IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th May 2022, 12:52 PM   #1001
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Should that be "webpart is havening searching function"?
Only if it's a labtop.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 02:00 PM   #1002
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This job makes me so angry sometimes. I create a report for the highly specific needs of one group of people. It's very, very, very tailored to their specific purposes, each and every piece of logic debated among them and validated and documented to hell and back. So hurrah, finally it's done and I'm running it regularly and we'll call this one Report A.

Then someone wants to use Report A for something that doesn't quite work because A doesn't do what they want it to. So Report B is born, a variant of Report A that differs in all the ways necessary for this new and different purpose to work. Hurrah, now I have two reports to run regularly.

Now someone very high up (the highest, actually) has finally gotten into the loop and gets both reports for the first time. And now I have to explain why they "don't match". He thinks they should match. The whole point of having two is so they don't match, if they were supposed to match there would only ever have been one.

It's taxing my politeness skills to explain about apples vs oranges to the president of my company at 4 pm when I've been working without break since 7 am, haven't had a day off since New Years, and look likely to work through this weekend which is coincidentally both my own birthday and Mother's Day.
Old 4th May 2022, 03:27 PM   #1003
Wudang
BOFH

"Well sir both groups have me long lists of highly detailed requirements relating to their areas if expertise so I think the best thing is to ask them to compare their requirements and see where the discrepancies arise"?
Old 4th May 2022, 06:10 PM   #1004
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Should that be "webpart is havening searching function"?
It does look very much like a George ticket, yes.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:07 PM   #1005
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Okay, well this is one of the less informative incidents I've seen.

Short description:
webpart with searching function

Description:
webpart to be able sort records using buttons
To Subject Sent Size Categories
(someone's name) Inquiry about DIAD webinar page archive option [SEC=OFFICIAL] 21/03/2022 663 KB
Will this be the sort of thing you want?

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 07:16 AM   #1006
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Error message text you can't copy paste. WTF is with that?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 07:18 AM   #1007
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It seems "text you can't copy and paste" is become more and more common and it is super-frustrating.

I have one system that I don't directly control that routinely generates an error massage that can't be copy/pasted and the only options you have are to close out the error message and send a report to the company that makes the software.
Old 9th May 2022, 07:24 AM   #1008
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It seems "text you can't copy and paste" is become more and more common and it is super-frustrating.

I have one system that I don't directly control that routinely generates an error massage that can't be copy/pasted and the only options you have are to close out the error message and send a report to the company that makes the software.
Does it also block screen shot?

Yeah, I hate text you can't copy too. And there does seem to be more of it. It should be going the other way. I find it very frustrating that there isn't a windows search function that can search all text fields in a window or even across windows. And browser search that claim they found text but you still don't know where it is.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 07:26 AM   #1009
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Does it also block screen shot?
No but that's far more cumbersome and somewhat less useful for things like error codes or machine names or other long alphanumeric stuff that it would be so much easier to just copy and paste.
Old 9th May 2022, 07:56 AM   #1010
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Can anyone give me a hint as to why this is done? Is it to hide the failings of the writer of the software? Or just to annoy its users?
Old 9th May 2022, 08:01 AM   #1011
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Can anyone give me a hint as to why this is done? Is it to hide the failings of the writer of the software? Or just to annoy its users?
Basically laziness on the part of the coders. And not unreasonable laziness in all cases. Most underlying form frameworks have a concept of "labels" and "edit boxes". Edit boxes support full editing and cut and paste etc. Label's are display only and don't support cut and paste. The programmer would have to go out of their way to make labels support cut and paste and most don't.

It's basically something that wasn't thought out well 20 years ago.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 08:18 AM   #1012
Wudang
BOFH

At one point in time many versions ago, OneNote had a quite decent OCR built in. Sure it had problems but once you'd OCRed a screencap sent by some clueless user was just a matter of tweaking any important mistakes. My wife used it for business receipts as she could scan them, auto-OCRed then she could search them for "petrol" etc.
Old 9th May 2022, 10:54 AM   #1013
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Several days ago, I was watching something live on YouTube. In the chat window, someone said that she was watching on her phone because she "normally didn't carry her mainframe when she went out."

I suspect she meant laptop....
Old 9th May 2022, 11:40 AM   #1014
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Several days ago, I was watching something live on YouTube. In the chat window, someone said that she was watching on her phone because she "normally didn't carry her mainframe when she went out."

I suspect she meant laptop....
Oh. I don't know. ISTR the Z-80 instruction set was intended to mimic that of the /360.
Old 9th May 2022, 01:12 PM   #1015
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

I used to work in PC hardware repairs for a small computer manufacturing company. I'm used to people using computer jargon wrong or not knowing what it means, but it always astonished me how badly some of the tech support guys mangled computer terminology and opened up tickets that were less than helpful.

I remember one PC which was RTM'd and the ticket simply read "replace modem".

Usually there should just be a description of the problem so we can try and replicate it and then figure out what's wrong so we could fix it. In this case there was no model in the PC, so not only did I not know what the actual problem was that needed fixing, the suggested fix didn't make any sense.

So I got onto the tech support guy who'd taken the call and opened the ticket. Turns out that the customer was very unhappy about something so they'd agreed to replace his PC with a brand new one so he had arranged to return the "base unit" (as we called it) and have a brand new one sent out. Base unit was what we called the PC case and the guts inside it, is there an actual standard term for it?

This was a common problem. Tickets that discussed the processor, the hard drive, the memory, the modem, the CPU, etc. when they meant the base unit. "power button on CPU is broken" "DVD stuck in hard drive" "USB ports on front of modem don't work" etc.

One dude used to put just "replace motherboard" on most of his tickets before we had a word with his supervisor and had it explained to him that that's no use to us, we need an actual description of what's wrong.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 9th May 2022 at 01:16 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 01:13 PM   #1016
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

It was also fun to see the state of some of the computers that were returned for repair.

I once found a mouse that had died inside someone's PC and basically melted and fused to the CPU heatsink.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 03:39 PM   #1017
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
It was also fun to see the state of some of the computers that were returned for repair.

I once found a mouse that had died inside someone's PC and basically melted and fused to the CPU heatsink.
"Nincompooper! Mouse go on outside!"
Old 9th May 2022, 08:45 PM   #1018
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

At least you found the problem, the Engineer died!
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 02:23 AM   #1019
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Conversely: dear admins: there's a fine line between "security" and "dumb covering your ass at the user's expense." Asking that I must have a 20 character password*, including two large prime numbers, characters from old elvish script or demonic runes, and the entrails of a sacrificial goat, has nothing to do with security. In fact, it's the polar opposite of security. About 99% of humans, when asked to remember something like that, will do one or more of the following:
- reuse the hell out of it, because <bleep> remembering three dozen of THOSE abominations
- make it something trivial like their name and birthday
- tape it onto the monitor

That's not enforcing security. It's just so some dumbass in the IT department can say "not my fault" when (not if) something happens.

* Not even hyperbole. I literally just got complained at by a machine because my password wasn't 20 characters long. Literally.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 10th May 2022 at 02:26 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 02:29 AM   #1020
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Conversely: dear admins: there's a fine line between "security" and "dumb covering your ass at the user's expense." Asking that I must have a 20 character password*, including two large prime numbers, characters from old elvish script or demonic runes, and the entrails of a sacrificial goat, has nothing to do with security. In fact, it's the polar opposite of security. About 99% of humans, when asked to remember something like that, will do one or more of the following:
- reuse the hell out of it, because <bleep> remembering three dozen of THOSE abominations

That's not enforcing security. It's just so some dumbass in the IT department can say "not my fault" when (not if) something happens.

* Not even hyperbole. I literally just got complained at by a machine because my password wasn't 20 characters long. Literally.
"mypasswordismorethan20characterslong!"
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:27 AM   #1021
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
"mypasswordismorethan20characterslong!"
Sorry, must contain at least one upper case and one lower case letter.

"MyPasswordIsMoreThan20CharactersLong!"
Sorry, breaking up the password on uppercase characters reveals common English words. Please try again. (I've never seen this in real life.)

"mYpassworDiSmorEthaN20characterSlong!"
Sorry, you have only one special character and it's at the end of the password. Please try again. (I've never seen this in real life, either.)

"correct2horse@batterY!staple"
Sorry, but we read XKCD too. Please try again.

"mY@#$!passw0rDiSnorEthan20characterslong"
Accepted. Thank you.

(Did you notice I misspelled "morE" as "norE"? If that was an actual typo, I'd wouldn't be able to get in when I tried the password.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:44 AM   #1022
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
(Did you notice I misspelled "morE" as "norE"? If that was an actual typo, I'd wouldn't be able to get in when I tried the password.)
But also "too similar to a prior password" to correct it either.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:57 AM   #1023
catsmate
No longer the 1

I used to work in PC hardware repairs for a small computer manufacturing company. I'm used to people using computer jargon wrong or not knowing what it means, but it always astonished me how badly some of the tech support guys mangled computer terminology and opened up tickets that were less than helpful.

I remember one PC which was RTM'd and the ticket simply read "replace modem".

Usually there should just be a description of the problem so we can try and replicate it and then figure out what's wrong so we could fix it. In this case there was no model in the PC, so not only did I not know what the actual problem was that needed fixing, the suggested fix didn't make any sense.

So I got onto the tech support guy who'd taken the call and opened the ticket. Turns out that the customer was very unhappy about something so they'd agreed to replace his PC with a brand new one so he had arranged to return the "base unit" (as we called it) and have a brand new one sent out. Base unit was what we called the PC case and the guts inside it, is there an actual standard term for it?

This was a common problem. Tickets that discussed the processor, the hard drive, the memory, the modem, the CPU, etc. when they meant the base unit. "power button on CPU is broken" "DVD stuck in hard drive" "USB ports on front of modem don't work" etc.

One dude used to put just "replace motherboard" on most of his tickets before we had a word with his supervisor and had it explained to him that that's no use to us, we need an actual description of what's wrong.
System Unit was the preferred term in my day.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:59 AM   #1024
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post

Take a line of poetry at cetera and use that.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:49 PM   #1025
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Oh freddled gruntbuggly, / Thy micturations are to me
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:51 PM   #1026
Yalius
Muse

My go-to password method is, after 2 tries at making a realistic password, if the site still doesn't want to take a sensible password, I'll use "F***YouF***UF***ewe2!" and so far, never had a site reject that as a password.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 06:10 PM   #1027
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Garhhhh... Trying to get something done today, I opened an app I hadn't used for several days. For some reason it just. wasn't. working. I finally left it alone in disgust, only to come back later and found that Updates were ready for my computer.

Yes, I forgot it was Update Tuesday, and every laptop I've ever had (not Macs, never mind) has done this.
Old 10th May 2022, 07:38 PM   #1028
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

According to my clients it's the "hard drive".

They all have laptops now, so this doesn't come up as much.
Old 10th May 2022, 08:30 PM   #1029
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
My go-to password method is, after 2 tries at making a realistic password, if the site still doesn't want to take a sensible password, I'll use "F***YouF***UF***ewe2!" and so far, never had a site reject that as a password.
One site had a check for swear words. Why, I don't know.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 08:48 PM   #1030
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Sorry, must contain at least one upper case and one lower case letter.

"MyPasswordIsMoreThan20CharactersLong!"
Sorry, breaking up the password on uppercase characters reveals common English words. Please try again. (I've never seen this in real life.)

"mYpassworDiSmorEthaN20characterSlong!"
Sorry, you have only one special character and it's at the end of the password. Please try again. (I've never seen this in real life, either.)

"correct2horse@batterY!staple"
Sorry, but we read XKCD too. Please try again.

"mY@#$!passw0rDiSnorEthan20characterslong"
Accepted. Thank you.

"Pasuwaadoga20mojiokoeteimasu,bitches"
Old 11th May 2022, 02:57 AM   #1031
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Right, because it's well known that classic poetry used mixed case, numbers, and random symbols

But that still illustrates one of my problems with that. If I'm going to have to remember a whole line, and which letters I replaced with numbers and symbols and whatnot, and let's assume I can even type that much text blind, then <bleep!> remembering one for every login screen I'm put through.

I mean, just at this company, it's literally:
- my computer password
- the admin password so I can even <bleep>ing start task manager when some program gets stuck
- encrypted drive password
- client intranet password
- password for the proxy when I'm in the client's intranet
- client password for the "single sign on" for the production site
- client password for the "single sign on" for the QA site
- client password for the automated deployment site
- client password for the database
- password for the cloud
And I probably missed a couple more.

(Note the irony in having 5 different "single sign on" accounts in the same organization)

<bleep!> remembering a mangled line of poetry for each of those, it's gonna get reused

Last edited by HansMustermann; 11th May 2022 at 02:59 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 04:53 AM   #1032
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

A good example of synecdoche.

Base unit seems to be the consensus now, or perhaps, tower.

I do recall furniture makers selling computer desks generally referring to the base unit as CPU or hard drive.
Old 11th May 2022, 05:42 AM   #1033
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I once had a coworker who referred to her desktop computer as her "system". So she'd say things like "my system is all messed up" and "my system doesn't work" and "I hate my system, it's always so slow" and without context listeners sometimes didn't know what she was talking about and somehow the impression got around that she was suffering from a recurrent UTI and all her complaints about her "system" were related to that. It certainly made listening to her complaints much funnier. "Are you having trouble with your system today?" she'd ask and people would burst into laughter or feel insulted. "Does it look like I am?" or "You can listen at the door and find out!"
Old 11th May 2022, 05:59 AM   #1034
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I once had a coworker who referred to her desktop computer as her "system". So she'd say things like "my system is all messed up" and "my system doesn't work" and "I hate my system, it's always so slow" and without context listeners sometimes didn't know what she was talking about and somehow the impression got around that she was suffering from a recurrent UTI and all her complaints about her "system" were related to that. It certainly made listening to her complaints much funnier. "Are you having trouble with your system today?" she'd ask and people would burst into laughter or feel insulted. "Does it look like I am?" or "You can listen at the door and find out!"
Cistern, not system.
Old 11th May 2022, 07:25 PM   #1035
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear Executive: we get it, you need X. Unfortunately, X is complex. Very complex. As in it's been a project in progress across five teams for two years, including going back to the company who created the software. It's complex. So you shooting an email to me asking if I could "figure out a way" in a week is a) very flattering but also b) delusional to the point that your peer executives might consider having you removed from your position as mentally unfit. It's like you just asked your usual car mechanic if he can get a manned spaceflight to Mars going because NASA is taking too long at it. This project has already consumed at least half a million dollars in research and work, from experts with decades of experience and a lot more credentials than I. You are not merely overly-demanding, you are crazy to even think of asking me for this. (On a week when I've decided to really just phone it in because I worked extra last week, too.)

Love always, and I spilled all the beans to my own boss and your two strongest rivals at your level,
TragicMonkey
Old 11th May 2022, 07:27 PM   #1036
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Cistern, not system.
I can never see the word "cistern" without thinking of the first Tomb Raider game.
Old 11th May 2022, 09:04 PM   #1037
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Dear Executive: we get it, you need X. Unfortunately, X is complex. Very complex. As in it's been a project in progress across five teams for two years, including going back to the company who created the software. It's complex. So you shooting an email to me asking if I could "figure out a way" in a week is a) very flattering but also b) delusional to the point that your peer executives might consider having you removed from your position as mentally unfit. It's like you just asked your usual car mechanic if he can get a manned spaceflight to Mars going because NASA is taking too long at it. This project has already consumed at least half a million dollars in research and work, from experts with decades of experience and a lot more credentials than I. You are not merely overly-demanding, you are crazy to even think of asking me for this. (On a week when I've decided to really just phone it in because I worked extra last week, too.)

Love always, and I spilled all the beans to my own boss and your two strongest rivals at your level,
TragicMonkey
OK, so will it be ready in TWO weeks...?
Old 11th May 2022, 10:36 PM   #1038
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I am such a mfing diplomat.

Once again I get the call from someone who is so annoyed that they can't understand what our procedures are, did something wrong, and it's our communication skills that are at fault, and I turn the call around, get them what they want, and they thank me and end the call happy.

FIGJAM.
Old 12th May 2022, 07:11 AM   #1039
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I am such a mfing diplomat.

Once again I get the call from someone who is so annoyed that they can't understand what our procedures are, did something wrong, and it's our communication skills that are at fault, and I turn the call around, get them what they want, and they thank me and end the call happy.

FIGJAM.
Here you are boasting of helping people while some of us are trying to get executives fired. Sometimes I question your devotion to real IT support.
Old 12th May 2022, 09:15 AM   #1040
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

My ticket about my timesheet problem has been updated to state that they "suspect I am hovering over the wrong application."

I am not hovering over the wrong application, and have said so
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet