IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:18 PM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump's honest and accurate statements: The Top Ten

Anything?
Anyone?
Old 12th May 2020, 10:25 PM   #2
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Uhhh... his name.
He’s president...

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 10:29 PM   #3
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is a tough one.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:43 PM   #4
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Easy.
  1. "I never understood wind." (speech about the evils of windmills)
  2. "It's a great honor." (multiple instances)
  3. "You have local governments."(Covid-19 response)
  4. "There's been nothing like it since." (Covid-19 response, defense production act)
  5. "On Friday, the FDA authorized coronavirus antigen tests, an alternative testing technology that can be much more readily manufactured."
  6. "Most states are now doing a great job." (Covid-19 response)
  7. "Today, I'm announcing that my administration will provide the collection supplies to help states meet their targets and meet them rapidly." (he really did make that announcement)
  8. "This global pandemic has inflicted great pain and hardship on our people."
  9. "With the dedication of our doctors and nurses -- these are incredible people, these are brave people, these are warriors (...)"
  10. "We have very few people coming in -- very, very few." (border with Mexico during the pandemic)

The trick is in lowering your expectations far enough while still demanding the statement itself is factual.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 12th May 2020 at 10:44 PM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 11:21 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"I take no responsibility."

"We have 50 governors and territories, by the way. People don't ever mentioned that. We have territories. We have 50 governors and territories."

“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.”

“I don’t think anybody should listen to me because I haven’t really focused on it very much.”

“I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier.”

Whew. That was difficult. I had to wade through a ton of bull to find a few that were actually true.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 11:49 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I was thinking of the 'Fifth Avenue' line and I still think that he would lose voters.
The one he shot, for a start.
Old 12th May 2020, 11:57 PM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I was thinking of the 'Fifth Avenue' line and I still think that he would lose voters.
Not anymore. Those still stupid enough to vote for him after the last 3.5 years wouldn't care. And, he'd be sure to shoot a Democrat.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 01:36 AM   #8
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

"I could shoot someone on 5th avenue and you idiots would still support me."
"I didn't know people died from the flu."
"I take no responsibility."
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 01:49 AM   #9
Worm
Illuminator

"I'm not a doctor."

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 02:07 AM   #10
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. His disciples would decide, with or without evidence, that has had perfect right to pull the trigger. Any evidence to the contrary would be fake news and a Deep State conspiracy. Even if he was overheard bragging about murdering the man in cold blood, they'd find some way to excuse or ignore that. It'd be the Billy Bush tape all over again.

Also, (while jumping up and down and/or stomping their feet) "but but but Clinton/Obama/the 2019 flu got people killed toooooo!11!".
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 02:22 AM   #11
Ulf Nereng
Muse

To be fair, he probably makes several true statements every day. Things like "I want a hamberder", "Imma go golfing now", "I like ketchup with my hamberder". "This is good weather for golfing", "You can eat hamberders while golfing!", "This is good weather for eating hamberders outdoors", "Looks like there is some ketchup on my golfball", and so on!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 02:24 AM   #12
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Since no one has appeared with a top 10 list, I can only conclude Trump never tells the truth.

Am I doing it right? I didn't really get the point of that other thread, but I think that's it.
Old 13th May 2020, 03:52 AM   #13
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
To be fair, he probably makes several true statements every day. Things like "I want a hamberder", "Imma go golfing now", "I like ketchup with my hamberder". "This is good weather for golfing", "You can eat hamberders while golfing!", "This is good weather for eating hamberders outdoors", "Looks like there is some ketchup on my golfball", and so on!
Hilarious!
Old 13th May 2020, 04:36 AM   #14
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Just to be balanced here are some to choose from....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 05:41 AM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"We'll see what happens."

If there was any other statement that was more true, I can't think of one.
Old 13th May 2020, 05:49 AM   #16
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

There are so many honest and outrageous Trump statements, that is difficult for me to immediately sort them out. But my all time favorite is:

“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters,” Trump said.

Last edited by Crossbow; 13th May 2020 at 07:21 AM. Reason: My first comment was in the wrong thread!
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 05:57 AM   #17
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
The one that immediately comes to my mind is:

"I am a very stable genius."

A stable genius.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 06:00 AM   #18
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Anything?
Anyone?
I expect politicians to be honest. I know I'm being unreasonable, but it's what I want. So when they tell the truth it doesn't stick in my memory. The lies tend to though.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 07:07 AM   #19
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I don't know if we'll actually be able to find a list of 10 things, but surely "I take no responsibility" has got to be #1. It so perfectly encapsulates his entire presidency, if not his entire life.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:16 AM   #20
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Of water: ‘‘It comes down. It’s called rain.”

This has the air of truth about it: “I love trucks of all types. Even when I was a little boy at 4 years old my mother would say, ‘you love trucks,’ I do. I always loved trucks. I still do.”
Old 13th May 2020, 08:03 AM   #21
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

There are quite a few so it would be tough to choose just ten.

But saying he was going to win the election probably ranks near the top.
Old 13th May 2020, 08:07 AM   #22
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

Ha ha... it’s funny because his failures as a president have lead to thousands of deaths and economic devastation.

So much winning.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 08:32 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And all the times he said he wouldn’t?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 12:01 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That one fails on two levels:

- that was not something he could have know with certainty beforehand
and
- he often said he won't (as mentioned)

Why don't you first look for statements of Trump not contradicting himself?
Might be worth its own thread...
Old 14th May 2020, 05:18 AM   #25
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

“There will be a lot of death.”
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 12:08 PM   #26
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I don't know if we'll actually be able to find a list of 10 things, but surely "I take no responsibility" has got to be #1. It so perfectly encapsulates his entire presidency, if not his entire life.
Just came here to type this.
Old 15th May 2020, 05:23 AM   #27
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

He actually does blurt out what he honestly thinks out fairly often, especially when he's in a small space with a small audience instead of putting on a show, or he's doing a show but he's gotten flustered and off-script. So then satisfying the request in this thread title is just a matter of catching the ones that are also accurate. And I'm sure there are hundreds/thousands to choose from, if one were to bother going through transcripts of everything he's said, and still at least dozens/hundreds even if we narrowed it down to only statements with political relevance.

The first example of the former that comes to mind is when he (not knowing he was being recorded) clearly stated that Bernie would be the toughest opponent and why: because his message is pushing for stuff the people want. The first example of the latter that comes to mind is when he got a little bit of challenge/pushback from a reporter about his being against mail-in voting and had another one of his outbursts during which he admitted that what he really cared about was how much that would tilt future election outcomes against Republicans.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 05:32 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Anything?
Anyone?
"I don't take responsibility at all"
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 07:32 PM   #29
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Even he didn't think he was going to win as evidenced by the fact that he didn't have a transition team put together. Claiming he was going to win was all his usual bluster. As they say, a broken clock....
Old 15th May 2020, 07:34 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"I don't take responsibility at all"
That's the most truthful of them all.
Old 16th May 2020, 01:29 AM   #31
Susheel
Illuminator

You seem to have abandoned the thread about Trump lies that you started. But please enlighten us. Other posters have tried hard and posted some.
Old 20th May 2020, 05:17 AM   #32
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Entry #2 - Trump's earnest yearning for a new BFF

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...91326112112640

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th May 2020 at 05:37 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 06:04 AM   #33
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Entry #2 - Trump's earnest yearning for a new BFF

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...91326112112640

Referenced Twitter quote provided for Forum Members' convenience...
Quote:
Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow - if so, will he become my new best friend?
(eta)
The Tweet is from 2013.
Quote:
10:17 PM · Jun 18, 2013·Twitter for Android

Last edited by alfaniner; 20th May 2020 at 06:05 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 06:38 AM   #34
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Referenced Twitter quote provided for Forum Members' convenience...
Thank you.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:23 AM   #35
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Even he didn't think he was going to win as evidenced by the fact that he didn't have a transition team put together. Claiming he was going to win was all his usual bluster. As they say, a broken clock....
It may be true that he didn't really expect to win the election...

But I don't think Trump's mishandling of the transition is evidence for that. I am more likely to think his problems with the transition were due to basic incompetence (not understanding how important the process is, inability to select competent people) rather than not really expecting to win.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 06:15 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

But I don't think Trump's mishandling of the transition is evidence for that. I am more likely to think his problems with the transition were due to basic incompetence (not understanding how important the process is, inability to select competent people) rather than not really expecting to win.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
As incompetent as we know Trump is, surely there was someone high up in his campaign who knew there had to be a transition team. Michael Glassner, Rick Wiley, Ken McKay all had experience in campaign management.

According to Wolff's book:

Quote:
...Don Jr. said his father "looked as if he had seen a ghost. Melania was in tears—and not of joy." Steve Bannon, who helped run the Trump campaign and helped Trump's team through the transition, said he saw Trump morph from "a disbelieving Trump and then into a horrified Trump."
I remember the look on Melania's face; like a deer in the headlights. And she didn't look happy at the inauguration, either.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:30 PM   #37
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:

As incompetent as we know Trump is, surely there was someone high up in his campaign who knew there had to be a transition team.
Oh I'm sure there were plenty of people around who knew how important the Transition was... I just have doubts whether Trump was actually listening to any of them.

Chris Christie actually started a Transition team. He told Trump it was legally required. Trump complained about it, claiming that it was 'stealing his money'.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 06:38 PM   #38
Lurch
Master Poster

One could be forgiven for thinking that, due to Trump's winning the WH when he did not want nor expect to, he would subsequently effectively say, "You idiots were dumb enough to elect me? Well **** you!"

More seriously, his aim of running in '16 as a vehicle for self promotion in advance of some media empire launch would go some way toward explaining his utter disinterest in and indifference to the job of POTUS. Over and above his incompetence, stupidity and laziness. His only real motivation for hanging on now is to keep his larded ass out of jail. But even then he's hell bent on sabotaging that.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 06:45 PM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Oh I'm sure there were plenty of people around who knew how important the Transition was... I just have doubts whether Trump was actually listening to any of them.

Chris Christie actually started a Transition team. He told Trump it was legally required. Trump complained about it, claiming that it was 'stealing his money'.
Sounds like an excuse not to spend money he didn't think he was going to need.

I read in a link not more than an hour ago that years ago, Trump said "If you want to be a big TV star, run for a political office.*" I can keep looking for it if you'd like.

* paraphrasing to best of my memory, but accurate sentiment.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:15 PM   #40
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think the only TV work he's going to be able to get after this is something cringeworthy, like "Celebrity Naked and Afraid XS".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics