IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2022, 08:38 PM   #281
llwyd
Graduate Poster

I quite believed in Erich von Däniken's "theories" when I was around 11-13 years old.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 12:32 AM   #282
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Sounds like Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series.
Though with the alliances reversed.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:12 AM   #283
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I believed the Doolittle raid on Tokyo was a huge success. Since then I have learned that most of the bombs fell off-target, they hit a school thinking it was a factory, and 14 of the 16 B-25 bombers ditched or crashed. The bits that worked: A blow to Japanese morale, A propaganda boost for the USA, and expertise in carrier-based bombers gained.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:44 AM   #284
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds like a huge success to me.
Old 20th June 2022, 07:07 AM   #285
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That sounds like a huge success to me.
It's the huge number of Chinese people killed in the resulting operations to try to capture the air crews that takes the shine off it for me.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 07:51 AM   #286
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I quite believed in Erich von Däniken's "theories" when I was around 11-13 years old.
So did I. I then learned some basic Archaeology and realized I had been duped.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 08:53 AM   #287
ahhell
Illuminator

I almost bought into holy blood holy grail in the late 90s.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:56 PM   #288
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I believed the Doolittle raid on Tokyo was a huge success. Since then I have learned that most of the bombs fell off-target, they hit a school thinking it was a factory, and 14 of the 16 B-25 bombers ditched or crashed. The bits that worked: A blow to Japanese morale, A propaganda boost for the USA, and expertise in carrier-based bombers gained.
That was it's entire purpose, in that respect it was a complete success.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 01:14 AM   #289
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
That was it's entire purpose, in that respect it was a complete success.
I'm not sure that's true. I believe part of the plan was for the aircraft involved to land in China to form the nucleus of a US bomber group based there, but because of the, sighting of the task force they launched out of range of the destination and were mostly forced to crash-land or ditch.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:12 PM   #290
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, the US Military knew well that they would do little or no damage to Japanese facilities even if the bombs were on target.
But giving a boost to Public Morale, which was very low in April of 1942, was the main reason behind the raid. In that regard i was a big sucess.
It also caused Japan to recall some units from their island bases to protect the Homeland, and swung opinion around to approve Yamamoto's Midway operation as necessary to protect the Japanese mainland.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts