ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Nicolas Maduro , Venezuela economy , Venezuela issues , Venezuela politics

Old 16th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #721
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I am unclear as to the motivation of your post, CE: are you trying to get out ahead of the "Russians influenced the Venezuelan election" meme or not?

Meme? What meme? My google news tells me there's an NPR item, Deutsche Welle has one, TeleSUR of course, Prensa Latina and that's it for the "news" about "venezuela regional elections". Likely without my posts many readers here wouldn't even know that that strange dictatorship is voting again, using the best electorial system in the world according to Jimmy Carter, an actual constitutional branch of the "regime". Would you?
Old 16th October 2017, 07:39 PM   #722
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Meme? What meme? My google news
I'll give it 48 hours and check back with various news organs from all over the world and see. No, RT won't be one of them.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 08:09 PM   #723
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I'll give it 48 hours and check back with various news organs from all over the world and see. No, RT won't be one of them.

I take that as a no. "Thank you for educating us, Empress". That's a good boy.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #724
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I take that as a no. "Thank you for educating us, Empress". That's a good boy.
Because your idea of "education" is to plug your brain into one of the many Russian government outlets and get the latest update on what the party line is.

Also, regardless of the results of this election, the people of Venezuela still don't have enough to eat. If you care about the lives of real people, you might be concerned that Venezuela will double-down on the same policies that created their problems.

Last edited by Mycroft; Yesterday at 04:45 PM.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #725
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Because your idea of "education" is to plug your brain into one of the many Russian government outlets and get the latest update on what the party line is.

Also, regardless of the results of this election, the people of Venezuela still don't have enough to eat. If you care about the lives of real people, you might be concerned that Venezuela will double-down on the same policies that created their problems.
"The people he has chosen must suffer through slavery and mistreatment for centuries before God will deliver them to the land he promised."
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #726
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

@LSSBB that's the first time I've seen Venezuela referred to as the promised land, but according to friends who have been there on business, there is much natural beauty there.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #727
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

@LSSBB that's the first time I've seen Venezuela referred to as the promised land, but according to friends who have been there on business, there is much natural beauty there.
I'm pretty sure his figurative "promised land" is the utopia that would emerge if Marxist principles were applied correctly. You know, after enough people have died from the war and famine it creates so that humankind is cleansed of all those selfish impulses that get in the way.

I had a similar exchange earlier this week from a Marxist who proclaimed that China turned out pretty well, dismissing the tens of millions who died from the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution as being a mistake of trial and error. No amount of carnage is enough to deter a true believer from doubling down on the same principles...so long as it's someone else starving or being sent to the re-education camps.
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #728
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Author of above VA article Lucas Koerner on The Real News putting the MUD slinging into perspective:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #729
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Also, regardless of the results of this election, the people of Venezuela still don't have enough to eat.

Old Today, 09:16 PM   #730
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Laughing at starvation. Wow.

Several of his cavernous henhouses sit empty because, Escobar said, he can’t afford to buy more chicks or feed. Government price controls have made his business unprofitable, and armed gangs have been squeezing him for extortion payments and stealing his eggs.

Venezuela’s latest public health indicators confirm that the country is facing a dietary calamity. With medicines scarce and malnutrition cases soaring, more than 11,000 babies died last year, sending the infant mortality rate up 30 percent, according to Venezuela’s Health Ministry. The head of the ministry was fired by President Nicolás Maduro two days after she released those statistics.

Child hunger in parts of Venezuela is a “humanitarian crisis,” according to a new report by the Catholic relief organization Caritas, which found 11.4 percent of children under age 5 suffering from moderate to severe malnutrition, and 48 percent “at risk” of going hungry.
Old Today, 10:04 PM   #731
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Laughing at starvation. Wow.

We all know the data showing what poverty was in Venezuela when the people you want to run the country were in power, compared to what it is now. Nobody needs your Washington Pest propaganda, and nobody believes you give a flying **** about the well-being of the Venezuelan people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics