IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Old 10th June 2022, 11:08 AM   #1
Warp12
Suspended

Is the Jan 6th committee too partisan?

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
More or less partisan than the Benghazi investigations?

I don't know the full details of those. But, from what has been portrayed here, they seem to have been very partisan. That would not mean that they should serve as a measure, or standard, though.

Last edited by jimbob; 13th June 2022 at 01:24 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:09 AM   #2
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What's your notion of partisan?

Sorry Bob, but I am not going through this entire debate again. It went on for pages before. Obviously little has changed on either side.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:12 AM   #3
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, it is as fair as any committee with a large degree of partisanship should be expected to be. Of course you have to do your own research and not blindly accept what is presented. Although I am sure that most Dems will do exactly that.

And, you should of course try to wade through the obvious political subtext.
Leaving aside your obvious attempts to undermine the investigation by casting it as unfair (which totally undermine your previous attempts to claim you didn't oppose that investigation), how exactly do you think you can "do your own research"*? The committee has done about a thousand interviews. How many have you done?

*every single time that phrase is used, you can be certain the one giving the advice has done zero actual research.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:12 AM   #4
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I don't know the full details of those. But, from what has been portrayed here, they seem to have been very partisan. That would not mean that they should serve as a measure, or standard, though.
So ten "very partisan" investigations into Benghazi elicits no real interest or concern from you, but you comment repeatedly about the partisanship of this investigation.

If you're concerned about these types of investigations being partisan, why are you only expressing that concern for this investigation?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:16 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

All that effort into persona and routine and the plot thinned right back to "Durrrrr it's partisan" yet again.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:19 AM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So, he says expecting literally zero non-troll answers, how can you possibly investigate something which one political side did without it being partisan?

The argument literally "You can do anything in politics because any investigation into it is partisan and being partisan is bad" which, ironically is always the excuse given from people who are super-partisan.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:19 AM   #7
Warp12
Suspended

So ten "very partisan" investigations into Benghazi elicits no real interest or concern from you, but you comment repeatedly about the partisanship of this investigation.

If you're concerned about these types of investigations being partisan, why are you only expressing that concern for this investigation?

Dude, Benghazi was 10 years ago. Back then this stuff was not even on my radar. If it was highly partisan, so be it. Not a hill I care to die on...then again, neither is this one.

See, everyone knows it is a highly partisan committee. But for some darn reason, they can't even acknowledge it. I think they are afraid it will undermine the validity of the results.

Whereas, I am saying it is highly partisan...but let the veracity speak for itself. Maybe this will set a high mark in partisan investigations. Probably still in the gutter with political intent, but maybe factually great?
Old 10th June 2022, 11:23 AM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Dude, Benghazi was 10 years ago. Back then this stuff was not even on my radar. If it was highly partisan, so be it. Not a hill I care to die on...then again, neither is this one.

See, everyone knows it is a highly partisan committee. But for some darn reason, they can't even acknowledge it. I think they are afraid it will undermine the validity of the results.

Whereas, I am saying it is highly partisan...but let the veracity speak for itself. Maybe this will set a high mark in partisan investigations. Probably still in the gutter with political intent, but maybe factually great?
They are Partisan because the GOP members of the HOuse except for CHeney are boycotting it.
It could'tn be becuase they don't want the facts to come out, do YoU/
If you defend Trump and the insurrectionist,you want an overthrow of democracy. End of story.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:24 AM   #9
johnny karate

In point of fact, the Benghazi investigations didn't conclude until 2016.

What has changed for you in the last six years that now partisan investigations concern you, but before they didn't?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:26 AM   #10
wareyin
Philosopher

Dude, the last Benghazi hearing was like 5 years ago.

In your book, participation by far right, right, center, and left politicians is "highly partisan"? How could a committee be "not partisan" under your definitions?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:30 AM   #11
Warp12
Suspended

What has changed for you in the last six years that now partisan investigations concern you, but before they didn't?

I have taken a greater interest in politics and social issues. Nothing mysterious. As I say, if the Benghazi stuff was highly partisan, so be it. I'm not arguing the point. As I say, that event took place 10 years ago...no reason it would have been on my radar, even with the later hearings.

Last edited by Warp12; 10th June 2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:36 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I have taken a greater interest in politics and social issues. Nothing mysterious. As I say, if the Benghazi stuff was highly partisan, so be it. I'm not arguing the point. As I say, that event took place 10 years ago...no reason it would have been on my radar, even with the later hearings.
So even in your own narrative you just magically became obsessed with "partisanship" after Republicans stopped being the one to do it?

Dude just stop it, this is just sad. Layer all the excuses on it you want. The end result is "I have an endless less of excuses as to why I'm on the coup's side but don't dare say I'm on the coup's side."

Let's see you pretend to not understand that.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:43 AM   #13
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So even in your own narrative you just magically became obsessed with "partisanship" after Republicans stopped being the one to do it?

Dude just stop it, this is just sad. Layer all the excuses on it you want. The end result is "I have an endless less of excuses as to why I'm on the coup's side but don't dare say I'm on the coup's side."

I understand what you are saying, it just has no merit.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:45 AM   #14
johnny karate

You have several posts on this forum commenting on political events of 2016. This is just a sampling:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13673890

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13673672

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post13630723

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13605166

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13665567

Why wasn't the partisan nature of the Benghazi investigation one of them?
Old 10th June 2022, 11:47 AM   #15
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh look caught in another lie. Let's see how he will lie his way out of it.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:47 AM   #16
Warp12
Suspended

You have several posts on this forum commenting on political events of 2016. This is just a sampling:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13673890

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13673672

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post13630723

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13605166

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13665567

Why wasn't the partisan nature of the Benghazi investigation one of them?

All of those posts are from 2021. I'm not sure of what your point is?
Old 10th June 2022, 11:48 AM   #17
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Keep pretending.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:56 AM   #18
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So I'm not the only one hearing a lot of 'quacking' in this thread?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 11:57 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So I'm not the only one hearing a lot of 'quacking' in this thread?
We have to call that "Civil debate" we have to have for "free speech" reasons on this board.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:59 AM   #20
johnny karate

My point is that they demonstrate your awareness and interest in the political events of 2016, which you previously denied.

We've established that not only were you aware and interested in the political events of 2016, but you continued to discuss them five years later.

The question remains why you expressed no interest or concern regarding the partisanship of the Benghazi investigations that were concluding that same year, to this day still have no interest in it, but are now suddenly concerned about the partisanship of the January 6th investigation.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:00 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I am claiming the committee is highly partisan. There is significant underlying political intent, as is to be expected. Does that mean they can't possibly uncover pertinent facts? No.

I just happen to find the level of partisanship amusing. And especially the denials. Just own it, and make the most of it, I say.

This debate was gone through many pages ago, where many people denied it as well. I just felt it quite relevant again, with all of the primetime drama and celebratory comments.
And who is to blame for that... the people who are on that committee, or Kevin "Spineless Trump Arse-licker" McCarthy who threw his toys out of the cot because he couldn't get House members who were behind the 1/6 insurrection (Gym Jordan, Jim Banks and Troy Nehls.) on the committee investigating it?

If you see the 1/6 committee as partisan, you need to recognise that McCarty is entirely to blame for it.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 12:03 PM   #22
Warp12
Suspended

My point is that they demonstrate your awareness and interest in the political events of 2016, which you previously denied.

We've established that not only were you aware and interested in the political events of 2016, but you continued to discuss them five years later.

The question remains why you expressed no interest or concern regarding the partisanship of the Benghazi investigations that were concluding that same year, to this day still have no interest in it, but are now suddenly concerned about the partisanship of the January 6th investigation.

Zero merit. And that is being generous.

You referenced my comments in threads specifically related to the Trump presidency. I mean, even this thread is talking about events from 2021. Why you think this ties into some investigations about an event that occurred in 2012, I don't know. Take that debate elsewhere, I'd say. Losing cause.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:04 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Leaving aside your obvious attempts to undermine the investigation by casting it as unfair (which totally undermine your previous attempts to claim you didn't oppose that investigation), how exactly do you think you can "do your own research"*? The committee has done about a thousand interviews. How many have you done?

*every single time that phrase is used, you can be certain the one giving the advice has done zero actual research.

By only taking notice of what he reads/sees in Faux News, Newsmax, OAN and other right-wing and far right sources?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 12:05 PM   #24
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And who is to blame for that... the people who are on that committee, or Kevin "Spineless Trump Arse-licker" McCarthy who threw his toys out of the cot because he couldn't get House members who were behind the 1/6 insurrection (Gym Jordan, Jim Banks and Troy Nehls.) on the committee investigating it?

At least this guy admits that I am right about the partisanship.

Is it so hard to do?
Old 10th June 2022, 12:07 PM   #25
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I don’t understand how this is “partisan”. It is literally co-chaired by a Republican and a Democrat. There would have been two more Republicans on the committee if McCarthey hadn’t tried to put two of the people under investigation on the committee.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:09 PM   #26
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed...

Old 10th June 2022, 12:12 PM   #27
wareyin
Philosopher

Is it so hard to do?
As we have established, your definition of a "highly partisan" committee is one that includes far right, right, center and left politicians. Which begs the question of how it would be possible to assemble a committee that was not partisan under your definition.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:14 PM   #28
johnny karate

Zero merit. And that is being generous.

You referenced my comments in threads specifically related to the Trump presidency. I mean, even this thread is talking about events from 2021. Why you think this ties into some investigations about an event that occurred in 2012, I don't know. Take that debate elsewhere, I'd say. Losing cause.
The year the event took place is irrelevant. The investigations continued years later, all the way up to 2016.

You were already caught in a lie about your interest in political events of that same year to explain your lack of interest in the partisan nature of those investigations. Continuing to lie about it is fruitless.

So what is it about these the alleged partisan nature of the January 6th investigation that's piqued your interest where the Benghazi investigations did not?
Old 10th June 2022, 12:15 PM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I don’t understand how this is “partisan”.
Again what does "partisan" even mean when the whole point is that one political party did something wrong?

Like I said earlier the Nuremburg Trails were partisan by this kind of stupid logic.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:17 PM   #30
johnny karate

Is it so hard to do?
How does denying a role in the investigation to people who are suspected in playing a part in the thing being investigated make it partisan?
Old 10th June 2022, 12:18 PM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"This jury doesn't have a single member of my mob on it!"
Old 10th June 2022, 12:23 PM   #32
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is it so hard to do?

No, you are strawmanning what I said, and you even snipped the context to make a better strawman...

I am asking YOU who is to blame for why YOU see the committee as paritsan

The committee is NOT partisan, its has two Republican members, one of whom is vice chair!!
Old 10th June 2022, 12:26 PM   #33
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The committee is NOT partisan, its has two Republican members, one of whom is vice chair!!

Two outcasts who clearly have an axe to grind. Come on.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:27 PM   #34
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Most GOPers in congress are boycotting it.And Cheney is reviled by many Republicans.
It is dominated by Democrats big time, let's admit it.
But it is the GOP own choice that they did not want to take part in it.
I fully support the comitee but to pretend it is bi partisan is just plain wrong. It could have been, but the GOP in congress rejected it.

This is at least a fair position.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:31 PM   #35
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Huh? Seriously, what you are saying makes no sense. I have held my position that the 1/6 committee is highly partisan, from the beginning. It does not mean that they cannot possibly uncover wrongdoing.
True. However, you were unable to point out any specific ways it's more partisan than any other congressional committee.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:38 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Is it so hard to do?
Thanks for demonstrating that Trump isn't the only one who gaslights himself.

1) The Speaker of the House introduces bill to form an independent committee to investigate J6.

2) The House votes to form independent committee: Thirty-five GOP members vote for yet.

3) GOP controlled Senate blocks vote to form independent committee.

4)House votes to form select committee in order to bypass Senate block. Will be bi-partisan consisting of both GOP and Dem members. Thirty-three of the 35 GOP members who voted for an independent committee vote against select committee. The two exceptions are Cheney and Kinzinger.

5) McCarthy nominates 5 GOP members including Jim Banks and Jim Jordan (both of whom voted to challenge certification of electoral votes and promoted the Big Lie). Pelosi rejects Banks and Jordan. "Another Republican, freshman Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas), also voted not to certify Biden’s win, but Pelosi said she is “prepared to appoint” Nehls as well as Reps. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.) and Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.), both of whom voted to certify the election." (Politico)

6) McCarthy pulls all GOP committee nominees and refuses to participate at all.

7) Pelosi invites Cheney and Kinzinger to committee.

8) GOP whines about select committee being partisan.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 12:39 PM   #37
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The problem for Warp is that he cannot point to anything dishonest or misleading about what the January 6th committee is presenting to the public.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:40 PM   #38
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also water is wet, fire is hot.

If you have to stop to explain these things in a discussion, you've lost the discussion.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:40 PM   #39
Lurch
Master Poster

"This jury doesn't have a single member of my mob on it!"
"You'se is s'posed to be let off by a jury of your peers, see? It says so right there in the law! I demand my right to have the jury be my peers!"
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 12:40 PM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The problem for Warp is that he cannot point to anything dishonest or misleading about what the January 6th committee is presenting to the public.
"It's partisan!"

"Okay. What's it saying that's wrong?"

"....... IT'S PARTISAN!"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics