IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 09:10 AM   #321
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Only if they let him.

Frankly, there a few people I avoid and refuse to engage with because they are more interested in confrontation than good faith discussion.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 09:40 AM   #322
xjx388

Biden has to pick a Veep with strong national presence, a lack of major issues in their political past, a commitment to the black agenda (as Al Sharpton pointed out) and the kind of charisma he lacks.

He almost has to pick a woman with African-American heritage, I think. Of the top candidates, I think Kamala Harris is the only one who has the national presence, a great record, charisma and a commitment to not only the "black agenda" but LGBTQ issues as well. She also has a record of working towards more bi-partisanship. She'd also be a great 2024/28 candidate in her own right.

So what's wrong with her? I haven't seen her mentioned in the more recent convos about VP picks.
Old 1st June 2020, 09:47 AM   #323
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
So what's wrong with her? I haven't seen her mentioned in the more recent convos about VP picks.
Progressives put her on an ice flow because when she was a Prosecutor should made the unforgivable sin of prosecuting people.
Old 1st June 2020, 09:55 AM   #324
xjx388

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Progressives put her on an ice flow because when she was a Prosecutor should made the unforgivable sin of prosecuting people.
That's crazy. She could appeal to a wider demographic than someone like Abrams. I would vote without hesitation for a Biden/Harris ticket.
Old 1st June 2020, 09:57 AM   #325
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

God damn Joe, this ain't it.

In interview about police oversight:

Quote:
Biden said "there are a lot of different things that can change" about police training. One example he said was if cops rushed by unarmed person, they could "shoot them in the leg instead of the heart is a very different thing."
Killer cops, shoot to maim unarmed people instead. Neato.

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/stat...88711375228929
Old 1st June 2020, 10:03 AM   #326
xjx388

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Wow. That's pretty boneheaded. Let's aim for a harder to hit target and perhaps hit bystanders! How about we just don't shoot unarmed people? Training should focus on better assessment and descalation, not "well if you are gonna shoot someone, shoot their legs!"
Old 1st June 2020, 10:11 AM   #327
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's crazy. She could appeal to a wider demographic than someone like Abrams. I would vote without hesitation for a Biden/Harris ticket.
Most the chatter is still treating Biden/Harris as the most likely ticket.

And if I'm being a purely cynical "Moneyball, run the numbers, show me the graphs" guy about it young, female, black but not too black, Californian Kamala Harris is the perfect counter to Uncle Joe.

But Trump has broken the system so much making any prediction scares me.
Old 1st June 2020, 10:25 AM   #328
Pope130
Illuminator

"Shotgun Joe" Rides Again

From the same fella' who said that the only home defense gun you need is an old double barrel shotgun. Just step out on the balcony and fire a couple of shots in the air. If the bad guys try to break in, shoot them through the door.

Last edited by Pope130; 1st June 2020 at 10:26 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 10:32 AM   #329
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Well, that's the issue with Biden. He's not really bright. He really only has one good quality. He's not Trump. It's best US can offer now it seems.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 10:41 AM   #330
Paul2
Philosopher

Biden has to pick a Veep with strong national presence, a lack of major issues in their political past, a commitment to the black agenda (as Al Sharpton pointed out) and the kind of charisma he lacks.

He almost has to pick a woman with African-American heritage, I think. Of the top candidates, I think Kamala Harris is the only one who has the national presence, a great record, charisma and a commitment to not only the "black agenda" but LGBTQ issues as well. She also has a record of working towards more bi-partisanship. She'd also be a great 2024/28 candidate in her own right.

Another downside is that she's from California, a state Biden will carry anyway, no matter what. However, it's not clear how much a VP from a state you want to take away from the other side is necessary.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 10:56 AM   #331
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Well, that's the issue with Biden. He's not really bright.
Fortunately ( or unfortunately), this is considered a great quality in the eyes of the typical conservative. Educated and bright people are too elite and snobby.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 10:59 AM   #332
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Fortunately ( or unfortunately), this is considered a great quality in the eyes of the typical conservative. Educated and bright people are too elite and snobby.
Hmm .. good point. Dems need people from Trump camp, and 'sleepy Joe' might do it lot better then second Obama.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 11:37 AM   #333
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's crazy.
Of course it is. And yet, that's still what happened.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 12:52 PM   #334
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
From the same fella' who said that the only home defense gun you need is an old double barrel shotgun. Just step out on the balcony and fire a couple of shots in the air. If the bad guys try to break in, shoot them through the door.
That was taken out of context which was a wider discussion about AR 15's.

From Snopes:

Quote:
In December 2018, a pro-gun rights Facebook page posted a meme that showed former U.S. vice president Joe Biden advocating the use of a shotgun over a semi-automatic rifle for the purpose of self-defense.
On 18 December, “Firearms Policy Coalition” posted the meme, which contained a photograph of Biden along with the quotation: “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because if you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.”

This is an authentic quotation, although the meme didn’t present the full context in which Biden made those remarks. They were part of a broader argument against the usefulness and necessity of the AR-15 rifle for personal protection.

In February 2013, Biden gave an interview to Field & Stream magazine on the subject of gun violence and gun control. He was asked about the regulation of the very popular AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and its uses in hunting, self-defense, and target practice. Biden played down the use of such a weapon in hunting, saying: “If you have to go up into the Poconos and go bear hunting or deer hunting with that weapon, and you need a clip that has 30 rounds in it, then you shouldn’t be hunting. You’re a danger to yourself. If you can’t get the bear or the deer in four or five shots, you’ve got a problem.”
When the interviewer asked “What about the other uses, for self-defense and target practice?”, the Vice President responded as follows:

Well, the way in which we measure it is — I think most scholars would say — is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense. I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, “Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when there’s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself.”
I said, “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because [if] you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.” Most people can handle a shotgun a hell of a lot better than they can a semiautomatic weapon in terms of both their aim and in terms of their ability to deter people coming.
We can argue whether that’s true or not, but it is no argument that, for example, a shotgun could do the same job of protecting you. Now, granted, you can come back and say, “Well, a machine gun could do a better job of protecting me.” No one’s arguing we should make machine guns legal.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 01:10 PM   #335
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

We should never forget that numerous Trumpers were quoted as saying things like "He talks like a regular guy," and they didn't think much beyond that. A lot of Americans don't value smarts, and they vote.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...democracy.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...e-precautions/

I think Biden is smarter than he has appeared in some public utterances, but he's not so smugly academic that the working class will feel intimidated.

Last edited by Bob001; 1st June 2020 at 01:13 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 01:22 PM   #336
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I think Biden is smarter than he has appeared in some public utterances, but he's not so smugly academic that the working class will feel intimidated.
Well certainly he only has to look smarter than Trump, to appeal to smart voters, and that's not that hard.
Old 1st June 2020, 02:18 PM   #337
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Well certainly he only has to look smarter than Trump, to appeal to smart voters, and that's not that hard.
Assuming this is serious, three things:

One, the voters in question can't be that smart, if they can't tell the difference between looking smart and being smart.

Two, smart people can still disagree on the best solution. Being smart alone does not guarantee appeal.

Three, there are ideological factors to consider. For a conservative voter, a dumb conservative or even a dumb RINO is might be better than a smart progressive.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 02:45 PM   #338
Cabbage
Banned

I don't think that's accurate.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Of course it is. And yet, that's still what happened.
No, that's not what happened. Or is it as I expect: You only care about (alleged) prosecutor malfeasance when a Trumpling is on the other end?

A sampling

Quote:
Time after time, when progressives urged her to embrace criminal justice reforms as a district attorney and then the state’s attorney general, Ms. Harris opposed them or stayed silent. Most troubling, Ms. Harris fought tooth and nail to uphold wrongful convictions that had been secured through official misconduct that included evidence tampering, false testimony and the suppression of crucial information by prosecutors.

Consider her record as San Francisco’s district attorney from 2004 to 2011. Ms. Harris was criticized in 2010 for withholding information about a police laboratory technician who had been accused of “intentionally sabotaging” her work and stealing drugs from the lab. After a memo surfaced showing that Ms. Harris’s deputies knew about the technician’s wrongdoing and recent conviction, but failed to alert defense lawyers, a judge condemned Ms. Harris’s indifference to the systemic violation of the defendants’ constitutional rights.

Ms. Harris contested the ruling by arguing that the judge, whose husband was a defense attorney and had spoken publicly about the importance of disclosing evidence, had a conflict of interest. Ms. Harris lost. More than 600 cases handled by the corrupt technician were dismissed.
and

Quote:
Worst of all, though, is Ms. Harris’s record in wrongful conviction cases. Consider George Gage, an electrician with no criminal record who was charged in 1999 with sexually abusing his stepdaughter, who reported the allegations years later. The case largely hinged on the stepdaughter’s testimony and Mr. Gage was convicted.

Afterward, the judge discovered that the prosecutor had unlawfully held back potentially exculpatory evidence, including medical reports indicating that the stepdaughter had been repeatedly untruthful with law enforcement. Her mother even described her as “a pathological liar” who “lives her lies.”

In 2015, when the case reached the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, Ms. Harris’s prosecutors defended the conviction. They pointed out that Mr. Gage, while forced to act as his own lawyer, had not properly raised the legal issue in the lower court, as the law required.

The appellate judges acknowledged this impediment and sent the case to mediation, a clear signal for Ms. Harris to dismiss the case. When she refused to budge, the court upheld the conviction on that technicality. Mr. Gage is still in prison serving a 70-year sentence.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/o...l-justice.html
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 02:53 PM   #339
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
True; it's actually spelled "floe".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 02:59 PM   #340
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's a caricature of progressives' position on law and order. That's all that matters.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 03:38 PM   #341
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
True; it's actually spelled "floe".

Irrelevant.

Do you have anything of actual value to contribute?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 04:34 PM   #342
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hmmm....that's an 'interesting' take of our conversation. Not accurate [...]
You literally said it was usual for politicians to appear on The View. Not once, but twice:

She appeared on The View in February and April as is usual for politicians.
Absolutely it's usual for politicians to appear on The View during election season.
This in the context of me asking what made Abrams notable; i.e., unusual.
Old 1st June 2020, 04:42 PM   #343
Cabbage
Banned

Irrelevant.

Do you have anything of actual value to contribute?

...followed by....

You literally said it was usual for politicians to appear on The View. Not once, but twice:

Which does answer my question. More complete misrepresentation and irrelevance. Thank you for making that clear!
Old 1st June 2020, 04:42 PM   #344
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The question is whether she prosecuted the right people in the right ways for the right reasons. She appears to have a mixed record.
Quote:
Time after time, when progressives urged her to embrace criminal justice reforms as a district attorney and then the state’s attorney general, Ms. Harris opposed them or stayed silent. Most troubling, Ms. Harris fought tooth and nail to uphold wrongful convictions that had been secured through official misconduct that included evidence tampering, false testimony and the suppression of crucial information by prosecutors.

Quote:
In 2005, the sharp-elbowed, ambitious district attorney of San Francisco had the opportunity to correct an all-too-common prosecutorial violation of duty that the leading expert on prosecutorial misconduct found “accounts for more miscarriages of justice than any other type of malpractice.” Rather than seize the opportunity, she did nothing.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...san-francisco/

Quote:
A close examination of Harris’s record shows it’s filled with contradictions. She pushed for programs that helped people find jobs instead of putting them in prison, but also fought to keep people in prison even after they were proved innocent. She refused to pursue the death penalty against a man who killed a police officer, but also defended California’s death penalty system in court. She implemented training programs to address police officers’ racial biases, but also resisted calls to get her office to investigate certain police shootings.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...justice-record

You find a couple innocent people that she sent to prison and kept there, and that's pretty much the end of her campaign.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 05:23 PM   #345
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I did say that, but not in the context you are claiming. You never asked what made Abrams notable/unusual.

Quote:
#298 You:

If I were a betting person, I'd bet avatars that only notable politicians appear on the show, and that they are a minority and therefore unusual.

I'm sure it's usual for The View to have politicans on the show, even if they don't bring on all of them.
Quote:
#309 Me
It would be impossible to bring ALL politicians onto the show and usually the candidates for the higher national positions appear. But if an interesting/unusual state race is occurring, candidates can appear, too.

How you see that as unusual, I don't understand. People aren't interested in hearing what Joe Blow from Wyoming has to say. Except people in Wyoming
Quote:
#312 You

I think it's perfectly usual for a TV show to bring on politicians who are unusually interesting in that election season. I just wouldn't describe it as being usual for politicians to appear on the show.
Quote:
#313 You

LOL. I just realized:

ME: What makes Abrams unusual?

STACY: She appeared on The View, which isn't unusual.

ME: Really? It seems like it would be unusual.

STACY: Actually it is unusual.
Please point out exactly where you asked what made Abrams notable/usual.

Please point out exactly where I said Abrams appearing on The View was unusual.
Old 1st June 2020, 06:39 PM   #346
xjx388

No, that's not what happened. Or is it as I expect: You only care about (alleged) prosecutor malfeasance when a Trumpling is on the other end?

A sampling

and

Sounds like the system working as it is designed. Hate the game, not the player. Besides, that might actually appeal to some voters. I mean if that’s the worst there is about her, it isn’t horrible, relatively speaking.

Abrams’ tax issues OTOH, might be an issue for some people, along with her relative lack of experience. Although, for the record, I’d love to see someone like her in the VP spot -I just don’t think she would attract many voters from the “I’m a conservative and I’m just looking for a reason to dump Trump,” side of the spectrum.

Klobuchar is pretty much out with her history with Chauvin (real or fabricated because it can be spun; her nomination could alienate black voters in any case). Demings has even worse issues with her LE background. Nobody else that meets the criteria I came up with really has the national clout to help the ticket much.

I can see a lot of support for a Biden/Warren ticket but I’m not sure how that would play with the black vote, which is important -I think- this election cycle.

I really wish Biden hadn’t said so early that he would nominate a woman. There are plenty of male candidates that might fit the bill. Kinda painted himself in a corner there and I think Harris is the one who can lift him out of that corner.
Old 1st June 2020, 07:18 PM   #347
Cabbage
Banned

Sounds like the system working as it is designed.
It's designed to incriminate people on flimsy evidence???? OK, admittedly, you may be right, that does not imply we should condone anyone playing the game with that intention.

Quote:
Hate the game, not the player.

As I just said, I strongly disagree with this. Why shouldn't I hate the player, when the player is engaging in activities that lead to imprisonment of people on flimsy evidence? When/If the game is corrupt, the only players I respect are the ones trying to change the rules to be more just. Do you disagree?

Quote:
Besides, that might actually appeal to some voters. I mean if that’s the worst there is about her, it isn’t horrible, relatively speaking.
The voters that might appeal to are probably dedicated Trumpers to begin with. And while I acknowledge that the Republican party that you generally prefer has made a commitment to pandering to baser instincts (such as the one you were just referencing), I don't think that is something to strive for. I think it is something to avoid. I expect you to disagree.
Old 1st June 2020, 07:29 PM   #348
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday, Joe Biden visited the site of the protests in Wilmington, DE.

He tweeted:
Quote:
"We are a nation in pain right now, but we must not allow this pain to destroy us. As President, I will help lead this conversation — and more importantly, I will listen, just as I did today visiting the site of last night's protests in Wilmington."
What did Trump do besides hide in his bunker and then send the military against American citizens, including a peaceful protest? Why he tweets attacking mayors and governors for being "weak" and tells them they must "dominate". He says he'll send in the National Guard (which he cannot do without a request from the governors) and attack political opponents.

POTUS: Piece Of Totally Useless S****
Old 1st June 2020, 10:16 PM   #349
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

My statement had nothing to do with what I care about. It was purely observational, and there was nothing in it about malfeasance either. If you think JoeMorgue is wrong, it's strange that you don't take it up directly with him.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2020, 11:06 PM   #350
Cabbage
Banned

My statement had nothing to do with what I care about. It was purely observational, and there was nothing in it about malfeasance either. If you think JoeMorgue is wrong, it's strange that you don't take it up directly with him.
If it was purely observational, then you are a piss poor observer, because what you observed is not at all accurate. And I did take it up with JoeMorgue--You may have noticed that I was responding to both of you...Then again, maybe you didn't actually notice this (considering the previously referenced piss poor observational skills, after all).
Old 1st June 2020, 11:38 PM   #351
Cabbage
Banned

I also forgot to mention: Your previous statement concerning Harris is also inconsistent with what you (pretend?) to care about in the Flynn thread: Prosecutorial malfeasance. In that thread you're all uptight about (alleged) malfeasance, yet you claim that progressives holding malfeasance against Harris is (and I am quoting here): "Crazy".

Can you explain your inconsistency? Is it merely attributed to poor observational skills/ignorance of Harris' history as a prosecutor?
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:33 AM   #352
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

Abrams’ tax issues OTOH, might be an issue for some people, along with her relative lack of experience. Although, for the record, I’d love to see someone like her in the VP spot -I just don’t think she would attract many voters from the “I’m a conservative and I’m just looking for a reason to dump Trump,” side of the spectrum.
Given his age, Biden needs someone who could plausibly replace him. I don't see Abrams as that person.

Quote:
Klobuchar is pretty much out with her history with Chauvin (real or fabricated because it can be spun; her nomination could alienate black voters in any case). Demings has even worse issues with her LE background. Nobody else that meets the criteria I came up with really has the national clout to help the ticket much.
She can thank the Minneapolis Police for ending her hopes.

Quote:
I really wish Biden hadn’t said so early that he would nominate a woman. There are plenty of male candidates that might fit the bill. Kinda painted himself in a corner there and I think Harris is the one who can lift him out of that corner.
I don't know much about Val Demings. She would present something for more than 1 voting bloc, being both black and a former police chief.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 2nd June 2020 at 01:25 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 07:41 AM   #353
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Please point out exactly where you asked what made Abrams notable/usual.
I didn't ask what made her usual. I asked what made her unusual. Specifically:
What did she doing the last election, to garner national news coverage?
Quote:
Please point out exactly where I said Abrams appearing on The View was unusual.
[/b]
Well. First you said that appearing on The View was usual for politicians:
She appeared on The View in February and April as is usual for politicians.
Later you said that it was unusual for a state candidate to appear on The View, but also said it was usual:
It would be impossible to bring ALL politicians onto the show and usually the candidates for the higher national positions appear. But if an interesting/unusual state race is occurring, candidates can appear, too.

How you see that as unusual, I don't understand. People aren't interested in hearing what Joe Blow from Wyoming has to say. Except people in Wyoming
Anyway, my question was, what had she done to garner national news coverage. Your answer was that she appeared on The View.

She got on the news because of her View appearance? That doesn't make sense. It doesn't even answer the question. After going round a bit, you finally explain that she appeared on The View because of the unusual circumstances of her state political campaign. Which does make sense, and does answer the question. I'm not sure why you didn't just say that to begin with. Or just stick with "Google it".

I apologize for frustrating you. I was having a hard time following your train of thought from a politician getting news coverage to what they did to get news coverage.

Though I did get a better idea how you view Abrams, which is why I asked instead of just googling. So all's well that ends well.
Old 2nd June 2020, 07:50 AM   #354
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I also forgot to mention: Your previous statement concerning Harris is also inconsistent with what you (pretend?) to care about in the Flynn thread: Prosecutorial malfeasance. In that thread you're all uptight about (alleged) malfeasance, yet you claim that progressives holding malfeasance against Harris is (and I am quoting here): "Crazy".
You clearly aren't quoting, because neither I nor Joe said anything about malfeasance. And given that I just pointed that out in the very post you quoted, repeating the claim makes this a lie.
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:31 AM   #355
Cabbage
Banned

You clearly aren't quoting, because neither I nor Joe said anything about malfeasance. And given that I just pointed that out in the very post you quoted, repeating the claim makes this a lie.

Ahem:

In responding to JoeMorgue's post:

xjx responded:

That's crazy.

and you concurred:

Of course it is.

QED

Perhaps what you really should be doing is retracting this part of your response:

And yet, that's still what happened.
(referring to JoeMorgue's original mischaracterization).

Yes, I agree that, were JoeMorgue's characterization accurate, the progressive response would indeed be crazy. I'll try and be fair here: If you were honestly ignorant of Harris's history as a prosecutor, I'll give you a pass on calling Joe's characterization "Crazy".

Now that you are aware of the mischaracterization, do you retract your claim of "Crazy"?

Last edited by Cabbage; 2nd June 2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:37 AM   #356
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Ahem:

In responding to JoeMorgue's post:

xjx responded:

and you concurred:

QED
Do you not understand the difference between insanity on the part of progressives and prosecutorial malfeasance on the part of Harris?

QED indeed.
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:39 AM   #357
Suddenly
No Punting

Triangulation has gotten out of control.

I'm not sure that one can be topped.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:40 AM   #358
Cabbage
Banned

Do you not understand the difference between insanity on the part of progressives and prosecutorial malfeasance on the part of Harris?

QED indeed.
Did you miss the addendum I added in edit?

I await clarification of whatever point you seem to think you've made.
Old 2nd June 2020, 01:00 PM   #359
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't ask what made her usual. I asked what made her unusual. Specifically:
Oh, for God's sake. I forgot the "UN" in front of usual at the bottom. Even you could figure out that was a typo from the rest of my post.

Quote:
Well. First you said that appearing on The View was usual for politicians:
Yes, I did because it's true.

Quote:
Later you said that it was unusual for a state candidate to appear on The View, but also said it was usual:
This is where you go wrong. I never said it was unusual for a state candidate to appear:
Quote:
You are conflating an "interesting/unusual state race" with it being unusual for a state candidate to appear. Something being 'usual' does not make anything else 'unusual': it just means it happens more frequently. An 'unusual' race doesn't mean it's rare or infrequent. It just means there is something about it out of the ordinary or something that makes it different which makes it interesting to the nation, just not the state. There could be several within an election period and then they may appear on The View. Nowhere did I say that a state politician being on The View is unusual.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Quote:
Anyway, my question was, what had she done to garner national news coverage. Your answer was that she appeared on The View.
She got on the news because of her View appearance? That doesn't make sense. It doesn't even answer the question.
Apparently I need to remind you that you didn't actually ask "what had she done to garner national news coverage". Your wording was very unclear so we had this exchange:

Quote:
Your question wasn't really clear that it was the last election you were asking about:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige
Guilty as charged. What did she doing the last election, to garner national news coverage?
I inferred you were really asking "What did she do since the last election..."
Which is why I first answered your question with this:

Quote:
She appeared on The View in February and April as is usual for politicians. She appeared alongside Biden on a televised townhall on May 14.
She addressed the Reade allegations on Seat At the Table on May 12. She was very recently interviewed by TIME magazine. Would you like more?
(#291)

Quote:
After going round a bit, you finally explain that she appeared on The View because of the unusual circumstances of her state political campaign. Which does make sense, and does answer the question. I'm not sure why you didn't just say that to begin with. Or just stick with "Google it".
We "went round a bit" because your question wasn't clear and we had to work that out as shown above. I "finally answered it ", as you put it, once we had worked out YOUR confusingly worded question. I would have answered it "to begin with" if you had asked a clear question to begin with.

Quote:
I apologize for frustrating you. I was having a hard time following your train of thought from a politician getting news coverage to what they did to get news coverage.
Which is due to
1) Your poor wording of the question to begin with
2) Not understanding that one thing being 'usual' does not mean another
thing is 'unusual'.

I hope this clears things up. Let's move on now because I bet this has become as boring for others as it has for me.
Old 2nd June 2020, 06:01 PM   #360
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The events of the past week show that the Bernie Bros who still think Biden is no better then Trump are morons.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics