IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th February 2022, 11:56 PM   #721
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

NO! To the pain.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2022, 01:51 AM   #722
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Six months they've been sitting on the ticket. If a particular utility is submitted in a job class that doesn't allow enough CPU time to complete the task then the job will fail, but not terminate. If it happens in a standalone job it's annoying, in a batch suite it becomes a much bigger problem.

They kept asking me to try things. I try them and post the response ("no change," so far). Wondering why they hadn't done so in the first place, I asked, "why can't you recreate this problem yourselves?" They did a fortnight ago. No sign of any further movement.

It caught me out again this morning. At about 0300. Luckily, I was fixing a test system and not Live.

I've just checked their share price. They're not going to be chucking money about to solve the abysmal service
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2022, 07:13 AM   #723
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

It's a scary time and at 0200 on Saturday morning I did find myself thinking, as I tried to fix a problem in a test system caused by other people's inattention, "this all seems a bit pointless." Setting jobs running to sort and cleanse data, then doom-scrolling on Twitter until they finished...
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2022, 07:13 AM   #724
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 27th February 2022, 12:12 PM   #725
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
What? A bare link to a Google search with no commentary is utterly pointless. I did the same search on DDG and it looks like the Kyndryl share price has been holding steady.

Also, are you not aware that Google gives different results for different people?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2022, 02:32 PM   #726
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Mainframe dinosaur, ain't i
Old 27th February 2022, 02:49 PM   #727
Wudang
BOFH

Remember how long the dinosaurs survived.
Old 27th February 2022, 09:56 PM   #728
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

I was lucky to survive last week. This week, "it cannot go on like this"
Old 27th February 2022, 09:58 PM   #729
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

I was lucky to survive last week. Today, "it cannot go on like this"
Old 28th February 2022, 02:01 PM   #730
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
I was lucky to survive last week. Today, "it cannot go on like this"
Uh, you okay there, buddy?
Old 1st March 2022, 03:46 AM   #731
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Yes, ta, but we are not "taking the time to consider what went on and learn lessons," so the cv, some say resume, will be polished and circulated

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Old 1st March 2022, 11:54 AM   #732
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: don't specify a stupid date format in your request. Because if you don't specify one I will give you a nice date that can be formatted neatly by Excel and you can then do things with it. If you do specify one and it's not one Excel likes to use as a date format, I have to make it into a damn string. Good luck doing anything date-related with strings! You are on your own with that.
Old 1st March 2022, 12:55 PM   #733
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A LOWER CASE L AND A CAPITAL I SHOULDN'T LOOK IDENTICAL IN ANY SYSTEM FONT! THANK YOU!
Old 1st March 2022, 01:02 PM   #734
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
A LOWER CASE L AND A CAPITAL I SHOULDN'T LOOK IDENTICAL IN ANY SYSTEM FONT! THANK YOU!
And they both appear next to the numeral 1.
Old 1st March 2022, 01:02 PM   #735
Wudang
BOFH

GOD DAMN IT YES! A THOUSAND TIMES. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL! AND NOR SHOULD A NUMERIC 1.

Dedicated to every blasted user who sent me screen shots of system names and other strings that can be composed of all 3.
Old 1st March 2022, 01:05 PM   #736
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I now have to go, well not apologize but help and "smooth out" so to speak a very nice but very important brand new physician hire with the last that should but doesn't start with an I.

Half the poor guy's accounts start with an I, the other half with L.
Old 1st March 2022, 01:20 PM   #737
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I now have to go, well not apologize but help and "smooth out" so to speak a very nice but very important brand new physician hire with the last that should but doesn't start with an I.

Half the poor guy's accounts start with an I, the other half with L.
"You know who's cool? Captain Picard. Let's just put you into the system as Dr. Picard. That would solve everything. And it's not that expensive to legally change your name. Welcome aboard, Dr. Picard! Make it so!"

They say they want "outside the box" solutions, but when you actually come up with one suddenly it's back to traditional thinking.
Old 1st March 2022, 01:46 PM   #738
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
GOD DAMN IT YES! A THOUSAND TIMES. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL! AND NOR SHOULD A NUMERIC 1.

Dedicated to every blasted user who sent me screen shots of system names and other strings that can be composed of all 3.

May they all burn in hell, or is it heII. Let's not forget zero and capital "O". While zero can just look like "O" on a diet these days. Whatever happened to the zero with the slash trough it so you knew, skinny or not, it was a zero? A potential tool designation around here "Il01IO1" (and they ain't in binary).

Last edited by The Man; 1st March 2022 at 01:48 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 02:41 PM   #739
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I am just old enough (unlike most of you) to remember when typewriters did not have a "1" or "0" key. You were supposed to use "l" and "O". And who says there's no progress?
Old 1st March 2022, 04:12 PM   #740
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Dear User: don't specify a stupid date format in your request. Because if you don't specify one I will give you a nice date that can be formatted neatly by Excel and you can then do things with it. If you do specify one and it's not one Excel likes to use as a date format, I have to make it into a damn string. Good luck doing anything date-related with strings! You are on your own with that.
I thought Excel had the ability to store a date in an internal format it recognised as a date but could display it according to a pattern specified by the user.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 04:19 PM   #741
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Your password is lIll11li|/lIl
Old 1st March 2022, 04:53 PM   #742
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I thought Excel had the ability to store a date in an internal format it recognised as a date but could display it according to a pattern specified by the user.
It does, if it can recognize a given piece of data as a date. But if I'm told to format the date in a way Excel doesn't handle then that means I have to do so before it gets to Excel, and it ends up as a string which Excel, not recognizing as a date, can't treat it like one.
Old 1st March 2022, 06:06 PM   #743
Yalius
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How did you get ahold of my wifi password?
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 07:27 PM   #744
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
May they all burn in hell, or is it heII. Let's not forget zero and capital "O". While zero can just look like "O" on a diet these days. Whatever happened to the zero with the slash trough it so you knew, skinny or not, it was a zero? A potential tool designation around here "Il01IO1" (and they ain't in binary).
I was fond of the DOS font that had a vertical stripe in the 0. Not sure why that one caught my eye so much.

https://www.fontriver.com/font/perfect_dos_vga_437/

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 08:49 PM   #745
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I am just old enough (unlike most of you) to remember when typewriters did not have a "1" or "0" key. You were supposed to use "l" and "O". And who says there's no progress?
Who are you, and how did you read my mind about what I was about to post?
Old 1st March 2022, 09:29 PM   #746
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Who are you, and how did you read my mind about what I was about to post?
I'm not telling! (And I typed the "!" by typing a ".", backspacing, and then typing a "'" over it). You have no idea about how much I love technology . . . or do you?
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:40 AM   #747
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not telling! (And I typed the "!" by typing a ".", backspacing, and then typing a "'" over it). You have no idea about how much I love technology . . . or do you?
In some systems, a backspace is a legitimate character... Think about that for password situations.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 02:03 AM   #748
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Back in '99 Ii1 was running part of a deployment project and one of the team did that for 'special' users because the support aspect has bee outsourced elsewhere.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 02:07 AM   #749
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
In some systems, a backspace is a legitimate character... Think about that for password situations.

Ah, the old days of the PDP8...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 04:16 AM   #750
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Most of my programming life, I wrote zeroes with a diagonal slash through them; however, there was a short period where I worked at a place that had the opposite convention. Programs were handwritten on pre-printed forms (depending on the program format), and converted to punched cards by a room full of women, each sitting at a desk-sized punch card machine. The convention to avoid ambiguity there was to write the 'O' with a stroke across the middle (like a lowercase theta).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 04:20 AM   #751
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I'm in the process of clearing out my mum's house, and one of the items is my dad's old portable Olivetti typewriter (which I very much remember him using), which has no 1 or 0 keys. He did later get an electric typewriter, which I think had separate keys for those, but I can't check since it didn't last like his portable has (I'm pretty sure it would work if I put a new ribbon in).
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 04:39 AM   #752
Wudang
BOFH

I do remember having to deal with clerical staff who couldn't logon because "oh I just type an "l" instead of "1"."

The worst was in 1985? when I was a mainframe (CICS sysprog) guy and ops called that a staff member had just been given access to the CICS system that produced management newsletters. Logon failed. Security guys could see no problem. Anyway tl;dr after everything else and 2 hours we have ops, the user, me and a colleague in a call with all sorts of trace running.
Ops "Ok what's on your screen?"
User identifies the panel with a menu of all the systems names mainly the xxxVMn office systems running PROFS office systems on VM/CMS
Ops "OK type 'CICS' and hit enter"
User "What?"
Ops repeats
User "Oh no I just type NHBVM1 and that gets me on the computer"
Me and my colleague hung up and left for a liquid lunch.
Moral: if someone tells you they know stuff because they worked for IBM/whoever for X years take it with a massive pinch of salt.
Old 2nd March 2022, 04:41 AM   #753
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"You know who's cool? Captain Picard. Let's just put you into the system as Dr. Picard. That would solve everything. And it's not that expensive to legally change your name. Welcome aboard, Dr. Picard! Make it so!"

They say they want "outside the box" solutions, but when you actually come up with one suddenly it's back to traditional thinking.
At my place it's now Out Of The Box. You can't win.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 04:42 AM   #754
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

IBM had the answer to that and everyone just ignored it.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:02 AM   #755
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

ISTR at least one system I worked on where pressing the backspace key typed a character and moved the printhead to the right. Thinking a bit harder maybe it was a paper tape system where you could not reverse the medium. Chuggy, chuggy, ting, ting, ting.
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:42 AM   #756
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I'm still not entirely sure what the last two characters of member psionl0's name are.
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:47 AM   #757
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

(More general "Office Work" related than IT, but doesn't need it's own thread.)

Good morning.

If you've ever been speaking to a group, especially early in the morning, and did the whole "Is everybody ready? Oh come on you can do better than that I said is everybody ready?" routine or any version thereof I just want you to know that you, yes you personally and directly with all the offense intended, are a horrible human being and in any decently run society we'd get to watch you get eaten by lions in an arena. Thank you.
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:23 AM   #758
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

(More general "Office Work" related than IT, but doesn't need it's own thread.)

Good morning.

If you've ever been speaking to a group, especially early in the morning, and did the whole "Is everybody ready? Oh come on you can do better than that I said is everybody ready?" routine or any version thereof I just want you to know that you, yes you personally and directly with all the offense intended, are a horrible human being and in any decently run society we'd get to watch you get eaten by lions in an arena. Thank you.
At the very least such early morning assemblies should come with coffee and food, which the participants get to before the talking starts. That makes everything more tolerable. There is a world of difference between a 6:45 a.m. work meeting and a 6:45 a.m. work meeting with a free bagel or danish.
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:54 AM   #759
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And now I have to explain to somebody that weeks don't fit evenly into months so yes, if we report totals monthly and weekly they will not match up neatly.

He's going to be really surprised when he finds out that months don't all have the same number of days in them!
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:59 PM   #760
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I'm still not entirely sure what the last two characters of member psionl0's name are.
I selected and copied his name from my browser and put it into a text editor that I've configured to use a font that unambiguously differentiates between various characters.

Lower-case "L" and a zero

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet