ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 11:52 PM   #3681
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Also, I would like some advice on how to turn my pool of potential pennies into a small fortune.

Start with a large fortune.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 11:56 PM   #3682
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Anyway, Jabba, I see that you still haven't got around to answering this question:

If someone else existed instead of you, would your argument for immortality be valid if they presented it?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 11:58 PM   #3683
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Deleted - double post.

Old 20th June 2017, 01:41 AM   #3684
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
- To make the penny example analogous to my issue ... I find a penny lying on a street; one hypothesis would be that in the whole world there is only one penny lying on a street, while the other hypothesis is that in the whole world, there are numerous pennies lying on streets. That I happened to find one on my particular street, is much more likely given the second hypothesis.
To make the penny example even more analogous to your issue ... You find a penny lying on the street. One hypothesis would be that the penny has existed and always will exist as it is now, eternal and immortal. Another would be that the penny was minted some time ago as part of a production process, and that it may at some future time be melted down and re-forged as something else, or simply corrode away completely. Which of these hypotheses is more probable from the fact that you found that penny in that location at that time?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 20th June 2017 at 01:43 AM.
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 06:44 AM   #3685
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The penny really really wants to live forever. That changes the problem, doesn't it?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 07:07 AM   #3686
GuitKitty
Scholar

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The penny really really wants to live forever. That changes the problem, doesn't it?
Depends. How many legs did Abraham Lincoln have? And . . . did he drive an immortal Volkswagen?
GuitKitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 07:15 AM   #3687
Jabba
Illuminator

- Sackett wasn't being serious, so I have to take on someone else.
- I just can't deal with all you guys at once -- I need one spokesperson for your side.
- Also, I need to deal with one sub-issue at a time, so unless you tell me which sub-issue in your post you want me to deal with first, I'll pick the one I'd most like to deal with myself.
- If no one volunteers (Godless Dave, Hans, Agatha, SOdhner, Argumemnon, LL, js, jond, whomever?), or is nominated, I'll answer to Jay.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 07:21 AM   #3688
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

- I just can't deal with all you guys at once -- I need one spokesperson for your side.
- Also, I need to deal with one sub-issue at a time, so unless you tell me which sub-issue in your post you want me to deal with first, I'll pick the one I'd most like to deal with myself.
- If no one volunteers (Godless Dave, Hans, Agatha, SOdhner, Argumemnon, LL, js, jond, whomever?), or is nominated, I'll answer to Jay.

Rather than worry about who is bringing up an objection, why don't you just address the objection raised? Seeing as how you have yet to deal with any sub-issue, why should anyone believe you will have the fortitude to do so moving on?
Old 20th June 2017, 07:23 AM   #3689
sackett
Philosopher

Okay, you're onto me, Jabba. I wasn't being serious, certainly not in the way you want. I was clowning and commiting broad lampoonery.

Now why was that, do you suppose?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 07:36 AM   #3690
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Effective debate TM.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 07:41 AM   #3691
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No. A thousand times NO.

You tried that before, remember? And you were facilitated here, remember? Even though nobody here was under any obligation to do so, remember? And you immediately broke your own rules, remember? And you abandoned the attempt, remember?

Have you asked Jay's permission to nominate him? Has he agreed?

I'm guessing that will be two more "no"s.
Old 20th June 2017, 07:44 AM   #3692
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

You've been whining about those things for 5 years, and when we let you have one opponent to deal with one topic at a time YOU FOLDED.

And no, I'm not going to look it up in case Befuddled Old Man doesn't remember.
Old 20th June 2017, 07:45 AM   #3693
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Okay, you're onto me, Jabba. I wasn't being serious, certainly not in the way you want. I was clowning and commiting broad lampoonery.

Now why was that, do you suppose?
Even more amusing is how long it took for that analogous "penny" to drop.
Old 20th June 2017, 07:56 AM   #3694
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

- Sackett wasn't being serious, so

[...]

I'll answer to Jay.
You were better off answering to sackett.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 08:07 AM   #3695
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You were better off answering to sackett.
When was that? I've asked Jabba to reflect on the implications of his longed-for immortality, several times, and even seriously. His silence has been number than novocane.

Maybe that's not so bad.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 08:28 AM   #3696
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Delay of game; five yard penalty. Again.
Old 20th June 2017, 08:34 AM   #3697
wea
Critical Thinker

I'll answer to Jay.
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 08:47 AM   #3698
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod InfoDue to thread length, this thread has been closed and a continuation has been started. The new thread is here. Because this is a continuation, posting quotes from this thread is allowed.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy