IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Closed Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 11:21 PM   #2961
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by Kings Full View Post
Thank you.

I live in the DFW area, and I can assure you we still play college football here.
Hey there. I live in Dallas. There are a few other long time members who live in D-FW.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 05:03 AM   #2962
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Hello.

New member here from Boston suburbs (USA). My name is a reference to the frequent sightings of turkeys both in Boston and the surrounding suburbs.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 08:14 AM   #2963
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Hello.

New member here from Boston suburbs (USA). My name is a reference to the frequent sightings of turkeys both in Boston and the surrounding suburbs.
Welcome To the Skeptic site, The Turkeys know they are safe, because the only hunting going on in the Boston area is the weekly drive by gang shootings.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th April 2018, 11:27 AM   #2964
bluegreen
New Blood

Newbie - Needing advice

Newbie from MA. Raised Catholic but always questioned why my Catholic school tore out full sections of our science book . . . nobody could ever give me a rational answer . . . I played with dinosaur figures and saw dinosaur bones at the museum . . . and I had heard about evolution . . . but no mention in any Catholic school books. (apparently no room in Noah's Ark for dinosaurs).

In any event, I am trying desperately to extract my wife from the alternative medicine universe. Aside from the insanity . . . its expensive. She is surrounded by moms who tend to look down on other mothers who do not explore "natural" remedies . . . aromatherapy . . . blah blah blah. My wife falls in line with the rest of her dopey friends . . . hook, line and sinker. One of my wife's friends uses her chiropractor to handle all family medical issues (apparently vaccines are bad) (luckily she has healthy children . . . but chiropractor gets credit for their health)

My son has significant medical problems (with no easy/effective treatment) . . and my wife has started down the alt-med path and I need to stop it ASAP. Please advise. Thanks!

FYI- wife's mother is full fledged born again Christian so believing anything is within my wife's DNA.
bluegreen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2018, 03:17 AM   #2965
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
Newbie from MA. Raised Catholic but always questioned why my Catholic school tore out full sections of our science book . . . nobody could ever give me a rational answer . . . I played with dinosaur figures and saw dinosaur bones at the museum . . . and I had heard about evolution . . . but no mention in any Catholic school books. (apparently no room in Noah's Ark for dinosaurs).

In any event, I am trying desperately to extract my wife from the alternative medicine universe. Aside from the insanity . . . its expensive. She is surrounded by moms who tend to look down on other mothers who do not explore "natural" remedies . . . aromatherapy . . . blah blah blah. My wife falls in line with the rest of her dopey friends . . . hook, line and sinker. One of my wife's friends uses her chiropractor to handle all family medical issues (apparently vaccines are bad) (luckily she has healthy children . . . but chiropractor gets credit for their health)

My son has significant medical problems (with no easy/effective treatment) . . and my wife has started down the alt-med path and I need to stop it ASAP. Please advise. Thanks!

FYI- wife's mother is full fledged born again Christian so believing anything is within my wife's DNA.
Welcome to the forums. As a newbie you don't have certain posting privileges (like getting a nattie avatar or posting links in your posts) until you achieve a certain post count, but you do have the okay, like any member, to start a thread.

Properly speaking (and we're nothin' if not proper 'round these parts), discussions of this nature could go in one of three sub-forums, depending on how you want to approach the question:

> Science/Math/Medicine - the science and math geeks hang out there. They are, consistently, the authors of many of our more erudite posts. But they may consider the topic too broad unless you have specifics to bring into the discussion (suggested: your son's specific medical problems).

> General Skepticism and the Paranormal - the bastion of our traditional Debunking Unit. Very good at tearing down irrational arguments, but also very quick to call you a troll because they suspect that everyone's here to bust their chops and have difficulty imagining that not everyone's as cool and hip and well-informed as we are, so suspect everyone of pulling our collective legs. Give 'em a break - they're accustomed to dealing with people who see aliens in the woodpile, bigfoot at the tree break, and ghosts riding UFOs during every full moon.

> Forum Community - the hangout of the class clowns. You want to make the conversation more personal and chit-chatty? That's where you go. FC, though, has a tendency to attract persons enamored with their own cleverness. You have to be one of those sorts who fits right in at parties IMHO.

Up to you... if you're a little gun-shy, hang out for a bit. There are threads in Forum Community and Humor (an ironic title, that) that are designed just so you can get some posts under your belt. Read the "Nominations for the language awards" thread. I'm the nominal dictator there, but it'll give you a cross-section of the sorts of things people take an interest in, albeit causing your great confusion when you look at a post and ask, with the rest of us, "What's funny about that?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2018, 06:25 AM   #2966
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post

In any event, I am trying desperately

As to the first thing you raised, I grew up in a Catholic family. I attended public school, but attended Catechism once a week. (for those who don't know, Catechism is Catholic "schooling" for those who attend public school.) I was an altar boy. Probably the lone atheist in my family.

I honestly have no idea what you can do about your son. I have no children myself, I have an older sister with two children. Niece recently married. If something afflicted my niece or nephew, it would tear me apart, so having a child myself is something I can't even wrap my head around.

Be there for those you love. It might sound like facile, easy advice from someone, but that is life. I actually think that you and your wife are despairing about your son, which I understand. She wants to do anything she can to help him, and you can't convince her otherwise. Be there for her and him.
Old 20th April 2018, 08:55 AM   #2967
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
<snip>

Be there for those you love. It might sound like facile, easy advice from someone, but that is life. I actually think that you and your wife are despairing about your son, which I understand. She wants to do anything she can to help him, and you can't convince her otherwise. Be there for her and him.

If false hope was harmless and free I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any simple way to extricate someone from the clutches of "faith". (That's a dirty word in this context, and it describes the pursuers of Alt Med fantasies as well as it does religious believers. They are much the same.)

It is a long hard road of self-education even when not complicated by the usual impediments of a desire to believe and no past history of critical thinking.

It is much worse when such barriers are in place.

Good luck, bluegreen. I wish you well. But I don't think there's any magic bullet for your dilemma either.

I can empathize with your problem. My wife is a COPD sufferer, bedridden and on O2 24/7. She is a true believer in almost anything that gets a good sales pitch, and has an older sister who is worse and feeds her even more garbage than she can soak in herself from daytime TV talk shows and late night commercials.

I keep away the things that are overtly harmful or a complete waste of what little money we have to spare, and let the rest go without dispute. When explanations of why something isn't what it claims to be do not suffice I just leave it alone. I make a bit of progress from time to time and treasure that.

Baby steps.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th April 2018, 04:45 PM   #2968
bluegreen
New Blood

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments . . . I really appreciate it.

I rather not disclose my son's medical issues but he is on a considerable amount of medications . . . all of which cause separate problems . . . and none of the medications are working that well (or it works but causes other problems) . . . so this reality empowers my wife to say, "well . . .the medicine is not working . . . why not try a wellness clinic." . . . and she drags my son kicking and screaming to a wellness clinician who believes flaxseed oil will help his XYZ conditions. He is on MAJOR medications . .. that don't work well. . . . but flaxseed oil will work??

Unlike the wellness clinician, my son's doctors discuss the success rates . . . the side effects . . .etc. . . and although the medications may not work on my son, they do help others or else they wouldn't be available and/or sell. I do end up dropping some of the lunacy (aromatherapy . . . hypnosis recordings) . . . because I have to pick my battles.

Lastly, I will note that if I discuss alt meds, religion, bigfoot, paranormal, etc . . . with my wife (or others who share her opinions), I feel like a total buzz kill . . . conversation killer . . . but I can't sit back and listen to my niece believe that some people do actually have psychic powers . . .

(to the moderator . . . sorry for mixing topics . . .I will snoop around to identify appropriate topics before I post again)
bluegreen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 09:05 PM   #2969
pepsipunk
New Blood

Hey, everyone. Newbie here from the Philippines. Interested to learn more about politics, science, technology and other value-adding topics and insights from different people here in the forum.

My username is a reference from ex-WWE Wrestler/current UFC Fighter CM Punk.

Hope to learn more from everyone.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk
pepsipunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 10:30 PM   #2970
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Hi there pepsipunk, welcome aboard.

Old 5th June 2018, 09:48 PM   #2971
Imadeyouthink
Scholar

Hello a new guy here always been fasinated by conspiracy theores and why do people believe on it. I'm a USA user with some centristic view on politics with more of it being democratic. Came here to see many topics.
Imadeyouthink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:14 AM   #2972
Buddha
Thinker

I am an anti-evolutionist

Hello,

I would like to briefly introduce myself. My book, Critique of the Theory of Evolution (not to be confused with the book with a similar title, A Critique of the Theory of evolution, which was published in 1905) was published by Resource Publications in 2007. This is a regular publisher, not a vanity press.

To me existence of the Creator is not a matter of faith but of logical necessity. My logical deductions lead to conclusion that Big Bang did not happen by itself, it was caused by the Creator. However, I do not think that natural sciences such as physics, chemistry and genetics could be used to prove or disprove existence of the Creator because they were not designed for this purpose. Only deductive logic could be used to answer the question of God's existence.

I analyzed the Bible and deduced that Jesus is the Messiah, although his is not God. My own research also confirms that the reincarnation exists.

I am not a member of a Christian or a Buddhist denomination. In the past I participated in several atheist and religion forums where some opponents tried to make mockery of my "Christian values". I assure you that this is a waste of time because I have none; I study karate as a sport, and I do not turn the other cheek.

Currently I am working on another anti-evolutionary book. Unlike my first book which was intended for general audience, this one is aimed at a more narrow audience with BS and higher degrees in science and engineering.

I have BS in Applied Math and MS in Mechanical Engineering with concentration in Control Systems Theory. I work as a Data Analyst for a consulting company.

Recently I visited several forums with similar goals and chose this one because it is the most active.
Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:02 PM   #2973
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Welcome Buddha.

By all means start a thread to discuss your ideas, but be prepared for considerable disagreement.
Old 4th July 2018, 01:02 AM   #2974
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
Hello,

I would like to briefly introduce myself. My book, Critique of the Theory of Evolution (not to be confused with the book with a similar title, A Critique of the Theory of evolution, which was published in 1905) was published by Resource Publications in 2007. This is a regular publisher, not a vanity press.

To me existence of the Creator is not a matter of faith but of logical necessity. My logical deductions lead to conclusion that Big Bang did not happen by itself, it was caused by the Creator. However, I do not think that natural sciences such as physics, chemistry and genetics could be used to prove or disprove existence of the Creator because they were not designed for this purpose. Only deductive logic could be used to answer the question of God's existence.

I analyzed the Bible and deduced that Jesus is the Messiah, although his is not God. My own research also confirms that the reincarnation exists.

I am not a member of a Christian or a Buddhist denomination. In the past I participated in several atheist and religion forums where some opponents tried to make mockery of my "Christian values". I assure you that this is a waste of time because I have none; I study karate as a sport, and I do not turn the other cheek.

Currently I am working on another anti-evolutionary book. Unlike my first book which was intended for general audience, this one is aimed at a more narrow audience with BS and higher degrees in science and engineering.

I have BS in Applied Math and MS in Mechanical Engineering with concentration in Control Systems Theory. I work as a Data Analyst for a consulting company.

Recently I visited several forums with similar goals and chose this one because it is the most active.
A couple of things leap off the page here:

> Resources Publications is the in-house publishing arm of the Churches of Christ. I haven't got a great deal of knowledge of them but they're rather dogmatic and I can't see that they've ever published anything not by someone of their brand of Christianity.

> It's also an old arguing point to claim not to belong to a Christian denomination because the conceit of the Churches of Christ is that it's multi-denominational, yet it sponsors its versions of interpreting the NT via Resources Publications and funds a couple of major league "fundie" colleges.

> I can think of a couple of billion people who might take offense at your chosen screen name. Buddha had nothing to say about physical evolution but from his teachings he'd probably accept Evolution as a given since it's pretty obviously accurate.

Feel free to start a thread on the topic. Expect interesting (and interested responses). Methinks this is fundie prosletyzing with a nice new shiny pair of shoes, though.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 10:10 AM   #2975
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY and welcome to all you Newb's

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 12:25 PM   #2976
Buddha
Thinker

I regret that I chose this particular publisher because they do not advertise my book properly. This is a common mistake that novice writers make -- they choose the first company that offers to publish their book instead of waiting for a better offer from a larger company.
As I heard, Buddha had a great sense of humor, so I do not think that he would have found my screen name offensive.
Some Buddhist denominations believe that the universe always existed and it doesn't have a Creator. Obviously nothing could evolve in such universe.
Other Buddhist denominations believe that the entity known as Adi-Buddha (primordial Buddha) created the universe (they say that the universe emanates from him). I share their point of view. Clearly the evolutio could not have happened in such universe.
Buddha also criticized the Hinduism version of evolution. I do not think that he would have accepted the evolutionary theory. However, this is just my opinion, there is no way of knowing what he would have said about the theory of evolution.

Last edited by Buddha; 6th July 2018 at 12:27 PM.
Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 05:19 AM   #2977
ThoughtIsFree
Student

Hello all, so happy to be a member of International Skeptics. Going to take a look around and see what's up.
ThoughtIsFree is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 05:46 AM   #2978
sue858
New Blood

Hello all. I tried to join some time back, but had issues registering. That's all sorted now, but I fear I've rather missed the boat. See, the reason I joined is that way back when I personally knew a 'Freeman-on-the-Land'. I always thought he was wrong, but I couldn't quite put my finger on where all his theories fell apart. Well, a read through of a few choice threads has sorted that out. Anyway, I was hoping to share some insights into the thought processes (such as they are) that the Freeman lot (or at least the ones I knew) use. But I think I'm rather late to the Freeman party; by the looks of things, it's all winding down now. Anyway, I'm sure I can find other ways to join in here.
sue858 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 10:36 AM   #2979
Lplus
Master Poster

Hello everyone. As for Sue858 above I tried to join up a few months ago for a specific thread but had troubles. I'm hoping for a better class of debate here compared to that found elsewhere.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 10:44 AM   #2980
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by sue858 View Post
Hello all. I tried to join some time back, but had issues registering. That's all sorted now, but I fear I've rather missed the boat. See, the reason I joined is that way back when I personally knew a 'Freeman-on-the-Land'. I always thought he was wrong, but I couldn't quite put my finger on where all his theories fell apart. Well, a read through of a few choice threads has sorted that out. Anyway, I was hoping to share some insights into the thought processes (such as they are) that the Freeman lot (or at least the ones I knew) use. But I think I'm rather late to the Freeman party; by the looks of things, it's all winding down now. Anyway, I'm sure I can find other ways to join in here.
Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Hello everyone. As for Sue858 above I tried to join up a few months ago for a specific thread but had troubles. I'm hoping for a better class of debate here compared to that found elsewhere.

Welcome to both of you!!

It's never too late to discuss these topics. Either add a comment to an existing thread, or start a new one. Many people, including me, regularly click the "new posts" link at the top of every page, to see what's going on.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:42 AM   #2981
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sue858 View Post
Freemen and sovcits are a guilty pleasure of mine. Welcome to to forum!
Old 8th August 2018, 07:08 AM   #2982
EE2016
Scholar

Hello. I joined I think years ago and just never posted. I might never post. I am pretty certain that I am real human and not an alien robot.
EE2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 09:11 AM   #2983
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

I have a friend waiting to be approved. Any news? Arkady.
Old 8th August 2018, 09:35 AM   #2984
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by EE2016 View Post
Hello. I joined I think years ago and just never posted. I might never post. I am pretty certain that I am real human and not an alien robot.
We so rarely get the alien robot perspective here . . .
Old 8th August 2018, 11:03 AM   #2985
EE2016
Scholar

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
We so rarely get the alien robot perspective here . . .
I am sure my husband, whom I am only 40% certain is human might have some questions of me.. if he finds this.
EE2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 08:57 AM   #2986
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
I have a friend waiting to be approved. Any news? Arkady.
You'll probably want to post that in a Forum Management section to get an answer.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 05:04 PM   #2987
Phlegm
Student

Hello, new and old (at 55), looking forward to contributing.
Phlegm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 05:44 PM   #2988
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

*cough* *hack* *cough*

Welcome, Phlegm.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 06:47 PM   #2989
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Phlegm View Post
Welcome, Phlegm. We were just sitting around the nerd table in the lunchroom last week and Lenny was saying we needed more phlegm to round out the membership.

As to this query, below (your first active post), may I say that some of us are not that new around here and also trying to figure out what he's saying. I rarely delve into the miasma that is Religion/Philosophy. I did my navel gazing back when and don't find it interesting any longer. To each his own. I'm classed as a "casual atheist". I'm firm in my not believing; I just can't be arsed to worry about what others think unless they weaponize their beliefs.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post12504084

Drop in at the "Nominations" thread which is ongoing in Forum Community. You will also find polls (TLA - The Language Award & the Pith Award). You'll find a lot of posters from the R&P threads in there. Their presence serves to remind me, depending on my mood, to go check out the latest contretemps or to be thankful that I generally avoid that sub-forum.
(I"m the Language Awards Dictator a not-much-sought-after position that I milk for maximum "cool kid" points.)

Welcome. Enjoy your stay. Drop in on some of the nonsense threads in Forum Community. You can ratchet up your post count so you get all those things that require you achieve a certain number of posts..... ability to include links, an avatar, etc...

Old 15th November 2018, 06:52 PM   #2990
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Phlegm View Post
Welcome, whippersnapper. Get off my lawn!
Old 19th November 2018, 01:51 PM   #2991
Phlegm
Student

Thank you, one and all.
Phlegm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 09:04 PM   #2992
attempt5001
Muse

Hi all. Joined up a few weeks ago and jumped right into starting and contributing to a few threads without posting to the welcome thread. Terribly impolite. My apologies (yes, very Canadian, I know). Anyway, I've enjoyed some good back and forth already and look forward to some more. Thanks to the admin group for keeping the forum functional and constructive.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 06:41 PM   #2993
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Well, welcome. Probably the most perspicacious member ever. I'd have given up after around Attempt 2150.

I have a soft place in my heart for Canadians. My first wife (amicable split) is Canadian (Cape Breton Islander) and my daughter was born in Montreal General. She's opted, fiercely proud eh, to maintain her Canadian citizenship although she's been in NYC since she was 2, back in 1980.

I see you've made your way around the forums so we'll pass on the guided tour. Do, however, drop in and follow the "Nominations" thread (it's a sticky in Forum Community) and the regular vote for The Language Award and Pith Award. (Plug! Plug! Plug!) Not only can you acknowledge wordsmiths on the forum, but you can also be acknowledge. The only requirement is that nominated posts are by an "active member".

Old 3rd December 2018, 09:01 AM   #2994
attempt5001
Muse

Thanks for the warm welcome Foolmewunz. Glad to hear you've had a chance to experience Canada and Canadians and thumbs up to your daughter for maintaining her ties to the great white north

I've had a look at the nominations thread and will be back there soon.

Cheers!
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:26 AM   #2995
MEequalsIxR
Muse

Brand new member - the paint is still wet. Thank you for reading this my given name is Steve and I live in southern California, USA. I am happy to be part of an international forum even though I think all skepticism is local. Although I am not sure about that. It is refreshing to get a view of how things are viewed in the rest of the world.

My user name should have been ME=IxR but it seems the forum software didn't like the equality sign in a user name. That or someone else already took the name. I often joke that I suffer aibohphobia but not really I love all forms of word play.

Not sure how much I'll post as I'm not sure I have a lot of intelligent content to add. One of my three rules is to hang out with people smarter than myself and I believe this group fits that.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:54 AM   #2996
Itchy Boy
Muse

Hi Folks,
Newbie from Canada here. Looking forward to some interesting conversations.
Itchy Boy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:52 PM   #2997
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Itchy Boy View Post
Hi Folks,

We suffer from a surfeit of Canadians, so please try to act out of character.

Members are complaining about the fora being excessively polite.

Just kidding. Welcome.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 11:42 AM   #2998
attempt5001
Muse

Originally Posted by Itchy Boy View Post
Hi Folks,
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
We suffer from a surfeit of Canadians, so please try to act out of character.

Members are complaining about the fora being excessively polite.

Just kidding. Welcome.
Ahhh, but Itchy Boy writes CANADA in all caps, unlike my more modest conventional approach. Looks like we've got a loud and proud Canuck here

Welcome Itchy Boy. Great to have fellow countrymen here.
Old 14th December 2018, 07:53 PM   #2999
8enotto
Illuminator

Hello good folks of the IS community.

I am a lurker from Mexico as of a few weeks ago and decided to join. A lot of the stuff here I can enjoy and maybe even intelligently respond to

I grew up in the era of In Search Of and other paranormal type shows and back then started wondering when all the promises of groundbreaking proof and solid evidence was going to happen. 40 years later a bunch of new faces and a billion new theories have come out and I still watch that ghost and UFO crap shows waiting for a tidbit of solid evidence.
It has not come yet. But the scammers have gotten lots of practice meanwhile.

Thank you for allowing me here.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 07:29 PM   #3000
attempt5001
Muse

Hi 8enotto. A tardy welcome to the forum. I've already seen your posts around on a number of threads and it's great you decided to join and contribute.
Cheers!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!