ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags body fat , metabolism , weight loss

View Poll Results: Where do 10 pounds of body fat go when you lose them?
Ha! I knew this already! 27 60.00%
Not difficult - thinking about this for a bit, I think I know now 9 20.00%
I have a hunch - but am not sure 3 6.67%
I have no freaking idea. Mystery! Please solve! 2 4.44%
On planet X, no one has body fat to start with 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th July 2017, 02:33 PM   #81
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It's been 4 days, and unbelievably, no-one has started a "Where does the bloody fart go when I let it loose?" thread yet. Honestly, this place is going to the dogs.
Chipotlaway
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 03:36 AM   #82
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Are you telling us no ever loses fat??
No.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 01:30 PM   #83
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
( Sincere inquiry ..)What is the nature of the mass that lost in chemical reactions? What particles or fractions thereof?
Ziggurat already explained this at least as well as I could - yes, there is mass associated with the energy of the electric fields that holds together molecules. When that field energy is lost as heat during a chemical reaction, the sum of the field energies of the products is lower than that of the educts, and thus the associated total mass of the products is (very slightly) lower.

Where does it go?
Heat - I mean increased temperature of some amount of material - is nothing but molecules and atoms moving somewhat faster on average than before.
Now remember what you learned about the Special Theory of Relativity: When a body gets faster, its mass increases "relativistically", according to certain formulas Einstein stole from that other bloke. Very close to the speed of light, that mass increase becomes very pronounces, but in general, whenever you heat some material, its mass increases because of that relativistic effect that makes faster molecules a tiny bit heavier.

No particles are added or lost.
Old 17th July 2017, 06:39 AM   #84
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I saw a cool presentation the other day, which started with a seemingly simple question, but posed to many random people, it turns few have an idea - and many have wrong hunches.

So I decided to test this forum:

When you lose 10 pounds of body fat, where do they go?
(This is talking about the usual way of losing weight, through exercise and eating less)

Now I don't want you to blurt out out the answer!!

Just indicate for now if you think you know the answer, or can guess it, or don't know. I would like to get just poll answers for, say, two days, before we actually answer the question! Note: I allow names of voters to be displayed!

No spoilers, please!
Without reading any of the other responses, I'm going to say that some of it is excreted as water in the urine, but a lot of it is actually excreted as carbon dioxide when you exhale.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 10:57 AM   #85
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Without reading any of the other responses, I'm going to say that some of it is excreted as water in the urine, but a lot of it is actually excreted as carbon dioxide when you exhale.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:11 AM   #86
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Can I safely market 4 7 8 breathing as a weight loss course then?
Old 17th July 2017, 11:33 AM   #87
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
Well, you can probably successfully market it as a weight loss course.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 02:05 PM   #88
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Well, you can probably successfully market it as a weight loss course.
What if I add the caveat to eat less? - Job done
Old 17th July 2017, 03:48 PM   #89
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I still prefer the cold-beer-and-icecream diet.

The principle:
A calory is defined as the amount of energy needed to heat 1 g of water by 1 C.
A bottle of cold beer contains 500 g of beer (or whatever size you prefer) at, say, 6 C. When you drink it, your stomach and intestines warm it up to body temperature 36 C - that's +30 C.
It follows that you need to expend 500 * 30 = 15000 calories when you drink half a litre of cold beer.
There are 205 calories in 0.5 L of beer.
15000 - 205 = 14795 calories net loss!

Same principle applies to icecream.
Old 17th July 2017, 04:07 PM   #90
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

The principle:
A bottle of cold beer contains 500 g of beer (or whatever size you prefer) at, say, 6 C. When you drink it, your stomach and intestines warm it up to body temperature 36 C - that's +30 C.
It follows that you need to expend 500 * 30 = 15000 calories when you drink half a litre of cold beer.

We are in business

1) 4 7 8 breathing - couple of hours a day
2) Eat less - couple of times a week
3) Drink beer (or eat Ice Cream) couple of times a day

Occasionally go full Atkins (food wise not the jogging ) one day a week.
Old 17th July 2017, 06:25 PM   #91
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The principle:

I like the way you think, except "food calories" are actually kilocalories so you're off by a factor of 1000. Oops.

15,000 - 20500 = -5500 straight to your waistline.
Old 17th July 2017, 06:29 PM   #92
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I like the way you think, except "food calories" are actually kilocalories so you're off by a factor of 1000. Oops.

Sure, but you don't tell people that.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:03 AM   #93
Roboramma
Philosopher

You are still off by a factor of 10. Should be 15,000 - 205,000.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 04:36 AM   #94
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

What if I add the caveat to eat less? - Job done
Good luck marketing that!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th July 2017, 08:47 AM   #95
rustypouch
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Or you can eat low fat substitutes:

I AGREE
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 03:45 PM   #96
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

I AGREE
Simple, charge the 4 7 8 breathing punters so much, they can't afford to buy food.

I am putting the 4Ps (now 7) of marketing to maximum drive.

Last edited by Belgian thought; 18th July 2017 at 04:54 PM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 04:07 PM   #97
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

I AGREE
SOOOOO true!

And I find the exact same difficulty explaining how to reduce atmospheric greenhouse gasses and reverse global warming!

To lose weight we eat less and move more.

To reverse AGW we reduce CO2 emissions and sequester more carbon in the soil.

Both the simplicity of the solution, and the resistance to actually taking action, are astonishingly similar.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 04:23 PM   #98
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
SOOOOO true!

And I find the exact same difficulty explaining how to reduce atmospheric greenhouse gasses and reverse global warming!

To lose weight we eat less and move more.

To reverse AGW we reduce CO2 emissions and sequester more carbon in the soil.

Both the simplicity of the solution, and the resistance to actually taking action, are astonishingly similar.
Paradoxically, the whole human population of the planet losing weight would initially lead to an increase in CO2 production.
Old 18th July 2017, 04:25 PM   #99
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Paradoxically, the whole human population of the planet losing weight would initially lead to an increase in CO2 production.
I suppose you are right. Insignificantly small but you are correct...sort of!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:05 PM   #100
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
I suppose you are right. Insignificantly small but you are correct...sort of!
Only trying to sadly find humour in an increasingly depressing future...

I am with you on all you said, perhaps to an extreme.

Gave up a car 20 years ago, use public transport whenever I cannot walk etc. regardless of having a hip replacement.

And this film, as I mentioned in the past and I still tell anyone who is willing to listen - "Koyaanisqatsi," which was rightly selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, should be made compulsory viewing to all children at secondary school.

ETA: And adults too

Last edited by Belgian thought; 18th July 2017 at 05:09 PM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:34 PM   #101
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
You are still off by a factor of 10. Should be 15,000 - 205,000.
Crappe! Which isn't where the calories I'm currently consuming will go. Some I will exhale. The rest will make my pants tighter.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:59 PM   #102
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Simple, charge the 4 7 8 breathing punters so much, they can't afford to buy food.
I think I've seen a similar tactic before, but it wasn't unaffordable, exactly...

I AGREE
Old 18th July 2017, 06:34 PM   #103
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Crappe! Which isn't where the calories I'm currently consuming will go. Some I will exhale. The rest will make my pants tighter.
Face it - you are fat .
Old 18th July 2017, 06:51 PM   #104
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Face it - you are fat .
Happily, not as far as I was two years ago.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:13 AM   #105
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Tattletale!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology