IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st February 2017, 09:53 PM   #1
mgidm86
Philosopher

“This is what tolerance looks like at UC Berkeley”

Quote:
...said Mike Wright, a Berkeley College Republican member said as smoke bombs went off around him. Someone threw red paint on him. “It’s sad.”
Sad doesn't even come close.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/P...C-10901829.php

Quote:
Yiannopoulos was invited to speak at the campus by the Berkeley College Republicans, a student group that was warned Tuesday by university officials that the event could result in the targeting of undocumented students.
Yet look who started all of the violence. Look who is being targeted. This is bad even for Berkeley.

Quote:
Yiannopoulos, an editor for the right-wing Breitbart News website, was expected to use the event in Berkeley to kick off a campaign against “sanctuary campuses” that have vowed to protect undocumented students as President Trump cracks down on illegal immigration.
I don't read Breitbart and I don't know who Milo is (I do now) and it is irrelevant.

More intolerance (to say the least) from the left. I'd say it was only a few individuals who ruined it, but it was not.

Dozens of masked students started fires, stormed barricades, threw bricks, fireworks and "smoking objects" at police, knocked over and vandalized a generator and light that were set up, smashed windows....I forget the rest.

I wonder if they were actually students at all.

I guess Berkeley, along with government officials all over the state, don't care that 74% of Californians are against sanctuary cities.

According to Berkeley's own newspaper....

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/09/04/...y-flexibility/

Unfortunately only a sample size of over a thousand people, but...
Quote:
Opposition to the sanctuary city policies crossed the political spectrum, and included 73 percent of Democrats, 82 percent of Republicans and 71 percent of independents.

Within every ethnic group, majorities said local officials should defer to the federal requests. That view was expressed by 65 percent of Latino respondents, 75 percent of Asian Americans and African Americans and 80 percent of whites.
I know 3 or 4 very liberal friends and none of them are for sanctuary cities. I've never heard anybody say otherwise actually.

Why would anyone want that? To give free reign of the entire state to illegals (there are millions here already in Cali...millions.), AND to have the taxpayers pay for their legal defense? Get stuffed!

I already expect some "Cali is stupid you should sink into the sea" posts - save it, you're preaching to the choir.

This state is completely out of control.

Any Californians here think making Cali a sanctuary state is a good idea? If so, please tell me why, especially if you actually pay taxes in this state.

Why am I asking - this state voted in Jerry Brown - AGAIN! Holy gawddam...
Old 1st February 2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Milo could not have asked for better publicity.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:09 PM   #3
Dumb All Over

The Berkeley Black Hood Mob is smashing windows, starting fires and destroying property.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:10 PM   #4
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Berkeley getting torn up by anarchist wannabees. BFD. Preaching to the choir.

Wanna impress me? Trash Dallas.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:17 PM   #5
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Great publicity for Milo as his new book "Dangerous" is set to be released soon. I wanted to go to this event, but was disappointed when I tried to buy tickets in late November and it was already sold out. In light of recent events, I just knew there was going to be a riot.

This just drives home the point, if it hasn't been obvious enough already: the real greatest threat to the US is the hysterical intolerance and dogmatism of the progressive left.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
The Berkeley Black Hood Mob is smashing windows, starting fires and destroying property.
Don't those idiots show up to pretty much every protest around there to trash things?

Any, that Milo clown's just some troll who managed to get banned from Twitter for leading too many hate mobs. There's no point in bringing him onto campus except for attracting protests and mayhem, so I have no sympathy for the campus republican group.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:22 PM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

That's kind of their thing.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Don't those idiots show up to pretty much every protest around there to trash things?

Any, that Milo clown's just some troll who managed to get banned from Twitter for leading too many hate mobs. There's no point in bringing him onto campus except for attracting protests and mayhem, so I have no sympathy for the campus republican group.
Milo has appeared at many campuses without the left starting riots.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:48 PM   #9
Civet
Graduate Poster

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a great victory for the alt-right. Paints their opponents in the worst light, generates great clickbait, probably boosts book sales, gives them a nice victim narrative. I'm just going to take a page from the CT fringe of the alt-right and call this one a false flag. Trump probably had the CIA do this. MKULTRA on college campuses and what-not. Any absence of evidence is simply proof of a skilled cover-up.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:48 PM   #10
Mumbles
Philosopher

I'm sure he was upset by the lack of attention.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:54 PM   #11
portlandatheist
Illuminator

The alt-right and ctrl-left were made for each other.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:55 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Who gives a rip? We're supposed to be angels of virtue while the minority alt-right takes over the government and drags it toward the drain or WWIII, it's unclear which at this point.

And you start a thread whining about some protestors who have had enough! Color me unconcerned.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:55 PM   #13
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

..."the left" didn't start a riot.

Some people started a riot.

And here's the thing. This won't be the last.

Get used to this America. As long as the Trump administration holds unlimited power and it treats the constitution as a doormat there will be people that will protest.

This is going to get ugly. Real ugly. I'm not going to condone the violence that will happen. I'm not going to defend what happened at Berkeley.

But we are in the middle of a propaganda war. And the Trump Administration will be doing exactly the same as what has already started to happen in this thread: they will use this as an example of how the "left hates free speech." And they will say this while they quietly and quickly work behind the scenes to dismantle the "checks and balances" that were once a hallmark of what was the United States of America.

It won't take a lot for the Trump Administration to escalate in response. And they will escalate. No amount of "milo could not have asked for better publicity" is going to mitigate that. We could all appeal for calm but there is so much fear and anxiety out there that if things didn't explode here, they would explode somewhere else. This isn't something anyone can control. Not until a proper form of leadership forms itself out of the disparate groups that are opposing the Trump regime.

The very least that we can do here is not to become mouthpieces for the Administration. Milo is a disgusting, repulsive human being, and we should not be helping him by being sucked into his talking points. Milo is a professional troll and getting people irrationally angry is what he does. He succeeded here. We don't need to signal boost his success.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 10:56 PM   #14
Dumb All Over

"Wut is wut teh tol-er-ance looks like?"

"THIS IS WUT TEH TOL-ER-ANCE LOOKS LIKE!"

(Repeat ad nauseam.)
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:00 AM   #15
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Unlike the Punch Richard Spencer event, this one gets no traction for the black block. They've been breaking windows and setting rubbish bin fires for two decades, now.... longer if you count the shock troops of the old Anti-War demonstration, with much the same "Ho Hum" reaction.

There may be a couple of people who get excited because it's the poster boy for misogyny (and runner up to Julian Assange in the Best Dye Job elimination round). His followers need no convincing, though and I doubt he's picking up any new ones. It'll get the Misogynist Wing of the GOP back in the news for a few days; they've been feeling like wallflowers while all the Nazis got all the press over the last few weeks.

It's a lose/lose situation. More accurately a news/news situation. Milo will get another gig sponsored by the Young Americans for Freedom at another university, and the black bloc will go on to do what they do.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:12 AM   #16
Wayward son
Muse

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
This isn't something anyone can control. Not until a proper form of leadership forms itself out of the disparate groups that are opposing the Trump regime.
Not going to happen. What is going to take control is an increasingly authoritarian Trump government which will gain more and more support from the middle who will soon be demanding an end to senseless violence and disorder. These idiots make it much, much easier for Republican senators and congress members (as well as Democrats in republican heavy areas and states) to support whatever the Trump administration does.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:26 AM   #17
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Their intolerance is perfectly justified, because as everyone knows, Trump is Hitler and Bannon is a Nazi -- at least according to the myriad comments made at this forum.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:44 AM   #18
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Hmmmm... Tempest in a Tea Pot. Once again, posters decrying special snowflakes all the while demanding that they be given special snowflake status.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:14 AM   #19
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
..."the left" didn't start a riot.

Some people started a riot.

And here's the thing. This won't be the last.

Get used to this America. As long as the Trump administration holds unlimited power and it treats the constitution as a doormat there will be people that will protest.

This is going to get ugly. Real ugly. I'm not going to condone the violence that will happen. I'm not going to defend what happened at Berkeley.
The rioters have nothing to do with Trump, Milo, or really anyone else. The Black Bloc idiots have been doing this at every protest I can remember in the Berkley area (they're pretty active in Oakland too) going back long before either one of those two clown were of any real importance. And this is really all that Milo's good for, either - and he makes his money by provoking this sort of thing. If you aren't directly affected by the nonsense these two groups kick up, and you're outraged by it, you're being played for a sucker.
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:19 AM   #20
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Not going to happen. What is going to take control is an increasingly authoritarian Trump government which will gain more and more support from the middle who will soon be demanding an end to senseless violence and disorder. These idiots make it much, much easier for Republican senators and congress members (as well as Democrats in republican heavy areas and states) to support whatever the Trump administration does.
...you haven't actually disagreed with anything I've said.

This relatively minor incident (in the grand scheme of things) is a propaganda boom for the Trump administration. And there are going to be more and more of them.

There is nothing we will be able to do to control (as you call them) "these idiots." They are going to do what they are going to do. The Trump regime are very very quickly dismantling the frameworks that once made "America Great." And the more they do this: the more helpless people will feel. Look at what they have done in a few days. Look at what they apparently have planned to come.

https://www.thenation.com/article/le...iscrimination/

Look at what they are doing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15G5VO

The decision to not use the word "Jews" in the Presidents statement on Holocaust Remembrance Day was important. Pence's choice to mention only Abe Lincoln in his statement at the start of Black History Month is important. They are making very clear signals to their nationalist allies exactly where they stand.

As people become more and more marginalised they will loose hope: and eventually they will break.

This isn't coming. It is already here. Yes: it is going to make it much easier for Republican senators and congress members (as well as Democrats in republican heavy areas and states) to support whatever the Trump administration does.

The question everyone needs to ask themselves is are you going to make it easier for the Trump Regime or harder for them? It is easy to point and laugh at the protestors, lament that they are making it harder for everyone, call them SJW's and snowflakes. You can signal boost this on behalf of the Trump regime if you wish.

Or you can call it as it is. A professional troll has taken his antics from the internet and is applying them in real life, and he got the angry reaction he was looking for.

The time will come in real life where you are going to have to pick a side. I'm going to throw my bit in with the opposition. I've made my choice. I do not advocate rioting. I do not advocate nor support destruction of property or hurting anybody. But I'm not going to be a pawn of the Trump Regime. And you guys shouldn't be pawns either.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:24 AM   #21
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Seems what started as a protest against Milo turned into a general riot that spread downtown:

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/02/...oulos-protest/

Quote:
Update, 10:30 p.m. Following the fighting and vandalism in downtown Berkeley, demonstrators moved back to the South Campus area near Bancroft and Telegraph. Berkeley Police said about 200 demonstrators were still involved. Estimates of the cost of the damage in downtown Berkeley, around Telegraph, and on the campus, will not be available until tomorrow. Berkeley public works is in the downtown now cleaning up and boarding windows.
I can't think of anything more counterproductive than this. They think they are "fighting fascism"? They are playing right into his hands. Milo couldn't have scripted the reaction any better himself. Discrediting themselves.

And if what you are protesting is Milo, why go downtown and start smashing windows and setting fires?

When the Left Glorifies Violence Against People It Dislikes, Trump Wins

Quote:
The black bloc's violent tactics could produce a backlash. The Women's March figured out the right way to fight fascism.

A lot of people experience a sense of visceral joy when someone they hate gets punched in the face. But there's a body of social science research that suggests they won't like the long-term public policy results.

Over inauguration weekend, a member of the black bloc—a group of masked anti-Trump insurrectionaries—punched white nationalist leader Richard Spencer in the face on the streets of Washington, D.C. Elsewhere, black bloc members smashed the windows of a local Starbucks and Bank of America, even though neither company could be properly characterized as pro-Trump. (Starbucks' CEO endorsed Clinton, and Bank of America gave Clinton more money than Trump.) They set a limousine on fire, even though the limousine belonged to a Muslim immigrant.

When it comes to enacting social change, are broken windows and displaced limousine drivers merely the cost of doing business? No. In fact, violent and destructive protesting is less efficient than nonviolent protesting, according to the research.

"Why Civil Resistance Works," a study written by Maria J. Stephan and Erica Chenoweth, found that nonviolent tactics were much more effective than violent tactics. Researchers surveyed anti-governmental resistance movements in the 20th century in a variety of countries: nonviolent means achieved their aims 53 percent of the time, while the violent means worked only 26 percent of the time.

"Whereas governments easily justify violent counterattacks against armed insurgents, regime violence against nonviolent movements is more likely to backfire against the regime," wrote the authors. "Potentially sympathetic publics perceive violent militants as having maximalist or extremist goals beyond accommodation, but they perceive nonviolent resistance groups as less extreme, thereby enhancing their appeal and facilitating the extraction of concessions through bargaining."

Another study, by Princeton University Assistant Professor of Politics Omar Wasow, found that violent extremist movements in the United States in the 1960s and '70s inspired a conservative backlash that helped elect Richard Nixon to the presidency. Nonviolent protests, on the other hand, did not provoke a backlash.
UC-Berkeley Protesters Set Campus on Fire, Shut Down Milo Yiannopoulos Event

Quote:
Censorship wins again—and so does Milo.

Berkeley is burning tonight: the university campus that birthed the Free Speech Movement played host to a despicable display of violence and censorship Wednesday evening that culminated in the cancellation of a planned speech by controversial Breitbart tech editor Milo Yiannopoulos.

Anti-Yiannopoulos protesters wearing black scarves over their faces hurled fireworks at the building where the alt-right leader was supposed to speak. They also tore down barricades and smashed windows. They used gasoline to start a significant fire on the street that threatened to engulf a nearby tree, and forced police to push people back. Authority figures deployed rubber bullets and tear gas in an attempt to control the situation. A student who attended the event told me that it seemed like the majority of the violent protesters were not students, but older, masked rioters from the "antifa" movement.

. . .

As I write this, at 10:00 p.m., the violence and chaos are ongoing. Yiannopoulos was forced to evacuate the campus.

Anti-Yiannopoulos protesters described themselves as anti-fascists and anarchists. "We reject fascist America," the said.

They don't so much reject it as enable it. Most people will watch the chaos unfold and wonder what's wrong with college students and social justice activists these days—why they must resort to violence and destruction to silence people they don't like.

By engaging in such tactics, anti-Yiannopoulos protesters effectively distract from the fact that Yiannopoulos's own views are loathsome. They turn Yiannopoulos into a free speech martyr, which is exactly what he wants. When Milo is censored, Milo wins.
So thanks a lot self-styled "anti-Fascist" useful idiots for doing exactly what they want you to do. Keep it up and you might just help Trump win a second term!

Last edited by Puppycow; 2nd February 2017 at 01:25 AM.
Puppycow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:26 AM   #22
zorro99
Graduate Poster

The better protest would've been to ignore Milo who is nothing more than an internet troll. Trolls hate being ignored more than anything.
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:11 AM   #23
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Where are the leaders of the larger Muslim community? How come they aren't speaking out against this violence? Until Muslims denounce this type of stuff, anything else they say will sound hypocritical.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:46 AM   #24
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
The better protest would've been to ignore Milo who is nothing more than an internet troll. Trolls hate being ignored more than anything.
Yes, but that takes maturity, which is something college kids aren't known for. Why do you think this clown targetsvisits so many of them?

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Where are the leaders of the larger Muslim community? How come they aren't speaking out against this violence? Until Muslims denounce this type of stuff, anything else they say will sound hypocritical.
What a remarkably Trumpian response
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:14 AM   #25
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
What a remarkably Trumpian response
Embrace the Orange!
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:24 AM   #26
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Antifa makes Milo an overnight millionaire by timing violent protest perfectly with his book deal.

Milo's act is pretty brilliant if you ask me. Dressing up conservative opinions with 1980's-Eddie-Murphy-stand-up vulgarity + hamming up his gay act.
And taking that roadshow into the belly of the beast to see if they flip their ****.

He exposes the campus lefties as intolerant anti-free-speech nutso's, and simultaneously builds a personal brand and makes bank from his tour and future book-sales.

And Antifa has just propelled him out of the campus/twitter-sphere and into the mainstream. NYT bestseller list, here he comes.

Antifa are going to have a remarkably bourgeois experience this December, when they receive a Christmas card from Milo's publisher.
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:39 AM   #27
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Every ideology is a special snowflake that must be protected and treated with love and acceptance and understanding...

...unless that ideology is Islamic, or favors equal rights for LGBT, or is secular, or advocates worker's rights, or a woman's right to choose what to do with her body, or favors multiculturalism, or fact-based media coverage.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:41 AM   #28
TofuFighter
Illuminator

This:

could just as easily have been directed at this:

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
snip... In light of recent events, I just knew there was going to be a riot.
This just drives home the point, if it hasn't been obvious enough already: the real greatest threat to the US is the hysterical intolerance and dogmatism of the progressive left.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:50 AM   #29
applecorped
Banned

'No borders, no nations, **** deportations!'
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:52 AM   #30
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

C/P of my thoughts shared elsewhere:

Who needs agents provocateur when we provide our own for free?

Way to hand them the exact narrative they wanted. So instead of Milo talking to a half empty room and selling a dozen books, he got to upgrade the venue to prime time news networks and make his case to millions of people that we're the intolerant ones.

Think of civil unrest like a highly specialized trade craft or art form. It takes years to learn the hows and whys.

I only know of two valid reasons to set fires as part of a protest:

1) Area denial: to prevent being flanked and kettled if you are aware of an imminent attempt to do so. It can also be used during a retreat to delay attempts to engage in pursuit.

2) Decontamination: to create a heat hall to raise tear gas up and over the crowd so that medics can provide treatment to affected people. This one comes courtesy of veterans, having witnessed such occur from the other perspective.

What conceivable purpose is this giant and recklessly dangerous blaze going to accomplish? How are we any closer to our goals of equality and freedom because of this fire?

Does anyone think that a person (not already on board with the ideals described) sitting at home watching this on the news is suddenly thinking to themselves "Well, I wasn't convinced before, but now I want to join the cause!"

Morons. I'm not joking when I say people like this are only a razor thin margin less of a threat to the struggle we're about to get into than the actual enemies we have. If we don't have the backing of the public, we will not win. At some philosophical level if we don't have the backing of the public, we probably SHOULDN'T win.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:08 AM   #31
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
C/P of my thoughts shared elsewhere:

Who needs agents provocateur when we provide our own for free?

Way to hand them the exact narrative they wanted. So instead of Milo talking to a half empty room and selling a dozen books, he got to upgrade the venue to prime time news networks and make his case to millions of people that we're the intolerant ones.

Think of civil unrest like a highly specialized trade craft or art form. It takes years to learn the hows and whys.

I only know of two valid reasons to set fires as part of a protest:

1) Area denial: to prevent being flanked and kettled if you are aware of an imminent attempt to do so. It can also be used during a retreat to delay attempts to engage in pursuit.

2) Decontamination: to create a heat hall to raise tear gas up and over the crowd so that medics can provide treatment to affected people. This one comes courtesy of veterans, having witnessed such occur from the other perspective.

What conceivable purpose is this giant and recklessly dangerous blaze going to accomplish? How are we any closer to our goals of equality and freedom because of this fire?

Does anyone think that a person (not already on board with the ideals described) sitting at home watching this on the news is suddenly thinking to themselves "Well, I wasn't convinced before, but now I want to join the cause!"

Morons. I'm not joking when I say people like this are only a razor thin margin less of a threat to the struggle we're about to get into than the actual enemies we have. If we don't have the backing of the public, we will not win. At some philosophical level if we don't have the backing of the public, we probably SHOULDN'T win.
Agreed. Progressive politicians need to reach out to these misguided individuals and harness their rage for the struggle to come. Properly deployed, these kinds of actions can do wonders for a resistance movement.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:14 AM   #32
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Agreed. Progressive politicians need to reach out to these misguided individuals and harness their rage for the struggle to come. Properly deployed, these kinds of actions can do wonders for a resistance movement.
Sooner or later, I wouldn't be surprised if a mass shooter claims a left-wing motivation (like Unabomber). If it's an Orlando style slaughter, say goodbye to the Left for a Decade.
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:15 AM   #33
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
Sooner or later, I wouldn't be surprised if a mass shooter claims a left-wing motivation (like Unabomber). If it's an Orlando style slaughter, say goodbye to the Left for a Decade.
Why? Never seems to happen when right wing terrorists do it. Nor did it happen when you had left-wing terrorists in the US.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:21 AM   #34
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Why? Never seems to happen when right wing terrorists do it. Nor did it happen when you had left-wing terrorists in the US.
OKC killed the Militia Movement (helped along by Alphabet Soup infiltration), while Orlando and San Bernardino have expended the Average American's sympathy for Muslims.
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:22 AM   #35
applecorped
Banned

Had?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:31 AM   #36
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

OKC killed the Militia Movement (helped along by Alphabet Soup infiltration), while Orlando and San Bernardino have expended the Average American's sympathy for Muslims.
I don't see how any of these can be true. The militian movement is huge, and as has been seen recently, the average American has little sympathy for Muslims.

Old 2nd February 2017, 05:32 AM   #37
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

I don't see how any of these can be true. The militian movement is huge, and as has been seen recently, the average American has little sympathy for Muslims.
The Militia Movement is so thoroughly infiltrated by the Alphabet soup that there's good odds the idiots on camera are undercover agents.
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:34 AM   #38
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
This:

could just as easily have been directed at this:
Actually, Milo has been met with meltdowns by liberals on campus where ever he has gone. They've never reached the level of vandalism in Berkeley last night, but there have almost always been organized disruptions of his speeches and harassment of people on their way to his talk or leaving it.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:34 AM   #39
asydhouse
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

<snipped for focus>

So thanks a lot self-styled "anti-Fascist" useful idiots for doing exactly what they want you to do.

Meanwhile Trump and all the other war-mongering reactionaries are doing exactly what ISIS wants them to do: bringing to reality the fantasy propaganda meme they've been pushing for decades of the "West's War On Islam".

But you don't see any of the Trump apologists decrying that with anything like the self-righteous smug calling out of "the Left" we see in this thread, do we?

What a surprise, huh.
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:35 AM   #40
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The Militia Movement is so thoroughly infiltrated by the Alphabet soup that there's good odds the idiots on camera are undercover agents.
Evidence?

Also, haven't you heard, Trump is apparently going to fix it anyway.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics