IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th August 2022, 08:49 AM   #1
ahhell
Illuminator

Half Baked Political Reform

I heard an interesting but probably not really well thought out idea for partial reform of the US military industrial complex.

Give someone in the Defense Department to veto any congresionally authorized spending the military doesn't want.

So, pretty much every military budget there's some extra spending for things the military doesn't want because some congressman doesn't want to loose jobs in their district. So, let the Joint Chiefs or President say, no.

It would be a marginal difference I'm sure, still I kind of like it.

Anyrate, post your not necessarily well thought out ideas. No fully fleshed out ideas please.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:10 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Separation of powers. The President, and the rest of the Executive branch, are duty bound to carry out the policies mandated by the Legislature. The time for the veto would be when the bill reaches the president's desk. After he signs it into law, he and his generals need to be subordinate to that law, and to the will of Congress. Otherwise the president becomes a law unto himself, which none of us actually want.

Further, if your reform were put into place, it would give the military the power to reject any necessary reform that Congress wished to carry out in the armed forces, if the entrenched interests at the Pentagon preferred the status quo.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:16 AM   #3
ahhell
Illuminator

I did say it was half baked.

Besides, congress delegates al sorts of powers. The idea would be that they could only veto spending, they couldn't veto anything else nor could the spend the vetoed money on something else. Maybe it could be written in such a way as to only allow very specific sorts of spending. Like if congress wants 10 carriers and the Navy wants 8, then they can reject the additional 2 or the air force want 50 fighers but congress wants 100, they can reject teh extra 50.

Last edited by ahhell; 5th August 2022 at 09:20 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:16 AM   #4
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Shouldn't this be in US Politics?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:55 AM   #5
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Shouldn't this be in US Politics?
I figure other countries probably need some reform too. It's not meant to about the one thing. There isn't enough meat there for a whole thread. I mean to to be about any sort of musing on politics that folks have heard or thought of where they also thought, "That might be a good idea" but have gone much beyond that.

Last edited by ahhell; 5th August 2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:57 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I did say it was half baked.

Besides, congress delegates al sorts of powers. The idea would be that they could only veto spending, they couldn't veto anything else nor could the spend the vetoed money on something else. Maybe it could be written in such a way as to only allow very specific sorts of spending. Like if congress wants 10 carriers and the Navy wants 8, then they can reject the additional 2 or the air force want 50 fighers but congress wants 100, they can reject teh extra 50.
Why on Earth would Congress want to delegate this particular power? Honestly I think that previous Congresses have gotten a bit too lazy, and already delegated too much power to the Executive branch. I think they should claw back some of it.

Delegating some war-making power to the president makes a certain amount of sense, since it allows the president to mobilize an effective stopgap force in an emergency, while Congress takes time to deliberate about long-term policy.

Delegating policy-making authority to the people who are supposed to execute the desired policy makes a mockery of Congress's desires. "We really want you to do this, but we also want you to ignore us if you disagree." Congress should be much more jealous of its powers than that.

Congress already has the authority to subpoena witnesses and hold hearings. That's the time for the military to exercise it's "veto": In Congressional hearings, providing their expert opinion when asked, and before Congress makes a decision about what policy it wishes the military to carry out. After that, soldiers who are unwilling to do what they're told by their lawful government have another option: They can resign. And that is exactly how the relationship between the military its government should be.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics