IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags feynman

Old 19th June 2018, 06:49 AM   #1
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Feynman 100 at Caltech

Caltech organized a conference to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Richard Feynman. Separated into two days, the first of which features speakers with more personal talks about Feynman while the theme of the second I took to be "if Feynman were alive, what would we want to tell him about modern physics".

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tVGlcgRXfnq768

As a Feynman fan I enjoyed these and thought others might as well. Highlights for me were his sister Joan's talk, and Leonard Susskind (I'm a fan of his as well, but he talks mostly about Feynman's scientific career this time), but there's a lot of good stuff.

For those who have enjoyed both the science and the stories of Feynman there's probably not too much new material about the man, but for instance Joan Feynman's talk was more about herself, and about her brother's influence on her life as a scientist.

Anyway, I expect there are some other Feynman fans around here, and hope you will enjoy this too.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 12:14 AM   #2
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Thanks, I will certainly check these out when I get back from holiday.
Old 20th June 2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Worm
Illuminator

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing. Anything about Feynman is always fascinating.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:37 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Probably any new developments in quantum electrodynamics. The new data supporting the Higgs boson. Hydrinos, of course.

And because he was a polymath: New developments in nanomachine design and fabrication. Viral therapy, CRISPR. And techniques for detecting exoplanets.
Old 20th June 2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably any new developments in quantum electrodynamics. The new data supporting the Higgs boson. Hydrinos, of course.

And because he was a polymath: New developments in nanomachine design and fabrication. Viral therapy, CRISPR. And techniques for detecting exoplanets.
Surely they get Popular Science in heaven.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:46 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Surely they get Popular Science in heaven.
More to the point, if Feynman were alive, he'd already know more than I could tell him about those things.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology