IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 25th May 2020, 07:01 AM   #241
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Some stories about the fact that in order to get outside and perhaps, even a little exercise, I played golf over the weekend. The Fake & Totally Corrupt News makes it sound like a mortal sin - I knew this would happen! What they don’t say is that it was my first golf in almost...

....3 months and, if I waited 3 years, they would do their usual “hit” pieces anyway. They are sick with hatred and dishonesty. They are truly deranged! They don’t mention Sleepy Joe’s poor work ethic, or all of the time Obama spent on the golf course, often flying to....

....Hawaii in a big, fully loaded 747, to play. What did that do to the so-called Carbon Footprint? He also played moments after the brutal killing by ISIS of a wonderful young man. Totally inappropriate - and it was me who shattered 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. I was left a MESS!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 07:04 AM   #242
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

TRANSITION TO GREATNESS! Get ready, it is already happening again!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

OBAMAGATE!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 07:06 AM   #243
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I love the Great State of North Carolina, so much so that I insisted on having the Republican National Convention in Charlotte at the end of August. Unfortunately, Democrat Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in Shutdown mood & unable to guarantee that by August we will be allowed...

...made by many thousands of enthusiastic Republicans, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August. They must be immediately given an answer by the Governor as to whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied. If not, we will be reluctantly forced...

...to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site. This is not something I want to do. Thank you, and I LOVE the people of North Carolina!
Old 25th May 2020, 07:12 AM   #244
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump thinks Roger Ailes is in Heaven?
Because no one else thinks that.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:59 AM   #245
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
What? Does he have incentives?
Yes.

Had to look it up.

Compensation. Since 2001, the president's annual salary has been $400,000, along with a: $50,000 expense allowance; $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 entertainment account.”

So, his stated range is not exactly wrong, just imprecise as usual.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:01 AM   #246
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Is "transitioning" really such a good term for a GOP slogan?
Old 25th May 2020, 08:04 AM   #247
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
To clarify, Trump is making another attempt at name-calling here (he's used this several times before.) It's actually MSNBC, a decidedly left-leaning network. But he calls it MSDNC because he's "cleverly" alluding that the DNC (Democratic National Committee) runs it.
I don't believe MSNBC is left leaning at all, except when compared to Fox News and OAN. They are more and more right leaning as conservatives flee from the Trump party and Trump networks to MSNBC.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:06 AM   #248
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Veteran's gave their lives for our freedom...Only to have Trump kill over 100K of us for his personal pursuits.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:18 AM   #249
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
OK, I take your point.

So what is the situation when the government tries to censor what a private company says? Which is what it would be if Trump wanted the government to shut down or otherwise control Twitter.
Absolutely a 1A violation. Which most Trumpers and many Trump-appointed judges would be just fine with.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:49 AM   #250
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:55 AM   #251
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Didn't the idiot also wish a Happy Good Friday?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:20 AM   #252
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Plus there's an old saying, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt".

I want to see Trump's tweets, the more the better. At a minimum it gives us an insight to what he really thinks, and something to laugh about. Hopefully it will also help turn people away from him and convince them that he needs to be removed.

Much of the junk I see here quoted as being tweeted by Trump isn’t written by trump. I don’t know or care what a “retweet” signifies in terms of belief but it’s a lot less insight than his own words would give us.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:27 AM   #253
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Even Jesus wasn't treated as badly as Trump has been!
Old 25th May 2020, 09:37 AM   #254
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Even Jesus wasn't treated as badly as Trump has been!
Trump is the chosen one, not Jesus.
Old 25th May 2020, 09:46 AM   #255
Meadmaker

“I will never apologize for supporting the issues that candidate Trump advocated, but I am deeply sorry for thinking that this shallow and broken man would show even some remote fealty to the promises that got him elected.”

Ann Coulter, May, 2020.

Ann has really turned on Trump, in a big way. I was surprised at the vitriol of her tweets, although vitriol and Ann kind of go together. For some more examples, see this article: https://www.mediaite.com/news/you-co...king-sessions/

Her message, now, seems to be fairly simple. As a person, Donald Trump is thoroughly awful, regardless of his tendency toward conservative policies. Furthermore, she has grown to recognize that his conservatism isn't even authentic or held out of an ideology, but is totally self serving.

I only hope that among people who voted for him in 2016, more of them grow to see that.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:48 AM   #256
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Much of the junk I see here quoted as being tweeted by Trump isn’t written by trump. I don’t know or care what a “retweet” signifies in terms of belief but it’s a lot less insight than his own words would give us.
Most of the stuff written by Trump isn't written by Trump. He is not exactly the kind of deeply introspective man who fills his words with gleanable insight.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I only hope that among people who voted for him in 2016, more of them grow to see that.
"We want authenticity in our corrupt, racist demagogues" is not the lesson I would hope they learn, but it would be a baby step in a better direction.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 25th May 2020 at 09:53 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:50 AM   #257
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It was the BEST Friday. Much better than Obama’s.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 10:05 AM   #258
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

What it is, is an insight into what he's reading. The **** we see is just the **** he re-tweets, imagine what other **** he sees that he doesn't re-tweet.

We know he doesn't read anything of substance, like intelligence briefings, but it's scary to see what he is reading. Scary, but necessary.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:12 AM   #259
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trump is the chosen one, not Jesus.
At some point I'm waiting for the religious right to turn on trump. To say, "Hey waita minute. He isn't the chosen one. He's a false prophet sent by satan to deceive."

I'm not religious but that actually makes more sense to me. I have a sister-in-law who is religious, she belongs to an evangelical Christian church, but it's more of an inner-city variety with many Hispanic members. That's what she has come to believe, that trump is doing the devil's work. She's dismayed that so many Christians have "been taken in." That they really need to wake up and open their eyes. She said she's discussed this with some of her fellow congregants informally. Troubled by the thought, they spoke to their pastor. The pastor said he is conflicted. Not sure what to make of trump. He said he's praying for guidance.

They're not alone. Below is a quote from Pacific Standard website, though it's from last summer.
Quote:
New research reports that, while 17.2 percent of Americans believe Trump's election "is a reflection of God's will," 27.7 percent believe he is "working for the devil." That same percentage replied affirmatively to the statement: "The devil is using Donald Trump for his purposes." [And] "32 percent of voters endorsed that 'the devil played a role in this election.'"Link to website report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Chosen One.jpg (66.6 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 10:33 AM   #260
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
At some point I'm waiting for the religious right to turn on trump. To say, "Hey waita minute. He isn't the chosen one. He's a false prophet sent by satan to deceive."

I'm not religious but that actually makes more sense to me. I have a sister-in-law who is religious, she belongs to an evangelical Christian church, but it's more of an inner-city variety with many Hispanic members. That's what she has come to believe, that trump is doing the devil's work. She's dismayed that so many Christians have "been taken in." That they really need to wake up and open their eyes. She said she's discussed this with some of her fellow congregants informally. Troubled by the thought, they spoke to their pastor. The pastor said he is conflicted. Not sure what to make of trump. He said he's praying for guidance.

They're not alone. Below is a quote from Pacific Standard website, though it's from last summer.
There are some who think Trump is the Antichrist, and if you read the scripture, it is very easy to fit his description to Trump.
Very, very easy.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:42 AM   #261
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

That's ******* nonsense. It's not just some rando, it's the President of the United States and what he retweets provides a ton of insight into what he's thinking. Further, his brief comments attached to the tweets make clear that they are messages with which he wants to associate himself and his office.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 10:46 AM   #262
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Anything Trump lets someone Tweet from his account comes from POTUS, personally, as far as the Official Records Act is concerned.
Anything Trump doesn't take down must be presumed to have his consent.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:05 AM   #263
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

FWIW, Trump's claim not to have been golfing for 3 months is a lie, but not as big a lie as you might assume. From the Trump Golf Count, the last three times he's been golfing are:

Quote:
05/24/2020
05/23/2020
03/08/2020
Old 25th May 2020, 11:44 AM   #264
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sean Parnell is an American Hero. Connor Lamm has proven to be an American fraud, and a puppet for Crazy Nancy Pelosi. He said he would NOT vote for her for Speaker, and did. Will kill 2A. Voted to impeach (on nothing). A TOTAL & COMPLETE Sean Parnell Endorsement!

I have zero interest in moving the Republican National Convention to Doral in Miami, as falsely reported by the Fake News @nytimes in order to stir up trouble. Ballroom is not nearly big enough & would like to stay in N.C., whose gov. doesn’t even know if he can let people in?
Old 25th May 2020, 11:47 AM   #265
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I have zero interest in moving the Republican National Convention to Doral in Miami, as falsely reported by the Fake News @nytimes in order to stir up trouble. Ballroom is not nearly big enough & would like to stay in N.C., whose gov. doesn’t even know if he can let people in?
Sure is a nice convention plan you've made for us. Would be a shame if you didn't open your state like we's askin' you to and we had to go elsewhere.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 12:09 PM   #266
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

I don't know much about evangelical teaching, but a core principle seems to be that the Devil is real, and he is always working to tempt us and trick us. It has always surprised me that someone with Trump's history of fraud, corruption, adultery, sexual escapades, ignorance and crudeness never inspired a preacher to say "Wait a minute! Who made this guy the Chosen One? Is the Devil playing games with us?"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 12:10 PM   #267
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Schools in our country should be opened ASAP. Much very good information now available.

I give, and have given from the beginning, my entire yearly salary, $400,000 to $450,000, back to our government. Last check to HHS Covid relief. My great honor!
It helps pay a little of what ONE of his golf trips down to Mar a Lago costs.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 12:12 PM   #268
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Sure is a nice convention plan you've made for us. Would be a shame if you didn't open your state like we's askin' you to and we had to go elsewhere.
What would be fascinating would be if he tried to move it, and all the big cities said "Not here!" The Repubs will love the facilities and infrastructure of Fargo, ND, or Butte, MT.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 12:29 PM   #269
StillSleepy
Muse

I remember my history/economics teacher friend (who is both conservative and Pentacostal) didn't like Trump at all because people kept trying to make him an American Messiah despite his history. He took his religion very seriously.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 01:05 PM   #270
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Absolutely a 1A violation. Which most Trumpers and many Trump-appointed judges would be just fine with.
Yeah, pretty much, and that's exactly what Trump has pushed for. Still, the larger strategy, when it comes to the Right, has been more in line with creating "noise," accusing Democrats of doing what Republicans are doing and intending to do as cover (which is pretty much where the 1st Amendment stuff falls), and pushing hard to teach people to commit logical fallacies like crazy.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There are some who think Trump is the Antichrist, and if you read the scripture, it is very easy to fit his description to Trump.
Very, very easy.
Spookily so.
Old 25th May 2020, 01:33 PM   #271
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great reviews on our handling of Covid 19, sometimes referred to as the China Virus. Ventilators, Testing, Medical Supply Distribution, we made a lot of Governors look very good - And got no credit for so doing. Most importantly, we helped a lot of great people!
Old 25th May 2020, 01:36 PM   #272
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Nobody in 50 years has been WEAKER on China than Sleepy Joe Biden. He was asleep at the wheel. He gave them EVERYTHING they wanted, including rip-off Trade Deals. I am getting it all back!

Sleepy Joe Biden (mostly his reps.) went crazy when I banned, in late January, people coming in from China. He called me “xenophobic” & then went equally “nuts” when we let in 44,000 people - until he was told they were American citizens coming home. He later apologized!
Old 25th May 2020, 02:04 PM   #273
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great reviews on our handling of Covid 19, sometimes referred to as the China Virus. Ventilators, Testing, Medical Supply Distribution, we made a lot of Governors look very good - And got no credit for so doing. Most importantly, we helped a lot of great people!
Hold on, Donnie! I'm bringing that cheese for your whine as fast as I can!

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 02:30 PM   #274
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

Sean Parnell is an American Hero. Connor Lamm has proven to be an American fraud, and a puppet for Crazy Nancy Pelosi. He said he would NOT vote for her for Speaker, and did. Will kill 2A. Voted to impeach (on nothing). A TOTAL & COMPLETE Sean Parnell Endorsement!

Yes, Mr. President. It is called gathering facts before making a decision. It is a common trait among the best leaders

Last edited by Ladewig; 25th May 2020 at 02:31 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 02:49 PM   #275
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't know much about evangelical teaching, but a core principle seems to be that the Devil is real, and he is always working to tempt us and trick us. It has always surprised me that someone with Trump's history of fraud, corruption, adultery, sexual escapades, ignorance and crudeness never inspired a preacher to say "Wait a minute! Who made this guy the Chosen One? Is the Devil playing games with us?"
Maybe evangelicals are saving that for after Trump either loses the next election or the White House is won by the Democrats....

Before Trump: "The president must be Moral. Clinton must be impeached for his affair!"

During Trump: "It doesn't matter if the president has cheated on his wife or has never been to church."

After Trump: "We were tricked by Satan! We now think the president must be a godly person after all, and will now proceed to attack the Democrats because we don't think the president is Christian enough."

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 03:14 PM   #276
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe evangelicals are saving that for after Trump either loses the next election or the White House is won by the Democrats....

Before Trump: "The president must be Moral. Clinton must be impeached for his affair!"

During Trump: "It doesn't matter if the president has cheated on his wife or has never been to church."

After Trump: "We were tricked by Satan! We now think the president must be a godly person after all, and will now proceed to attack the Democrats because we don't think the president is Christian enough."
Also before Trump:
Obama is possessed by demons!
Obama IS a demon!
Obama is the Antichrist!
Old 25th May 2020, 03:20 PM   #277
StillSleepy
Muse

Orange man good.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 04:54 PM   #278
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So back to this question of whether "social media has a left-wing bias."

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that were found to be true. And? So what of it?

It's not government media, it's SOCIAL media. Therefore, there are no restrictions on what it can and can't allow, at least politically. If they found there was discrimination against actual protected groups, that would be different.

Not that I believe it is true, but it's not the job of the government to control the speech on social media.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 05:14 PM   #279
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks. I stand educated.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 05:35 PM   #280
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
What it is, is an insight into what he's reading. The **** we see is just the **** he re-tweets, imagine what other **** he sees that he doesn't re-tweet.

We know he doesn't read anything of substance, like intelligence briefings, but it's scary to see what he is reading. Scary, but necessary.
When I met him he was reading World Net Daily, that was enough for me to figure him out.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics