ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th May 2018, 09:18 AM   #1
wasapi
Illuminator

Could someone please explain this?

OK, this was weird, but please know that I am in no way suggesting anything paranormal.

The other morning as I was up drinking coffee, I thought I saw my phone message blinking red, which was strange because I always hear the phone. As I approached the phone, I noticed it was no longer blinking, but I decided to hit 'play-back-msg'.

Then it got strange. It was a message I had never heard before, left by a man I loved, a beautiful message, but he has been dead for 5 months.

So. Where to start. The machine is a vetech and about 2 years old, just a simple digital machine. I am wondering about the tape - as I'm unsure of how they work, but may have been the cause?

Thanks,
Julia
Old 27th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
OK, this was weird, but please know that I am in no way suggesting anything paranormal.

The other morning as I was up drinking coffee, I thought I saw my phone message blinking red, which was strange because I always hear the phone. As I approached the phone, I noticed it was no longer blinking, but I decided to hit 'play-back-msg'.

Then it got strange. It was a message I had never heard before, left by a man I loved, a beautiful message, but he has been dead for 5 months.

So. Where to start. The machine is a vetech and about 2 years old, just a simple digital machine. I am wondering about the tape - as I'm unsure of how they work, but may have been the cause?

Thanks,
Julia
I have saved messages on my phone from 25 years ago.

First question, had you heard it before?

Second question, was the message relevant to some time in the past when he was alive?

Third question, do you have to choose to erase messages?

Fourth question, is this a machine in your home or an answering service that you call in to get messages?

Fifth question, any chance you dreamed it?

I still feel for your loss. How are you doing?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th May 2018 at 10:20 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:54 AM   #3
mgidm86
Illuminator

Tape or digital these cheap machines probably have bugs in them. Who knows exactly.
Old 27th May 2018, 12:08 PM   #4
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I have saved messages on my phone from 25 years ago.

First question, had you heard it before?

Second question, was the message relevant to some time in the past when he was alive?

Third question, do you have to choose to erase messages?

Fourth question, is this a machine in your home or an answering service that you call in to get messages?

Fifth question, any chance you dreamed it?

I still feel for your loss. How are you doing?
Thank you. No, I had not heard the message before that I can recall. It was a simple, sweet message saying he was thinking of me, and missed me. The machine is a cheap one in my home for about 2 years. Yes, I choose what to keep and what to erase. I have 2 of his messages that I have saved, but they were made towards the end of his life, and I can hear the pain in his voice. Not the message I heard recently.

And no, I was up, dressed, having a cup of coffee, so I was not dreaming.

There were certain things about the timing of when I heard the message, that makes it a profound and interesting coincidence. But a coincidence just the same.
Old 27th May 2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Does it have a time stamp? That would be interesting.

Hope it was more sweet than painful.
Old 27th May 2018, 01:12 PM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
No, I had not heard the message before that I can recall.
My guess is that you had heard it before, but lacking the significance it has now you'd forgotten it. I'd also go with coincidence, but hopefully one that brings back happy memories. My condolences for your loss.
Old 27th May 2018, 01:43 PM   #7
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Tape machines often have errors playing back messages. I've never had one as poignant as yours, though.

I have heard of people calling a loved one's cellphone just to hear their voice. An article I once read had a homicide detective wondering why people were calling the victim's phone. They were just doing it to hear his voice.

It sucks. I hope you are OK.
Old 27th May 2018, 03:37 PM   #8
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

my guess a well intentioned friend or relative may have recorded another recording they found/had and left it for you to find. Did the message reference you by name or was it a generic message?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 05:01 PM   #9
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Can you play it again? If so it is a real message. There should be a timestamp on it somewhere. Suggest you show it to someone.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 05:55 PM   #10
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
my guess a well intentioned friend or relative may have recorded another recording they found/had and left it for you to find. Did the message reference you by name or was it a generic message?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
He said my name, and it was not a generic message.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:54 AM   #11
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Sometimes the literal truth of the causal reason behind an experience just isn't relevant. In the end what matters is what the narrative means, not how it came to be written.

I could blather about spirits and supernatural causes, though that clearly wouldn't appeal to you or most people here including myself.

I could blather about how your unconscious mind perceived or remembered the message being there, despite your being unaware of this, and generated a minor hallucination of the blinking light as a way to bring it to your attention.

I could blather about ridiculously improbable random malfunctions in digital circuitry that cause an alert light to blink for no reason, then stop for no reason, then an old message somewhere in memory to play first for no reason when the play-back button is pressed, which message just happens to be beautiful and timely.

I could blather about an unlikely prank or well-intentioned manipulation to fake the message and/or contrive the experience of hearing it played back unexpectedly.

I could even blather about the relative likelihood of your having made the whole thing up.

In my opinion, any of those replies would be about equally (and intolerably) blathersome. Which isn't even a word, but should be. This points to something I regard as a limitation of skepticism, one that's ultimately responsible for some of its lack of prevalence. Not that some things can't be explained, which we expect because we don't always have enough information, and which is therefore not the valid excuse for woo that many people mistake it for. But rather, that some things needn't be.
Old 28th May 2018, 12:53 PM   #12
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Sometimes the literal truth of the causal reason behind an experience just isn't relevant. In the end what matters is what the narrative means, not how it came to be written.

I could blather about spirits and supernatural causes, though that clearly wouldn't appeal to you or most people here including myself.

I could blather about how your unconscious mind perceived or remembered the message being there, despite your being unaware of this, and generated a minor hallucination of the blinking light as a way to bring it to your attention.

I could blather about ridiculously improbable random malfunctions in digital circuitry that cause an alert light to blink for no reason, then stop for no reason, then an old message somewhere in memory to play first for no reason when the play-back button is pressed, which message just happens to be beautiful and timely.

I could blather about an unlikely prank or well-intentioned manipulation to fake the message and/or contrive the experience of hearing it played back unexpectedly.

I could even blather about the relative likelihood of your having made the whole thing up.

In my opinion, any of those replies would be about equally (and intolerably) blathersome. Which isn't even a word, but should be. This points to something I regard as a limitation of skepticism, one that's ultimately responsible for some of its lack of prevalence. Not that some things can't be explained, which we expect because we don't always have enough information, and which is therefore not the valid excuse for woo that many people mistake it for. But rather, that some things needn't be.
Thank you for this.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet