Power, and Michelle, mightiest of the Noldor women, took one that she might preserve a realm and be Forever First Lady. But she knew that eventually her efforts would fail, for when Trumpon inevitably fell the power of the rings would die out. And she would pass, diminished, back to the West, to Chicago, and a lucrative lecture circuit.
Now that was funny.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 03:47 AM   #85
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

He used it first, she picked it up and also used it.

Does it change anything for you, that this idea wasn't original to her, it was just an idea she liked and ran with?
It is clearly time for a re-cap of the nonsense that you have been posting in this thread ...

First, you claim that Michelle Obama called herself "America's Forever First Lady" as based on a news item from two years ago.

Second, you state that the whole issue is "mildly amusing" and/or "silly".

Third, you fail to read your own citation which clearly states that it was someone else who called Michelle Obama "America's Forever First Lady".

Fourth, you lie when state Michelle Obama calls herself "America's Forever First Lady".

So whatever your problem is, do us all a favor and resolve it.
Old 6th May 2020, 03:58 AM   #86
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
It is clearly time for a re-cap of the nonsense that you have been posting in this thread ...

First, you claim that Michelle Obama called herself "America's Forever First Lady" as based on a news item from two years ago.

Third, you fail to read your own citation which clearly states that it was someone else who called Michelle Obama "America's Forever First Lady".

Fourth, you lie when state Michelle Obama calls herself "America's Forever First Lady".

Don't forget the deflection that he was most curious about why she was speaking to a crowd with no masks, despite saying he knew it was 2 years ago. Go figure.
Old 6th May 2020, 04:20 AM   #87
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmmm... echoes of an oversized canine - no mention of "grifters" though!

Oy Vey!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th May 2020 at 04:22 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 04:22 AM   #88
Crossbow

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Don't forget the deflection that he was most curious about why she was speaking to a crowd with no masks, despite saying he knew it was 2 years ago. Go figure.
Indeed so!
Old 6th May 2020, 04:32 AM   #89
Garrison
Philosopher

Well when you are committed to treating Donald Trump as being fit for office you have to come up with some distraction when Trump's decided to turn the USA into an all you can eat buffet for Covid-19
Old 6th May 2020, 04:51 AM   #90
Cheetah
Master Poster

An ode...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th May 2020, 05:01 AM   #91
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh. What else is there to do? Most of us are stuck at home and getting crazier from boredom. Jesus Christ, I never thought I'd say this, but I really want to just go to a mall and walk around stores! I haven't done that voluntarily in decades! Hell, I'm willing to go to IKEA.

A visit to Ikea is actually worthwhile nowadays:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 05:04 AM   #92
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno, everyone seemed focused on her arms, although I never saw anything extraordinary about them. Maybe they're good arms for a lady her age?
https://www.thehealthsite.com/fitnes...-t0216-371244/
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 05:06 AM   #93
dann
Penultimate Amazing

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...le-university/

(Note: This was two years ago, which is why the auditorium is packed and nobody is wearing a face mask.)

This one's much better!
I AGREE
Old 6th May 2020, 08:22 AM   #94
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
This one's much better!
I AGREE
I could only stand to watch about three minutes of that idiocy,
Old 6th May 2020, 08:27 AM   #95
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Why would you expect people to be wearing masks two years ago?
I give up: Why would I expect people to be wearing masks two years ago?

---

It's kind of a crap riddle, though.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 08:33 AM   #96
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Now that was funny.
Tragic Monkey knows what's up.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 12:50 PM   #97
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

She had very muscular arms. Some people thought they were unattractive on a lady, and I'll let you form your own idea as to why they might hold such an opinion. Personally, I thought they were very sexy, as did my spouse.
Old 6th May 2020, 01:17 PM   #98
Parsman
Muse

I give up: Why would I expect people to be wearing masks two years ago?

---

It's kind of a crap riddle, though.
theprestige there was a time, many moons gone by, when I disagreed with a lot of your positions but at least felt you came to them with some sort of reasoning. It seems you have now joined Space Force. Your efforts at justifying this ridiculous claim is certainly out of this world.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 01:47 PM   #99
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
She had very muscular arms. Some people thought they were unattractive on a lady, and I'll let you form your own idea as to why they might hold such an opinion. Personally, I thought they were very sexy, as did my spouse.
Sexy arms and an even sexier brain.

And then there's the sexy man she chose to marry... in his sexy tan suit with a tiny little splotch of dijon mustard on the corner of his lip after biting into his burger.... meow!
Old 6th May 2020, 01:50 PM   #100
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
theprestige there was a time, many moons gone by, when I disagreed with a lot of your positions but at least felt you came to them with some sort of reasoning. It seems you have now joined Space Force. Your efforts at justifying this ridiculous claim is certainly out of this world.
You lost me. What ridiculous claim am I trying to justify?
Old 6th May 2020, 11:13 PM   #101
chrispy
Graduate Poster

I have no opinion on that.
Old 7th May 2020, 04:44 AM   #102
Crossbow

So far, I have seen two claims of yours that would fit such a definition:

The first involved how Michelle Obama called herself "America's Forever First Lady"; when she did nothing of the sort.

And the second involved your boggle about how Michelle Obama addressed a group of people about two years ago without wearing a face mask of some sort; which was well before the current Corona Virus issues.
Old 7th May 2020, 07:34 AM   #103
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

So far, I have seen two claims of yours that would fit such a definition:

The first involved how Michelle Obama called herself "America's Forever First Lady"; when she did nothing of the sort.

And the second involved your boggle about how Michelle Obama addressed a group of people about two years ago without wearing a face mask of some sort; which was well before the current Corona Virus issues.
While I share your befuddlement as to the purpose of this thread, she indeed said something of the sort. (And I couldn't care less.) I'll never understand this sort of overreach.
Old 7th May 2020, 07:39 AM   #104
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever my "problem" was (honestly it seems like more of a problem for you than for me), it was resolved all the way back at your second point.

Your third point is false. She also used the term to describe herself.

Your fourth point has already been addressed.

Whatever your problem is, I hope this resolves it.
Old 7th May 2020, 08:12 AM   #105
Crossbow

Whatever my "problem" was (honestly it seems like more of a problem for you than for me), it was resolved all the way back at your second point.
The issue has not been resolved.

Quote:
Your third point is false. She also used the term to describe herself.
If so, then point out where she did such a thing.

Quote:
Your fourth point has already been addressed.
No it has not. You have continually failed to substantiate your claim that Michelle Obama has been calling herself "America's Forever First Lady".

Quote:
Whatever your problem is, I hope this resolves it.
You have continually failed to resolve your problems.
Old 7th May 2020, 08:20 AM   #106
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The issue has not been resolved.
I think it's mildly amusing and kind of silly. That resolves it as far as I'm concerned. I never had much of a problem to begin with. Your level of concern about this whole thing far exceeds my own.

Quote:
If so, then point out where she did such a thing.
“I know that you are me,” Obama told the crowd. “And if I can be standing here as your forever first lady, then you can do anything you put your mind to.”

You're welcome.

Quote:
No it has not. You have continually failed to substantiate your claim that Michelle Obama has been calling herself "America's Forever First Lady".
I have, in fact, already explained my position on this.

Quote:
You have continually failed to resolve your problems.
That's not really for you to say. I will concede that I have continually failed to solve your problems, though. What is it about this topic that bothers you so much?

Do you think there's anything seriously wrong with Michelle Obama telling people she's their forever first lady?

Do you think there's anything seriously wrong with her picking up Nick Cannon's idea of her being a forever first lady and running with it?

I don't. I think it's mildly amusing and a little bit silly. You seem to be taking it a lot more seriously than I am. Hell, at this point I think maybe you're taking it a lot more seriously than Michelle Obama did.

Last edited by theprestige; 7th May 2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:00 AM   #107
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks, Obama!
Old 7th May 2020, 09:04 AM   #108
chrispy
Graduate Poster

I'm still confused about what the topic of this thread actually is...
Old 7th May 2020, 09:09 AM   #109
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Don't vote for Michelle Obama to be First Lady, she's super arrogant about it. This one time a maid didn't curtsey deep enough so Michelle Obama picked her up and threw her out of a second story window onto a staircase, and when the maid finished rolling down the staircase Michelle was already waiting at the bottom to drag her back up it and push her down again.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:28 AM   #110
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

delete
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:33 AM   #111
Crossbow

I think it's mildly amusing and kind of silly. That resolves it as far as I'm concerned. I never had much of a problem to begin with. Your level of concern about this whole thing far exceeds my own.
OK then. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
“I know that you are me,” Obama told the crowd. “And if I can be standing here as your forever first lady, then you can do anything you put your mind to.”

You're welcome.
You are right and I was wrong.

My mistake! Sorry about that.

Quote:
I have, in fact, already explained my position on this.
OK then. Thanks for the restatement.

Quote:
That's not really for you to say. I will concede that I have continually failed to solve your problems, though. What is it about this topic that bothers you so much?
I already told you what was bothering me so much.

Quote:
Do you think there's anything seriously wrong with Michelle Obama telling people she's their forever first lady?
Not really. After all, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Quote:
Do you think there's anything seriously wrong with her picking up Nick Cannon's idea of her being a forever first lady and running with it?

Quote:
I don't. I think it's mildly amusing and a little bit silly. You seem to be taking it a lot more seriously than I am. Hell, at this point I think maybe you're taking it a lot more seriously than Michelle Obama did.
I sure was taking it seriously.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:36 AM   #112
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry about that. I tried to make the thread title as clear as possible.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:37 AM   #113
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

OK then. Thanks for the clarification.

You are right and I was wrong.

My mistake! Sorry about that.

OK then. Thanks for the restatement.

I already told you what was bothering me so much.

I sure was taking it seriously.
All's well that ends well! I apologize for any frustration I may have caused.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:45 AM   #114
Emily's Cat

My two cents is that it was a topic about "well this is silly" combined with "oops, didn't realize this was two years ago, that's why no masks" followed by "OMG You're horrible and let's argue!!!!"

But I could be wrong.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:47 AM   #115
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My two cents is that it was a topic about "well this is silly" combined with "oops, didn't realize this was two years ago, that's why no masks" followed by "OMG You're horrible and let's argue!!!!"

But I could be wrong.
You're right about the first two, as far as I'm concerned. The third is something others added to the topic.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:34 AM   #116
Emily's Cat

You're right about the first two, as far as I'm concerned. The third is something others added to the topic.
I wasn't attributing all of it to you.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:53 AM   #117
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't attributing all of it to you.
I figured, but I couldn't resist belaboring the point. Sorry 'bout that!
Old 7th May 2020, 11:13 AM   #118
Emily's Cat

No worries
Old 7th May 2020, 11:30 AM   #119
carlitos
"más divertido"

Why are you down?
Is it the rumor that another boy wants to take your place?
I hear he's after your heart.
Have you been hearin' the stories?
They're goin' around.
All of my friends are talkin'.
Baby, just remember I gave you my heart,
ain't no-one gonna tear us apart.
He can promise the moon and the stars above,
even if he promised me the world;
Just remember I'm forever your girl.

--Dr P. Abdul, the real Forever First Lady!
This just played on my work Pandora, while I was doing manual labor -- put a little pep in my step.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 12:01 AM   #120
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

If we are to take the quote literally then this is a logical statement of the form 'if a then b'. Michelle Obama did not state categorically that she was 'your forever first lady', only that if she could be then everyone in the audience could do anything they 'put their mind to'. Since just 'putting your mind to' something doesn't mean you can do it, the condition ('standing here as your forever first lady') likely evaluates to false.

But she started the sentence with "I know that you are me". Clearly this was not meant literally, therefore we can presume the rest was not literal either. So just as 'you are me' doesn't mean multiple people are literally the same person, so 'your forever fist lady' doesn't literally mean the Forever First Lady, but merely a first lady whom members of the audience might consider to be 'theirs'.

So clearly this was not an attempt to claim the title of Forever First Lady, but just a typical motivational speech that you might hear anywhere.

I thought it was mildly amusing and a little bit silly. Should I be taking it more seriously, do you think?
I don't think it was 'amusing' or 'silly' so in that respect yes, I think you should take it more 'seriously'. Do you think that motivational speeches in general are 'amusing' or 'silly'? If so then you should rethink - because they work (and not always in a good way). Whether you agree with the content or not, you should take it seriously because people are motivated by them.

But I don't think that is your reason. There are plenty of other speeches you could have chosen as examples, so why this one? What makes it stand out from the others enough to warrant starting this thread? Knowing your posting history I can guess the answer - partisanship. The OP says more about you than Michelle Obama.

Quote:
I reject the "not my president" theory of American politics. If she's the First Lady, she's everybody's First Lady.
Fine, but that theory doesn't apply here. Nobody (except perhaps you) was implying that anyone thinks the current First Lady should not be recognized as such.

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 11th May 2020 at 12:05 AM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics