IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , kent hovind , lawsuits , Rationalwiki

Old 28th February 2014, 04:03 PM   #1
catsmate
No longer the 1

Talking Kent Hovind sues Rationalwiki.

So everyone's favourite tax evading felon, young Earth creationist, doctoral faker and failed dinosaur amusement park owner had decided to object to being described as a "convicted tax fraudster" (despite being convicted of 58 charges relating to tax evasion and currently being in prison) and of engaging in filing of fraudulent liens against property seized by the US government to pay his outstanding debts (despite doing just this on conjunction with Alex Matthews [another convicted fraudster] and facing additional charges for so doing).

This should end well. Hopefully in additional to the fresh contempt of court charges Hovind if facing this nonsense should help keep him in jail beyond 2015.

"Dr" Dino's complaint.

The offending RW article on "Dr" Dino..
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I love pro se complaints. It's like watching Twin Peaks backwards.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Katdai
Student

My wide legal knowledge (obtained mostly through daytime television) reminds me the best defense for libel/defamation is the indeed the truth. I too suspect this will end fairly well, just not for Hovind.
I'm curious. His complaint claims that the Rationalwiki page shows fairly high on his Google search. Does his browser not have a News result section?
Katdai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 07:48 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Mr Hovind has ever heard of "the Spycatcher effect"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 08:28 PM   #5
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

I look forward to reading the defendant's eventual response (but that assumes the defendant is ever actually served with the complaint).

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 09:03 PM   #6
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't had this much fun with legal stuff for a while. I wonder if it reads better translated into Corn God code.

I love that the plaintiff intends to obtain John Doe's address during discovery. That's bound to go well.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 09:23 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I love that the plaintiff intends to obtain John Doe's address during discovery.
Yeah. I looked at that, and thought to myself "Good luck with that!"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Easy peasy!

John D. Doe
1234 Somewhere Dr
Anytown, SS (some state)
90210 ('cause that's the only one I know)
USA (where else would he live?)
Old 28th February 2014, 09:31 PM   #9
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Look's like RationalWiki has deleted the posted copy of the complaint.

jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 04:07 AM   #10
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I understand that 'pro se' is legalese for 'unmedicated and litigious'
Old 1st March 2014, 05:59 AM   #11
catsmate
No longer the 1

I wonder if Mr Hovind has ever heard of "the Spycatcher effect"
It's The Streisland Effect nowadays.
Books are so, twentieth century.

I haven't had this much fun with legal stuff for a while. I wonder if it reads better translated into Corn God code.

I love that the plaintiff intends to obtain John Doe's address during discovery. That's bound to go well.
Well the last time someone sued them RW cooperated.

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
Look's like RationalWiki has deleted the posted copy of the complaint.
Try here.
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
That describes Hovind excellently.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 06:54 AM   #12
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Does his complaint begin with the immortal line
Quote:
Hello, my name is Kent Hovind.
?

(For anyone who's never seen it, that's how he begins his "Doctoral Dissertation.")

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 07:28 AM   #13
Dissolution
Master Poster

So he's complaining about a reference to the actual charges that he's locked up for right now?
What a fantastic example of ludicrous litigation.
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 07:35 AM   #14
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I believe it has been well-established in the federal court system that the word is "Prose", as in:
Here comes Plaintiff George R. Simpson, Prose, and files this complaint....
Aren't you an attorney? You should already know this stuff. Sheeez.

Old 1st March 2014, 07:39 AM   #15
billdun262
Student

Maybe he thinks a jury of his peers should consist entirely of other YECs. He might win under those circumstances.
billdun262 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 08:02 AM   #16
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by billdun262 View Post
Maybe he thinks a jury of his peers should consist entirely of other YECs. He might win under those circumstances.

I don't think he demanded a jury trial in his complaint. Odd.

Old 1st March 2014, 08:46 AM   #17
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 09:07 AM   #18
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Does his complaint begin with the immortal line
?
Quote:
Quote:
Hello, my name is Kent Hovind.
(For anyone who's never seen it, that's how he begins his "Doctoral Dissertation.")
That was the very first thing I thought! Maybe they should use criminal instead of fraudster?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 12:03 PM   #19
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
So everyone's favourite tax evading felon, young Earth creationist, doctoral faker and failed dinosaur amusement park owner had decided to object to being described as a "convicted tax fraudster" (despite being convicted of 58 charges relating to tax evasion and currently being in prison) and of engaging in filing of fraudulent liens against property seized by the US government to pay his outstanding debts (despite doing just this on conjunction with Alex Matthews [another convicted fraudster] and facing additional charges for so doing).

This should end well. Hopefully in additional to the fresh contempt of court charges Hovind if facing this nonsense should help keep him in jail beyond 2015.

"Dr" Dino's complaint.

Ah, that DID cheer up a chilly, rainy Saturday afternoon.
Well, that news and a decent Rioja.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 12:08 PM   #20
tsig
a carbon based life-form

"Dr" Dino's complaint.

Looks like RW is shakin' in their boots.

(with laughter)
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2014, 09:35 AM   #21
BardKesnit
Critical Thinker

Actually, (if I'm reading it right), that isn't as weird as it sounds. When he filed, Hovid didn't know the name of the author of the RW article about him. However, the author is a reasonable defendant. So he included the author under a made-up name, with the intent of serving the author once he gets the name. He other option would have been to just sue RW, ask for the author's name in discovery, then petition the court to join the author to the original suit.

Originally Posted by Dissolution View Post
So he's complaining about a reference to the actual charges that he's locked up for right now?
What a fantastic example of ludicrous litigation.
Again, this may be me misreading things... The suit isn't about RW calling him a crook for the crimes he was convicted of. From the RW article and the complaint, it looks like he put liens on his property to keep the government from seizing it because of his fraud conviction. (If there is a mortgage on the land, the "owner" of the land isn't Hovid; it's the entity that holds the mortgage.)

Maybe putting those liens was the fraud that landed him in prison; I don't know.

I don't think he demanded a jury trial in his complaint. Odd.
He didn't. That is weird, now that you mention it.
BardKesnit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:26 AM   #22
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by BardKesnit View Post
Maybe putting those liens was the fraud that landed him in prison; I don't know.
He's locked up for 50+ counts of tax code violations.

His complaint argues that RationalWiki called him a "tax fraudster", but he was not convicted of tax fraud. While technically true I suppose, I hope the courts have the good sense to realize that words aren't narrowly defined as having just one meaning, and that meaning isn't solely what's printed in Black's Law Dictionary.

Hovind's issue with the liens is similarly twisted around the word, fraudulent, having a singular, legalistic meaning.

IANAL, NDIPOOTI

Old 2nd March 2014, 10:55 AM   #23
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by BardKesnit View Post
Again, this may be me misreading things... The suit isn't about RW calling him a crook for the crimes he was convicted of. From the RW article and the complaint, it looks like he put liens on his property to keep the government from seizing it because of his fraud conviction. (If there is a mortgage on the land, the "owner" of the land isn't Hovid; it's the entity that holds the mortgage.)

No, his fraudulent liens (so described by the US government lawyers) are a new-ish matter that should extend his jail time somewhat.
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:59 AM   #24
showmevegas
Scholar

It will all wash away
showmevegas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:34 PM   #25
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by showmevegas View Post
It will all wash away
Is god planning a second Flood?
Old 2nd March 2014, 03:19 PM   #26
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

The first thing that came to my mind was Arkell v Pressdram.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2014, 03:46 PM   #27
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Ahead of his time.

Quote:
Hovind has also stated an opposition to democracy, saying: "If Evolution is true, there is no Creator, so laws come from man's opinion. That is called a democracy, which is a terrible form of government. Democracies always degenerate into dictatorships. In America, it is sad to say, has become a democracy."[122] Hovind also stated: "democracy is evil and contrary to God's law"[103] and "democracy is a horrible form of government."
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:36 AM   #28
Dissolution
Master Poster

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Going by that link, did Hovind ever hear a conspiracy that he didn't like?
The guy will believe anything, as long as there's no evidence to support it.
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:12 AM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

And a dollar to be made with it on the US evangelical talk circuit.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:29 AM   #30
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Evangelical truthers who hate democracy, and think "certain people" were warned about 9/11. PressTV, I think I just found your next correspondent.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:31 AM   #31
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I hope this doesn't cost RW too much time/money before getting laughed out of court.
Old 4th March 2014, 01:56 PM   #32
catsmate
No longer the 1

RW have wiki-ed the lawsuit. It's amusing how pathetic and incompetent "Dr." Dino is.
Old 4th March 2014, 02:31 PM   #33
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

RW have wiki-ed the lawsuit. It's amusing how pathetic and incompetent "Dr." Dino is.
FWIW, the annotation challenging Hovind's residency claim for diversity purposes isn't valid. You don't lose your domicile by involuntary residency in another state (as with penitentiary prisoners). I ran across several cases on this point in a recent LRW project.

But the annotation is correct to challenge the diversity claim given that several defendants are unidentified. The burden is on the party seeking diversity.
Old 4th March 2014, 03:00 PM   #34
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
FWIW, the annotation challenging Hovind's residency claim for diversity purposes isn't valid. You don't lose your domicile by involuntary residency in another state (as with penitentiary prisoners). I ran across several cases on this point in a recent LRW project.

But the annotation is correct to challenge the diversity claim given that several defendants are unidentified. The burden is on the party seeking diversity.
IANAL. What is 'seeking diversity'?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2014, 03:35 PM   #35
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
IANAL. What is 'seeking diversity'?
Across state lines in this case. It is one of the things you can claim to move the case to the federal court system.

Old 4th March 2014, 04:14 PM   #36
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

I was going to ask why Hovind would deny in his complaint that he filed the liens when the Escambia clerk records referenced by RationalWiki has the lien documents clearly bearing Hovind's signature.

Then it occurred to me: He must be using his private dictionary again. I wonder what exactly "to file" means in his world.

By the way, Hovind's SSN is displayed on at least on of the older clerk records. If his identity was actually worth stealing, the number might be worth something.

Old 4th March 2014, 04:31 PM   #37
Dissolution
Master Poster

Hovind seems to be a horrific collision of the YEC and the FMOTL movements. A Freeman on the Young Earth, I guess.
A massive bag of both the nut and the douche varieties.
Old 4th March 2014, 04:48 PM   #38
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Hovind and Steven Seagel are the Larry Bird and Magic Johnson of douchebags.
Old 4th March 2014, 05:59 PM   #39
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

And then there is this. Won't anything go Kent's way?

Old 4th March 2014, 06:40 PM   #40
BardKesnit
Critical Thinker

And then there is this. Won't anything go Kent's way?
The holding isn't fatal to Dr. Dino's suit.

First, if he could show negligence on RW's part, he can win.

Second, Florida is in the 11th Circuit. The holding you linked to is from the 9th. The federal district court where he filed suit is not bound by the holding of a federal appeals court of a different circuit. (Had that holding been an 11th Cir., the district court would be bound.) Even if Hovind's case gets heard on appeal, the 9th Cir. holding isn't binding. Federal circuit courts may give deference to the holdings of another court, but they are not bound by them.
BardKesnit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal