ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags russell targ , uri geller

Old 18th April 2019, 12:44 AM   #41
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I like 'The men who stare at goats' better.

OP maybe you can answer this one, It always seems to get avoided. Can I get pink eye in my 3rd eye?
No, but you can get hemorrhoids.

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 02:08 AM   #42
Bubba
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
If the CIA was so convinved that remote viewing was real why did they stop trying to use it?

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Did they stop using it? Are you sure?

Why would anyone think of asking ?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 05:21 AM   #43
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

A few months ago, I listened to one of those NPR “To The Best Of Our Knowledge” segments dealing with this.
Furnished by a reporter who maintained that the US was indeed continuing this “research”, hopefully for doing things like psychically detecting IEDs along roadways....

The credibility of the report went into the tubes when the reporter began mentioning Uri Geller in breathless terms...
I sent in an e-mail to the show complaining about journalistic integrity, and got a reply to the effect that they knew Geller was a “controversial” figure but that they expected listeners to “judge for themselves”.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #44
Axxman300
Illuminator

Yes, they were forced to stop in the mid-1980's by conservative Christians who sat on the House and Senate Intelligence Committees. Psychics = Satanism. I think I read this in an old Jack Anderson column.

Besides, technology was taking off like a rocket. Woo was no longer needed,
Old 18th April 2019, 03:11 PM   #45
Bubba
Master Poster

Oh I get it now, it was a joke complimenting Cosmic Yak's joke !

His was brilliant, as it plays well, whether you take it as sarcasm, or as if he was serious ! Genius!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
If the CIA was so convinved that remote viewing was real why did they stop trying to use it?

Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 03:23 PM   #46
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Oh I get it now, it was a joke complimenting Cosmic Yak's joke !

His was brilliant, as it plays well, whether you take it as sarcasm, or as if he was serious ! Genius!
So no actual answer then?
Old 18th April 2019, 05:25 PM   #47
Bubba
Master Poster

No need.

They covered it very well. To my satisfaction anyway.

Last edited by Bubba; 18th April 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM   #48
Ersby
Fortean

Originally Posted by MattNelson View Post
How do you guys ignore remote viewers Pat Price, Joe McMoneagle, and Ingo Swann?
I don't ignore them. Occasionally I write about them on my blog but if you'd prefer to pick an example of remote viewing, then I'm happy to discuss it here.

As for the magnetometer experiment, I can't be of much help since I don't know anything about magnetometers and this informal experiment dated before Puthoff began work commissioned by the CIA, so there isn't a detailed contemporary description of it that I can find.

http://ersby.blogspot.com/search/label/Remote%20Viewing

Last edited by Ersby; Yesterday at 01:12 AM. Reason: add link
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #49
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
I don't ignore them. Occasionally I write about them on my blog but if you'd prefer to pick an example of remote viewing, then I'm happy to discuss it here.

As for the magnetometer experiment, I can't be of much help since I don't know anything about magnetometers and this informal experiment dated before Puthoff began work commissioned by the CIA, so there isn't a detailed contemporary description of it that I can find.

http://ersby.blogspot.com/search/label/Remote%20Viewing

From your blog:

Quote:
....Angela Ford (then called Dellafiore) was one of the remote viewers at that time and in her interview with CBS she describes it:

“I said the man was in Lowell, Wyoming, and I spelt it L-O-W-E-L-L. [...] Well, when my boss went to Customs and said ‘we’re still getting the Wyoming feeling,’ Customs said ‘As we're speaking we're apprehending Charles Jordan 100 miles west of Lovell, Wyoming’.”

Out of all the claims of success for Project Stargate, this one is perhaps the most striking. Tasked with finding a man on the run who, after three years as a fugitive, could be anywhere on the American continent, and yet succeeding in naming a town within a hundred miles of his ultimate place of arrest is very impressive.

Such hogwash. Obviously it was merely a lucky guess. Not only that, it wasnt even spelled correctly, fer cripes sake.

Yet another wackjob fairy tale proving that materialists rule !
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #50
Ersby
Fortean

From your blog:

Such hogwash. Obviously it was merely a lucky guess. Not only that, it wasnt even spelled correctly, fer cripes sake.

Yet another wackjob fairy tale proving that materialists rule !
This is the post in question:

http://ersby.blogspot.com/2018/04/pr...rdan-case.html

That would be a very lucky guess. But bear in mind that the fugitive was actually found 250 miles away from Lowell so its status as a "hit" is in doubt. And, as I wrote, the contents of the episode of America's Most Wanted that featured Charlie Jordan a few months previously may hold a clue as to why she said Lowell in the first place.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #51
Bubba
Master Poster

That would be a very lucky guess. But bear in mind that the fugitive was actually found 250 miles away from Lowell so its status as a "hit" is in doubt. And, as I wrote, the contents of the episode of America's Most Wanted that featured Charlie Jordan a few months previously may hold a clue as to why she said Lowell in the first place.

I heard the guy was actually in Lowell when she 'saw' him there, before they nabbed him.

Last edited by Bubba; Yesterday at 01:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #52
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Were the conditions for a successful hit defined beforehand? Did those conditions include getting some letters of a town within 250 miles correct? And, most importantly, did the information aid anybody in any way?

BTW, 250 miles away gives an acceptable area of approximately 196,343 square miles. That's bigger than the state of California.

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; Yesterday at 01:29 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #53
Axxman300
Illuminator

I can say that the Zodiac Killer lived within a 250 mile radius of San Francisco, CA. I can also say that if he's dead, and opted for burial, his grave is also within that 250 mile radius.

Where do I sign up for that True Crime-Solving Psychic TV show?
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #54
Ersby
Fortean

I heard the guy was actually in Lowell when she 'saw' him there, before they nabbed him.
I've heard this too, but I can't find anything that backs this up definitively. It's possible, though. She must have been somewhere in the vicinity otherwise the DIA wouldn't have suddenly asked her for another remote viewing session after two months.

Last edited by Ersby; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #55
Ersby
Fortean

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Were the conditions for a successful hit defined beforehand? Did those conditions include getting some letters of a town within 250 miles correct?
A remote viewing session was all about getting visual impressions and building on those. There are no real predefined conditions for what constitutes a hit. Any imagery they got that can be related to the target is usually called a "hit".

Quote:
And, most importantly, did the information aid anybody in any way?
No. It was a lead from a VHS home video they found when the police searched Charlie Jordan's parent's house, iirc.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #56
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Any imagery they got that can be related to the target is usually called a "hit".
Hence they fool themselves into thinking the hit rate is better than would be expected by chance, even though properly conducted and blinded test protocols would prove it isn't. AKA retroactive clairvoyance.

I realise you already know this very well, Ersby, but it appears the OP is still visiting the forum even though he hasn't posted recently, and I am choosing to hope that he is sufficiently open minded to be learning something.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal