IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ndes , obes

Old 26th August 2015, 06:18 PM   #521
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I still say there is eternal life because we are finite beings who can't see beyond what our eyes and technology see. That may or may not be a good thing.
So we're finite beings except when we're not? Why shouldn't a finite being die?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2015, 08:29 PM   #522
Jodie
Philosopher

Your body dies, and with it your consciousness as an individual person. That part that animates you, because it's not just enough to live on a ventilator, leaves to join the rest of you.

I think of it as being a hand with many fingers. The fingers are us as individuals but we are connected to the hand as one. When the finger is removed, the life continues as the hand. That hand remembers what the finger was like, kind of like phantom limb pain, but it isn't the finger.

That's how I visualize it and freely admit it's a belief based on different types of research related to neurology, physics that I'm not sure I totally understand, and philosophy that I intuitively put together to come up with my idea/belief.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2015, 09:43 PM   #523
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't of course agree. I think we are connected to the world, and at a more local level to other people, when we live. When we die, we are, we hope, remembered. Something of what we've done, if it was worthwhile, is added to society by our having done it. But we are remembered, not reabsorbed. When I see a falling star, what remains in me is the vision, not the star. Phantom pain comes from within. We do not get the finger back.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2015, 10:26 PM   #524
Jodie
Philosopher

No, we don't get the finger back, sad as that is.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2015, 04:56 AM   #525
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
You actually reached it? Fascinating.
This is possible because the pixels of reality are qwertyuiop.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2015, 07:35 AM   #526
dlorde
Philosopher

Last edited by dlorde; 27th August 2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Gazumped...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2015, 07:41 AM   #527
dlorde
Philosopher

That part that animates you, because it's not just enough to live on a ventilator, leaves to join the rest of you.
I recall you didn't answer this last time I asked, but as you say it's based on physics and neurological research, please explain what you mean by 'the part that animates you' and 'the rest of you', and what functions the latter element has, if, as you say, it's not your consciousness as an individual. If you're suggesting some kind of 'elan vital' or animism, I think you'll find that's contradicted by physics and neurology...

[it would also help if you indicated precisely which poorly understood physics and neurological research prompts your supposition, because it's can't be anything you've mentioned so far, as that's been explained to you.]

Last edited by dlorde; 27th August 2015 at 07:44 AM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2015, 08:02 AM   #528
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
… please explain what you mean by 'the part that animates you' and 'the rest of you',
Och, who knows? She's (I assume) coming from admitted belief, so all she needs do is find shiny baubles of half-formed sciencish whimsy to glue to her gossamer cloud of candy floss and call it an argument.

Contradict it; shift. Negate it; slant. Reason it; feel.

It's chess with a pigeon.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2015, 08:05 AM   #529
sackett
Philosopher

In a long-ago debate on the old forum, we managed to (sort of) agree that if you survived death and turned into some sort of immaterial soul living in eternity, you'd have to become either something much more than human -- or much less.

Dwelling in the house of the lord, forever twanging a harp, would rather reduce you to very little in the way of a conscious being.

OTOH, turning into some sort of super-dooper entity inhabiting the whole universe wouldn't be any better, because even if the universe is somehow infinite (we have no reason as yet to think so, but anyways) you'd still have to deal with the horror of eternity -- a prospect that a poster in that long-ago thread observed would drive the most powerful mind mad.

And then what? Madness for all eternity? Jodie? Hello?

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.

Last edited by sackett; 27th August 2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: just me being jesuitical
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2015, 08:34 AM   #530
Donn
Philosopher

God forgets that she was plebeian, shod in cheap shoes upon rough earth, as she ascends to omnipresent unity with her forever selves. The pinnacle of expression is ever emitted — a cry to reach the quarks and shake the atoms on their loops: D'oh!
Old 27th August 2015, 09:09 AM   #531
Son of Inigo
Thinker

I still say there is eternal life because we are finite beings who can't see beyond what our eyes and technology see. That may or may not be a good thing.

If we are FINITE beings, wouldn't that logically rule out our continued existence for eternity? Isn't eternity, by definition, infinite? Finite beings are also infinite beings, if I am following your logic correctly.
Old 27th August 2015, 03:04 PM   #532
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Son of Inigo View Post
If we are FINITE beings, wouldn't that logically rule out our continued existence for eternity? Isn't eternity, by definition, infinite? Finite beings are also infinite beings, if I am following your logic correctly.
I think I brought that up somewhere above, but that does indeed seem like a contradiction, doesn't it?

I'm reminded of Anatole France, who said "the average man, who does not know what do do with his life, wants another one which lasts forever." Or the more modern variant by a mystery writer, Susan Ertz: "Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon."

Old 28th August 2015, 02:12 PM   #533
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
...It's chess with a pigeon.
ROFL!

Please let me use that elsewhere
Old 28th August 2015, 03:26 PM   #534
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
In a long-ago debate on the old forum, we managed to (sort of) agree that if you survived death and turned into some sort of immaterial soul living in eternity, you'd have to become either something much more than human -- or much less.

Dwelling in the house of the lord, forever twanging a harp, would rather reduce you to very little in the way of a conscious being.

OTOH, turning into some sort of super-dooper entity inhabiting the whole universe wouldn't be any better, because even if the universe is somehow infinite (we have no reason as yet to think so, but anyways) you'd still have to deal with the horror of eternity -- a prospect that a poster in that long-ago thread observed would drive the most powerful mind mad.

And then what? Madness for all eternity? Jodie? Hello?
It depends on where we are going and what we do with our life just like it does here. Since I have no way to really comprehend eternity it's hard to say, I just hope I'm not asleep or in a coma like state, then I couldn't see the point of being. I could be a human being here and a cock roach on another scale of being. I might already be a cosmic cock roach and not have sense enough to know it.
Old 28th August 2015, 03:37 PM   #535
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Son of Inigo View Post
I should say our corporeal body is inhabited by an infinite spark of something that carries on after we die, like shedding skin after you've outgrown it.

I never really understood the concept of the trinity until I came up with my hand analogy. The father, the son,and the holy ghost; The hand is the father, the finger is the son, and the phantom limb pain when the finger dies is the holy ghost. They are all one but appear separate.
Old 28th August 2015, 03:56 PM   #536
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

I should say our corporeal body is inhabited by an infinite spark of something that carries on after we die, like shedding skin after you've outgrown it.
Uh huh.

Of course, there's still the matter of having absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe this is true.
Old 28th August 2015, 06:37 PM   #537
Jodie
Philosopher

The way I see it , there isn't any reason it can't be a possibility. What I hope for is a life with meaning.
Old 28th August 2015, 08:04 PM   #538
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I do indeed, depends on how eternal life pans out. It's not a guarantee of happiness, it just might be "being", like in a coma. That isn't quality of life to me.
In the long run heaven and hell will look the same.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2015, 08:09 PM   #539
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

The way I see it , there isn't any reason it can't be a possibility.
Save the complete lack of evidence for anything that would make it even hypothetically possible.

What I hope for is a life with meaning.
Which is not dependent on the afterlife either way. Even if it were, the universe is under no obligation to be nice.
Old 28th August 2015, 08:11 PM   #540
tsig
a carbon based life-form

The way I see it , there isn't any reason it can't be a possibility. What I hope for is a life with meaning.
Life is what you do from waking till sleeping, the "meaning of life" is a meaningless term, life simply is.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2015, 09:01 PM   #541
Jodie
Philosopher

I look at it in terms of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. When you have the basics covered then self actualization becomes important which gives life meaning.
Old 29th August 2015, 02:35 AM   #542
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
ROFL!

Please let me use that elsewhere
Heh. Sadly, it's not my own, but use away!
Old 29th August 2015, 06:21 AM   #543
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I look at it in terms of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. When you have the basics covered then self actualization becomes important which gives life meaning.
That's a pretty basic existential principle, I think, but producing meaning is not the same as receiving it.

Old 29th August 2015, 02:04 PM   #544
Jodie
Philosopher

It's two different things, but if we are an eternal one, what do you suppose earthly living is supposed to be about with all the push me/pull me going on?
Old 29th August 2015, 02:41 PM   #545
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It's two different things, but if we are an eternal one, what do you suppose earthly living is supposed to be about with all the push me/pull me going on?
What do you suppose supposing itself means? The idea that there is, or ought to be, a purpose at all is itself a supposition.

Old 29th August 2015, 02:58 PM   #546
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't know, I don't believe in intelligent design the way creationists put it out there, but I have hard time thinking all of this was for nothing.
Old 29th August 2015, 03:02 PM   #547
Pup
Philosopher

I don't know, I don't believe in intelligent design the way creationists put it out there, but I have hard time thinking all of this was for nothing.
Once I see a bunny that looks like a cloud, I have a hard time not seeing it as a bunny. That doesn't mean it really does represent a bunny. Our brains naturally tend toward certain things, but that doesn't mean those things must be true. Wanting to believe life has meaning is something our brains naturally tend toward, which is why so many religions have spread so successfully.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2015, 04:32 PM   #548
Daylightstar
Philosopher

... all the push me/pull me going on?
This almost sounds like you are hoping from an escape from your apparent 'push me/pull me' experience of life.
Are you hoping for or looking forward to a better life after the one that you are in now?
Old 29th August 2015, 05:30 PM   #549
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Once I see a bunny that looks like a cloud,...
And of course it's too late to edit that I meant a cloud that looks like a bunny.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2015, 07:30 PM   #550
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

And of course it's too late to edit that I meant a cloud that looks like a bunny.
One of those mistakes that one just reads right anyway so I would not have noticed. On the other hand, it's also true that when you see a bunny that looks like a cloud it is not a sign of rain.

Old 29th August 2015, 07:55 PM   #551
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
I liked it the way you posted it the first time...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2015, 07:04 AM   #552
Donn
Philosopher

I wandered lonely as a bunny.
It's getting rabbity out.
Bunny, the future is.

Old 30th August 2015, 07:08 AM   #553
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Bunny, the future is.

Bunny Shadow has the power to Bunny Cloud men's minds. Who knows what Bunnies lurk in the hearts of men?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2015, 07:23 AM   #554
Donn
Philosopher

After life,
playing harps,
on bunnies.
Old 30th August 2015, 07:35 AM   #555
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Bunny, the future is.

Bye, baby Bunting,
Daddy’s gone a-hunting,
Gone to get a rabbit skin
To wrap the baby Bunting in.

Old 30th August 2015, 07:49 AM   #556
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Demanding that the universe provide you personally with some sort of "meaning" is massively egotistical.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:35 AM   #557
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Bunny Shadow has the power to Bunny Cloud men's minds. Who knows what Bunnies lurk in the hearts of men?
Bunny, bunny burning bright

In the forests of the night

What immortal hand or eye

Could frame thy fearful symmetry.
Old 30th August 2015, 01:01 PM   #558
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
This almost sounds like you are hoping from an escape from your apparent 'push me/pull me' experience of life.
Are you hoping for or looking forward to a better life after the one that you are in now?
My life isn't perfect but I don't have any real complaints on a personal level. I was thinking of what you see on the news about terrorism, everybody thinks they are justified to feel the way they do. I don't think jihadist attacks are really about a belief in Allah, but about power. Religion is used as a motivator in those cases. If we are really all one the entire concept of religion is pointless much less any wars about it.

Last edited by Jodie; 30th August 2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 30th August 2015, 03:41 PM   #559
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Bunny, bunny burning bright

In the forests of the night

What immortal hand or eye

Could frame thy fearful symmetry.
When the clouds rained down their water

On the bunnies like they ought to

Did he smile, their damp to see?

Did he who washed the Lamb, wash thee?
Old 31st August 2015, 04:23 PM   #560
Daylightstar
Philosopher

My life isn't perfect but I don't have any real complaints on a personal level. I was thinking of what you see on the news about terrorism, everybody thinks they are justified to feel the way they do. I don't think jihadist attacks are really about a belief in Allah, but about power. Religion is used as a motivator in those cases. If we are really all one the entire concept of religion is pointless much less any wars about it.
People have to make do with the one real life. There is no evidence for anything else.
This is where it counts, nowhere else.

You yourself appear to feel justified with what you believe and pass on your conviction with a rather obsessive single mindedness .....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal