IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th August 2022, 12:00 PM   #1801
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
My question is....

Is the plaintiff/prosecutor allowed to bring up that possibility during any court proceedings? (For example, can they say "do you trust the person who claimed the 5th"? Or can they even bring up Trump's own words... "Trump said guilty people take the 5th and now he's taking the 5th.")
In criminal cases no inference can be made, in civil cases the jury is free to infer what they choose.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:04 PM   #1802
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Quote:
My question is....

Is the plaintiff/prosecutor allowed to bring up that possibility during any court proceedings? (For example, can they say "do you trust the person who claimed the 5th"? Or can they even bring up Trump's own words... "Trump said guilty people take the 5th and now he's taking the 5th.")
In criminal cases no inference can be made, in civil cases the jury is free to infer what they choose.
Yes, I know in civil cases the jury can make the inference. My question is whether the lawyers themselves can do anything to help the jury members make the inference (such as reminding them that "Trump said only guilty people take the 5th") or do they just have to rely on what the jury already knows/feels.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:19 PM   #1803
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's amusing, but not a great piece of a satire. I give it straight B.
Sadly, the cultists are saying these exact same things without that sarcasm.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:24 PM   #1804
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Sadly, the cultists are saying these exact same things without that sarcasm.
The cultists dote on every mispronounced burp and fart out of the Orange Oaf as gold-dust, and collectively hate and fear anything contrary. That's why it is a cult.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:59 PM   #1805
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, I know in civil cases the jury can make the inference. My question is whether the lawyers themselves can do anything to help the jury members make the inference (such as reminding them that "Trump said only guilty people take the 5th") or do they just have to rely on what the jury already knows/feels.
In the civil case, yes. In the criminal case, no. One of the reasons Trump would want to take 5th in the civil case is that gives him more cover in the criminal case.
Old 11th August 2022, 01:56 PM   #1806
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have been on a Star Trek TOS kick lately, and last night I got around to one of most people's favorite episodes; "The Trouble With Tribbles"
The insult which Kolax uses about Captain Kirk when he is trying to pick a fight with Scotty fits Trump perfectly:

Quote:
a swaggering, overbearing, tin-plated dictator with delusions of godhood
And Kolax's follow up "Denebian Slime Devil" fits also.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 02:54 PM   #1807
ZiprHead
Muse

I have been on a Star Trek TOS kick lately, and last night I got around to one of most people's favorite episodes; "The Trouble With Tribbles"
The insult which Kolax uses about Captain Kirk when he is trying to pick a fight with Scotty fits Trump perfectly:

What do you think the Romulans did with the tribbles after Scotty transported them into their cargo hold?

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 03:07 PM   #1808
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
What do you think the Romulans did with the tribbles after Scotty transported them into their cargo hold?
They were Klingons.
Old 11th August 2022, 03:08 PM   #1809
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

ninja'd

But I think they probably tried to stab and zap them all but they kept finding food, and eventually another Klingon cruiser came by, beamed the crew off and scuttled the ship.

Then no doubt they located the tribble homeworld and did saturation surface bombardment, just to be sure.

Last edited by gnome; 11th August 2022 at 03:10 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 03:08 PM   #1810
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
They were Klingons.
Sorry. It's been quite a few years since I've seen the episode.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 03:46 PM   #1811
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Kirk:
On the contrary, I take this project very seriously. It is you I don't take seriously.
Old 11th August 2022, 04:34 PM   #1812
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Klingons, not Romulans.
The Deep Space Nine episode in which the DSP crew went back in time to the Tribble episode .."Trials and Tribbleuastions' actually, in a way, answers that when Worf talks about the Klingon campaing against the Tribbles when they became a serious enviomamental danger to several Klingon planets.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th August 2022 at 04:37 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 04:38 PM   #1813
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Kirk:
On the contrary, I take this project very seriously. It is you I don't take seriously.
Kirk's slow burn over his Chicken Sandwich is also classic.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th August 2022, 07:43 PM   #1814
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I heard a little snippet on the radio from a former Justice dept. official, suggesting that Trump could publish the contents of the warrant if he so wishes, but that the Justice Dept. will likely not, and that at this point it's quite possible that more than just the stolen archives were included in it. Lots to wait and see about. I'm keeping fingers crossed for something juicy, though I won't be surprised if it magically turns out to be nothing at all except more motivation for the abject anti-democratic base to do some more revolting.
Since this doesn't look like it's been poked at yet -

Quote:
"Classified documents relating to nuclear weapons were among the items FBI agents sought in a search of former president Donald Trump’s Florida residence on Monday," The Washington Post reported, citing "people familiar with the investigation."
Link is to Raw Story to avoid worries of a paywall.

Also of note in response here...

Merrick Garland: DOJ asks judge to unseal Mar-a-Lago search warrant

Likely or not, the DoJ seems to be trying to make the contents public, this time.

Also...

Quote:
Some of the documents that the F.B.I. took as they searched for documents that Trump had withheld were labeled "top secret," according to the inventory that the agents provided Trump's team with
And...

Cincinnati FBI breach suspect is killed in shootout and identified as possible Jan. 6 participant

Thanks, people doing their best to cause stochastic terrorism.

Last edited by Aridas; 11th August 2022 at 08:03 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #1815
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Kirk's slow burn over his Chicken Sandwich is also classic.
His coffee was lookin' a little... fuzzy, as well.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #1816
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's impossible to believe they would put a former president in an actual prison. I could imagine something like house arrest in an actual house on a military base, or building a special facility on the grounds of a federal prison. But TFG won't be making license plates.

obviously
He has neither the intelligence nor patience
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #1817
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Revenge is Tribbles are a dish best served cold.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #1818
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
obviously
He has neither the intelligence nor patience
Also has trouble remembering which colors go where.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #1819
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Also has trouble remembering which colors go where.
The orange goes on the coloring book, Donnie, not all over your face. My goodness. Go get cleaned up before recess or you can't play on the merry-go-round with the other children.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #1820
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully, the next continuation of The Trump Presidency be The Trump Presidency: the Incarceration Years.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #1821
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hopefully, the next continuation of The Trump Presidency be The Trump Presidency: the Incarceration Years.
Do you think he knows what it means if someone offers to give you their dessert in prison?
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #1822
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Do you think he knows what it means if someone offers to give you their dessert in prison?
Hopefully not!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics