IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 10th March 2022, 06:56 PM   #801
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
I can't watch The IT Crowd for the same reason.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 08:41 PM   #802
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 12,005
Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
The acronyms and names used in this video are smack dab on. I get the feeling that it's supposed to be an "over the top" parody, but it's close to documentary. Sort of the same feeling I get watching "King of the Hill". Those are normal neighbors on that show.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
They forgot the bits about version upgrades, firewalls, and relevant staff being on leave.

But otherwise, just transcribe this and put in the Meetings Notes page on our wiki.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 11:57 PM   #803
BowlOfRed
Master Poster
 
BowlOfRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,172
My office is finally back to a significant opening (still not required to go in, but most services are open). Went in today and there's a lot of folks in the cafe, but almost no one in my office area.

I forgot how to run the office phones for meetings. At home I just use the local mute button. But in the office there's a keypad mute as well. I forgot...
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2022, 09:17 AM   #804
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,785
Dear User,

If you stopped receiving [specific type of medical file] last Wednesday, but didn't tell anyone until 4:30 yesterday, no you have not been "Waiting a week for IT to address this issue."
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2022, 10:01 AM   #805
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,514
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dear User,

If you stopped receiving [specific type of medical file] last Wednesday, but didn't tell anyone until 4:30 yesterday, no you have not been "Waiting a week for IT to address this issue."
I once received an urgent priority one ticket for the failure of a data feed that they just noticed had stopped sending data two years prior. I received permission to tell them the fix was in the works when we replace the system in just three more years.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2022, 01:17 PM   #806
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 44,460
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I once received an urgent priority one ticket for the failure of a data feed that they just noticed had stopped sending data two years prior. I received permission to tell them the fix was in the works when we replace the system in just three more years.

The more powerful and faster the CPUs get, the slower the adminsitration gets. Uniques' Paradox.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 03:33 AM   #807
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The more powerful and faster the CPUs get, the slower the adminsitration gets. Uniques' Paradox.
I think it's more that it throws the slowness of administration into sharp relief
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 05:08 AM   #808
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I think it's more that it throws the slowness of administration into sharp relief
Oh yes. Working for a major bank a few years back a lot of teams were going Agile and trying devops etc and it was going great. Until we got near production systems where we were stuck with a process intended for mainframes of many years ago. Nothing against mainframes - I wrote a ton of stuff to streamline deployment of code and data to the UAT systems which was never allowed near prod. A large part of that was because a lot of ITIL Service Delivery people didn't really get computers. Maybe they tweak some JCL etc but they really just knew how to run processes in the manner of their fathers and their fathers' fathers back to when some civil servant said to Babbage "We should try to do this neatly".

The teams supporting trading (which moves very fast) got the backing of their senior management to go full devops and basically tell service delivery to sod off and the dead hand of IT Security to mind their own business. Again, security is vital but it needs to adapt to the needs of the business. </rant>
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2022, 02:12 PM   #809
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 44,460
There is a real cyberwar out there. Security has to be of paramount concern. You can guarantee that banks being tested 24 hours a day.


The other problem with going Agile is the difficulty of merging large changes from different teams working in parallel.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2022, 03:06 AM   #810
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
There is a real cyberwar out there. Security has to be of paramount concern. You can guarantee that banks being tested 24 hours a day.
Yes, which means that IT Security needs to understand the business. I used to be a pentester for IBM in the 80's, helped design the RACF security model for an IBM product and left the bank to work with NHS data where security is even more critical. The NHS model is pragmatic and focused and carries swinging penalties. I tried working with IT Security and the bank and got some changes made to the DB security model and I swore never to do it again. Painful and because of the layers of isolation between me and the DB security "expert" the solution they came up with was effectively unworkable. In contrast at IBM when we were being humped by corporate audit we phoned the guy who wrote the security guidelines, explained why we did what we did and he changed the manual to reflect what we did.

Quote:

The other problem with going Agile is the difficulty of merging large changes from different teams working in parallel.
Nah, just adhere to contracts via interfaces, use dependency injection and identify cross cutting concerns and manage them. Sloppy practices are sloppy practices whether agile or waterfall.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2022, 04:27 AM   #811
malbui
Beauf
 
malbui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,316
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Sloppy practices are sloppy practices whether agile or waterfall.
The other day I sat in an ITSC meeting where the head of our development team presented the results of a quality review performed three years after the organisation formally moved onto Agile as its preferred approach.

The results: all the same mistakes, but made faster and more independently.
__________________
"But Master! Does not the fire need water too? Does not the mountain need the storm? Does not your scrotum need kicking?"
malbui is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2022, 05:21 AM   #812
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Originally Posted by malbui View Post
The other day I sat in an ITSC meeting where the head of our development team presented the results of a quality review performed three years after the organisation formally moved onto Agile as its preferred approach.

The results: all the same mistakes, but made faster and more independently.
Yep. An unfortunately macho analogy I sometimes use is comparing waterfall and old coding shops to Napoleonic infantry. Lined up in rows, told when to step, when to load, when to fire, no idea of big picture. Agile is more like say USMC doctrine where every soldier knows the intended result, they move independently but together to achieve it, improvise adapt overcome yada yada. You can't just take a Napoleonic era rifleman and drop him in a USMC platoon and expect him to function. You need training, tools, mutual understanding etc.
This also unfortunately sounds insulting to the waterfall programmer. I've dealt with a few teams that had programmers handed specs, inputs, outputs etc and they wrote good code and so forth but they'd need a lot of time to adapt to agile.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2022, 08:10 AM   #813
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator
 
Filippo Lippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,949
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Yep. An unfortunately macho analogy I sometimes use is comparing waterfall and old coding shops to Napoleonic infantry. Lined up in rows, told when to step, when to load, when to fire, no idea of big picture. Agile is more like say USMC doctrine where every soldier knows the intended result, they move independently but together to achieve it, improvise adapt overcome yada yada. You can't just take a Napoleonic era rifleman and drop him in a USMC platoon and expect him to function. You need training, tools, mutual understanding etc.
This also unfortunately sounds insulting to the waterfall programmer. I've dealt with a few teams that had programmers handed specs, inputs, outputs etc and they wrote good code and so forth but they'd need a lot of time to adapt to agile.
Nicking this
__________________
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:46 PM   #814
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,514
Them: "What's the difference between the department report and the resource report?"
Me: "The department report displays the data by department. The resource report displays the data by resource."
Them: "Thanks!"

I can't wait until they ask what the difference is between the March report and the April report. The answer will blow their mind!
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 02:49 PM   #815
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Confusing names obviously. Try renaming as the 27b/6 and TLA(x2). Unless Elon Musk has used them as kids names.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 06:41 AM   #816
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,785
This another one that's more of a general office complaint, but does tie back into the "I'm the IT guy, not the generic everything with a computer/electricity/everything" guy.

So this morning when I came in, did my normal rounds to make sure there were no immediate fires, literal or metaphorical, to put out I swung by the breakroom to grab a cup of coffee so I could sit down and start going through my ticket queue for the day. The vending machines sit right outside the breakroom and there was a guy there with the machine open doing work on it. Well I went into the breakroom, poured myself a cup of coffee, and made some generic smalltalk with a few of employees, and left.

Here is where it got a little weird. The vending machine guy let 4-5 of the actual of the employees of the business just walk past him, then stopped me. And like sorta aggressively, like stepping into my path. So like it obvious he looked at the crowd of people coming out of the breakroom and singled me out. And then proceeded to talk... again sort of not rudely or aggressively but that tone is just one step below it in that vague tone that's part rant, part frustration, part "let it out" stream of consciousness and just a hint of accusation about how if there was a bottle stuck in the slot (it's one of those glass front drink machines that has the little mechanical arm-thing) to stop buying sodas and not just keep buying them so they pile up and then he went on, again in this weird unbroken stream of consciousness ramble that was just a hair on the side of not full on angry.

And everything was like that, just barely on the socially acceptable side. He wasn't in my face, but he wasn't like totally not in it either, right there just a little bit inside what a reasonable personal space bubble for a conversation in an office would be. He wasn't like puffing his chest out and squaring off, but it he wasn't like totally not doing that either, he certainly was "projecting" in his body language if that makes any sense. Nothing crossed any lines so that any real warning bells started going off, but everything was just a little off. Just a tiny, tad bit more aggressive then it really needed to be.

I sort of just blew him off with a mumbled "Okay" because I was not awake enough to really deal with this and had **** to do, but it was just weird. I'm just so confused as to what made me be the guy who he just zeroed in on to halfway angrily data dump this too.

Do IT guys just put off some vibe?
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 07:54 AM   #817
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,514
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This another one that's more of a general office complaint, but does tie back into the "I'm the IT guy, not the generic everything with a computer/electricity/everything" guy.

So this morning when I came in, did my normal rounds to make sure there were no immediate fires, literal or metaphorical, to put out I swung by the breakroom to grab a cup of coffee so I could sit down and start going through my ticket queue for the day. The vending machines sit right outside the breakroom and there was a guy there with the machine open doing work on it. Well I went into the breakroom, poured myself a cup of coffee, and made some generic smalltalk with a few of employees, and left.

Here is where it got a little weird. The vending machine guy let 4-5 of the actual of the employees of the business just walk past him, then stopped me. And like sorta aggressively, like stepping into my path. So like it obvious he looked at the crowd of people coming out of the breakroom and singled me out. And then proceeded to talk... again sort of not rudely or aggressively but that tone is just one step below it in that vague tone that's part rant, part frustration, part "let it out" stream of consciousness and just a hint of accusation about how if there was a bottle stuck in the slot (it's one of those glass front drink machines that has the little mechanical arm-thing) to stop buying sodas and not just keep buying them so they pile up and then he went on, again in this weird unbroken stream of consciousness ramble that was just a hair on the side of not full on angry.

And everything was like that, just barely on the socially acceptable side. He wasn't in my face, but he wasn't like totally not in it either, right there just a little bit inside what a reasonable personal space bubble for a conversation in an office would be. He wasn't like puffing his chest out and squaring off, but it he wasn't like totally not doing that either, he certainly was "projecting" in his body language if that makes any sense. Nothing crossed any lines so that any real warning bells started going off, but everything was just a little off. Just a tiny, tad bit more aggressive then it really needed to be.

I sort of just blew him off with a mumbled "Okay" because I was not awake enough to really deal with this and had **** to do, but it was just weird. I'm just so confused as to what made me be the guy who he just zeroed in on to halfway angrily data dump this too.

Do IT guys just put off some vibe?
Perhaps he mistook you for the person in charge? Were you dressed fancier than the others? Do you carry an attitude of authority? Do you have a stern but noble face with wisdom in the lines of your forehead and jutting brows bushy with experience and a mighty nose like the prow of a ship cutting its way through an ocean of life that parts before your personal greatness of spirit? Or maybe you give off a deeply sexy vibe and this vendingman is simply awkward at flirtation?
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:25 AM   #818
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Perhaps he saw the herd of users doubtless chattering away about "how their diet was going so well and then they thought should I be really naughty and have a breadstick and I shouldn't really but then I did and then my diet was broken and so I thought I might as well have the mega chocolate surprise pork pie cake with double ice cream and candy coated lard and " and saw you on your own cut away from the herd and pounced.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 06:54 PM   #819
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
OMG it's actually happened. They've locked down the browsers. Now you can't save sessions and reopen the tabs you were last using. Since I routinely work with about a dozen tabs this means that I have to manually open each one at the beginning of the day.

They've also prevented storing passwords. Essentially forcing everybody to work without any kind of automated password management - every password has to be manually entered every time. And this is a whole-of-government thing too. I don't think anyone who makes these decisions realises how breathtakingly stupid it is.

My life just became a little more annoying, but I'll work with it. I have no choice.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 07:34 PM   #820
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 12,005
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
OMG it's actually happened. They've locked down the browsers. Now you can't save sessions and reopen the tabs you were last using. Since I routinely work with about a dozen tabs this means that I have to manually open each one at the beginning of the day.

They've also prevented storing passwords. Essentially forcing everybody to work without any kind of automated password management - every password has to be manually entered every time. And this is a whole-of-government thing too. I don't think anyone who makes these decisions realises how breathtakingly stupid it is.

My life just became a little more annoying, but I'll work with it. I have no choice.
OK, which senior exec left their laptop in a taxi with their browser open to porn or a secure URL, and no password set? Make EVERYBODY pay!

Oh, just a sec. Election announcement due shortly, isn't it.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 08:25 PM   #821
BowlOfRed
Master Poster
 
BowlOfRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
OK, which senior exec left their laptop in a taxi with their browser open to porn or a secure URL, and no password set? Make EVERYBODY pay!
Very possible, but my vote is on a Mordac.

Ooo, it's possible to lock everything down like that? That would be more secure, wouldn't it? Make it happen!
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 09:23 PM   #822
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Oh, just a sec. Election announcement due shortly, isn't it.
Nah, this has been coming for a long time.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 10:54 PM   #823
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Can you save the URLs as desktop shortcuts? Write a little cmd file calling iexplore or whatever Bing is called?
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 12:04 AM   #824
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
The nice thing is that this security update has restored my access to this forum. So no more Tapatalk for me.

I'm slowly finding workarounds for all the things that I can't do any more. Edge allows you to save a website as an app, and pin it to the taskbar. So I've done that for a number of sites that I use regularly, including this one. I will save my sessions and open tabs by simply not logging off in the evenings unless I absolutely have to. Windows is pretty stable for long periods these days, but I guess I'll see how it goes.

I have no workaround for the requirement to type my passwords constantly. I think this is by design. By forcing me to type my passwords constantly, they are effectively encouraging me (and everyone else) to make less secure, less complex passwords, and to re-use them on multiple sites. If they permitted Edge to store passwords, we could use better passwords. They're still protected by two-factor authentication because the entire desktop environment now has two-factor authentication. From a security standpoint, it just makes no damn sense.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 12:29 AM   #825
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 7,032
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
(snip)

They've also prevented storing passwords. Essentially forcing everybody to work without any kind of automated password management - every password has to be manually entered every time. And this is a whole-of-government thing too. I don't think anyone who makes these decisions realises how breathtakingly stupid it is.
Just create a file on the desktop called PASSWORDS.TXT, save your passwords there, and copy and paste them!

Seriously, you can't even use KeePass?
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 12:40 AM   #826
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Just create a file on the desktop called PASSWORDS.TXT, save your passwords there, and copy and paste them!

Seriously, you can't even use KeePass?
Nope. Absolutely no password managers of any kind. Period. Crazy, right?

And it's not just like they prohibited a whole lot of software and password managers just happened to be swept up in that. It was absolutely 100% deliberate and specific to disallow any kind of password management. There is a process for adding software to the Approved Software List. If I followed every step of that process correctly to request that KeePass be added to the ASL, my request would be denied on policy grounds.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:24 AM   #827
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Good grief. Even <major global bank> implemented a single signon tool on its locked down PCs back in 2010 or so.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:13 AM   #828
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 7,032
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Nope. Absolutely no password managers of any kind. Period. Crazy, right?
Really crazy, and as you said earlier, breathtakingly stupid. I can see this policy changing in a couple of years after a series of embarrassing data leaks caused by bad password management.

Quote:
And it's not just like they prohibited a whole lot of software and password managers just happened to be swept up in that. It was absolutely 100% deliberate and specific to disallow any kind of password management.
Did the Powers That Be give any reasoning for this, or is it some I/T bigwig on a power trip?


Quote:
There is a process for adding software to the Approved Software List. If I followed every step of that process correctly to request that KeePass be added to the ASL, my request would be denied on policy grounds.
Said policy being "No password management programs"?

Now, I can see password managers being a point of failure if Mr. Skroob in accounting secures his with "12345." However, I looked up how KeePass works, and it's possible to install it on a network drive and point it to a configuration file that can't be bypassed. There is an option available that enforces minimum properties on the master key, so that wouldn't be a problem.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:14 AM   #829
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,514
You can change programs but you can't change humans. The more frequently the passwords are forced to be changed, and the more of them you have to have, the greater the incidence of sticky-notes with the password written on it, stuck right to the monitors.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:21 AM   #830
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You can change programs but you can't change humans. The more frequently the passwords are forced to be changed, and the more of them you have to have, the greater the incidence of sticky-notes with the password written on it, stuck right to the monitors.
And the more variety in password rules.

supersecret
Needs capital letter
SUPERSECRET
Needs lower case letter
Supersecret
Needs numeric
Supersecret1
Needs special character
Supersecret@
'@' is not a valid special character.
The last one seems the most capricious.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:28 AM   #831
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,785
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Good grief. Even <major global bank> implemented a single signon tool on its locked down PCs back in 2010 or so.
I have over 30 users (out of roughly 500-ish) who don't own a smart device (or at least claim not to.) I have at least as many who don't have a PC at home.

And 90% of my user base as I have frequently mentioned are self described "widdle ole' ladies who just aren't good with these newfangled, what did you call them, computer things." not as an actual lack of skill as a personality trait.

My security is a shameful nightmare and I'm aware of it but we as an organization have tried to force any kind of change multiple times and it just won't happen.

The best we can do is get everything in writing and keep our butts covered.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:44 AM   #832
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,514
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
And the more variety in password rules.

supersecret
Needs capital letter
SUPERSECRET
Needs lower case letter
Supersecret
Needs numeric
Supersecret1
Needs special character
Supersecret@
'@' is not a valid special character.
The last one seems the most capricious.
I had to get my mother a little book specifically designed for writing down all your passwords. There were simply too many for a lady pushing 80 to handle. (She also instinctively ignores punctuation so even when I write down a password for her "1914KittyCat!" she leaves off the exclamation point because she thought I was just being emphatic. And capitalization...she thinks it matters in email addresses but not in passwords and logins.)
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:50 AM   #833
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
My security is a shameful nightmare and I'm aware of it but we as an organization have tried to force any kind of change multiple times and it just won't happen.
Of course, when I worked for <major global bank> we scrupulously kept to all the rules. Although this guy I know worked for a bank and it seems it was sometimes a choice between having an effective security policy for some systems or obeying the rules.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 07:36 PM   #834
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Good grief. Even <major global bank> implemented a single signon tool on its locked down PCs back in 2010 or so.
Yeah, most things are SSO. Our department has gone full Office 365/Azure Cloud and in general that means that most of the tools most users will need are synchronised. But here in Technical Services, we have a bunch of tools that aren't in that cloud. And they need separate signons. And of course it affects everything that is internet based, which a bunch of staff have legitimate reasons to use.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Really crazy, and as you said earlier, breathtakingly stupid. I can see this policy changing in a couple of years after a series of embarrassing data leaks caused by bad password management.
Yeah, me too.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Did the Powers That Be give any reasoning for this, or is it some I/T bigwig on a power trip?
It's actually in line with an all-of-government plan to modernise technology and harden government networks against cybersecurity threats, so it's coming from the highest levels of government. There was a pretty high-profile cyberattack on government systems a few years ago, and I think that triggered a major review.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Said policy being "No password management programs"?
Explicitly, yes.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Now, I can see password managers being a point of failure if Mr. Skroob in accounting secures his with "12345." However, I looked up how KeePass works, and it's possible to install it on a network drive and point it to a configuration file that can't be bypassed. There is an option available that enforces minimum properties on the master key, so that wouldn't be a problem.
KeePass, LastPass and others have enterprise versions of their software that allow them to be deployed for an entire organisation. The thing is, Azure Cloud already has an equivalent service, equally as secure and functional as any other password manager. It has been disabled.

Even with as little knowledge about cybersecurity practice that I have, it's easy to see how this could go horribly wrong.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 08:11 PM   #835
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 44,460
Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Very possible, but my vote is on a Mordac.



Ooo, it's possible to lock everything down like that? That would be more secure, wouldn't it? Make it happen!
I'm going to have even more post-it notes next to my monitor now.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 10:40 PM   #836
BowlOfRed
Master Poster
 
BowlOfRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,172
Speculation is that part of the OKTA (which my company uses heavily) incident involved the attackers finding a spreadsheet that had passwords in it, dumped from someone's lastpass and stored on a machine.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:06 PM   #837
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 77,486
Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Speculation is that part of the OKTA (which my company uses heavily) incident involved the attackers finding a spreadsheet that had passwords in it, dumped from someone's lastpass and stored on a machine.
Pretty sure no password manager stores passwords in a way that can be dumped as clear text.
__________________
This is Australia. It's possible to start a fire with a lukewarm audience reaction to your standup routine.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:15 PM   #838
BowlOfRed
Master Poster
 
BowlOfRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Pretty sure no password manager stores passwords in a way that can be dumped as clear text.
Why not? The thing has to have access to the full password so it can be sent on. It can't just store a hash locally since it's not the entity doing the final authentication.

Looks like lastpass can disable the option if you're on a business account, but it is available otherwise.

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastp...neric-csv-file


ETA:
Sorry. In case I wasn't clear, I didn't mean that the attackers found a lastpass store and extracted the passwords. I meant some lastpass user dumped the passwords and left them sitting around in plaintext (in a spreadsheet with "lastpass" as part of the name).

Last edited by BowlOfRed; 31st March 2022 at 11:19 PM.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 01:22 AM   #839
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 103,219
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Pretty sure no password manager stores passwords in a way that can be dumped as clear text.
No, but they all allow you to export them in various non-encrypted ways. Perhaps some body had wanted to stop paying a subscription so exported theirs as a CSV file and then loaded it into a spreadsheet.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 05:12 AM   #840
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 14,709
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah, most things are SSO. Our department has gone full Office 365/Azure Cloud and in general that means that most of the tools most users will need are synchronised. But here in Technical Services, we have a bunch of tools that aren't in that cloud. And they need separate signons. And of course it affects everything that is internet based, which a bunch of staff have legitimate reasons to use.
Ah the one big bank used allowed website ids and passwords to be stored. Whether the websites had to pre-approved or not I don't recall. That was for general users. I do remember we built a custom "portal" type tool, the service operations desk, for our operators which allowed saving of passwords for everything including servers, websites etc and had an interface (API I think) into what I think is now called Dell One Identity (was e-DMZ's Password Auto Repository) for root and other authorised ids temporary passwords.
__________________
"Your deepest pools, like your deepest politicians and philosophers, often turn out more shallow than expected." Walter Scott.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.