IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 06:07 AM   #81
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think the way to predict who the VP will be is to predict what votes Biden thinks he needs to court to win. If he thinks he needs the Bernie Bros to turn out, it'll be one person, probably. If he thinks he needs black Democrats, it'll be another. If he thinks he needs white moderates, it'll be someone else. Etc.

The game for the next few weeks is going to be guessing who he needs, and which veep choice best fits that need.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:27 AM   #82
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think the way to predict who the VP will be is to predict what votes Biden thinks he needs to court to win. If he thinks he needs the Bernie Bros to turn out, it'll be one person, probably. If he thinks he needs black Democrats, it'll be another. If he thinks he needs white moderates, it'll be someone else. Etc.

The game for the next few weeks is going to be guessing who he needs, and which veep choice best fits that need.
It also benefits Biden to dangle this VP slot. So long as there's the chance of being selected, multiple viable candidates are going to bend over backwards attempting to curry favor. That incentive disappears the moment he makes a selection.
Old 26th May 2020, 07:08 AM   #83
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Despite his last gaff, Biden doesn't need a VP of color. He doesn't even need a women, but it wouldn't do to go back on that particular promise - or make sense, given the tremendous pool of highly qualified female democrats.
Old 26th May 2020, 07:58 AM   #84
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Despite his last gaff, Biden doesn't need a VP of color. He doesn't even need a women, but it wouldn't do to go back on that particular promise - or make sense, given the tremendous pool of highly qualified female democrats.
Biden's binders full of women.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:04 AM   #85
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The best VP Biden could pick would be a someone who could credibly run on their own in 2024.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:06 AM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The best VP Biden could pick would be a someone who could credibly run on their own in 2024.
Yep.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:10 AM   #87
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Stacey Abrams it is, then.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 08:18 AM   #88
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

That's a good point. I don't put much stock in the idea that is repeated that Biden's VP would be running the ship, but i could see the situation where he has to step down or chooses not to run in 2024 because of his advanced age.

The VP is obviously the person best positioned to win such an election, so selecting someone who is politically mature enough for the position is probably important.

Selecting a more junior politician could be a real error here.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:20 AM   #89
xjx388

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well, I said it was a joke because...it was.
Here you go, Skeptic Ginger. Maybe you guys can hash that out?

Quote:
Again, it's rather popular to slap black republicans, though it's generally more "Man, can't you see they don't respect you?" than ""you're a coon." among the more serious types. When Michael Steele became RNC Chair, the GOP put an incredible number of restrictions on what he could do, what he could spend, etc. without the approval of Moscow Mitch and the like - and when he raised a record sum of money for campaigns anyway, they immediately kicked him out.
OK, but I'm not sure what that has to do with Biden. Because Republicans treat black people badly, it's OK for Biden?

Quote:
Then wre have clowns and grifters like Candace Owens, who just a couple of weeks ago all but stated outright that Ahmaud Arbery deserved to be murdered, now trying to make something out of this - these folks tend to attract the outright insults, mostly because they happily tell white audiences about how lazy/stupid/violent/docile the vast majority of black people are, for money. It's not really Biden's place to say that these folks aren't really black...but on the other hand, I doubt they're respected in any major black community.
And is respect in major black communities a major determinant of what makes a person black? Interesting . . .
Old 26th May 2020, 08:23 AM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
That's a good point. I don't put much stock in the idea that is repeated that Biden's VP would be running the ship, but i could see the situation where he has to step down or chooses not to run in 2024 because of his advanced age.
It might be an issue if everyone else on the table as an option; be it Trump or any of other front running Democrat Candidates weren't just as old.

If Trump was some spry 45 year old Biden's age would be a concern but since everyone in the race is "Statistically Already Dead" years old I don't think it is in this situation.

Quote:
The VP is obviously the person best positioned to win such an election, so selecting someone who is politically mature enough for the position is probably important.

Selecting a more junior politician could be a real error here.
Again everyone on the table now or really at any point in this election cycle who were treated as viable candidates are... oldy oldie old. Not just old but elderly basically.

We don't have to jump straight from 70+ down to still has the umbilical cord attached, but yeah it would be nice to see some people in their 40-50s for a change.

There's a difference between wanting mature, seasoned, experienced people and treating age like a dump stat.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:26 AM   #91
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It might be an issue if everyone else on the table as an option; be it Trump or any of other front running Democrat Candidates weren't just as old.

If Trump was some spry 45 year old Biden's age would be a concern but since everyone in the race is "Statistically Already Dead" years old I don't think it is in this situation.

Again everyone on the table now or really at any point in this election cycle who were treated as viable candidates are... oldy oldie old. Not just old but elderly basically.

We don't have to jump straight from 70+ down to still has the umbilical cord attached, but yeah it would be nice to see some people in their 40-50s for a change.

There's a difference between wanting mature, seasoned, experienced people and treating age like a dump stat.
There's a general problem of the lack of young talent in the Democratic Party. It doesn't help that there is open strife between the old guard, headed by Pelosi, and younger politicians that are becoming popular.

The party's attempts to quash the younger, more progressive wing of the party is incredibly short sighted and does not bode well for the future.

So we had a primary of the geriatrics. A battle of the geezers, and there's really no one under the age of 60 that's ready for the limelight. This can't be a good sign.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 26th May 2020 at 08:28 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 11:46 AM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
It’s so much of a stretch that it’s actually inadmissible to introduce prior bad acts to impeach a witness.
You are confusing introducing prior bad acts as evidence against the defendant. Of course you can impeach the witness for past acts.
"You lied before, how do we know you aren't lying now?"
Reade is the accuser, not the defendant.

If it’s material to the crime. You missed that part. An expunged record of a bad check, horse charity shenanigans, some guy who felt manipulated...these things are not material to the crime.

A prior false allegation of rape is material.

You also missed the part in your second citation where it said “when evidence of a person’s character...is admissible.” Guess when it’s admissible...
Again you are conflating witness and defendant.

I understand that. I just think it's wrong.
Nope, you are because your underlying premise is wrong.

There is a special case of not trashing a #metoo accuser, but we are well past that with Reade

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th May 2020 at 11:52 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 12:00 PM   #93
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 12:01 PM   #94
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Stacey Abrams it is, then.
Agreed.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 12:42 PM   #95
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Agreed, and I predict that he does not need the black vote or the youth vote. The youth vote didn't turn out for Bernie and the black vote is already on his team.

He will try to go moderate to try to erode some of Trump's support. Not his die-hard supporters, but the people who are afraid of liberals and the liberal agenda. A lot of them would rather not vote for Trump again, but they sure as hell aren't voting for some far left liberal to sit in line waiting for Ole' Joe to kick the bucket.

A lot of the people who are done with Trump are not down with M4A. Those are the people Biden will be courting.

Now I should go look at Stacey Abrams's positions to see if there is any chance in hell she fits in that description.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 01:04 PM   #96
xjx388

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You are confusing introducing prior bad acts as evidence against the defendant. Of course you can impeach the witness for past acts.
"You lied before, how do we know you aren't lying now?"
Reade is the accuser, not the defendant.
Completely wrong. But I guess there is no harm in you continuing to belive this since there's no danger of you prosecuting/defending an actual case...

Quote:
There is a special case of not trashing a #metoo accuser, but we are well past that with Reade
What's the difference between a #metoo accuser and a regular accuser?
Old 26th May 2020, 01:10 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

Now I should go look at Stacey Abrams's positions to see if there is any chance in hell she fits in that description.
Here you go:
https://www.ontheissues.org/Stacey_Abrams.htm
Old 26th May 2020, 01:15 PM   #98
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What's the difference between a #metoo accuser and a regular accuser?
History.

A long consistent history of trashing the accusers in these specific cases.

Perhaps children as witnesses to abuse also fall into that category but in a little different way. Kids simply aren't believed.

You can't say that for people who make other accusations, not consistently in any single group.

I don't understand what you don't get about the difference between discrediting witnesses and not being able to prejudice a jury by bringing up past crimes of the defendants. You were even shown citations had you chosen to look at them.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th May 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 01:20 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I hope Biden is wise enough not to choose a member of the Senate unless it is a safe seat to be replaced by a Democrat.

Much as it would be great to see him choose Warren, who would get her Senate seat? And I hate to be an ageist, but he needs someone younger in case he dies in office. We don't need two septuagenarians in that office.
Old 26th May 2020, 01:30 PM   #100
xjx388

History.

A long consistent history of trashing the accusers in these specific cases.

Perhaps children as witnesses to abuse also fall into that category but in a little different way. Kids simply aren't believed.

You can't say that for people who make other accusations, not consistently in any single group.

I don't understand what you don't get about the difference between discrediting witnesses and not being able to prejudice a jury by bringing up past crimes of the defendants. You were even shown citations had you chosen to look at them.
Look . . . I don't want to belabor this point in this thread. But there is obviously a huge misunderstanding about what's allowed in court. You couldn't call the Horse Charity owner to the stand to relate a story about alleged theft. You couldn't show a snapshot of an expunged bad check record. You couldn't call the guy who says she manipulated him. You couldn't ask to pull her transcript.

Maybe a lawyer can clarify what you can and can't do. But the rules linked to before seem very clear to me and people seem to be cherry-picking certain phrases that seem to support their ideas. Read all the rules, not just the little part of the commentary that makes you think you can call some dude who alleges an alleged rape victim manipulated him that one time.
Old 26th May 2020, 01:52 PM   #101
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I hope Biden is wise enough not to choose a member of the Senate unless it is a safe seat to be replaced by a Democrat.

Much as it would be great to see him choose Warren, who would get her Senate seat? And I hate to be an ageist, but he needs someone younger in case he dies in office. We don't need two septuagenarians in that office.
I agree. Abrams is an up and coming Democrat with government experience, a Harvard Law grad, and a major force fighting voter suppression. You might find this article on her interesting as I did. She is definitely my choice for VP. Now, if I could only get her to spell her name correctly ().

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...sident-953173/
Old 26th May 2020, 02:06 PM   #102
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thanks.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:06 PM   #103
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed.
You're serious, aren't you? Bwahahahahaha!

But I guess she will be available, since she's willing to step down as governor.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:34 PM   #104
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed, and I predict that he does not need the black vote or the youth vote. The youth vote didn't turn out for Bernie and the black vote is already on his team.

He will try to go moderate to try to erode some of Trump's support.
The problem is, Biden is already seen as moderate/close to the center, so there isn't much ground to be gained there.

The best option would be someone slightly to the left of Biden to appease at least some progressives (if that is possible) but not so far left as to make the undecided voters think "communist".

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:44 PM   #105
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

He will try to go moderate to try to erode some of Trump's support. Not his die-hard supporters, but the people who are afraid of liberals and the liberal agenda. A lot of them would rather not vote for Trump again, but they sure as hell aren't voting for some far left liberal to sit in line waiting for Ole' Joe to kick the bucket.

A lot of the people who are done with Trump are not down with M4A. Those are the people Biden will be courting.

Have no fear, if Biden loses this election, the blame will be on these young progressives. Biden will do nothing to bring them into the party and they will be blamed if they don't gallop to the polls.

Seems clear to me that Biden is running pretty openly as a conservative Democrat. Seems to be banking pretty hard on the party faithful, suburban centrists, and Republicans tired of Trump. Maybe that will be enough to win.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 26th May 2020 at 02:45 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:57 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You're serious, aren't you? Bwahahahahaha!

But I guess she will be available, since she's willing to step down as governor.
You do realize that Babylon Bee is a satire site, don't you? Or do you?

I suggest you do a little research on what happened in Georgia when it came to voter suppression. But I doubt you will.
Old 26th May 2020, 04:45 PM   #107
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I know it's satire, but is it?

Quote:
I suggest you do a little research on what happened in Georgia when it came to voter suppression. But I doubt you will.
I suggest you research why the Bee article is funny. But I doubt you will.

Abrams will be ready to run in 2024, that's really funny. Maybe you could get a job writing for the Bee.
Old 26th May 2020, 04:47 PM   #108
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Right wingers didn't think the Colbert Report was satire either...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:00 PM   #109
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

When I heard it I thought it meant the wrong thing.

When you go from C to the next C on a piano, the tone changes but all the keys repeat.

As illustrated here.

So I always thought it meant a big change such as occurs when going up or down from C to the next C on a piano.

But looking it up it appears I've always had a misunderstanding about it.

Thanks for asking.
Pitch.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:16 PM   #110
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I know it's satire, but is it?
You do now. But, somehow...I don't think you did before.

Quote:
I suggest you research why the Bee article is funny. But I doubt you will.

Abrams will be ready to run in 2024, that's really funny. Maybe you could get a job writing for the Bee.
Hmmmm... revealing. I can better understand Trump's attraction for you now. I won't engage you further in this. Playground level chaff with you holds no attraction for me.
Old 26th May 2020, 06:23 PM   #111
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I saw Biden getting interviewed by Dana Bash. He did a great job. He was on and stayed on message, hit Trump without sinking to his level, handled the question about his gaff over the weekend well. He looked like a strong candidate and moreover, he looked presidential.
Old 26th May 2020, 06:54 PM   #112
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Pitch.
I knew I should have looked that up.
Old 27th May 2020, 07:46 AM   #113
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I saw Biden getting interviewed by Dana Bash. He did a great job. He was on and stayed on message, hit Trump without sinking to his level, handled the question about his gaff over the weekend well. He looked like a strong candidate and moreover, he looked presidential.
Yes. There was no sign of the gaffes that he is so often accused of. And, what he said about Trump was right on. Yes, he looked presidential and in charge.
Old 27th May 2020, 07:56 AM   #114
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Dang. I was hoping we could play the Stacy Abrams thing straight for at least a couple weeks.

Talk about how she wants to be Veep and what she's doing to get the nod.

Talk about what her qualifications are and what electoral advantage she might bring to the campaign.

Talk about how she gets treated by other Democrats and the (non-satire) media.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 08:33 AM   #115
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He was also on Stephen Colbert last week. Articulate, upbeat. (Starts at about 13.00)
https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-s...nt-joe-biden-/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 08:36 AM   #116
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I get the feeling this covid-19 thing is going to be a massive gift to Biden.

Because of the restrictions, the public is really only getting a fraction of exposure to the gaffe-prone Biden. If the virus remains a problem up through the election, Biden will have good reason to keep his appearances down, eliminating opportunities to put his foot in his mouth in public.

And, of course, Trump's mishandling of the response is making it obvious why it's dangerous to have him in office, even if you generally like his policies.
Old 27th May 2020, 08:37 AM   #117
Cain
Straussian

Stacy Abrams is too unattractive to be a running mate. Biden will probably go with Harris.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 08:52 AM   #118
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Biden's best move is to give the limelight to Trump - even if he tried, he wouldn't be able to match Trump's media presence.
Old 27th May 2020, 09:12 AM   #119
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes. There was no sign of the gaffes that he is so often accused of. And, what he said about Trump was right on. Yes, he looked presidential and in charge.
The gaffs are really the only issue with Biden. Ukraine, Reader, "Obamagate" haven't moved the poll needle unless you count up. The way Biden will have to campaign, not a lot of pressing the flesh and interacting with random people helps him. By virtue of necessity, events will have to be small and well planned.

Trump's campaign style, rallies won't be a real option for him. The Democrat Trifecta states will have crowd-size limitations for most of the summer or longer. The states that will allow rallies he doesn't need to fight over (except maybe Florida).
Old 27th May 2020, 09:14 AM   #120
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Gretchen Whitmer's stock is pretty high right now. In spite of the Gravy SEALS protesting, she's seen her approval rating shoot way up. Governors who lead states through Covid-19 are a hot commodity right now and Biden would do well to bask in some of that reflected glory.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics