IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges

Old 13th May 2020, 03:39 AM   #41
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Thanks. But why did you put them in a quote block? Were they from somewhere else? And why did you say you don't have a top ten, and then post a top ten? Do you mean to say that this top ten is only tentative, and eligible for revision?

No idea what you're talking about here.
Were what he posted lies from Trump?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 04:29 AM   #42
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Are we picking the top ten he told this week? Because otherwise there is a huge list to look through....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 04:47 AM   #43
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Next up: Top Ten Grains of Sand on The Beach
Old 13th May 2020, 06:07 AM   #44
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks. But why did you put them in a quote block? Were they from somewhere else? And why did you say you don't have a top ten, and then post a top ten? Do you mean to say that this top ten is only tentative, and eligible for revision?
Just a post formatting thing. These are just lies I could remember while typing the post. I would have to do some actual research to determine which of his lies out of the thousands told are the worst.

No idea what you're talking about here.
Recall your post about Carlson Tucker's clumsy attempt to slander the security guard who was shot by Paddock during the Vegas mass shooting? You claimed that some of the forty questions asked by Tucker were good; I thought they were mostly trash from a soft-ball pundit intended to slander a decent person.

You refused to go into detail on which of the trash were good questions because further discussion might trigger someone. Rather chicken-**** of you to say that I think.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 06:09 AM   #45
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Too easy! Everyone wants to know which are the top ten hydrogen atoms in the Universe.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 06:46 AM   #46
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

This thread in a nutshell.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 06:57 AM   #47
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Too easy! Everyone wants to know which are the top ten hydrogen atoms in the Universe.
All you guys ever talk about is sand on the beach or hydrogen in the universe, then when questioned you're suddenly all trying to change the topic or avoid the issue.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:18 AM   #48
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

There are so many Trump lies that it is difficult for me to properly sort them out.

However, my favorite Trumps lie is:

"I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius … and a very stable genius at that!"

Last edited by Crossbow; 13th May 2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Quote correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:27 AM   #49
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

You guys made a list of 10 lies............

So, you can only list 10 lies he's made and you want to call him a liar?[/drinks-a-lot sophistry]
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:30 AM   #50
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Recall your post about Carlson Tucker's clumsy attempt to slander the security guard who was shot by Paddock during the Vegas mass shooting? You claimed that some of the forty questions asked by Tucker were good; I thought they were mostly trash from a soft-ball pundit intended to slander a decent person.
Oh, Jeez...that? You expected me to remember the security guards last name was Campos?
Quote:
You refused to go into detail on which of the trash were good questions because further discussion might trigger someone. Rather chicken-**** of you to say that I think.
Not my recollection of how it went down at all. Likely your imagination is at play.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:31 AM   #51
dmaker
Graduate Poster

My favorite Trump lie just might be:

"When I can, I try to tell the truth"
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:31 AM   #52
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
So we get to post our views and sir-drinks-a-lot gets to try to lord over the thread while picking and choosing what he wants to attack without ever needing to present his own views? Sure. Sounds great to me.
What in your view is the difference between starting a thread that asks a question and 'lording over' a thread?
Old 13th May 2020, 07:41 AM   #53
Parsman
Muse

Sir Drinks-a-lot, would you at least accept that Trump in his time in office has told more than 10 lies and that picking a Top 10 list is therefore possible?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:51 AM   #54
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, Jeez...that? You expected me to remember the security guards last name was Campos?
I don't expect you to remember anything about a crime victim you seem to despise.

Not my recollection of how it went down at all. Likely your imagination is at play.
I'm looking at your post right now. Actually I was a bit inaccurate in my post above. You decided that "everyone has already been triggered enough".
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:56 AM   #55
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Sir Drinks-a-lot, would you at least accept that Trump in his time in office has told more than 10 lies and that picking a Top 10 list is therefore possible?
Absolutely.

In addition to at least 10 lies, he's had many bizarre blunders, and lots of fibs, exaggerations, etc. many of which could also be counted as "lies" if one wished to do so.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:58 AM   #56
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'm looking at your post right now. Actually I was a bit inaccurate in my post above. You decided that "everyone has already been triggered enough".
That sounds more like it. Although that was 3 years ago and I don't recall the details. Except that everyone was triggered.
Old 13th May 2020, 08:02 AM   #57
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds more like it. Although that was 3 years ago and I don't recall the details. Except that everyone was triggered.
I'm not buying that excuse. Was I triggered because I provided a list of questions that you refused to talk about? Why would you slander a crime victim like that anyway?
Old 13th May 2020, 09:20 AM   #58
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ten? Here are 30 without even going to the next page.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:35 AM   #59
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Who cares which lies I identify as top 10? You don't care and I doubt anyone else does either.

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that you are unable to locate 5 continuous minutes of Trump speaking, sans teleprompter, without telling at least one whopper.

For those who have already posted lists... "I'm a very stable genius" is a poor choice. It's probable the imbecile actually believes that.

Except, Trump went to High School and College. Although no one can see the records. I consider it a lie when you don't know something and just make it up. But my guess is the only one who has ever referred to Trump as a genius is Trump himself.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:37 AM   #60
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Entry number four, on the danger of vaccines.

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th May 2020 at 11:10 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 10:38 AM   #61
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ten? Here are 30 without even going to the next page.

Hah! You didn't define which were the Top Ten, libtard! You lose!
Old 13th May 2020, 10:40 AM   #62
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Hah! You didn't define which were the Top Ten, libtard! You lose!
I knew that was coming, but was hoping it would be from the OP!
Old 13th May 2020, 12:18 PM   #63
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Entry #5 - Winning the popular vote.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...72944532209664

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th May 2020 at 12:20 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 02:32 PM   #64
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I didn’t use a single standard in choosing specific lies. I picked these for a variety of reasons.

1) Mexico will pay for the wall / I never said Mexico will pay for the wall directly.
I cannot include every I-never-said-that lie, so I picked this one to be representative
2) After saying in an interview that women should be punished for having abortions, “That was a hypothetical question. That was not a wrong answer. There were other people that wrote me letters by the hundreds saying that was a great answer to that question the way it was raised.
I’m fascinated by the childishness of it.
3) Dishwashers -- we did the dishwasher, right? You press it -- remember the dishwasher, you'd press it, boom, there'd be like an explosion, five minutes later you open it up, the steam pours out, the dishes. Now, you press it 12 times. Women tell me. Again, you know, they give you four drops of water. And they're in places where there's so much water, they don't know what to do with it. So we just came out with a reg on dishwashers -- we're going back to you. By the way, by the time they press it 10 times, you spend more on water -- and electric! Don't forget. The whole thing is worse because you're spending all that money on electric. So we're bringing back standards that are great."
The lie is that the most modern Dishwashers use more electricity and water to achieve the same level of cleanliness as the older ones. I chose this one for the stupidity.
4) Once you account for the [4-6 million] fraudulent votes, you see that I won the popular vote.
I chose this partly for the outlandishness And partly for the hypocrisy. He still hasn’t nominated anyone to the board of the Federal Election Commission, so the board lacks a quorum and cannot do its job.
5) I said “Tim Cook Apple” but the mic didn’t catch my saying his last name. (Then less than 24 hours later) I said “Tim Apple” to be efficient and save time.
I chose these to illustrate that he doesn’t even make an effort to be consistent in his lies.

I have to run. I hope to get 5 more up here soon.
Old 13th May 2020, 03:32 PM   #65
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I have to run. I hope to get 5 more up here soon.

Typical low-energy beta male. So Sad!
Old 13th May 2020, 04:15 PM   #66
autumn1971
Illuminator

Probably the best list so far, although you gave twelve instead of ten. If that wasn't bad enough, you offered to give even more after your poker game. C'mon; that's what they call it a top ten. It's up to you to narrow it down. Still, I appreciate the response.

Enjoy the game, and remember my favorite rule about Poker: if you look around the poker table and don't see a patsy, you're the patsy.
Oh dear, you haven’t spotted the patsy, have you?
And at your own table.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 04:38 PM   #67
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Entry #6 - Trump lies about Urkaine, “They have the server from the DNC.”

https://time.com/5737098/trump-advan...ews-interview/

Old 13th May 2020, 05:05 PM   #68
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking about Trump lies, this is hilarious. Must watch.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th May 2020, 05:29 PM   #69
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Entry #7 - “My administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country” - DJT, Sep-18

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th May 2020, 05:32 PM   #70
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the "mental illness" thread or here, but there's certainly some lies in it- this is Trump's response to a softball question from a Fox News host about the message he would like to send to mothers on Mother's Day (it's a screengrab from a Twitter account, the only transcript I could find- click to enlarge)-

I love the way the "do you have a message for the moms?" was repeated- I can kind of imagine the tone of voice, and maybe the tone of face, on that repeat.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 05:53 PM   #71
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Entry #8

"I was the person who saved Pre-Existing Conditions in your Healthcare..."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...16337822695425

In reality, the Trump Administration was fighting to invalidate the ACA in the courts: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...re-case-118643

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th May 2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 13th May 2020, 05:58 PM   #72
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Did any of his weddings to date include vows of fidelity?
Old 13th May 2020, 06:46 PM   #73
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Did any of his weddings to date include vows of fidelity?
I also wonder if it said anything in the prenup agreement that I'm sure he insisted on one.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:51 PM   #74
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Sent from my AGM-86B using Tapatalk
Entry #9 - Bone spurs.

Old 13th May 2020, 08:28 PM   #75
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

And finally, #10

I AGREE

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 13th May 2020, 08:53 PM   #76
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Top Ten Trump lies, based on my entirely subjective criteria:
  1. Global warming is a Chinese hoax
  2. COVID-19 will be gone in a couple of days
  3. Mexico will pay for the wall
  4. Vaccines cause autism
  5. Trump won the actual popular vote
  6. Ukraine has the DNC server
  7. Trump administration is historically accomplished
  8. Trump saved healthcare for those w/ pre-existing conditions
  9. Bone spurs prevented Trump from serving in uniform
  10. Thousands of Arab Americans celebrated on 9/11
That's it for now, but I'd be happy to field any questions.

I'm sure there are some lies that are more bold (e.g. claiming to be his own publicist), more quantifiable (e.g. property valuations for tax purposes), more potentially consequential (e.g. written answers to Mueller) but these are the ones which happen to stand out most in my memory.

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th May 2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:06 PM   #77
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

He's a good one for this topic that is very appropriate.

Trump Tweets

Obama was always wrong!

/Thread
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 11:42 PM   #78
Cain
Straussian

For your consideration..

[Global Warming is a hoax fabricated by the Chinese]
I like how Clinton quoted that tweet and Trump immediately denied ever saying it. But one of my favorite lies from that debate is when she told viewers to visit HillaryClinton.com for live fact-checking, and Trump said, "Visit mine also and you'll see." Except his team was never set up for fact-checking.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 12:41 AM   #79
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Top Ten Trump lies, based on my entirely subjective criteria:
  1. Global warming is a Chinese hoax
  2. COVID-19 will be gone in a couple of days
  3. Mexico will pay for the wall
  4. Vaccines cause autism
  5. Trump won the actual popular vote
  6. Ukraine has the DNC server
  7. Trump administration is historically accomplished
  8. Trump saved healthcare for those w/ pre-existing conditions
  9. Bone spurs prevented Trump from serving in uniform
  10. Thousands of Arab Americans celebrated on 9/11
That's it for now, but I'd be happy to field any questions.

I'm sure there are some lies that are more bold (e.g. claiming to be his own publicist), more quantifiable (e.g. property valuations for tax purposes), more potentially consequential (e.g. written answers to Mueller) but these are the ones which happen to stand out most in my memory.
I'm sure that the response from Trump supporters to those would be something like :
  1. It is. Global warming doesn't exist, it snowed in New York last week
  2. And it would have been had not Obama left the cupboard bare and if States' governors, especially in blue states, been better prepared. At the time he said it, it was true
  3. The "Pay for the Wall" statement didn't ever mean that Mexico will cut a check for the wall - instead Mexico is now bearing the cost of a fairer trade deal and enhanced immigration controls, that's how they are paying for the wall
  4. They do cause autism. If every child were vaccinated then every child with autism would have been vaccinated and thus the vaccine must cause autism.
  5. It's true. Several million illegals voted, mostly in California and the Deep State has covered up the evidence. The absence of any evidence of large-scale voter fraud is clear proof that it is taking place and that the Deep State is covering it up
  6. It does and the Deep State is preventing its release and/or Donald Trump was told that it did and so wasn't lying when he said that - the Deep State operatives fed him lies to make him look bad
  7. It depends on what you count as an accomplishment. Something like the ACA or civil rights amendments are negative accomplishments. The Trump Administration has done more than any other administration to look after the interests of their supporters and donors
  8. People still get coverage for them - ergo he must have saved it
  9. He got four educational deferments, so that was the primary cause of him not serving - not bone spurs
  10. They did, just because they weren't captured on film (or maybe they were) doesn't mean that they weren't celebrating.

Last edited by The Don; 14th May 2020 at 12:43 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 12:58 AM   #80
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I have total net worth of $8.73bn

his biggest lie IMO, simply because it's both inaccurate and dishonest.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics