IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ndes , obes

Old 2nd December 2015, 03:53 PM   #721
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Hmmm...

Any support for that "IF"?
Only if their experiment is conclusive.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 03:55 PM   #722
Jodie
Philosopher

...If one has to "intuit" what is not in the article then the article does not say what you claim it says...
If we are perceiving two dimensional information as three dimensional matter then our reality is illusory.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 04:03 PM   #723
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
If my link is from a reputable site then I shouldn't need to go above and beyond what anyone else here does when discussing any topic.
I did not say the site was disreputable. I said the site simplifies complex physics. You have read the simplified version and "intuited" something that simply is not supported by the underlying science.

Quote:
The article plainly states that their experiment would indicate that we exist in two dimensional space, however, we perceive our existence as three dimensional.
No, it doesn't. This is what you have mistakenly understood from it. You have no actual understanding of quantum field theory, as we established in the ghost-story thread. You see the word "dimension" and you wrongly believe it relates to your folk-physics notion of "dimensions."
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 04:08 PM   #724
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I did not say the site was disreputable. I said the site simplifies complex physics. You have read the simplified version and "intuited" something that simply is not supported by the underlying science.

No, it doesn't. This is what you have mistakenly understood from it. You have no actual understanding of quantum field theory, as we established in the ghost-story thread. You see the word "dimension" and you wrongly believe it relates to your folk-physics notion of "dimensions."
Then what does it mean?
Old 2nd December 2015, 04:08 PM   #725
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Then what does it mean?
Asked and answered.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:32 PM   #726
Jodie
Philosopher

I went back and read the article, you didn't answer my question. The article was very explicit about what they were looking for, the holographic nature of space time. They are looking for gravity waves. Not only does this indicate that what we perceive is illusory but you could use this research and apply it to further study for potential time travel.
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:25 PM   #727
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I went back and read the article, you didn't answer my question.
You obviously didn't read my post about how that translates into quantum field theory.

Quote:
They are looking for gravity waves.
No.

Quote:
Not only does this indicate that what we perceive is illusory but you could use this research and apply it to further study for potential time travel.
No.

Stop trying to be a physicist.
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:28 PM   #728
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
If we are perceiving two dimensional information as three dimensional matter then our reality is illusory.
Let me know when they fulfill that "IF"...

...until then, "intuit" all you choose--it's still not evidence.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:36 PM   #729
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You obviously didn't read my post about how that translates into quantum field theory.

No.

No.

Stop trying to be a physicist.
You are rewriting the article with your own interpretation. It explicitly states what they are looking for.
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:37 PM   #730
Jodie
Philosopher

Let me know when they fulfill that "IF"...

...until then, "intuit" all you choose--it's still not evidence.
According to them , it should alter many of the theories of physics. You'll probably hear about it before I will if it is confirmed.
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:51 PM   #731
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

You are rewriting the article with your own interpretation.
No.

You bring up "gravity waves" because you quickly Googled that gravitational waves are measured by interferometry, and the experiment proposed in your article also uses interferometry. What you don't realize, because you don't know anything about this science, is that interferometry is a reasonably generic technique that can be applied to many problems. You don't realize that gravitational waves exist at the cosmological scale while the hypothesized effect exists at Planck scale. They have as much in common as a mouse turd has with a forest.

You're trying to paste your folk-physics nonsense onto this article. You've found a nice shiny new piece of physics, simplified for you by a popular e-zine, and just as before you think it somehow supports your preconceived model of the universe.

Quote:
It explicitly states what they are looking for.
Yes, and I explained it in terms of quantum field dynamics, which is the science they're working in.
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:54 PM   #732
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

According to them , it should alter many of the theories of physics.
All science alters theories. New and revised theories is the the one and only product of science. You can't argue that if it turns out a certain way, your "dimensions" beliefs hold any water. You're still operating according to your premise that your concept of dimensions has any basis whatsoever in real physics.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:02 PM   #733
Jodie
Philosopher

If you reread my responses since posting the link, I think you'll see that I stated that it doesn't support any concept of consciousness, that's all.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:13 PM   #734
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

If you reread my responses since posting the link, I think you'll see that I stated that it doesn't support any concept of consciousness, that's all.
Hair split. Here is the post in which you introduced the article.
I'm pretty sure I linked this before, maybe it was in a different thread. If this proves to be correct then nothing about our reality is what we think it is including how consciousness might evolve within a brain, a brain that simply isn't there.

http://phys.org/news/2014-08-d-holog...-universe.html

Which might include the illusion of consciousness whether it's brain centered or non corporeal consciousness.
In any case I am lately only referring to your notion of dimensions, which you also bring up in this thread.
Old 3rd December 2015, 02:34 AM   #735
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I'm pretty sure I linked this before, maybe it was in a different thread. If this proves to be correct then nothing about our reality is what we think it is including how consciousness might evolve within a brain, a brain that simply isn't there.

Which might include the illusion of consciousness whether it's brain centered or non corporeal consciousness.
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I can't find anything in the link that says anything like what you claim it says. Nothing about brains, consciousness (corporeal or non-corporeal, illusory or actual), or indeed the idea that 'nothing about our reality is what we think it is'. Now I confess to being an absolute layman when it comes to these things, so could you please explain to me (and possibly others in similar positions) how the article relates to your claims?
If you can't intuit the implications of their potential findings then I don't know what to say to that.
I fail to see how my guess ("intuit") at the possible consequences of what they might find if it's true ("potential findings") would help me to understand what you meant. What if my guess is different from yours? How would I even know that if I don't know what your guess is?
Is this your idea of science, or is this Speculation 101?
You didn't post anything about the article. Those are moot questions.
Dodge noted. Why should I post anything about the article in a question about how you interpreted the article? I was asking for your explanation of how what you posted linked in any way to the article. That fact that you refuse to answer on an invented point of order speaks volumes....

I went back and read the article, you didn't answer my question. The article was very explicit about what they were looking for, the holographic nature of space time. They are looking for gravity waves. Not only does this indicate that what we perceive is illusory but you could use this research and apply it to further study for potential time travel.
So are you now backtracking on what you originally said, following your schooling (yet again ) by JayUtah? Because you clearly said it was about consciousness in your first post. I also can't see any post of yours where you state that it "doesn't support any concept of consciousness". Perhaps you could repost it?
Given the difficulty of communicating with you, I can see why people might get emotional. Is this something you intentionally try to provoke, or just an unintentional side-effect of your debating style? Something to think about....

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2015, 04:01 AM   #736
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

...What has ANY of this to do with a "new" take on NDE?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2015, 07:28 AM   #737
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If it goes on long enough, you will be bored very nearly to death.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:42 AM   #738
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Ask Jodie. She'll do a great job not explaining it to you, then change her story halfway through.

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:08 AM   #739
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Um, no.

That is not indicated at all.
None of your indications are supported by any research
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:09 AM   #740
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

You are rewriting the article with your own interpretation. It explicitly states what they are looking for.
'Looking for' an 'is' are not synonymous
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:00 PM   #741
Daylightstar
Philosopher

According to them , it should alter many of the theories of physics. You'll probably hear about it before I will if it is confirmed.
You need to realize that this particular experiment can not even confirm the idea of a holographic universe.
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:31 PM   #742
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Only if their experiment is conclusive.
All they can conclude is that something interesting, possibly fundamental would be going on.
Not what exactly would be going on.
Old 5th December 2015, 04:54 PM   #743
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 View Post
To have an OBE, to see the tunnel, then the light, then the words: 'it's not your time yet' assumes a certain patern of electric activity in the brain.
It must be a big coincidence that the dying brains of all these people are functioning so well that they have the same sequence and patern of electric activity.

It's also about the ontological status of 'the Light' and 'the Tunnel' when many people have the same experience, independent from each other.
Many people with trauma of various types see the same entoptic patterns, independent of each other. So maybe you can tell tell us how psychological stress, threshold consciousness (hypnagogia), insulin hypoglycemia, the delirium of fever, epilepsy, psychotic episodes, advanced syphilis, sensory deprivation, photostimulation, electrical stimulation, crystal gazing, migraine headaches, dizziness and a variety of drug-induced intoxications consistently propel the soul into other dimensions.

Do you really believe that drugs such as mescaline allows your soul to leave its body?

Here is a link and quote on some common entoptic patterns, which are called form factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_constant
'A form constant is one of several geometric patterns which are recurringly observed during hallucinations and altered states of consciousness.

Klüver's form constants have appeared in other drug-induced and naturally-occurring hallucinations, suggesting a similar physiological process underlying hallucinations with different triggers. Klüver's form constants also appear in near-death experiences and sensory experiences of those with synesthesia. Other triggers include psychological stress, threshold consciousness (hypnagogia), insulin hypoglycemia, the delirium of fever, epilepsy, psychotic episodes, advanced syphilis, sensory deprivation, photostimulation, electrical stimulation, crystal gazing, migraine headaches, dizziness and a variety of drug-induced intoxications.[1] These shapes may appear on their own or with eyes shut in the form of phosphenes, especially when exerting pressure against the closed eyelid.[2]
It is believed that the reason why these form constants appear has to do with the way the visual system is organized, and in particular in the mapping between patterns on the retina and the columnar organization of primary visual cortex. Concentric circles in the retina are mapped into parallel lines in visual cortex. Spirals, tunnels, lattices and cobwebs map into lines in different directions. This means that if activation spreads in straight lines within the visual cortex, the experience is equivalent to looking at actual form constants.[1]
Author Michael Moorcock once observed in print that the shapes he had seen during his migraine headaches resembled exactly the form of fractals. The diversity of conditions that provoke such patterns suggests that form constants reflect some fundamental property of visual perception.'

Squeeze your eyes really tight and then relax them, keeping your eyes closed. You will see some entoptic patterns frequently attributed to OBEs. The optic nerve of all human beings was shaped by millions of years of natural selection. The inborn connections are common to all human beings. So stress excites these patterns which go to the brain.

I predict that you will avoid all discussion of entoptic patterns. I am not certain, but

Last edited by Darwin123; 5th December 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2015, 01:47 AM   #744
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darwin123 View Post
Many people with trauma of various types see the same entoptic patterns, independent of each other. So maybe you can tell tell us how psychological stress, threshold consciousness (hypnagogia), insulin hypoglycemia, the delirium of fever, epilepsy, psychotic episodes, advanced syphilis, sensory deprivation, photostimulation, electrical stimulation, crystal gazing, migraine headaches, dizziness and a variety of drug-induced intoxications consistently propel the soul into other dimensions.

Do you really believe that drugs such as mescaline allows your soul to leave its body?

Here is a link and quote on some common entoptic patterns, which are called form factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_constant
'A form constant is one of several geometric patterns which are recurringly observed during hallucinations and altered states of consciousness.

Klüver's form constants have appeared in other drug-induced and naturally-occurring hallucinations, suggesting a similar physiological process underlying hallucinations with different triggers. Klüver's form constants also appear in near-death experiences and sensory experiences of those with synesthesia. Other triggers include psychological stress, threshold consciousness (hypnagogia), insulin hypoglycemia, the delirium of fever, epilepsy, psychotic episodes, advanced syphilis, sensory deprivation, photostimulation, electrical stimulation, crystal gazing, migraine headaches, dizziness and a variety of drug-induced intoxications.[1] These shapes may appear on their own or with eyes shut in the form of phosphenes, especially when exerting pressure against the closed eyelid.[2]
It is believed that the reason why these form constants appear has to do with the way the visual system is organized, and in particular in the mapping between patterns on the retina and the columnar organization of primary visual cortex. Concentric circles in the retina are mapped into parallel lines in visual cortex. Spirals, tunnels, lattices and cobwebs map into lines in different directions. This means that if activation spreads in straight lines within the visual cortex, the experience is equivalent to looking at actual form constants.[1]
Author Michael Moorcock once observed in print that the shapes he had seen during his migraine headaches resembled exactly the form of fractals. The diversity of conditions that provoke such patterns suggests that form constants reflect some fundamental property of visual perception.'

Squeeze your eyes really tight and then relax them, keeping your eyes closed. You will see some entoptic patterns frequently attributed to OBEs. The optic nerve of all human beings was shaped by millions of years of natural selection. The inborn connections are common to all human beings. So stress excites these patterns which go to the brain.

I predict that you will avoid all discussion of entoptic patterns. I am not certain, but
That's really interesting- thank you!

Old 7th December 2015, 10:09 AM   #745
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

That's really interesting- thank you!
OBE doesn't just include optical hallucinations. Hallucinations can be auditory, too. Auditory hallucinations are often associated with very physical causes, such as drugs and head trauma. Simple stress can cause a person to 'hear' voices and music.

Auditory hallucinations also have common 'themes' common among humans in different cultures. Further, not all these hallucinations are associated with mental illness. Sometimes, the mysterious voice manifests the 'internal dialog' that sane people have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audito...c_symptomology
‘A paracusia, or auditory hallucination,[1] is a form of hallucination that involves perceiving sounds without auditory stimulus. Auditory hallucinations need to be distinguished from endaural phenomena in which sounds are heard without any external acoustic stimulation but arise from disorders of the ear or auditory system.
A common form of auditory hallucination involves hearing one or more talking voices. This may be associated with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia or mania, and holds special significance in diagnosing these conditions.[2] However, individuals may hear voices without suffering from diagnosable mental illness.[3]
There are three main categories into which the hearing of talking voices can often fall: a person hearing a voice speak one's thoughts, a person hearing one or more voices arguing, or a person hearing a voice narrating his/her own actions.[4] These three categories do not account for all types of auditory hallucinations.
Other types of auditory hallucination include exploding head syndrome and musical ear syndrome. In the latter, people will hear music playing in their mind, usually songs they are familiar with. Reports have also mentioned that it is also possible to get musical hallucinations from listening to music for long periods of time.[5] This can be caused by: lesions on the brain stem (often resulting from a stroke); also, sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, tumors, encephalitis, or abscesses.[6] Other reasons include hearing loss and epileptic activity.

Auditory hallucinations have been known to manifest as a result of intense stress, sleep deprivation, drug use, and errors in development of proper psychological processes.[clarification needed][27] Genetic correlation has been identified with auditory hallucinations,[25] but most work with non-psychotic causes of auditory hallucinations is still ongoing.[27][28]
High caffeine consumption has been linked to an increase in the likelihood of experiencing auditory hallucinations. A study conducted by the La Trobe University School of Psychological Sciences revealed that as few as five cups of coffee a day could trigger the phenomenon.
…’

Coffee?
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2015, 10:20 AM   #746
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

To have an OBE, to see the tunnel, then the light, then the words: 'it's not your time yet' assumes a certain patern of electric activity in the brain.
People whose physical brain is in a pathological state.

www.mdpi.com/journal/brainsci/
brainsci-03-00642.pdf
Brain Sci. 2013, 3, 642-669; doi:10.3390/brainsci3020642

‘Auditory verbal hallucinations (AVH) are subjective perceptions of external speech in the absence of external stimuli. They are strongly associated with, and the most common symptom in, schizophrenia—usually intrusive, unintentional, unwanted and distressing—with a one month prevalence of about 70% [1], and are refractory to pharmacological management in about a third of such patients [2]. However AVH are not diagnostic of schizophrenia and occur in other mental illnesses including borderline personality disorder [3], depression, bipolar affective disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance misuse and neuropsychiatric disorders such as dementia, Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy [4]. ‘

One can see the damage in a person's brain with an MRI. I don't think the brain of someone who is in a state close to dying works better than a 'healthy person' with extreme schizophrenia.
Old 1st March 2016, 05:44 AM   #747
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

About near death experiences:

These experiences can't be. This does not comply with what we have learned how things work. This can not be. What about the laws of physics doesn't this break the laws?

I believe there is a master plan that is a perfect mathematical and logical plan. The plan makes sense from every perspective and angle.

Is the experience difficult to express in words? Anything that someone never experienced before is hard to explain. Describe the color blue! Well it's in the 450nm-490nm range but that says nothing about how you experience the color blue. In order to know how it is to see blue, you have to be a human or an animal with similar physiology.
'Where' is the image in the mind? What 'space' is the image in your mind in? Where is the dream? Where is your inner voice? It's not the same spacetime then where the electrical and chemical pulses are in the brain, causing this image or the dream. The image you see in your mind's eye is in a completely different dimension than where the chemistry in the brain is. (Maarten Vergucht)

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 1st March 2016 at 05:46 AM.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2016, 06:19 AM   #748
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

An experiencer about spacetime-experience:

The 'oneness', the place of love, peace, understanding and knowledge of all is also the place where time does not exist. All of what we humans call 'time' is present in this 'oneness'.

Isn't that the 'spacetime' of Einstein?
'Where' is the image in the mind? What 'space' is the image in your mind in? Where is the dream? Where is your inner voice? It's not the same spacetime then where the electrical and chemical pulses are in the brain, causing this image or the dream. The image you see in your mind's eye is in a completely different dimension than where the chemistry in the brain is. (Maarten Vergucht)

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 1st March 2016 at 06:21 AM.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2016, 07:02 AM   #749
wea
Critical Thinker

The 'oneness', the place of love, peace, understanding and knowledge of all is also the place where time does not exist. All of what we humans call 'time' is present in this 'oneness'.

No. Einstein(Minkowski)'s 'spacetime' is the topological space where the interval between a couple of events doesn't depend on the inertial frames of references where the measurements are made. What makes you think that time does not exist in this context?
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2016, 07:11 AM   #750
tsig
a carbon based life-form

That is the "Space-time for Springers".

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...B51WtRB2qUTe4-
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2016, 07:38 AM   #751
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So you experience time by not experiencing it? Something is missing there.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2016, 09:31 AM   #752
Daylightstar
Philosopher

What does this, according to you, have to do with the so called Near Death experiences?
Old 1st March 2016, 11:12 AM   #753
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
What does this, according to you, have to do with the so called Near Death experiences?
Alright, so it appears that you got that text: "The 'oneness', the place of love, peace, understanding and knowledge of all is also the place where time does not exist. All of what we humans call 'time' is present in this 'oneness'.":
..... from here, without proper attribution but with apparent false representation as a 'spacetime-experience'.

Where do you get this as a 'spacetime-experience'? Or is it just your way of attempting to associate a belief in an afterlife with Einstein?

Last edited by Daylightstar; 1st March 2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: "here" link embedded.
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2016, 02:59 PM   #754
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

No!

I don't remember Einstein, nor any of the experimental scientists who investigated relativity, referring to a place of love, peace, understanding and knowledge. I remember them talking a lot about measurements of time, though.

Your 'space time experience' is not the space time of Einstein. I never heard the phrase 'space-time experience' before.

You started the thread by claiming that experiences common to most human beings couldn't be hallucinations. I mentioned a counterexample referred to as entoptic patterns. I pointed out that entoptic patterns are hallucinations shared by most human beings.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post11014962

You changed the topic. What you are talking about now has nothing to do with out of body experiences.

I predicted that you would not address entoptic patterns. I was right!
Old 1st March 2016, 03:28 PM   #755
Tero
Illuminator

Studies show that 100% of the NDE described by colorblind people have problems describing the color or red and green bow ties of doctors in the operating room. However, blue bow ties are described correctly!

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2016, 03:38 AM   #756
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Studies show that 100% of the NDE described by colorblind people have problems describing the color or red and green bow ties of doctors in the operating room. However, blue bow ties are described correctly!
Doctors wear bow ties in the operating room?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2016, 04:16 AM   #757
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Doctors wear bow ties in the operating room?
...and sterile spats. Snappy dressers, those surgeons...
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:28 PM   #758
Donn
Philosopher

Natty Doctor Experiences.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2016, 06:33 AM   #759
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Let's give some evidence:

"I spoke with Rajaa Benamour from Casablanca, who spoke much better English than I did French. She had a really fascinating NDE which she described during one of the debate sessions. Her NDE occurred when she had a bad reaction to an anaesthetic. When she was talking to me she explained that she was wearing sunglasses indoors because since her NDE (like many NDErs I have spoken to) she had developed light sensitivity and the light was hurting her eyes.
Her NDE wasn’t described in full as I suspect it may have taken the full two days of the conference to communicate all that she experienced. She is in the process of writing a book on her experience but she estimates that it will be in three volumes because of the depth to which her experience took her. What she experienced was incredible. Her description sounded as if she had tuned into the collective unconscious and experienced the birth of the universe. She also experienced things at a quantum level. Since her recovery she has acquired intellectual abilities she did not have before and she has begun studying quantum physics at university level. What was really interesting to me is that her tutor from the university (I think he was a Professor of Physics) was interviewed for the conference. He stated that Rajaa had come to him with some papers she had written about quantum physics and he was shocked by her knowledge as she had not previously studied this. He went on to say that this knowledge could not have been attained through undertaking a booster course in this subject. In fact in some of Rajaa’s papers he did not understand what she had written but later discovered newly published papers which supported her work. Rajaa continues to study quantum physics."

Dr. Penny Sartori.
Old 4th March 2016, 06:38 AM   #760
fagin
Philosopher

Let's give some evidence:

"I spoke with Rajaa Benamour from Casablanca, who spoke much better English than I did French. She had a really fascinating NDE which she described during one of the debate sessions. Her NDE occurred when she had a bad reaction to an anaesthetic. When she was talking to me she explained that she was wearing sunglasses indoors because since her NDE (like many NDErs I have spoken to) she had developed light sensitivity and the light was hurting her eyes.
Her NDE wasn’t described in full as I suspect it may have taken the full two days of the conference to communicate all that she experienced. She is in the process of writing a book on her experience but she estimates that it will be in three volumes because of the depth to which her experience took her. What she experienced was incredible. Her description sounded as if she had tuned into the collective unconscious and experienced the birth of the universe. She also experienced things at a quantum level. Since her recovery she has acquired intellectual abilities she did not have before and she has begun studying quantum physics at university level. What was really interesting to me is that her tutor from the university (I think he was a Professor of Physics) was interviewed for the conference. He stated that Rajaa had come to him with some papers she had written about quantum physics and he was shocked by her knowledge as she had not previously studied this. He went on to say that this knowledge could not have been attained through undertaking a booster course in this subject. In fact in some of Rajaa’s papers he did not understand what she had written but later discovered newly published papers which supported her work. Rajaa continues to study quantum physics."

Dr. Penny Sartori.
Convincing enough proof for me....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal