IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags CT humor , flat earth , flat earthers

Old 21st March 2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Karadra
Scholar

Flat Earth Discussion

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...earth_is_flat/

Currently there is a thread on Ask Reddit about why people believe in the flat earth hypothesis.
As I said in a comment in the thread, it would be nice to get a discussion going because it has from a scientific stand-point a certain psychological value to it.
Karadra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Hans
Philosopher

There are several existing flat earth threads, one here, perhaps one in science and a bunch of posts in the abandon all hope sub-forum.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 02:35 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Already one thread here in Conspiracy Theories that has been here for a week;another Thread in General Skepticism started Yesterday because of Shaquille O Neal advocacy of the Flat Earth.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 21st March 2017 at 02:39 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 09:02 PM   #4
fuelair
Banned

Idiots will be idiots!!!! Flatearthers are very special idiots!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:00 AM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It takes a very special, almost unique kind of Stupid to deny the evidence of your own eyes (which clearly shows that the surface of the Earth is curved) in order to actually believe that the Earth is flat. Anyone who has ever flown in an airliner that flew high enough (about 35,000 ft or over) can observe this for themselves.

IMO, only a very small number of people who claim the earth is flat actually believe it is so. Additionally, I am sure that the best known flat earth website, http://theflatearthsociety.org, is a Poe, and it originators are having a good laugh at Flat Earthers' expense

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:37 AM   #6
baron

There's no debate to be had. I'd like to add an analogy, as in, "It's like discussing whether..." but there is no analogy that illustrates the stupidity better than the original premise. It's the most absurd, evidently false and outright brain-shy belief that it's possible to hold, even in theory.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:26 PM   #7
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The success of celestial navigation for centuries puts the lie to flat earth theory pretty solidly.

Celestial navigation depends on there being a defined distance to the visible horizon.

Here is one of several references:

http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/inav_c11.htm
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:45 PM   #8
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Think modern-day gnostic cult. People without much education get to imagine that they know a huge secret that most people are too, stupid to discern.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The vast majority of people who espouse the Flat Earth idea have not got the mental skills to operate kitchen utensils unaided either. The remainder are in it solely to bilk the majority of as much money as possible before they wise up. Much like president Trump.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:54 AM   #10
imodium
Thinker

Some believe all wars are started by Jews, some believe the world trade centre came down due to lasers and holograms, some believe vaccinations are a population control device, some believe the father of Ted Cruz killed jfk, some believe Obama was born in Kenya.

In general, some people will believe anything.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 05:09 AM   #11
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by imodium View Post
Some believe all wars are started by Jews, some believe the world trade centre came down due to lasers and holograms, some believe vaccinations are a population control device, some believe the father of Ted Cruz killed jfk, some believe Obama was born in Kenya.

In general, some people will believe anything.
The highlighted portion is true - if by control you mean that you are controlling the levels of resistance in the population to specific diseases.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:02 AM   #12
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
There's no debate to be had. I'd like to add an analogy, as in, "It's like discussing whether..." but there is no analogy that illustrates the stupidity better than the original premise. It's the most absurd, evidently false and outright brain-shy belief that it's possible to hold, even in theory.
Until the rise of the flat earth fad, I thought you couldn't get any dumber than chemtrails, but I was wrong. If something dumber than flat earth comes up (and I can't begin to think what that might be), I think there is no hope for humanity.

Of course, for level of harm in stupid, anti-scientific ideas, anti-vaxers seem to be the champions. Believing the earth is flat is relatively harmless, aside from sheer stupidity. Convincing people not to vaccinate their children will cause some of those children to die needlessly.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Until the rise of the flat earth fad, I thought you couldn't get any dumber than chemtrails, but I was wrong. If something dumber than flat earth comes up (and I can't begin to think what that might be), I think there is no hope for humanity.

Hollow earth.
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Varanid
Master Poster

Source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg (91.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:25 PM   #15
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I had an earnest but very misguided young man in the store this afternoon who asked me about the flat earth theory and obviously subscribed to it (along with 9/11, Moon hoax). I may be overrating myself but I did get him to question a few things. ONe example was how he said that snipers did not have to take the curvature of the Earth into account. I pointed out that they did and had to take into account the rotation of the Earth as well.

He was actually searching that when I left, on a whim I looked it up myself and, lo, the 2nd google result is the flat earth society.
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:34 PM   #16
baron

Of course, for level of harm in stupid, anti-scientific ideas, anti-vaxers seem to be the champions. Believing the earth is flat is relatively harmless, aside from sheer stupidity. Convincing people not to vaccinate their children will cause some of those children to die needlessly.
I think the problem starts when someone teaches their kids to disregard all information from so-called 'authority', then one thing follows on from another. Flat earthers also believe in chemtrails and all that muck, and are more likely to be anti-vaxers and hold opinions that are actively damaging. To accept one load of horse crap is to open the stable door to the others.

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Hollow earth.
At least that leads to some fun fantasy literature.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
Photoshop
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:49 PM   #18
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Photoshop
Obviously. I was just pointing out the lengths to which TPTB will go to trick you sheeple.

Baaah.
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I pointed out that they did and had to take into account the rotation of the Earth as well.
Huh. That's pretty neat. I had no idea. What kind of range is necessary to bring earth curvature into the process?
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:01 PM   #20
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
Huh. That's pretty neat. I had no idea. What kind of range is necessary to bring earth curvature into the process?
From all I have read it is a minimum of 1000 yards. Some FE loons triumph that the Marine Sniper Manual does not mention the Coriolis effect, but somehow ignore that the manual specifically says its instructions only work up to 1000 yards.
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:58 PM   #21
Pope130
Illuminator

I was surprised to find that this belief is still widespread, but I've done some research and found that there are 'flat-earthers' all around the globe!
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 06:44 AM   #22
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by Karadra View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...earth_is_flat/

Currently there is a thread on Ask Reddit about why people believe in the flat earth hypothesis.
As I said in a comment in the thread, it would be nice to get a discussion going because it has from a scientific stand-point a certain psychological value to it.
Google Earth is a flat earther's worst nightmare...unless Google is in on the conspiracy to fool the rest of us into thinking the earth is round.

Of all the CTs out there, this one baffles me the most. The fake moon landing conspiracy has a lot more meat on the bone compared to the flat earth theory.

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 07:07 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Flat Eartherism, at least in whatever current form, seems to be related to the "You can't trust whatever people in authority tell you" crowd.

If you listen to any Flat Earthers it almost never seems to be about the shape of the Earth itself but some broader point cloaked in that performance art language about not trusting "the official story" or vague conspiratorial nonsense about how some single entity controls all the news or other sources of information.

As with a lot of stuff that is so over the top nonsensical it's hard to for a rational person to believe they are being serious part of me is tempted to just call them all Poes and go about my day, but that rationalization has its own set of problems as well.

Do I think that a statistically significant percent of people, even the tiny percent it would take to qualify as an extreme fringe, exist that honestly on an intellectual level think the Earth is flat? Errrr... maybe. It's hard to be sure. I think, although I'm hardly married to this opinion and am fully ready to be wrong on it, that it's more a character act about how the facts don't matter as much as being an individual or not being part of the herd or something over inane pseudo-rebel nonsense.

I think that was is being done is a passion play, an ongoing role playing skit where we're supposed to learn the "moral" that being factually right isn't all that important, probably with some of its adherents far deeper down the rabbit hole then others.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th March 2017 at 07:40 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 07:16 AM   #24
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

^^^There it is^^^. Doesn't matter how outlandish the belief, some people just think you can't go along with the establishment.

Also, I can't work up any interest in what Shaq personally thinks about the cosmos, much as I am not on the edge of my seat over Kim Kardashian's geopolitical musings.

ETA: whoopsie, wrong flat earth thread. Weird that there is more than one

Last edited by Thermal; 24th March 2017 at 07:21 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 07:25 AM   #25
Finster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
From all I have read it is a minimum of 1000 yards. Some FE loons triumph that the Marine Sniper Manual does not mention the Coriolis effect, but somehow ignore that the manual specifically says its instructions only work up to 1000 yards.
Long range artillery might be a better example - I believe they have to take both curvature and coriolis into account (not that it would matter to a true believer)
Old 24th March 2017, 07:48 AM   #26
ahhell
Philosopher

Flat earth is definitely dumber than hollow earth. Hollow earth doesn't deny what can clearly be seen, it denies what can not be seen.

I'm not convinced that anyone actually believes the hollow earth, at least some of the proponents are having a good laugh and some are just selling books to rubes.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 12:30 PM   #27
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Long range artillery might be a better example - I believe they have to take both curvature and coriolis into account (not that it would matter to a true believer)
Yep in ballistic gunnery we use to take that into account
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 12:44 PM   #28
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Think modern-day gnostic cult. People without much education get to imagine that they know a huge secret that most people are too, stupid to discern.
Truth for the ages ^^^^^

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 04:42 PM   #29
EHocking
Philosopher

Hollow earth.
Your C programming needs some work still.
That should have read, "hello, world".
#include <stdio.h>

main( )
{
printf("hello, world\n");
}

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 06:40 PM   #30
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Some of the FE stuff on RubeTube includes huge doses of Christian fundamentalism, with phrases like "firmament of the heavens" sprinkled in as "evidence". Seemed to me like a weird mashup at first but I suppose it's not very far from talking snakes to the earth as a big Frisbee.
Old 26th March 2017, 02:39 AM   #31
Rincewind
Philosopher

Just remember, though.... Some of us live on a Discworld!!!!!
Old 26th March 2017, 07:02 PM   #32
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Many and mysterious are the ways of the elephants!!!! Or the turtles!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 09:22 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Well said you clueless, skill-less wizard!!

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 11:20 PM   #34
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well said you clueless, skill-less wizard!!
That's not entirely correct. If Rincewind had never opened the Octavo and had one of the Great Spells lodge in his head, there's no telling how good he might have been as a wizzard (with two z's).
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2017, 12:29 AM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Old 27th March 2017, 08:47 AM   #36
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Hollow earth.
Surely, hollow, flat earth.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2017, 09:17 AM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

Hollow earth.
At least that one doesn't rely on data you can gather with your own eyes every day.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2017, 03:45 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Absolutely.
Both are calculated into the standard firing charts redlegs use.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2017, 09:20 PM   #39
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Absolutely.
Both are calculated into the standard firing charts redlegs use.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/826735.pdf
Old 28th March 2017, 04:34 AM   #40
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Most of us just use the handy charts in the firing tables to work it out.

It's been a couple of years, but I believe that the compensation for the rotation of the earth is found at Table J.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories