IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags secret service

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the missing texts from January 5th and 6th was an honest mistake
Yes, of course it was an honest mistake. 1 2.04%
Yes, The Secret Service is upstanding. 0 0%
I'm not sure. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. 2 4.08%
Ordinarily, I would trust them. But not so sure any more. 16 32.65%
Hell no, Trump corrupts everything. 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st July 2022, 03:06 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It would not surprise me one bit that some USSS members are hardened Trump supporters.

Quote:
Two top members of former President Donald Trump's personal security detail were "very, very close" to Trump and are "viewed as being aligned" with him, said Carol Leonnig, a long-time investigative reporter at The Washington Post.

Leonnig is the author of the book "Zero Fail: The Rise and Fall of the Secret Service" and co-author of "I Alone Can Fix It," which delves into Trump's final year as president.
Quote:
"There was a very large contingent of Donald Trump's detail, who were personally cheering for Biden to fail, and some of them even took to their personal media accounts to cheer on the insurrection and the individuals riding up to the Capitol as patriots," Leonnig said. "That is problematic."

"I'm not saying that Tony Ornato or Bobby Engel did that, but they are viewed as being aligned with Donald Trump, which cuts against them," she added.
Quote:
Leonnig told MSNBC that Ornato was viewed as "so pro-Trump" that he was suspected by one of former Vice President Mike Pence's top aides as someone who would "try to whisk Vice President Pence away from the Capitol at a critical moment."
Quote:
"Bobby Engel and Tony Ornato were very, very close to President Trump, and some people accuse them of at times being enablers, and yes-men of the President," Leonnig said. "Particularly Tony Ornato."

She described them as "people who wanted to do what he wanted and see him pleased," adding that they frustrated other agents who were more focused on "security or being independent or good planning."

"So both of these individuals lose a little credibility because of how closely they have been seen as aligned to Donald Trump," Leonnig added.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-author-2022-6
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2022, 03:09 PM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
And now the Inspector General is telling the SS to stop its investigation...the plot thickens.

I'd bet my right arm there are some major bombshells in those texts, I hope they are recovered!
That would have depended entirely on how long the riot lasted (Trump did his best to extend it) and how safe the SS deemed the Capitol to be afterwards.
A pro-trump SS Detail could have always claimed that Pence had to stay away for security reasons.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2022, 03:21 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That would have depended entirely on how long the riot lasted (Trump did his best to extend it) and how safe the SS deemed the Capitol to be afterwards.
A pro-trump SS Detail could have always claimed that Pence had to stay away for security reasons.
I think you meant to reply to me?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2022, 01:02 PM   #44
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/polit...ges/index.html

Oh look. The Secret Service found the messages from 10 people. This should be good.
Old 22nd July 2022, 01:17 PM   #45
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/polit...ges/index.html

Oh look. The Secret Service found the messages from 10 people. This should be good.
If I understand correctly, according to the article, they said they found 'Metadata'.... basically information that shows when a message was sent and to whom, but nothing about the content of the text itself.

So they could have been messages about "did you see that football game last week?" or they could be messages about "when should we turn Pence over to the mob?"

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:28 AM   #46
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Between Hillary Clinton under Obama, and now Biden, democratic administrations have a real problem with record retention.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 04:48 AM   #47
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Between Hillary Clinton under Obama, and now Biden, democratic administrations have a real problem with record retention.
You conveniently overlook the practice of the prolapsed orange anus to tear up docs, requiring staffers to tape them back together, and the flushing of papers down the bog. Not to mention the pilfering of boxes of records from the WH upon the creature's departure.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 05:46 AM   #48
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
You conveniently overlook the practice of the prolapsed orange anus to tear up docs, requiring staffers to tape them back together, and the flushing of papers down the bog. Not to mention the pilfering of boxes of records from the WH upon the creature's departure.
Can I not say someone has a drug problem if there are others with a worse problem?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 06:08 AM   #49
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Biden was not sworn in until late January 2021. The "device replacement" program that the secret service claims resulted in the text deletions began before he was sworn in.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 06:28 AM   #50
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Biden was not sworn in until late January 2021. The "device replacement" program that the secret service claims resulted in the text deletions began before he was sworn in.

But the messages were deleted some time between Jan 6 and an inspector general email in February. If it happened Jan 21 or later, that is on Biden.
Old 23rd July 2022, 06:38 AM   #51
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

But the messages were deleted some time between Jan 6 and an inspector general email in February. If it happened Jan 21 or later, that is on Biden.
You will have to excuse me if I think an incoming president won't have complete control over his administration in the first few weeks of his term (before he manages to get any nominations confirmed). Transitions take weeks if not months to complete. His head of Homeland security wasn't even sworn in until February.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 23rd July 2022, 06:42 AM   #52
Reformed Offlian
Muse

You will have to excuse me if I think an incoming president won't have complete control over his administration in the first few weeks of his term (before he manages to get any nominations confirmed). Transitions take weeks if not months to complete. His head of Homeland security wasn't even sworn in until February.
Especially transitions where the outgoing administration isn't actually cooperating with the process.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:54 AM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the buck stops somewhere else
Old 23rd July 2022, 08:10 AM   #54
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

The buck's not even real, Clinton didn't mishandle classified documents. Counterfeit's in the SS purview----wait, they're the ones trying to hide the evidence (from Biden). But sure, it's all a Democrat's fault.
Old 23rd July 2022, 08:43 AM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If I understand correctly, according to the article, they said they found 'Metadata'.... basically information that shows when a message was sent and to whom, but nothing about the content of the text itself.

So they could have been messages about "did you see that football game last week?" or they could be messages about "when should we turn Pence over to the mob?"
That's the start. I expect the messages will be "found".
Old 23rd July 2022, 09:19 PM   #56
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Here is an update from yesterday - https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/07/1...deleted-texts/

I found this statement particularly interesting: "Florida Rep. Stephanie Murphy, a Democratic member of the Jan 6. panel, said the Secret Service acknowledged the erasure in a letter Tuesday, detailing how agency phones were migrated to a new system in the weeks after the 2021 attack.

Murphy said the agency left it up to individual agents to decide what electronic records to keep and what to delete during the process."
Some issues surrounding the preservation of data, such as text messages, pics on cellphones:

Ludicrous to leave it up to individual Secret Service agents to save cellphone data

You don't tell and let the user (Secret Service) agents do a backup. The IT department should get the devices and back them up (to the Cloud?), then (the IT dept.) should restore data to a new (cellphone) device, and give said new device to the user (Secret Service agent).

Cellphones & data/texts should've been immediately marked with a "Legal Hold"

If there was any inkling that lawyers are interested in the data, and to prevent data from being wiped, the cellphones should've been marked with a "Legal Hold" and sent (the cellphones) to a secure location like Iron Mountain. This also holds true from a historical perspective; what took place on (and around) January 6, 2021 at the U.S. Capitol is of historical significance.

Texts (data) and the cellphones should've been sent to a secure location like Iron Mountain

Texts (all data) and cellphones should've been preserved by the Secret Service, period. A legal hold should've been placed on the data/texts/cellphones on January 6th, 2021, period.

Whoever was in charge of the cellphones and/or other devices should've saved the text messages/data and the actual cellphones, and the Secret Service shouldn't have even needed a letter from Congress to tell them to preserve the data, and the letter should've said to preserve the devices as well. It should've been standard operating procedure to have backups and preserve the cellphones.

Backups should've been kept and retained, and the original devices (cellphones) should have been physically sentóuntouched, do nothing to them but send them offóto a secure location like Iron Mountain.

Missing texts due to migration of data and/or devices doesn't pass the smell test.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 09:06 AM   #57
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
Missing texts due to migration of data and/or devices doesn't pass the smell test.
Hanlonís Razor, but Iím inclined to agree with you regardless. Either way, someone is responsible and deserves to get their career flushed down the toilet.
Old 24th July 2022, 12:06 PM   #58
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

Hanlonís Razor, but Iím inclined to agree with you regardless. Either way, someone is responsible and deserves to get their career flushed down the toilet.
This appears it could be be Hanlon's Razor.

Hanlon's razor reads "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

But to be clear, it would be practically impossible for the texts to be erased and gone due to an unintended or unknowing result from a "device replacement program." Those 'missing' texts are part of federal government record and should've been preserved according to government policies and procedures.

Did stupidity or incompetence result in the erased text messages? Or was it bad intentions? I don't know, but those 'missing' text messagesóthey should've been preserved. I get the sense this will turn out that a number of people deserve to get their careers flushed down the toilet.

Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 12:33 PM   #59
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Hanlon's razor reads "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

But to be clear, it would be practically impossible for the texts to be erased and gone due to an unintended or unknowing result from a "device replacement program." Those 'missing' texts are part of federal government record and should've been preserved according to government policies and procedures.

Did stupidity or incompetence result in the erased text messages? Or was it bad intentions? I don't know, but those 'missing' text messagesóthey should've been preserved. I get the sense this will turn out that a number of people deserve to get their careers flushed down the toilet.
I'm willing to accept incompetence as plausible if all messages from those devices are gone.

If it is just the ones from the 5th and 6th, that's just too perfect to be an accident or blunder.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2022, 02:50 PM   #60
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I'm willing to accept incompetence as plausible if all messages from those devices are gone.

If it is just the ones from the 5th and 6th, that's just too perfect to be an accident or blunder.
I agree.
Old 24th July 2022, 03:25 PM   #61
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

I agree, too.

But whatever led to the "erased" texts, the texts should've been archived and backed up as part of federal government record. Those texts should be public record.

The "erased" text situation also brings up the issue of plausible deniability, because without those texts, which is not publicly known what they contain, that could give senior officials the ability to deny knowledge of or responsibility for any damnable actions committed by members of their organizational hierarchy. (I paraphrased most of that sentence from Wikipedia. Not that Wikipedia is always right or great, but it was descriptive of my point of without those texts, it's harder to know who knew what and when, and the context and actions that took place before, during, and after.)

Old 24th July 2022, 05:39 PM   #62
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Poll needs more cowbell Planet X.

Iíve heard people speculate that TFG asked a USSS agent for a cell phone to ensure that the text could not be tracked back to him. Iím doubtful.
Old 2nd August 2022, 03:44 PM   #63
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

That's the start. I expect the messages will be "found".

No. I get the sense that the text messages will not be "found."

Regarding the United States Secret Service cellphones and text messages and corresponding data:

If the USSS was run like many US companies, I infer the USSS cellphones and the data such as text messages, computers, and cellphones, should've been put on a legal hold. The legal hold should've been done internally, (I allege) likely by the USSS legal team or the Department of Homeland Security legal team (which the USSS is under).

The legal hold for the USSS cellphones/data/text messages should've been done 1) in anticipation of an imminent legal case, 2) (I allege) to be in compliance whereas the work devices are subject to the Presidential Records Act (PRA) of 1978 which is a federal records-keeping law, and 3) because of the historical significance of events on and around January 6, 2021.

I allege the legal hold should've instructed the USSS not to delete electronically stored information or discard paper documents relevant to January 6.

I allege the legal hold for the USSS cellphones/data/text messages/computers should've happened on January 6, 2021. I believe the cellphones should've been shut off, nothing deleted, and all devices sent to a secure location like Iron Mountain. The idea is to preserve the data, so as not to change anything or delete anything...shut the cellphones off and turn them in.

I allege that the USSS cellphones, computers, which include but may not necessarily be limited to all data/text messages/emails/phone call logs should've been taken from the USSS agents, and sent to a secure location like Iron Mountain.

Also, I hypothesize that the delay in notification of the USSS "erased" texts meant data could've been overwritten on storage devices not directly accessible in person.

The idea is to preserve the actual USSS cellphones on January 6, 2021.

In addition to missing USSS text messages:
Carol D. Leonnig and Maria Sacchetti reported on 28 July 2022 for The Washington Post that "Jan. 6 texts missing for Trump Homeland Securityís Wolf and Cuccinelli"

now, Tuesday, 02 Aug 2022, CNN reported that:
TEXT MESSAGES HAVE BEEN WIPED FOR KEY TRUMP PENTAGON OFFICIALS

CNN article titled "First on CNN: Jan. 6 text messages wiped from phones of key Trump Pentagon officials," CNN reported "The Defense Department wiped the phones of top departing DOD and Army officials at the end of the Trump administration, deleting any texts from key witnesses to events surrounding the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to court filings."

I get the sense All those records, data, computers and cellphones should've been place on legal hold and preserved and sent to a secure location like Iron Mountain on January 6, 2021.

CNN reported that the Defense Department wiped the phones of top departing DOD and Army officials. So much for the Presidential Records Act (PRA) of 1978.

Last edited by Ernie M; 2nd August 2022 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Corrected the link to Carol Leonnig and Maria Sacchetti's article for The Washington Post
Old 2nd August 2022, 05:01 PM   #64
Ernie M
Muse

The "About" statement on the American Oversight website:

"American Oversight is a nonpartisan, nonprofit watchdog that uses public records requests backed by litigation to fight corruption, drive accountability, and defend democracy. We believe transparency is a critical tool to promote integrity in government and to protect justice, truth, and the rule of law."

CNN reported that "The acknowledgment that the phones from the Pentagon officials had been wiped was first revealed in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit American Oversight brought against the Defense Department and the Army. The watchdog group is seeking January 6 records from former acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller, former chief of staff Kash Patel, and former Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy, among other prominent Pentagon officials -- having filed initial FOIA requests just a few days after the Capitol attack."

From CNN source:
By Tierney Sneed and Zachary Cohen. "First on CNN: Jan. 6 text messages wiped from phones of key Trump Pentagon officials." CNN. 02 Aug 2022.

Old 4th August 2022, 07:22 AM   #65
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Hanlon's razor does not apply to anything involving Trump. In that case, it's always a mixture of evil and stupidity.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 02:33 PM   #66
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Hanlon's razor does not apply to anything involving Trump. In that case, it's always a mixture of evil and stupidity.
We know Occamís and Hansonís, maybe we should have a thread inviting members to speculate what Trumpís Razor should be.
Old 4th August 2022, 03:16 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
We know Occamís and Hansonís, maybe we should have a thread inviting members to speculate what Trumpís Razor should be.
Never attribute to incompetence that which is adequately explained by malice.
Old 4th August 2022, 03:38 PM   #68
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Every accusation is a confession.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 03:43 PM   #69
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Don't hire Idiots for an Insurrection and Cover-up if you don't want too do the Time.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 03:48 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's Razor: Every accusation is a confession.
Old 4th August 2022, 04:58 PM   #71
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Whatís uncanny is how prescient he was in attacking #44 by saying Obama plays too much golf, spends too much on travel, never reads his security briefings, has too much staff turnover, etc.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:00 PM   #72
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Whatís uncanny is how prescient he was in attacking #44 by saying Obama plays too much golf, spends too much on travel, never reads his security briefings, has too much staff turnover, etc.
Trump would be "too busy to play golf".

Old 4th August 2022, 11:08 PM   #73
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
And has been shown to be true time and time again.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics