IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , telescopes

Old 20th July 2022, 02:43 PM   #1081
ynot
Philosopher

Never mind space expansion, the (observable by telescope) Universe gets bigger every time JWST blinks .
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2022, 03:09 PM   #1082
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

The image released showing the most distance galaxies was made from a 12.5 hour exposure, iirc, whereas similar images from Hubble require approximately 10 day exposures. So, scientists are pretty excited as to what (future) longer exposures on the JWST will show.
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2022, 04:40 PM   #1083
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oh-M-Gee, it's been totally ruined by micrometorite damage!!!! Eleventy!

According to the lamestream media.

Somehow, it'll go on doing useful science for years to come.
Old 20th July 2022, 04:57 PM   #1084
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike Helland View Post
JWST has found the oldest galaxy we have ever seen in the universe

Discoveries from the James Webb Space Telescope are pouring in, with an analysis of the latest data revealing a galaxy that dates back to just 300 million years after the big bang Ė the oldest we have ever seen

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-the-universe/
It looks just like a boil needing lancing lol, I presume that picture is somehow best guess at true colour.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2022, 05:08 PM   #1085
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
It looks just like a boil needing lancing lol, I presume that picture is somehow best guess at true colour.
Or they are using redshift.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2022, 05:25 PM   #1086
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I presume that picture is somehow best guess at true colour.
Not exactly. First of all, what would "true" color actually mean? The color that the light was when it was emitted (before being red-shifted into the infrared, which human eyes cannot see)? But probably you map longer wavelengths onto the red end of the visible spectrum and shorter wavelengths onto the blue end. So in that sense, the colors would correspond to how our own eyes perceive different wavelengths of visible light.
Old 20th July 2022, 06:09 PM   #1087
ynot
Philosopher

I thought it was a whitehead pimple on God's butt. If they pan around a bit we might see God's Black Hole .
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2022, 07:12 PM   #1088
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Not exactly. First of all, what would "true" color actually mean? The color that the light was when it was emitted (before being red-shifted into the infrared, which human eyes cannot see)? But probably you map longer wavelengths onto the red end of the visible spectrum and shorter wavelengths onto the blue end. So in that sense, the colors would correspond to how our own eyes perceive different wavelengths of visible light.
Presumably you could blue shift the entire spectrum into the visible light range, keeping the proportions between the frequencies the same. A computer algorithm could do it, based on the known about of red shift in the source.
Old 21st July 2022, 04:10 AM   #1089
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Presumably you could blue shift the entire spectrum into the visible light range, keeping the proportions between the frequencies the same. A computer algorithm could do it, based on the known about of red shift in the source.
That makes a lot of sense to me. Just cancel out the red-shift, right? You can probably also work out what visible light waves would be present from the infrared waves and known physics of blackbody radiation. And I know that they use emission lines of elements to calculate how much red shift there is.
Old 21st July 2022, 04:25 AM   #1090
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

What I hope they have done here is compile a colour visual as though as close as Andromeda today, but I am a little uncertain.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2022, 11:10 AM   #1091
Mike Helland
Master Poster

Related paper to the ultra distant galaxies:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.09434

"This, in turn, suggests that future deep JWST observations may identify relatively bright galaxies to much earlier epochs than might have been anticipated."
Mike Helland is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2022, 06:57 PM   #1092
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
That makes a lot of sense to me. Just cancel out the red-shift, right? You can probably also work out what visible light waves would be present from the infrared waves and known physics of blackbody radiation. And I know that they use emission lines of elements to calculate how much red shift there is.
Yes, that's how it seems to me. Kind of like how noise-cancelling headphones work but not really.
Old 22nd July 2022, 03:42 AM   #1093
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes, that's how it seems to me. Kind of like how noise-cancelling headphones work but not really.
Perhaps more like how a bat detector works by shifting the bat's calls down to human-audible frequencies. Though of course here the shift would be raising the frequencies to be closer to what they were when originally emitted.

What I'm not clear about is whether that's really something that Webb can do: is the degree of redshift seen in those very distant galaxies suitable for Webb's sensors to see what was originally visible wavelengths and allow the production of a false colour image close to what was originally true colour?

(And that's aside from whether that would be a scientifically useful thing to do or just a cool trick.)
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2022, 04:00 AM   #1094
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

This whole discussion reminds me that I did come across a video just the other day from a guy that did his own image processing on the data. He also shows how to do it, for anyone who is curious. I only watched bits and pieces of it myself, but for anyone who is interested in image processing, colorizing and so on, here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuonz26P0w

He also shows where you can download the raw data, and how to find the data you are looking for. Anyone can do it, but there's a firehose of data so it helps to know how to narrow it down.
Old 22nd July 2022, 06:01 AM   #1095
jadebox
Master Poster

A "true color" image would expose less detail and probably wouldn't look like what a person would actually see. Ignoring issues of distance, perspective, and brightness, color perception depends on more than just the frequency of the light being observed. Think about that "what color is the dress" meme and other optical illusions.

I am not sure there is much to be gained by trying to produce a true color image. But, it might be an interesting exercise.

Back in the days before such data was easily available on the Internet, I bought a big set of CDROMs of data from the Voyager missions. It included software, with source code, for displaying the image. I had fun playing with and modifying the software. It was fun seeing the images slowly rendering on the screen.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2022, 04:08 PM   #1096
ynot
Philosopher

Other than the "eye candy" images, my main lay-interests in JWST are evidence that life might exists elsewhere, and evidence that either supports The Big Bang/expanding Universe model or not. I also expect "at the length truth will out", so I don't need to worry about Standard Model bias conspiracies.

I imagine (hope) there will be a deep space image that uses JWST's highest resolution and magnification at the longest exposure to see the full extent of how far it can see and what's there (well, what was there when the light/heat was emitted).

Last edited by ynot; 28th July 2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:50 PM   #1097
ynot
Philosopher

JWST Next Steps . . . https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/08/...bs-next-steps/

ETA - Eye candy . . . https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...rtwheel-galaxy . . . Yummy!

JWST = Just Wow! Space Telescope

Last edited by ynot; 2nd August 2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2nd August 2022, 04:21 PM   #1098
ynot
Philosopher

Oooops - wrong thread.
Old 4th August 2022, 04:31 AM   #1099
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Does this thread about the JWST need a major split? The cosmology discussion probably deserves a thread of its own.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:54 AM   #1100
sarge
Philosopher

Mod Info Fascinating discussion about the impact of JWST findings on existing theories moved to http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=360724
Posted By:sarge
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #1101
Mike Helland
Master Poster

A video from ESA, 1 minute long, "Zoom into the Cartwheel Galaxy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAjQX-eapc

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Darat; Today at 04:03 AM. Reason: Corrected YT tag
Mike Helland is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology