IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:24 AM   #81
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...not-allow-free

Either Berkeley allows free speech or they lose their Federal funding.
Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:27 AM   #82
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Violation of Constitutional rights.

I don't like speech like this guy spills either, but he has a right to speak it.
Chris B.
You'd have to demonstrate that UC Berkeley violated Yiannopoulos' rights somehow. Unless you think he should sue the rioters? "Act of God" comes to mind.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:30 AM   #83
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Milo is not boring. He's fascinating. He's also extremely articulate and insightful. Yes, he is intentionally provocative and offensive, and he exaggerates his insights to the point of being obscene, but he has explained some things that I hadn't understood before. I'm happy to start a Milo thread to discuss.
I've been following him for a while now. And he has written some pretty funny and insightful stuff. And some stuff that was wildly of the mark (his explanation of the Alt-Right).

But he has been on infinite repeat for a while now. I lost interest and was thinking his star would soon start to fade.

But now that he has a $ 250.000 book deal and his trolling has actually provoked a spectacular riot that is even in the News here in the Netherlands. His trolling has worked. It is highlighting how nuts and dangerous his detractors are and how ideologically one-sided the universities are, and how hostile to 'wrongthink'.

In one swoop, Antifa introduces Milo to a huge audience that will take a while to tire of him and will buy his book. He also does his thing as a Breitbart icon, putting that platform on the map too. Antifa made Milo rich and famous today.

Counter-productive doesn't even begin to describe it.
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:32 AM   #84
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by willim View Post
Milo Yiannopoulos is Jewish, openly gay, and he was born in Greece.

That makes those who hate him and want to silence him anti-semitic, homophobic, and xenophobic.

This says a lot about the supposed "tolerance" of the left when they attack and silence a gay Jewish man who hails from a foreign country.

Hypocrites.
You failed to mention that all of Milo's boyfriends are black. Add racist to those who want to silence him.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:35 AM   #85
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Yeah, but he got a free venue upgrade to prime time news that can reach millions.
Did he? They're not actually giving him a platform.

Maybe people will watch a segment and say "If Berkeley students hate him, he must be on to something!" and buy his book, but I doubt it--people who think that way are mostly aliterate.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:35 AM   #86
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't like speech like this guy spills either, but he has a right to speak it.
Chris B.
What the hell are you talking about? He speaks all over the place. He "powns" and "schools" fools and libtards on the youtubes all the doo-dah-day. His irresistible gayboy tour (or whatever he calls it) got cancelled on the last stop. He got paid, got his "message" (whatever that is) out, and will reap the PR rewards of this silly debacle for quite awhile.

We've spoken before on this issue and free speech doesn't mean you get to spew consequence free everywhere, all the time.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:37 AM   #87
Tero
Illuminator

This too shall pass. Rage and protest will keep happening as Trump continues "foreigners bad" rhetoric. But nobody who matters...Republicans will vote Republican no matter what....will remember this 2 years from now. Trump himself will be in the limelight in 2018 and the major new factor in congressional elections. It's all about Trump no matter what.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:37 AM   #88
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
You failed to mention that all of Milo's boyfriends are black. Add racist to those who want to silence him.
I sometimes suspect he invented his fetish for black dudes, as to give his opponents something extra to be conflicted about.

Trolling, trolling, trolling...
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:42 AM   #89
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

The actions at UC Berkeley are typical of the Left wing agenda. They cannot survive when opposing views are expressed so they must silence anyone they don't agree with. These news stories are becoming more common now. I don't know if it's by accident or intentional but the Left is being exposed for what it truly is more and more lately. This is very good and will further shape our next elections.

There is no 1st Amendment allowed for you if you say things they don't like. That's not freedom. That's what they want for the Country. Sorry, everyone has the right to free speech in the US and you'll not change that.
Chris B.
Oh joy, another person who doesn't understand what the First Amendment means.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 2nd February 2017 at 08:47 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:45 AM   #90
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
The First and Second. Are there any amendments you're clear on?
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:46 AM   #91
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Which violence exactly?

You've got to give it to them, the tactics by Milo's crowd do work. First you shoot people who disagree with your views, and then when these people get angry and show up to thoroughly disrupt your gatherings you get sympathetic media attention.
"disagree"? Belly shot was attacking the guy.

Clean shot
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:47 AM   #92
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
More than 100 UC Berkeley faculty members had signed two letters sent last month to the school's chancellor, urging him to cancel the event.

About half of research at Berkeley is funded by the federal government, according to the university website. Berkeley however has been struggling in the past years with budget shortfalls and spending deficits.

Read more:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/speech-br...033717924.html

A lot of these hard-core Leftist organizations will be struggling to keep their doors open once Trump pulls their federal funding.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:49 AM   #93
Dumb All Over

You've got to give it to them, the tactics by Milo's crowd do work. First you shoot people who disagree with your views, and then when these people get angry and show up to thoroughly disrupt your gatherings you get sympathetic media attention.
From your link:
Quote:
We don’t have confirmation that the person who shot*our comrade was a counter-protester angry at those*protesting Milo’s hateful white nationalist misogyny. We do know that he turned himself into the police several hours later, claiming ‘self-defense.’ This, of course, is exactly what Scarsella did as well.
Read, "dude was shot by one of our own, but that doesn't really matter."
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:51 AM   #94
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Chris B.
UC Berkley put Milo in prison?

Oh, wait.

You don't know what the 1st amendment says, do you?
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:51 AM   #95
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Oh joy, another person who doesn't understand what the First Amendment means.
You I assume?

Hecklers veto:

Hill v. Colorado 530 US 703, 735
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:56 AM   #96
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
You'd have to demonstrate that UC Berkeley violated Yiannopoulos' rights somehow. Unless you think he should sue the rioters? "Act of God" comes to mind.
The security for the event provided by Cal was woefully inadequate. Everybody could see that in advance. You can't get around the 1st Amendment by intentionally allowing a heckler's veto.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:01 AM   #97
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Great publicity for Milo as his new book "Dangerous" is set to be released soon. I wanted to go to this event, but was disappointed when I tried to buy tickets in late November and it was already sold out. In light of recent events, I just knew there was going to be a riot.

This just drives home the point, if it hasn't been obvious enough already: the real greatest threat to the US is the hysterical intolerance and dogmatism of the progressive left.
Too funny.

I am proudly intolerant of bigots and people who show intolerance to others based on race or religion.

Got a problem with that?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:03 AM   #98
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You I assume?

Hecklers veto:

Hill v. Colorado 530 US 703, 735
How is that apposite? I don't even agree with the decision, since it seems the law was aimed at speech based on content.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:03 AM   #99
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Sad doesn't even come close.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/P...C-10901829.php

Yet look who started all of the violence. Look who is being targeted. This is bad even for Berkeley.

More intolerance (to say the least) from the left. I'd say it was only a few individuals who ruined it, but it was not.

Dozens of masked students started fires, stormed barricades, threw bricks, fireworks and "smoking objects" at police, knocked over and vandalized a generator and light that were set up, smashed windows....I forget the rest.
Should be in the "Massive wave of hate" thread...
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:05 AM   #100
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Too funny.

I am proudly intolerant of bigots and people who show intolerance to others based on race or religion.

Got a problem with that?
I do. A big problem. Because I don't trust you to judge how intolerant other people are. Nor do I trust you to be neutral in your opposition to intolerance. Intolerance of intolerance is not a virtue.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:05 AM   #101
NoahFence
Banned

I do. A big problem. Because I don't trust you to judge how intolerant other people are. Nor do I trust you to be neutral in your opposition to intolerance. Intolerance of intolerance is not a virtue.
Tough luck. Suck it up.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:08 AM   #102
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Tough luck. Suck it up.
Ok. I will tolerate your intolerance of my intolerance. Doesn't mean I won't point out that you're wrong though.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:09 AM   #103
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Milo is not boring. He's fascinating. He's also extremely articulate and insightful.
Could you please provide some examples, preferably in text form (not video)?

If you'd prefer to do so in a new thread, that's fine.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:11 AM   #104
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The security for the event provided by Cal was woefully inadequate. Everybody could see that in advance. You can't get around the 1st Amendment by intentionally allowing a heckler's veto.
Depends what you mean by "in advance." Reading the article, they cancelled the talk as soon as they knew it was moving in the direction of a riot. Proving malice aforethought would require showing intent by UC Berkeley.

It would also require them to have the resources to pre-manage things in a safe manner - not an easy thing to pull off. How have things gone at other Yiannopoulos events?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:18 AM   #105
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Exactly as I said: he doesn't tolerate others, therefore others don't tolerate him. That his opponents have chosen different tactics doesn't alter the root of the problem. If he wants to run crying to Mommy because people are tired of his crap and didn't confine their disapproval within bounds he's comfortable in, too bad. Actions have consequences. That's politics.
Pretty sure Hitler said something similar when he sent out the Brownshirts to disrupt and intimidate opponents speeches.

Sad to see it put forward on this forum.

("different tactics" - nice euphemism for fascist bully boy violence)
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:18 AM   #106
caveman1917
Philosopher

"disagree"? Belly shot was attacking the guy.

Clean shot
Evidence?
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:19 AM   #107
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
From your link:

Read, "dude was shot by one of our own, but that doesn't really matter."
Are you claiming that the IWW member was shot by "one of their own"? Evidence?
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:19 AM   #108
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Ok. I will tolerate your intolerance of my intolerance. Doesn't mean I won't point out that you're wrong though.
See, you were achieving a mild modicum of satire there for a moment, then you went and reversed it back on yourself.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:22 AM   #109
The Big Dog

Evidence?
Evidence? My good man, you have not produced any evidence at all regarding this matter other than Jabba the Hutt style blathering from so called "IWW."

Here is the video where you can see the attacker assaulting the victim, who produced a personally owned firearm in self protection only:

http://patch.com/washington/seattle/...poulos-protest

Clean shot
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:24 AM   #110
The Big Dog

How is that apposite? I don't even agree with the decision, since it seems the law was aimed at speech based on content.
You are correct, I was attempting to refer to the discussion in the concurrence but note that the cite rather muddies the issues, and hence I have deleted it.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:28 AM   #111
rdwight
Graduate Poster

Think this needs to be put in perspective. I've not read much on specific numbers with BBC saying hundreds protesting and LA Times saying 1,500 protesting. Number of rioters numbered in the dozens to a couple hundred. UC Berkeley has 38,200 students enrolled for the year 2015, which is not to mention non-student population in the area. Or people from out of the local area showing up.

So would it be fair to say that at most 4% of Berkeley students were even interested enough to simply protest this event, with an even tinier percentage of those students causing trouble/rioting/burning **** etc. Assuming of course that all people participating are actually students there. Is that really a need for the pulling of federal funds?

Should we be setting behavior standards for the federal funds that are given? And who's going to set those standards for us..
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:30 AM   #112
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Could you please provide some examples, preferably in text form (not video)?

If you'd prefer to do so in a new thread, that's fine.
Here's a transcript of one of his speeches. I don't agree with all of it, but I think it's one of the best analyses of the election results.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:32 AM   #113
NoahFence
Banned

One would think this viewpoint isn't altogether difficult to understand.

Guess I was wrong. So here goes:

You (general you) show intolerance to people based solely on race, religion, sexual orientation, or where they're from, and you're a bad person.

Period. That's all there is to it.

Being intolerant of people who show through their actions that they are bad people doesn't make you a bad person. It's simple common decency.

If I need to drop that to 140 characters, let me know.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:33 AM   #114
Dumb All Over

Are you claiming that the IWW member was shot by "one of their own"? Evidence?
Are you claiming he was shot by someone in opposition of their demonstration? Evidence?
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:34 AM   #115
NoahFence
Banned

Here's a transcript of one of his speeches. I don't agree with all of it, but I think it's one of the best analyses of the election results.
I thought you said he was articulate?

That's a pretty low bar.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:37 AM   #116
caveman1917
Philosopher

Evidence? My good man, you have not produced any evidence at all regarding this matter other than Jabba the Hutt style blathering from so called "IWW."

Here is the video where you can see the attacker assaulting the victim, who produced a personally owned firearm in self protection only:

http://patch.com/washington/seattle/...poulos-protest
What your video shows is an armed Milo supporter walking into a protesting crowd, getting blocked and pushed back[*] by a couple of people in the crowd, and then opening fire on someone.

* which seems a rational response given the history of armed extreme right-wingers and crowds of people who disagree with them (for example Breivik).
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:38 AM   #117
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

One would think this viewpoint isn't altogether difficult to understand.

Guess I was wrong. So here goes:

You (general you) show intolerance to people based solely on race, religion, sexual orientation, or where they're from, and you're a bad person.

Period. That's all there is to it.

Being intolerant of people who show through their actions that they are bad people doesn't make you a bad person. It's simple common decency.
I don't agree with your definition of a "bad person." I also don't believe that you're qualified to judge what is intolerance or not. Not even close.

Quote:
If I need to drop that to 140 characters, let me know.
Well, that's ironic. Normally your posts would fit on twitter quite easily.
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:38 AM   #118
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I sometimes suspect he invented his fetish for black dudes, as to give his opponents something extra to be conflicted about.

Trolling, trolling, trolling...
He definitely provokes for the hell of it, but he sometimes has smart things to say. Listen, and separate the wheat from the chaff.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:39 AM   #119
NoahFence
Banned

So predictable. Don't ever change!
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:40 AM   #120
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

When "V for Vendetta" came out, I liked it a lot, too.

Still a great movie, don't get me wrong.

But it's that age-old problem: the worst thing that can possibly happen to something you're an enthusiast about is for it to get popular. Now these Guy Fawkes masks draped head to toe in black have to **** up every damn social movement they touch (and they make sure they show up every time).

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 2nd February 2017 at 09:43 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics