ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #641
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
BTW. What I find interesting is how posters here use insults about my morality to denigrate any arguments I might put forward. How rich.
Nonsense. The criticism of your "arguments" is not dependent upon the discussions about your integrity. Please curtail your gaslighting. As Paul Bethke found out, it doesn't work terribly well on a forum where people can go back and read what you wrote and aren't afraid to do so.

Last edited by halleyscomet; Today at 05:21 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:20 AM   #642
Peregrinus
Muse

What I find interesting is how posters here use insults about my morality to denigrate any arguments I might put forward. How rich.
Your morality, so long as you keep it to yourself, is your own lookout and is of no moment to the rest of us. Without plodding through the preceding exchanges I can recall nowhere that a poster has used any aspect of your morality to question the flim-flammery of your "arguments". Your "arguments" (see the preceding pages) are actually unevidenced assertions based largely on woo-woo. That those aware of and alert to woo-woo in its various forms should take you to task for for it hardly qualifies as a surprise. That you should infer insults where none exist is just one more stumbling block for you and your fantasies.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #643
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Let me say that I was surprised when the Tarot cards predicted a preemptive nuclear strike.
You've shown no evidence that "the cards" do any such thing. The evidence points instead to you claiming the cards as some sort of externality for what is really just you making guesses you can spin later to have been predictions. I've seen many charlatans follow the same model: an external reference that must be "properly" interpreted by the special talent. Successes are attributed to the talent while failure is blamed on the externality over which the talent is supposed to have little if any control. The interpretational step allows for the vagary that empowers the postdiction.

Quote:
The moral high ground is that "the US was FORCED to do it".
Except for the part where a nuclear first strike is simply not militarily credible under any such circumstances, where the Congress is now actively seeking a way to prevent him from attempting it unilaterally, and where the president is being roundly criticized for his tone deafness in international affairs because of his actions at the U.N. All of this disputes a claim that the U.S. would have a moral justification for starting a nuclear war.

Quote:
What I find interesting is how posters here use insults about my morality to denigrate any arguments I might put forward. How rich.
You haven't made any arguments with any intrinsic merit on this point. In fact you've simply chastised your critics for not respecting your personal insight into international politics and military strategy. As I wrote above, you've demonstrated a willingness to profess expertise you simply do not have. Occam's Razor suggests this is just one more instance of such bluster. In a larger scope, most of your arguments on every point simply insist that you be given respect for special abilities you cannot demonstrate you have. You have said you're not here to get attention, but that's all I can determine you're after. You seem bent on baiting negative attention from a class you've designated as an adversary. Rather transparent trolling, if you ask me.

As for morality, that's a broad topic. The narrow focus here is on what seems to be a pattern among end-times claimants. They seem to relish the idea of global catastrophe and suffering. Some justifiably find this appalling, especially coming from folks who often also allege their own overall moral superiority.

Since insults are against the Member Agreement, please do us the favor of reporting for moderation those posts you believe contain actual insults. If they disappear, we'll consider that evidence in your favor. If they do not, we'll have to conclude that your accusation of insult was just hyperbole intended to support the victimization complex to which I allude above.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #644
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Ha ha ha ha,
I have studied and used the tarot for a very long time.
I don't recall the combinations that say 'preemptive nuclear strike'.

Furiously flips through Crowley and Motherpeace.... Nope!

Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; Today at 08:32 AM.
Dancing David is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #645
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Ha ha ha ha,

Perhaps THESE are the cards ParkSpetic is thinking about?

http://fusionlacedillusions.com/inde...h-tarot-cards/
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #646
Peregrinus
Muse

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Perhaps THESE are the cards ParkSpetic is thinking about?

http://fusionlacedillusions.com/inde...h-tarot-cards/
Since all this tarot blather is about the future, I would have expected Trump to be on the Hanged Man card.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #647
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Since all this tarot blather is about the future, I would have expected Trump to be on the Hanged Man card.

Your ignorance is showing because I assume you are interpreting the card in a negative way. That said, you may have just picked the correct card.

The card of the Hanged Man is usually interpreted as surrender to a Creative Intelligence that runs the universe. See the halo on the man's head, and his contentment!

He has an advantage over those poor sods who are without guidance in the current chaos - a good man to have as a leader.
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #648
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Ha ha ha ha,

Prove your claim.

Do you know how to do yes or no answers to questions?

If so, ask the questions I asked, and tell us your results.

Or are you one of the many many fraudsters and con artists?
Old Today, 12:03 PM   #649
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
(snip)

Since insults are against the Member Agreement, please do us the favor of reporting for moderation those posts you believe contain actual insults. If they disappear, we'll consider that evidence in your favor. If they do not, we'll have to conclude that your accusation of insult was just hyperbole intended to support the victimization complex to which I allude above.

Those calling me a liar and a troll. If the moderators want to remove them they can. A couple already have been removed, together with my response.

A victim must have feelings of victimization. I do not. I know the insults are baseless and wrong. And are just done to get under my skin - they do not. I am a fighter and am tempted to fight back in kind, but that is against the rules as you point out.
Old Today, 12:08 PM   #650
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Propaganda intended to make the coming US attack seem "moral".

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09...r-reveals.html

FEMALE PRISONERS IN NORTH KOREAN CAMPS RAPED AND EXECUTED, THEIR BABIES FED TO DOGS, REPORT SAYS
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #651
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

If the moderators want to remove them they can.
The point of the exercise is not to have the posts removed, but to test your characterization of them. You say you're being insulted, but you're not necessarily an impartial judge of that. Submitting them to someone else's judgment helps achieve a more objective view. Link to the posts you claim insult you, and I will report them for moderation so that we can have another set of eyes looking at your accusations.

Quote:
A victim must have feelings of victimization. I do not. I know the insults are baseless and wrong. And are just done to get under my skin - they do not.
They clearly do, because you talk a lot about how much your skeptical critics are inappropriately persecuting you. If you feel the need to mention it so frequently, then it clearly is an ongoing concern for you. If you were really as indifferent to it as you seem to want people to believe, we would expect to see more indifference instead of a stream of comments assuring us how indifferent you are.

Quote:
I am a fighter...
An image that's so much easier to create if you can portray yourself as a plucky victim.

In evaluating your claims and arguments, we have to consider the broader scope of why you return to a skeptics' forum time and again making claims of the supernatural without the kind of evidence you should expect skeptics to appreciate. It obviously is not to participate in the skeptical process, so we have to consider that it fits into some agenda you're bringing with you.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #652
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Propaganda intended to make the coming US attack seem "moral".
To whom? Outside the U.S., Fox News is considered tabloid journalism, if it is considered at all. If the morality of a nuclear first strike is to be judged on the world stage, Fox News is not a credible witness.
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #653
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Prove your claim.

Do you know how to do yes or no answers to questions?

If so, ask the questions I asked, and tell us your results.

Or are you one of the many many fraudsters and con artists?
I have done thousands of readings starting back in 1975.

The symbols of the tarot are not exactly amenable to yes and no questions, if I was desirous of a yes/no answer I would certainly use a different means of divination.

Most experienced practitioners have to develop a relationship with the oracle, because they tend to answer the questions that the oracle wants to answer. Which may not be the question posed by the querent or a practitioner.

But it you track your questions, answers and outcomes and it works for you that is fine.

I do not charge money and only have done readings for others at their request. Something about an oath to 'not use the mystic arts to impress foolish people'.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:58 PM   #654
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Those calling me a liar and a troll. If the moderators want to remove them they can. A couple already have been removed, together with my response.
Moderators only act upon reported posts...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy