IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #521
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Really?

What are you talking about? The quote put forth is in regards to young children being exposed to drag queens. Nothing to do with homosexuals. In fact, you didn't even deny such when I pointed it out the first time. And quite frankly, it is disingenuous that you made such a mischaracterized post out of context.

In addition, it has exactly zero to do with this topic.

Last edited by Warp12; Yesterday at 08:13 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #522
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
What are you talking about? The quote put forth is in regards to young children being exposed to drag queens. Nothing to do with homosexuals. In fact, you didn't even deny such when I pointed it out the first time. And quite frankly, it is disingenuous that you made such a mischaracterized post out of context.

In addition, it has exactly zero to do with this topic.
awwwwwww....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #523
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The House Negro.

No doubt some Dems feel that way about Walker. Even though they won't admit it, it has been stated in so many words.

Last edited by Warp12; Yesterday at 08:30 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #524
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Really?
There's a thread elsewhere in which Warp12 tells of a favorite uncle - a person whose life does not seem to have been made better by the prevailing social attitudes, nor would be by those of more recent anti-gay rabble-rousers, who I suspect would see the interaction recounted as grooming.

I find interesting the dissonance between the real life experience of some people and the price they're willing for everyone else to pay for the abstract beliefs they cannot practice.

Herschel Walker can be a serial philanderer and abortion facilitator and say, with apparent straight face, that God has forgiven him, but support a policy that denies to everyone else the option. Apparently not only did God forgive him, but God, presumably find this a bothersome chore, then appointed him as his agent.

I guess some people are just so special we can't judge them as we might ourselves.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #525
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Herschel Walker can be a serial philanderer and abortion facilitator and say, with apparent straight face, that God has forgiven him, but support a policy that denies to everyone else the option.

Option of what? Doing something that he clearly recognizes as improper, even as applied to himself? This like saying that a murderer has no right to condemn other people for murder, for all should have the equal right to murder without judgement.

Outrageous.

Last edited by Warp12; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #526
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The House Negro.
No doubt some Dems feel that way about Walker. Even though they won't admit it, it has been stated in so many words.
Won't say it? Here's the truth you won't say. . .

The party of Lincoln has become so morally bankrupt that it requires a black man to grovel at the feet of Donald Trump, the most openly racist politician since Lester Maddox, for mere political gain.

It is a disgrace to America!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #527
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I find it disgraceful that the GOP are blatantly and openly taking advantage of a person so mentally deficient and in need of spoon-feeding and help with dressing that he cannot control his own mind, his morals or his mouth. That this hopeless, helpless case they are suborning is Black is even more appalling. And this is all because, as they and our friend Warp has cheerfully confirmed, the GOP machine today just want a warm body to vote in Congress how they want, without questions. They don't care if he eats the fetuses after procuring those abortions. They just want to win "at any cost". And this is the cost.
Old Today, 12:07 AM   #528
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Option of what? Doing something that he clearly recognizes as improper, even as applied to himself? This like saying that a murderer has no right to condemn other people for murder, for all should have the equal right to murder without judgement.

Outrageous.
It's not about whether what he did is wrong, or whether he acknowledges it. He has declared, essentially, that his wrongs are between him and God, and have no effect on his career, his qualifications, or his ambition to be a moral scold, but everyone else's wrongs are between them and the government.

And if you want to compare him to a murderer, sure, but I think a person who condemns other people for murder while saying he should be allowed to get away with it is indeed not a qualified judge of others.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)

Last edited by bruto; Today at 12:11 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #529
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Option of what? Doing something that he clearly recognizes as improper, even as applied to himself?
I must have missed Walker's admission that he pushed for and paid for these women's abortions. Last I heard he was calling these women liars.

Quote:
This like saying that a murderer has no right to condemn other people for murder, for all should have the equal right to murder without judgement.
No, it's like saying Walker, who pushed for and paid for the abortions of two women he impregnated while approving to remove that option for everyone else, is a damned lying hypocrite whom only other hypocrites would vote for.

Quote:
Outrageous.
Totally agree!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:14 AM   #530
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
As JoeMorgue likes to point out, ignoring the trolls got us Trump. I don't want to risk a man who has an erection for the people in the Senate because I imagine that somehow this time letting dishonest people spout trivially wrong propaganda without anyone pushing back on that won't result in giving power to someone who is clearly incapable of handling it.
No, thinking you could have an honest debate with trolls got you Trump. It's a mistake that has been made around the world and through the ages.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #531
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
As an Independent, I have no trouble admitting that Herschel Walker comes across as rather uneducated and that he speaks English very poorly. But, Warnock, though much more articulate than Walker, has a checkered past and a far-left voting record. If I lived in GA, I would not have voted for Walker in the GOP primary, but I would have voted for him in the general election and would vote for him in the runoff.

He won the GOP primary mainly because he's a famous former football player. He was clearly not the best choice among the GOP contenders.
Yeah, and I'm the Queen of Sheba.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #532
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I expect a candidate for office to be articulate (adj) and to be able to articulate (v) their positions clearly.

Walker fails on both counts. Warnock excels - agree or not with his politics.

There have been highly articulate Republicans in the past, too many to name, though Lincoln exemplifies what I mean. Now, though there may be articulate Republicans in office, they seem largely hobbled. For instance, they all voted against capping insulin at $35 and Medicare drugs out-of-pocket at $2,000. Im pretty sure a case could be made for their no vote, but whatever it might have been was never clearly articulated that I could tell. And that applies to so many of their recent obstructionist votes. Im not holding my breath that a Senator Walker (God forbid) would ever come to the Senate floor and speak articulately, or even coherently, on such matters.
Exactly two cases can be made for both votes "the pharma companies bought our votes" and "we don't care enough about those that voted for us to not vote down a Democrat bill that helps our voters".
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #533
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No surprise there, of course, but it certainly is an odd world, in which a person who, according to some threads, at least understands some motives for abortion, approves of sex education and birth control, and appreciates the value of a gay relative, is happy to support a party many of whose vociferous spokesmen absolutely oppose abortion, oppose sex education and birth control, and support the repression of homosexuality, the abolition of gay rights, and in some cases criminalization. But....

On the other hand, I, being a straight WASP living well off a capitalistic economy, untouched by many of the issues of the day, and largely immune to the excesses of those I oppose, also vote against what one might consider my best interests.

A strange world it is.
No you're voting for what uninformed people think is the party that runs contrary to your interests. A fairer, more equal society with a more even distribution of wealth is better for all, even those who stand to lose some of their money. Bad healthcare, high crime, people being overworked and underpaid and all the other problems that crop up hurt rich people as much as poor people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics