IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:49 PM   #241
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Then we agree.
Well, where we disagree is that you want to be intolerant of people, whereas I only think being intolerant of behavior is ok. Also, there are different degrees of intolerance. If somebody gives an offensive speech (bad behavior, from my point of view), then my intolerance will consist of either shunning that speech, peacefully protesting that speech, or, most likely, writing criticism about it on the internet. It won't consist of shouting at people going to listen to that speech, let alone doing the things that leftists do routinely to conservatives on college campuses.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:51 PM   #242
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
When someone is saying they want to deprive you of the home and life you have built in America would you be polite in your response? It's a question of perspective. You think you're protecting America, they are rightly fearful of their future. I don't agree with their tactics, but I do understand them.
The only people capable of depriving me of my home are leftists. They are the only ones I fight everyday simply doing my job of managing forests.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:53 PM   #243
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's certainly desperately weak. If it doesn't look like tolerance that's probably not what it is.

That doesn't look like tolerance, and indeed it isn't.

Anarchists. It's what they do.

And not tolerated.

These are anarchists. Everybody hates anarchists.

Dozens, you say. How many students are there at Berkeley?

And there's that, of course.

You guess this from the actions of dozens of anarchists, of whom an unknown number are students.

Ironically, the reason we all hate anarchists is that they are narcissists.
These aren't anarchists, they are leftist liberals. Why must it be proven over and over to you what these people are?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:55 PM   #244
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes they have, but at the same time the left is being rejuvenated at the same time. Even more so.
Yes, and look at what they're doing! Certainly going to help your cause. Lol
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:56 PM   #245
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm not on the left side, apparently, as that would seem to require tolerating jerks. If my political beliefs were put into effect there would be no Trump, as he would have been executed long ago for his shady business doings.
No, its quite clear you're a leftist, not as close to the middle as others, but clearly left.
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:58 PM   #246
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

You might want to start with some reading.

Yiannopoulos' sexuality
Whilst I don't think it is homophobic to disagree with Milo, he is allowed to have these opinions and talk about them in the public square.

I used to know a guy who said he'd preferred to have been born straight.

I'd prefer people would feel at ease with who they are, but some people think this way.

Milo also has an open mic and takes questions at his talks. Offering a non violent way to engage his arguments.
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:59 PM   #247
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
The only people capable of depriving me of my home are leftists. They are the only ones I fight everyday simply doing my job of managing forests.
Are you that incapable of seeing a subject through the eyes of somebody else, even if you don't agree with them?
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:01 PM   #248
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
It's hard to imagine Democratic voters not turning out in greater numbers next time, assuming Trump runs for reelection.
He's actually already filed. There's a whole host of reasons why, not the least of which is is ability to fund raise.

It's completely unheard of at this stage, which is in keeping with the fuhrer's administration so far.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:03 PM   #249
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So why do you think that people you want to deport wouldn't want to put up a fight?
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:03 PM   #250
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
After a bit of digging, they seem to have been posted by last week by Breitbart, who was quoting the San Diego Union-Tribune, who were probably referencing an online survey done by Berkeley in 2015.

I'm providing that simply as information; I am not going to defend the reliability of online surveys or the relevance of a 2015 survey to the current political environment.

/derail
It's linked right in the OP.

As I said in the OP, there was a small sample size, I didn't want to misrepresent the statistics, or be unfair about it.

To answer abc - no I did not guess the statistics, they were provided by Berkeley in their own newspaper. It's clearly stated in the OP and the article.

Is it hard to believe that people would be against sanctuary cities? If laws need to be changed to allow ICE and the cities to do this easier than fine, but how could this possibly be a good idea?

We have homeless and tent cities all over San Jose, never mind SF - that's just a dump. It's simple math, we simply cannot afford it. And we're supposed to bring in millions more?

If you want to intentionally ruin an economy just follow Cali's lead. We got this!
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:04 PM   #251
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Caught this one before I logged in.

I watched a young woman get pepper sprayed in the face while doing a TV interview. Another person was knocked out. I'm watching these asshats burn and destroy their campus - who will pay for this? Taxpayers?

Yeah right I'M whining?

You are sick, and your buddies over here our destroying their own campus.

You people need to calm the hell down - but then again, you, yes you since you support them, are once again playing to Trumps tune. You think people are going to tolerate this? Do you think you are convincing a single person that you are somehow right?

WWIII - I hope someday you all will look back and see how infantile your behavior is. To me it's twilight zone.

Why is it that those people, the clear minority of anti-trump people represent all of us who didn't vote for trump, but the millions of people who turned up at the March for Women, with little if any police action don't?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:05 PM   #252
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

You might want to start with some reading.

Yiannopoulos' sexuality
I think Willim's post was in jest.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:07 PM   #253
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

These aren't anarchists, they are leftist liberals. Why must it be proven over and over to you what these people are?
Wrong.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/mil...ulos-berkeley/

Quote:
At least six people were injured. Some were attacked by the agitators -- who are a part of an anarchist group known as the "Black Bloc" that has been causing problems in Oakland for years, said Dan Mogulof, UC Berkeley spokesman.
http://thetab.com/us/uc-berkeley/201...cancelled-3244
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8fd262504d09

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:10 PM   #254
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

I said it leads to it. If you are intolerant towards, say, blacks, you're not going to allow them to rent an appartment in your building, for instance. Where do they go then, if few people will let them rent? Does that not harm them?
Well, the liberal definition of intolerance is apparently proposing policies that they disagree with. Or saying offensive things, even by accident. So I disagree that being intolerant towards blacks means you won't rent them an apartment. Even then, there are legal remedies to discrimination based on race in renting apartments. It is completely unnecessary to go all vigilante on somebody you think is doing that (key word there is "think" since you probably do not "know").

Quote:
Stop moving the goalposts. The post you responded to was about intolerance OF RACE. I even quoted it back to you.
Actually, you used the word "racist" not intolerance. Racism is the belief that certain large groups of people, identifiable by superficial visual traits like skin color, facial shape, hair consistency or whatnot, have other genetically determined traits (and possibly culturally derived traits) which are inferior, on average, to those of one's preferred genetic group. By itself, racism is a belief system. Not a mode of behavior, although it's possible to engage in racist behavior, which I think is discriminating unfairly based on race.

Ironically, I think most white liberals are racist in that they think certain minorities are incapable of succeeding without radical help from the government. And they engage in racist behavior by trying to design government policies which discriminate based on race.

Quote:
Ignoring the hubris of that statement, please state what is inconsistent in my value system. Bear in mind that two consistent systems can be at odds. That sounds like you're now playing a rhetorical game against the other "side", rather than having a discussion.
Your arguments are often not consistent, but I don't want to be goaded into a Rule 12 violation.

Quote:
I will not allow you to change the definition of "racism" to play gotcha with me. I answered your question as written.
Many SJWs insist that white people have special unearned privileges. Do you agree with that? Personally, I think it's total garbage. It might be the case that black people (for example) have certain disadvantages, on average, that white people don't have, on average, but to frame it as an undeserved privilege that white people have (let alone all white people) is malicious. It provides SJWs with a justification (which is intentional) to strip any and all white people of those "privileges" because they are allegedly unearned.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:29 PM   #255
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
Are you that incapable of seeing a subject through the eyes of somebody else, even if you don't agree with them?
I suspect he doesn't consider 'leftists' to be human beings.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:39 PM   #256
The Big Dog

Why is it that those people, the clear minority of anti-trump people represent all of us who didn't vote for trump, but the millions of people who turned up at the March for Women, with little if any police action don't?
Oh sorry, the anti-free speech violent fanatics represent you AND the accomplish nothing pink hatters also represent you!

I hope that makes it better?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:44 PM   #257
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Wrong.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/mil...ulos-berkeley/
Quote:
At least six people were injured. Some were attacked by the agitators -- who are a part of an anarchist group known as the "Black Bloc" that has been causing problems in Oakland for years, said Dan Mogulof, UC Berkeley spokesman.
http://thetab.com/us/uc-berkeley/201...cancelled-3244
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8fd262504d09
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:46 PM   #258
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh sorry, the anti-free speech violent fanatics represent you AND the accomplish nothing pink hatters also represent you!

I hope that makes it better?

Old 2nd February 2017, 01:50 PM   #259
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
dl:
Oh dear, I know you are familiar with the Black bloc, because I mentioned them yesterday.

Does your astute "laughing dog" argument stand for the principle that all anarchists are the same?

Where ya going with that otherwise awesome argument?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:52 PM   #260
The Big Dog

Not sure how you miss that:

I am saying the pink hat ladies who got totally owned by one lollipop sucking "badass" DO represent you too!

Old 2nd February 2017, 02:01 PM   #261
caveman1917
Philosopher

Oh dear, I know you are familiar with the Black bloc, because I mentioned them yesterday.

Does your astute "laughing dog" argument stand for the principle that all anarchists are the same?

Where ya going with that otherwise awesome argument?
There is no such group known as the "Black Bloc" - let alone an anarchist group known as such.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:04 PM   #262
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Anarchists done for us?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:06 PM   #263
NoahFence
Banned

Not sure how you miss that:

I am saying the pink hat ladies who got totally owned by one lollipop sucking "badass" DO represent you too!

Just because someone represents you, doesn't mean you agree with their actions.

Or did you agree with everything Obama did?
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:09 PM   #264
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Just because someone represents you, doesn't mean you agree with their actions.

Or did you agree with everything Obama did?
As much as I disagreed with some of Obama's actions, I don't recall ever going on a destructive rampage when someone from his faction made a public appearance.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:11 PM   #265
The Big Dog

There is no such group known as the "Black Bloc" - let alone an anarchist group known as such.
There isn't? I was unaware that you were chosen the spokesperson for anarchists.

How did you get that position? i din't vote for 'im.

Did the Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that You, caveman, was to carry Excalibur. And that is why you are their spokesman!!

Now in all seriousness, did you think that we forgot that just yesterday you were linking to articles singing the virtues of the Black Bloc?
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:13 PM   #266
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
As much as I disagreed with some of Obama's actions, I don't recall ever going on a destructive rampage when someone from his faction made a public appearance.
Hmmm. I can't say I was a huge fan of his Murder Drone policy, but I would have fought to the death for his right to speak about his Murder Drone policy.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:17 PM   #267
caveman1917
Philosopher

There isn't? I was unaware that you were chosen the spokesperson for anarchists.
If you think there is such a group, feel free to present it. Who are its members, what are its publications, where is it located?

Quote:
Now in all seriousness, did you think that we forgot that just yesterday you were linking to articles singing the virtues of the Black Bloc?
Quote? I can't remember linking to anything which describes a black bloc as anything other than a tactic.

Last edited by caveman1917; 2nd February 2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:18 PM   #268
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Hmmm. I can't say I was a huge fan of his Murder Drone policy, but I would have fought to the death for his right to speak about his Murder Drone policy.
Dronophobe
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:19 PM   #269
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe not formally....but the "Black Block" is the term used in Norcal for a group of Anarchist in Berkely who have long history of this kind of behavior.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:21 PM   #270
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Whilst I don't think it is homophobic to disagree with Milo, he is allowed to have these opinions and talk about them in the public square.

I used to know a guy who said he'd preferred to have been born straight.

I'd prefer people would feel at ease with who they are, but some people think this way.

Milo also has an open mic and takes questions at his talks. Offering a non violent way to engage his arguments.
Can you find a post by me saying Milo was not entitled to his opinions?

The poster I was responding to called people criticizing Milo's beliefs (which we are also entitled to do) hypocritical because Milo identifies himself as gay. I posted what is easily found information about Milo that he himself expresses homophobic beliefs. There is no hypocrisy criticizing a homophobic gay man for his homophobia. I've done it many times, as there are more than a few very prominent anti-gay gay guys.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:22 PM   #271
The Big Dog

If you think there is such a group, feel free to present it. Who are its members, what are its publications, where is it located?

Quote? I can't remember linking to anything which describes a black bloc as anything other than a tactic.
I do feel free to do it:

The Black Bloc boys are cute!
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:22 PM   #272
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by willim View Post
Milo Yiannopoulos is Jewish, openly gay, and he was born in Greece.

That makes those who hate him and want to silence him anti-semitic, homophobic, and xenophobic.

This says a lot about the supposed "tolerance" of the left when they attack and silence a gay Jewish man who hails from a foreign country.

Hypocrites.
Not how it works, but nice try.

Frankly, as much as I see Ben Shapiro and the like as clowns, even that guy hasn't, say, outed a transgender student who attends the university he was speaking at, to note one thing this Milo guy has done.

Again, everyone knows the Black Bloc are a pack of violent idiots. But the only reason to invite this guy onto campus is to cause as much controversy as possible.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:26 PM   #273
NoahFence
Banned

Conspicuous by its absence from any reply from Sunmaster, theprestige, TBD or the user who made the observation initially, mgidm86 - is an answer to the question. Deflect, deflect, deflect.
Why is that?

So I ask.

Again.

Why do the infinitesimally small number of nitwits who choose violence represent the whole of liberals in your mind, but the massive number of peaceful protesters that we saw at the Women's march don't?
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:28 PM   #274
The Big Dog

Conspicuous by its absence from any reply from Sunmaster, theprestige, TBD or the user who made the observation initially, mgidm86 - is an answer to the question. Deflect, deflect, deflect.
Why is that?

So I ask.

Again.

Why do the infinitesimally small number of nitwits who choose violence represent the whole of liberals in your mind, but the massive number of peaceful protesters that we saw at the Women's march don't?

"the massive number of peaceful protesters that we saw at the Women's march" DO TOO!

Cripes I said that three times already for Pete's sake.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:32 PM   #275
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to imagine Democratic voters not turning out in greater numbers next time, assuming Trump runs for reelection.
Again: I'm seeing a concerning lack of imagination on the ISF...

Democratic voters can want to turn out in greater numbers, but if they've been denied voter registration ("New law! No Ex-felons voting. New law! Drug testing for voters in Inner Cities!"), have 20 hour lineups that extend beyond a "state of emergency" curfew... And that's if they're in the eligible demographic... I would not be surprised by deportations or blanket citizenship revocations. DREAMers and recent immigrants look like a logical target for deportation, much less disenfranchisement.

Enthusiasm and popular support may not translate into sufficient votes to ensure a Republican defeat.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:42 PM   #276
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Maybe not formally....but the "Black Block" is the term used in Norcal for a group of Anarchist in Berkely who have long history of this kind of behavior.
Well then we know how seriously to take people displaying such level of ignorance on the subject. Let me guess, liberals?
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:48 PM   #277
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well then we know how seriously to take people displaying such level of ignorance on the subject. Let me guess, liberals?
Ignorance being a refusal to support the idiotic actions of the rioters....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:49 PM   #278
The Big Dog

I do feel free to do it:

The Black Bloc boys are cute!
Can a brother get a laughing dog?

Fantastic!
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:49 PM   #279
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Again: I'm seeing a concerning lack of imagination on the ISF...

Democratic voters can want to turn out in greater numbers, but if they've been denied voter registration ("New law! No Ex-felons voting. New law! Drug testing for voters in Inner Cities!"), have 20 hour lineups that extend beyond a "state of emergency" curfew... And that's if they're in the eligible demographic... I would not be surprised by deportations or blanket citizenship revocations. DREAMers and recent immigrants look like a logical target for deportation, much less disenfranchisement.

Enthusiasm and popular support may not translate into sufficient votes to ensure a Republican defeat.
I don't think turning America into a Banana Republic is going to be as easy as you think.
Or if you really think that, then go out and get a rifle and ammunition, because armed resistence will be the only way to restore democracy.
Or maybe you just indulging in "Despair Porn",which I have seen quite a bit off here lately.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 2nd February 2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:50 PM   #280
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Again, everyone knows the Black Bloc are a pack of violent idiots.
Everyone knows liberals are a pack of violent idiots, and people who participate in black blocs are peaceful and intelligent. Well, everyone excluding liberals themselves of course.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics