ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 27th May 2018, 10:51 AM   #1201
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,813
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Recall that people were so very proud that Stormy received the key to the City of West Hollywood because she heroically took 130k instead of speaking up when it might have made a difference.
No I don't. Can you quote anybody saying that?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:14 AM   #1202
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,093
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
No I don't. Can you quote anybody saying that?
For the record you did not have any comment whatsoever on the fact that the person that orchestrated the silly stunt has an extensive history of sexual harassment.

Can I quote anyone?

Sure

There are lots others too.
__________________
Under these circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over following up on the Midyear
-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:25 AM   #1203
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
For the record you did not have any comment whatsoever on the fact that the person that orchestrated the silly stunt has an extensive history of sexual harassment.
I didn't know Donald Trump orchestrated giving Stormy the key to West Hollywood.

Did you know that 20 women have accused him of sexual misconduct including two that have accused him of rape?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:30 AM   #1204
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,838
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
For the record you did not have any comment whatsoever on the fact that the person that orchestrated the silly stunt has an extensive history of sexual harassment.

Can I quote anyone?

Sure

There are lots others too.
LOL

What a curious source.
__________________
"We found no evidence that the conclusions by Department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations; rather, we determined that they were based on the prosecutors' assessment of the facts, the law, and past Department practice”
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #1205
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 11,153
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
For the record you did not have any comment whatsoever on the fact that the person that orchestrated the silly stunt has an extensive history of sexual harassment.

Can I quote anyone?

Sure

There are lots others too.
Citations to random bozos on the internet almost without fail are utterly meaningless data points. This one is no exception.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:54 AM   #1206
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 7,493
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
... The sleazebucket President had an affair with a porn star and rather than letting her tell the world about it paid her to keep quiet. Within a fortnight of the General Election. He had his bag man (Mikey The Fixer) pay her off out of a shell corporation set-up for just that purpose and 'lo and behold, within 18 months, that shell corporation was earning millions in access fees to get to see THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. This last part is what has to be hammered home... he was selling access to the head of the US Government.
You are attempting to argue matters of fact; Republicanism and its bedfellows are a matter of faith, as per here, or more pointedly here, as this comes up often enough.

Book'a Hicks, Chapter Billy Bob's Rant, Verse umpteenth: Thou shalt double down in the refusal to acknowledge valid and reliable observations so that you might continue to praise the Overlord, unblemished by nasty facts that speak of sin.

On-topic ETA: Go Stormy! Bare the facts!
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion. Spends that time videogaming.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 27th May 2018 at 11:57 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:12 PM   #1207
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,093
Instead of letting her tell the world?

Folks she hired a lawyer with a long history of representing people who were, let’s just say extortion adjacent.

There was nothing stopping the porn star from telling her story other than the fact she wanted the 130,000 pieces of silver.

Hilarious
__________________
Under these circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over following up on the Midyear
-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:23 PM   #1208
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,838
We're supposed to believe that she's the one that initiated the hush payment now?

__________________
"We found no evidence that the conclusions by Department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations; rather, we determined that they were based on the prosecutors' assessment of the facts, the law, and past Department practice”
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:40 PM   #1209
Parsman
Muse
 
Parsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Instead of letting her tell the world?

Folks she hired a lawyer with a long history of representing people who were, let’s just say extortion adjacent.

There was nothing stopping the porn star from telling her story other than the fact she wanted the 130,000 pieces of silver.

Hilarious
People who defend Trump over this are looking ridiculous or desperate. I am sure Mr Avenatti is not a nice guy. He is a lawyer after all. However Donald Trump is the man who slept with at least 2 erotic models/porn stars and paid hush money to cover it up. He is also the man accused by 20 women of abusive behaviour. He is the man who has rescinded sanctions against China just after money from China poured into one of his projects. Trump is the man who defrauded multiple small companies who did work for him by not paying them for the work done, and who defrauded desperate people by enrolling them in Trump "university" (itself a fraud as it was not a university and he was not allowed to call it such). For the record if Avenatti has done things against the law I hope he is prosecuted under said law. But like many others here I want Trump held to the same standard and prosecuted for any wrong doing he may have committed (hint - I think that is a lot more wrong doing than Avenatti has committed).
__________________
I was not; I have been; I am not; I am content - Epicurus

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 12:59 PM   #1210
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
People who defend Trump over this are looking ridiculous or desperate. I am sure Mr Avenatti is not a nice guy. He is a lawyer after all. However Donald Trump is the man who slept with at least 2 erotic models/porn stars and paid hush money to cover it up. He is also the man accused by 20 women of abusive behaviour. He is the man who has rescinded sanctions against China just after money from China poured into one of his projects. Trump is the man who defrauded multiple small companies who did work for him by not paying them for the work done, and who defrauded desperate people by enrolling them in Trump "university" (itself a fraud as it was not a university and he was not allowed to call it such). For the record if Avenatti has done things against the law I hope he is prosecuted under said law. But like many others here I want Trump held to the same standard and prosecuted for any wrong doing he may have committed (hint - I think that is a lot more wrong doing than Avenatti has committed).
In my mind Trump is a criminal probably hundreds of times over. I would bet every penny I have that Trump has been laundering money for the Russians for decades. That he was not only full aware of Cohen selling access but was part of the scheme. I'd also bet that Cohen paid off many women for Trump over the years. I also have NO DOUBT he was colluding with the Russians during the campaign.with Jared, Don Jr, Eric, Manafort, Flynn and Cohen doing all the work.

What Avenatti did or does may be actionable, they are not an assault on the integrity of the country and its institutions. We can't say that about Trump and his minions.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:21 PM   #1211
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,776
Curious that so far no one has commented on my thoughts in post 1208. That’s fine, but...

Folks, TBD condemning Trump (or praising, which I don’t recall seeing though I could be wrong) adds nothing to the discussion. It’s pretty commonly accepted that DT is a POS. Who needs one more voice on that subject. Much more thought provoking is the Avenatti/Stormy tact as a possibly quite flawed way of taking him on.

Unless I’m misreading the message. If so, yeah Trump bad. (Enlightening!)
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:34 PM   #1212
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,813
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
For the record you did not have any comment whatsoever on the fact that the person that orchestrated the silly stunt has an extensive history of sexual harassment.

Can I quote anyone?

Sure

There are lots others too.
Presuming you had the evidence before you made the claim, I'm curious as to why you follow this person's twitter feed. He's not someone I'd have pictured you following. What is it about him that appeals to you?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:37 PM   #1213
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,093
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Presuming you had the evidence before you made the claim, I'm curious as to why you follow this person's twitter feed. He's not someone I'd have pictured you following. What is it about him that appeals to you?
Literally nothing about the substantive point of my post then.
__________________
Under these circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over following up on the Midyear
-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 01:47 PM   #1214
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Curious that so far no one has commented on my thoughts in post 1208. That’s fine, but...

Folks, TBD condemning Trump (or praising, which I don’t recall seeing though I could be wrong) adds nothing to the discussion. It’s pretty commonly accepted that DT is a POS. Who needs one more voice on that subject. Much more thought provoking is the Avenatti/Stormy tact as a possibly quite flawed way of taking him on.

Unless I’m misreading the message. If so, yeah Trump bad. (Enlightening!)
I think your point in #1208 is wrong and I think you are wrong in this post.. No one is 'rallying' around Avenatti and Stormy. Her affair is not going to bring the orange sleaze down. And Avenatti is simply delivering the truth. You don't blame or credit the FED-X guy for what is in your Amazon delivery do you? But your happy he does.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:04 PM   #1215
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 17,751
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Curious that so far no one has commented on my thoughts in post 1208. That’s fine, but...

Folks, TBD condemning Trump (or praising, which I don’t recall seeing though I could be wrong) adds nothing to the discussion. It’s pretty commonly accepted that DT is a POS. Who needs one more voice on that subject. Much more thought provoking is the Avenatti/Stormy tact as a possibly quite flawed way of taking him on.

Unless I’m misreading the message. If so, yeah Trump bad. (Enlightening!)
It is more than that. It looks to be unequivocal evidence of illegal activity by Trump's lawyer, and Trump's campaign - and less unequivocally, but quite possibly by Trump himself.

The fact that Avenatti is probably a bit of a bounder is not really the issue.

The Russia story is complex, this is easy to grasp and has stayed in the media for some time, and has a very easily identifiable set of protagonists.

It also makes Trump look pretty shady.

-----
Completely changing the subject - an interesting article about the company Cohen kept through his career

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/tr...ael-cohen-kept

Quote:

A distinctive pattern emerged early in Cohen’s career, according to an examination by WNYC and ProPublica for the Trump, Inc. podcast: Many of the people who crossed paths with Cohen when he worked in Queens and Brooklyn were disciplined, disbarred, accused or convicted of crimes.

Cohen, 51, has always emerged unscathed — until now. Last week, his Rockefeller Center office was raided by federal agents, as were his home, hotel room, safety deposit box, and two cell phones. Cohen is under criminal investigation by federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York. According to court papers, investigators are examining whether he committed fraud and showed a “lack of truthfulness.”


Back on to Regnad Kcin's observation/question:

Quote:
Cohen has for decades had close personal and professional relationships with many citizens of the former Soviet Union. He ended up as point men on Trump’s deals there and also turned up in the notorious Russia “dossier.” He has routinely been described as an indispensable man to Donald Trump.
Quote:
Cohen was never a traditional in-house lawyer for Trump. He has been described as both a “fixer” and a “dealmaker” — and it seems he embraced both roles. “He did jobs for Donald that no one else would do,” said one person who worked with Cohen, “especially not a lawyer. He did a lot of these jobs.”
Quote:
Behind the scenes, Cohen was still attempting to make deals for Trump in the former Soviet Union. Cohen drafted a letter of intent with a Moscow investment company to build Trump World Tower Moscow.

Cohen’s partner in the deal was Felix Sater, a Trump associate who had been convicted of assault and securities fraud and had widely reported connections to the Russian mob. “Let’s make this happen and build a Trump Moscow,” Sater wrote in an email to Cohen. “And possibly fix relations between the countries by showing everyone commerce and business are much better and more practical than politics.”
I am missing parts out but these show that Cohen might very well be the thread that starts unrolling the links with Russian organised crime. As well as probably unethical (and possibly illegal?) practices with Davidson in arranging NDAs for covering up sex stories.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:21 PM   #1216
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,776
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I think your point in #1208 is wrong and I think you are wrong in this post.. No one is 'rallying' around Avenatti and Stormy. Her affair is not going to bring the orange sleaze down. And Avenatti is simply delivering the truth. You don't blame or credit the FED-X guy for what is in your Amazon delivery do you? But your happy he does.
I may be wrong. I confessed right away that I am speculating.

But here’s the thing: hundreds into thousands of posts in the thread and the first of the series, I’d think it clear as a dart to the forehead that no one is going to browbeat TBD into talking about what they want him to talk about. That long ago having been settled, what’s left? I’ve proposed a rationale for his tenacious focus on what might actually be considered a sympathetic point of view re: Trump’s Trumpishness.

Sports Analogy Time: I don’t want my coach to coddle me, I want him/her to address my weaknesses and help me to eliminate them.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 27th May 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:30 PM   #1217
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,071
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I may be wrong. I confessed right away that I am speculating.

But here’s the thing: hundreds into thousands of posts in the thread and the first of the series, I’d think it clear as a dart to the forehead that no one is going to browbeat TBD into talking about what they want him to talk about. That long ago having been settled, what’s left? I’ve proposed a rationale for his tenacious focus on what might actually be considered a sympathetic point of view re: Trump’s Trumpishness.

Sports Analogy Time: I don’t want my coach to coddle me, I want him/her to address my weaknesses and help me to eliminate them.
Is that what you think they were doing?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:30 PM   #1218
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,813
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Literally nothing about the substantive point of my post then.
There was a substantive point?

I'm mostly curious as to why you follow that guy on twitter. It's not what I would have imagined from you.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:40 PM   #1219
Cabbage
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
people are apoplectic that we are talking about him
This is inaccurate. People are wondering why you are apoplectic about Avenatti's corruption, yet dismissive of Trump's corruption.

And I, personally, am quite amused by your curious refusal to address this inconsistency.

Hmmm...just what circumstances could result in such behavior.........?

LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:59 PM   #1220
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,093
Originally Posted by logger View Post
It’s clear at least one has praised him, I could be wrong.
Of course they did, remember how he was playing Trump and Cohen like a bongo, and how he graduated number one in his class and blah blah blah...

Curiously now people don’t want to talk about him....

Curious....
__________________
Under these circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over following up on the Midyear
-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 03:06 PM   #1221
Cabbage
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Curiously now people don’t want to talk about him....

Curious....
...

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
This is inaccurate. People are wondering why you are apoplectic about Avenatti's corruption, yet dismissive of Trump's corruption.

And I, personally, am quite amused by your curious refusal to address this inconsistency.

Hmmm...just what circumstances could result in such behavior.........?

LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 03:08 PM   #1222
Cabbage
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 382
...To be followed by another curious silence.

LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 03:43 PM   #1223
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,640
Originally Posted by logger View Post
It’s clear at least one has praised him, I could be wrong.
Well, is it clear, or are you wrong? It can't be both.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 03:45 PM   #1224
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,093
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, is it clear, or are you wrong? It can't be both.
It is absolutely clear.
__________________
Under these circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over following up on the Midyear
-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 06:39 PM   #1225
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 38,103
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The curious thing is that in the first half of the thread, people were singing Avenatti’s praises. And when I show that he is relatively incompetent and a next level sleaze bag, now people are apoplectic that we are talking about him, even though his haracter and fitness is directly at issue right now
Not really. This is actually another straw man (a term you've used often enough that hopefully you'll have learned by now what it actually means). People were not singing his praises so much as "cheering him on". Many have said so. It's the flip side of your conservative coin... "as long as it makes Trump look like the lying idiot that he really is" and/or "hey, if it takes a weasel lawyer with a showboating streak and little sense of decorum to keep this stuff in the public eye, I'm cool with it".

We'll now pause while you go searching for posts that you can cherry pick to prove your point. Ha ha. That'll sure be funny and another waste of time. Why not poll the participants, instead?

Show of hands (votes only valid after this post):

A) Don't care if Avenatti is a weasel as long as it exposes Trump to criticism and causes cringing in his devoted supporters.
B) Hey, he's a great lawyer and great human being. Who hasn't had several failed businesses, legal judgements against him, a divorce, and a negative comment in their high school yearbook. I'm nominating him for the Nobel Prize for Lawyering.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:31 PM   #1226
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,010
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not really. This is actually another straw man (a term you've used often enough that hopefully you'll have learned by now what it actually means). People were not singing his praises so much as "cheering him on". Many have said so. It's the flip side of your conservative coin... "as long as it makes Trump look like the lying idiot that he really is" and/or "hey, if it takes a weasel lawyer with a showboating streak and little sense of decorum to keep this stuff in the public eye, I'm cool with it".

We'll now pause while you go searching for posts that you can cherry pick to prove your point. Ha ha. That'll sure be funny and another waste of time. Why not poll the participants, instead?

Show of hands (votes only valid after this post):

A) Don't care if Avenatti is a weasel as long as it exposes Trump to criticism and causes cringing in his devoted supporters.
B) Hey, he's a great lawyer and great human being. Who hasn't had several failed businesses, legal judgements against him, a divorce, and a negative comment in their high school yearbook. I'm nominating him for the Nobel Prize for Lawyering.
C) Don't care if Avenatti is a weasel or a saint, since the Stormy lawsuit is merely a distraction. Avenatti has publicized some interesting matters regarding Cohen, but I reckon Mueller was aware of those things already.

I'm happy to wait and see what Mueller turns up.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:32 PM   #1227
newyorkguy
Philosopher
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 9,401
I don't care if Avenatti is a weasel because in a case like this I don't see the relevance. In fact you could argue, when you go up against a mutt like Dumpster you want the nastiest lawyer you can find. Someone capable of getting down and dirty with the likes of The Dunce and Mikey the Fixer.

But I still wouldn't vote for Michael Avenatti if he ran for president. Or dogcatcher, for that matter.

Second, it might be helpful to quote the OP that stated this whole discussion. This is from post #1:
Quote:
I believe this Stormy Daniels topic is specific enough to merit its own thread. I doubt the mods want to dig through and move posts over, but perhaps we can consolidate future posts on that topic here. In summary of current events:

Trumps lawyer, Cohen, claimed to have paid Stormy Daniels 130k of his own money for her to sign a NDA regarding any intimate details about her and Donald Trump. Daniels and her attorney are now claiming the NDA is invalid.
The thread was started in order to break out the discussion about the porn star suing The Dunce from the Trump presidency thread. Been a bit of a derailment I'd say.

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derailed!.jpg (149.3 KB, 8 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:40 PM   #1228
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,640
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It is absolutely clear.
I think logger is fairly capable of answering questions directed to him.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:42 PM   #1229
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not really. This is actually another straw man (a term you've used often enough that hopefully you'll have learned by now what it actually means). People were not singing his praises so much as "cheering him on". Many have said so. It's the flip side of your conservative coin... "as long as it makes Trump look like the lying idiot that he really is" and/or "hey, if it takes a weasel lawyer with a showboating streak and little sense of decorum to keep this stuff in the public eye, I'm cool with it".

We'll now pause while you go searching for posts that you can cherry pick to prove your point. Ha ha. That'll sure be funny and another waste of time. Why not poll the participants, instead?

Show of hands (votes only valid after this post):

A) Don't care if Avenatti is a weasel as long as it exposes Trump to criticism and causes cringing in his devoted supporters.
B) Hey, he's a great lawyer and great human being. Who hasn't had several failed businesses, legal judgements against him, a divorce, and a negative comment in their high school yearbook. I'm nominating him for the Nobel Prize for Lawyering.
I don't know what kind of a human being Avenatti is and for these purposes I don't care. As an attorney I expect him to be a bit of an attack dog. I've never known a good one not to be.

About the only thing I care about Avenatti is that he tells the truth about Trump and he keeps it up. I want him to rip Cohen, Giuliani and Trump into barely recognizable pieces of meat. That doesn't mean I want him to become the family pet. He's probably not suited for that.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:53 PM   #1230
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,776
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't want to be condescending, but you can't be serious?
Of course I’m serious. I’m discussing something, fairly clearly laid out (I had hoped anyway). It’s a discussion board not a game board.

Quote:
TBD is NEVER EVER going to address the thread honestly.
TBD is not going to address what you want him to. So instead of frustrating yourself with continued calls for him to talk about something else, maybe talk about what he’s offering up. Or not.

Quote:
This is a disciplined tactic or strategy to make Avenatti the villain and not address the issues associated with Trump, Cohen or the case. If he gets people defending Avenatti he's won because he changed the topic.
See, that’s the thing: it may be a “disciplined tactic or strategy,” but you don’t know, you can’t know, if it’s the one you’re specifying.

Forget The Big Dog; you cannot get into his head. You don’t know what he’s up to or not. No one of us can be certain of anyone else posting. The words about Avenatti, Trump, Stormy, JFK, Bigfoot or any figure and their relation to any particular line of reasoning are what is to be batted back and forth.

So. Avenatti. Is he worthy of support or should he be shunned?
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 07:55 PM   #1231
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,838
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not really. This is actually another straw man (a term you've used often enough that hopefully you'll have learned by now what it actually means). People were not singing his praises so much as "cheering him on". Many have said so. It's the flip side of your conservative coin... "as long as it makes Trump look like the lying idiot that he really is" and/or "hey, if it takes a weasel lawyer with a showboating streak and little sense of decorum to keep this stuff in the public eye, I'm cool with it".

We'll now pause while you go searching for posts that you can cherry pick to prove your point. Ha ha. That'll sure be funny and another waste of time. Why not poll the participants, instead?

Show of hands (votes only valid after this post):

A) Don't care if Avenatti is a weasel as long as it exposes Trump to criticism and causes cringing in his devoted supporters.
B) Hey, he's a great lawyer and great human being. Who hasn't had several failed businesses, legal judgements against him, a divorce, and a negative comment in their high school yearbook. I'm nominating him for the Nobel Prize for Lawyering.
A of course. Duh
__________________
"We found no evidence that the conclusions by Department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations; rather, we determined that they were based on the prosecutors' assessment of the facts, the law, and past Department practice”
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 08:43 PM   #1232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Of course I’m serious. I’m discussing something, fairly clearly laid out (I had hoped anyway). It’s a discussion board not a game board.

TBD is not going to address what you want him to. So instead of frustrating yourself with continued calls for him to talk about something else, maybe talk about what he’s offering up. Or not.

See, that’s the thing: it may be a “disciplined tactic or strategy,” but you don’t know, you can’t know, if it’s the one you’re specifying.

Forget The Big Dog; you cannot get into his head. You don’t know what he’s up to or not. No one of us can be certain of anyone else posting. The words about Avenatti, Trump, Stormy, JFK, Bigfoot or any figure and their relation to any particular line of reasoning are what is to be batted back and forth.

So. Avenatti. Is he worthy of support or should he be shunned?
I'm not really sure what the highlighted means. But I know exactly what TBD is doing. And I'm not trying to get into his head. He's not letting anyone into it.

As I said TBD is talking about Avenatti because the case for Trump and Cohen sucks. He is simply attempting to change the subject and make Avenatti the villain because he doesn't want to talk about Trump. He wants us talking about Avenatti. That way he doesn't have to talk about our scumbag President and his scumbag attorneys and their crime and corruption.

And like with TBD, I could give a rat's ass about Avenatti. If you want to discuss Trump, Stormy Daniels Cohen payoffs, pay for play, or Essential Consultants LLC I'm up for it. The rest is bull crap and I have ZERO interest.

Are we clear?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume

Last edited by acbytesla; 27th May 2018 at 09:16 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 09:22 PM   #1233
Lurch
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 430
For Foolmewunz's informal poll, I check off "A". I care not if Avenatti is a shady lawyer, as long as he legitimately exposes Trump and co. for the grifting scum they are. I can all to easily regard Avenatti as my friend because he's the enemy of my (and most everyone's) enemy. The more dangerous infection must be dealt with *first*, and right now it's the poisonous orange fungus and its clinging fringe of swamp slime.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 09:28 PM   #1234
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,071
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
How have you come to that conclusion?
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
For Foolmewunz's informal poll, I check off "A". I care not if Avenatti is a shady lawyer, as long as he legitimately exposes Trump and co. for the grifting scum they are. I can all to easily regard Avenatti as my friend because he's the enemy of my (and most everyone's) enemy. The more dangerous infection must be dealt with *first*, and right now it's the poisonous orange fungus and its clinging fringe of swamp slime.
Thank you for admitting that and proving my point.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 10:48 PM   #1235
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 17,016
I check C in the informal poll I think it's a distraction, only it amazes me that with all the depth of Trumps sleaze it exposes to media frenzy, Trump defenders double down on him like they believe those Jesus Guiding Trumps Hand memes. Attacking the other lawyer in a case that never should have happened if Trump had a smidgen of moral rectitude.

Face it folks, you elected the sleaziest President in history. Warren G. Harding, Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon are minor league to this guy. A porn star, paid off before election, is just the slimiest act in a slimy history. It's funny. And sad. Because in your quest to MAGA, you made America a laughingstock.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:37 PM   #1236
dann
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,982
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Because in your quest to MAGA, you made America a laughingstock.

Well, yes, to some extent.
But most of the world seems to be able to distinguish between Trump and the USA:
Danish game makes fun of Trump: Order of Trump
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:40 PM   #1237
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,094
Somehow I think Trump is going to come around to admiring Avenatti if he doesn't already.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:44 PM   #1238
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I check C in the informal poll I think it's a distraction, only it amazes me that with all the depth of Trumps sleaze it exposes to media frenzy, Trump defenders double down on him like they believe those Jesus Guiding Trumps Hand memes. Attacking the other lawyer in a case that never should have happened if Trump had a smidgen of moral rectitude.

Face it folks, you elected the sleaziest President in history. Warren G. Harding, Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon are minor league to this guy. A porn star, paid off before election, is just the slimiest act in a slimy history. It's funny. And sad. Because in your quest to MAGA, you made America a laughingstock.
I don't believe paying off the porn star is Trump's sleaziest act. Not even in the top ten. If the worst thing I could say about Trump is his inability to stay faithful to his wife, I could live with it.

It's his inability to be faithful to his country and its ideals. He is boiling the frog. He attacks the Dems or anyone he opposes with what he does. This is a man who is a hundred times worse than how bad I thought he would be. He has turned lying into an art form. He said he would drain the swamp? What so he could replace it with a much stinkier and bigger swamp?

I believe in what Jefferson, Madison and Hamilton did when they built the foundation of this country. Trump not only doesn't understand any of that, he is hell bent on destroying it He is a criminal. He's a thief. He's so damn corrupt it is sickening. It almost seems as if people don't care about the truth anymore and that is frightening.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:49 PM   #1239
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 7,493
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The curious thing is that in the first half of the thread, people were singing Avenatti’s praises. And when I show that he is relatively incompetent and a next level sleaze bag, now people are apoplectic that we are talking about him, even though his haracter and fitness is directly at issue right now
Quite very simply, no. You have no point, to be blunt. No bearing on the facts of the case, aka those elusive morsels of wonder that seem so far beyond alt-right reach.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion. Spends that time videogaming.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 11:55 PM   #1240
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,093
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Quite very simply, no. You have no point, to be blunt. No bearing on the facts of the case, aka those elusive morsels of wonder that seem so far beyond alt-right reach.
I linked the opposition to his pro hac vice motion earlier in this thread.

I have explained its significance at length

Oh well..
__________________
Under these circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over following up on the Midyear
-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.