IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Reply
Old 27th January 2017, 09:12 PM   #1841
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,033
Originally Posted by wogoga
We could also speculate why "skeptics" believe so strongly in the truth of the Apollo program,
Because I've worked in this field for over a quarter-century. Because I have degrees and practical experience in physics and education. Because my job has taken me to Hangar S where Mercury was prepared and to Chamber B where the LM was tested and to pads 39 A and B where Apollo flights left for the Moon and to the FCRs and backrooms where the missions were controlled. Because I've worked for guys like Caldwell Johnson and Max Faget and talked a lot with regulars here and on other forums who have studied Apollo in great detail - way more than me - but I've looked at some of the record too and, unlike you, have some idea what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by wogoga
despite all the evidence to the contrary.
You pointing at things you don't understand isn't evidence.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2017, 06:53 PM   #1842
Garrison
Philosopher
 
Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 5,894
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post

We could also speculate why "skeptics" believe so strongly in the truth of the Apollo program, despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Because the bolded is an outright lie, there is no evidence the Apollo program was faked, in fact there isn't even a credible theory for how it could have been faked. On the other hand there is a mountain of evidence that the landings were real. You clearly don't understand the concept of scientific skepticism.
__________________
So I've started a blog about my writing. Check it out at: http://fourth-planet-problem.blogspot.com/
And my first book is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077W322FX
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2017, 02:48 PM   #1843
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
<snip for focus>
We could also speculate why "skeptics" believe so strongly in the truth of the Apollo program, despite all the evidence to the contrary.
<snip for focus>
I, for one, do not "believe" in the truth of the Apollo Program; I am, instead, convinced of the accuracy of the claims by the sufficiency (even supersufficiency) of the evidence.

Your errors have been pointed out to you. Pretending they have not does not make them magically true...
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:22 AM   #1844
Rincewind
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adirondacks, NY - with Magrat!
Posts: 8,737
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
I, for one, do not "believe" in the truth of the Apollo Program; I am, instead, convinced of the accuracy of the claims by the sufficiency (even supersufficiency) of the evidence.

Your errors have been pointed out to you. Pretending they have not does not make them magically true...
__________________
I used to think I was happy. then I met Magrat.
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 04:05 AM   #1845
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
Trump wants send men back to the moon

Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. It is obvious that Trump is kept away from the crucial state secrets (the crimes and hoaxes committed by the Deep State of the United States, the biggest criminal organization of the last decades on Earth). One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it.

Quote from Washington Post, 2017-02-15:
"Bob Walker, an adviser to the Trump transition team and a former congressman who chaired the House Science Committee, said Tuesday: 'What I hear being discussed is the potential for sometime within the first Trump term being able to go and do an Apollo 8 mission' -- meaning a lunar orbit mission like the one performed by Apollo 8 in December 1968."
It is rather unlikely that NASA will be able to repeat the alleged Apollo 8 achievements by 2018 (half a century after Apollo 8).

Even much more unrealistic is repetition of the alleged Apollo 11 achievements of 1969 by 2019.

Cheers, Wolfgang

The Apollo Space Program A gigantic conspiracy?

Last edited by wogoga; 27th February 2017 at 04:22 AM.
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 04:53 AM   #1846
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,033
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person....
Ah hahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You've said a lot of funny things here. That was probably the funniest.


Originally Posted by wogoga
... with common sense surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. It is obvious that Trump is kept away from the crucial state secrets (the crimes and hoaxes committed by the Deep State of the United States, the biggest criminal organization of the last decades on Earth). One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it.

Quote from Washington Post, 2017-02-15:
"Bob Walker, an adviser to the Trump transition team and a former congressman who chaired the House Science Committee, said Tuesday: 'What I hear being discussed is the potential for sometime within the first Trump term being able to go and do an Apollo 8 mission' -- meaning a lunar orbit mission like the one performed by Apollo 8 in December 1968."
It is rather unlikely that NASA will be able to repeat the alleged Apollo 8 achievements by 2018 (half a century after Apollo 8).

Even much more unrealistic is repetition of the alleged Apollo 11 achievements of 1969 by 2019.
It is unlikely that EM-1 will repeat the lunar-orbit mission originally executed by Apollo 8 next year. I know why, because I work on this program, and unlike you I know what I'm talking about. If you be ever bothered to learn something, rather than simply regurgitating context-free factoids and plugging your ears when people try to educate you, you could know as well. But then you'd also have to give up your ignorant delusions about "faked" missions, and you're clearly unwilling to grow up enough to do that.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 07:59 AM   #1847
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 22,278
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person...
Nope.

Quote:
It is rather unlikely that NASA will be able to repeat...
Unlikely according to what facts and computation? I certainly don't accept your personal judgment, as you've demonstrated no correct knowledge of space engineering.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 08:26 AM   #1848
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,376
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense...
Now I'm sure that you're just trolling us for attention.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 04:05 PM   #1849
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,901
You have a big problem wogoga if you think you can some here, to this forum, and get away with spouting the same baseless, ignorant claims, which have been debunked numerous times over the last 30+ years, and which failed to get you any traction at apollohoax.net.

This is because the people who handed you your arse on a plate there are the same people who will embarrass you with another hiding here.... and for the removal of doubt, they are people who are either very knowledgeable about these programs, or who actually work in them. These are aerospace and aeronautical engineers and technicians as well as physicists and other people with real expertise and a lifetime of experience in these areas; areas by the way that you clearly demonstrate that you are totally ignorant in.
__________________
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 10:50 AM   #1850
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,033
When was he on apollohoax? I don't remember that.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 11:42 AM   #1851
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,901
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
When was he on apollohoax? I don't remember that.
tarkus, IMO
__________________
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 12:54 PM   #1852
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing
 
jaydeehess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 40 miles north of the border
Posts: 20,843
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. It is obvious that Trump is kept away from the crucial state secrets (the crimes and hoaxes committed by the Deep State of the United States, the biggest criminal organization of the last decades on Earth). One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it.

Quote from Washington Post, 2017-02-15:
"Bob Walker, an adviser to the Trump transition team and a former congressman who chaired the House Science Committee, said Tuesday: 'What I hear being discussed is the potential for sometime within the first Trump term being able to go and do an Apollo 8 mission' -- meaning a lunar orbit mission like the one performed by Apollo 8 in December 1968."
It is rather unlikely that NASA will be able to repeat the alleged Apollo 8 achievements by 2018 (half a century after Apollo 8).

Even much more unrealistic is repetition of the alleged Apollo 11 achievements of 1969 by 2019.

Cheers, Wolfgang

The Apollo Space Program A gigantic conspiracy?
Depends on how Trump decides to fund NASA doesn't it?
Military spending will be up but most other government agencies will see cuts.

Just like da wall, nothing will be built, or accomplished, if there isn't money to do it.
GWB wanted to go to Mars, iirc. Did not happen,,,,, no money allocated.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 06:41 AM   #1853
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
The standard tale of our moon's formation may need a rewrite

From How Earth got its moon, 2017:
And here's why some astronomers have come to doubt Theia was real: If it smashed into Earth and helped form the moon, then the moon should look like a hybrid of Earth and Theia. Yet studies of lunar rocks show that the chemical composition of Earth and its moon are exactly the same. So that planet-on-planet impact story appears to have some holes in it.
Maybe this "planet-on-planet impact story" simply stems from a wrong premise, namely the premise that "Apollo lunar samples" are genuine lunar rocks.

Cheers, Wolfgang

The Apollo Space Program A gigantic conspiracy?
Age and Origin of our Planetary System as a Supernova-Remnant
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 06:47 AM   #1854
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,971
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
From How Earth got its moon, 2017:
And here's why some astronomers have come to doubt Theia was real: If it smashed into Earth and helped form the moon, then the moon should look like a hybrid of Earth and Theia. Yet studies of lunar rocks show that the chemical composition of Earth and its moon are exactly the same. So that planet-on-planet impact story appears to have some holes in it.
Maybe this "planet-on-planet impact story" simply stems from a wrong premise, namely the premise that "Apollo lunar samples" are genuine lunar rocks.

Cheers, Wolfgang

The Apollo Space Program A gigantic conspiracy?
Age and Origin of our Planetary System as a Supernova-Remnant

How do you explain the Soviet sample return missions Luna 16, 20 & 24 and what they brought back?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 08:09 AM   #1855
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
If one reads the entire article, Apollo missions happened and brought back samples, the origin of which may or may not have been a collision with Thiea. Quit cherry picking exerts to bolster your hoax beliefs.

Last edited by bknight; 16th April 2017 at 08:11 AM.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 12:57 PM   #1856
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,901
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Maybe this "planet-on-planet impact story" simply stems from a wrong premise, namely the premise that "Apollo lunar samples" are genuine lunar rocks.
From the article you quoted

"If Theia formed at around the same distance from the sun as Earth, it would therefore contain mostly the same material, (says Nicolas Dauphas, a planetary scientist at the University of Chicago in Illinois). So if the moon formed largely from a Theia collision with Earth, it makes sense that moon rocks today would have a similar recipe to Earth. "

Just because two rocks have the same chemical composition does not automatically make them the same. Graphite and diamond have the same chemical composition... they are pure carbon... but they are obviously not the same... their properties are vastly different.

There are also a number of other reasons why we KNOW that the rocks and materials brought back by the Apollo missions actually did come from the moon and not the Earth.

The Lunar samples show evidence of having been formed in a very dry environment, in low gravity (but not zero gravity) and with almost no surrounding oxygen. They have are also been found to contain trapped gases from their exposure to the solar wind at the time they were formed. These properties are not observed in any rock samples found in the Earth.

So, once again, you exhibit all the usual traits of the typical moon hoax nut. You have 0.1% of the story and you think this means you can just extrapolate that as the other 99.9% to give you the whole story.

Science doesn't work like that, only ignorance does.
__________________
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 01:32 PM   #1857
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18,285
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. ... One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it.
I think Donald Trump merely yearns to be perceived as big-dicked as JFK.
Heck, he'll propose to win a war against the Southern USA next to become Abe's equal.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 02:25 PM   #1858
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 23,499
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. It is obvious that Trump is kept away from the crucial state secrets (the crimes and hoaxes committed by the Deep State of the United States, the biggest criminal organization of the last decades on Earth). One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it.

Quote from Washington Post, 2017-02-15:
"Bob Walker, an adviser to the Trump transition team and a former congressman who chaired the House Science Committee, said Tuesday: 'What I hear being discussed is the potential for sometime within the first Trump term being able to go and do an Apollo 8 mission' -- meaning a lunar orbit mission like the one performed by Apollo 8 in December 1968."
It is rather unlikely that NASA will be able to repeat the alleged Apollo 8 achievements by 2018 (half a century after Apollo 8).

Even much more unrealistic is repetition of the alleged Apollo 11 achievements of 1969 by 2019.

Cheers, Wolfgang

The Apollo Space Program A gigantic conspiracy?
Good for him. What mission is he sending to check? None? OK then.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #1859
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 26,105
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. It is obvious that Trump is kept away from the crucial state secrets (the crimes and hoaxes committed by the Deep State of the United States, the biggest criminal organization of the last decades on Earth). One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it. ...
You might be right, Trump thinks Obama was tapping his phones, why not go full insane and deny the moon landings, in a super tweet.

The Deep State, is that the one at 120 feet in the ocean? Where do you get this woo?

If Donald denies the moon missions, he will be declared insane, and we might be stuck with Pence, and no more super presidential tweets. One the most insane anti-science conspiracy theories is denial of the moon missions.

LOL, yes, pressure NASA to repeat the moon missions with? It takes a whole lot of money. That is funny. Like asking me to repeat my 4:52 mile, or my 9:47 two mile, except NASA can do it with the right amount of money. I am not sure money can get me back up to a 7:30 mile and a half.

Do you really believe the silly moon landing/mission denial act? What do your relatives say? Friends? Dog? Cat? wow

"common sense" playing the card of woo... "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein
__________________
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein
"... education as the means of developing our greatest abilities" - JFK
https://folding.stanford.edu/ fold with your computer - join team 13232
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 12:29 AM   #1860
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 6,367
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person with common sense
A controversial statement, to say the least.

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
[who] surely wants to know whether the Apollo missions were real or faked. It is obvious that Trump is kept away from the crucial state secrets (the crimes and hoaxes committed by the Deep State of the United States, the biggest criminal organization of the last decades on Earth). One way to find out the truth of Apollo is pressuring NASA to repeat it.
If the POTUS and all his appointees cannot put pressure on NASA, why on earth (pun intended) do you think that a few posts on an obscure internet forum wlll achieve anything? Or, if by 'pressure', you mean Trump's mulling of a repetition of those missions, the same still stands: if the Evil Them won't tell him "what really happened", then there is zero chance they will expose themselves and their Dastardly Plot by agreeing to lauch a mission that they know cannot succeed.
Then there is the consideration that, if NASA faked it once, there is nothing to stop them faking it again- or, if they actually are successful, to stop conspiracy theorists claiming it was faked.
Tell me, wogoga, if NASA- or any other space agency- succesfully repeats these missions, will you accept this and stop claiming hoaxes?
__________________
'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:08 AM   #1861
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
A controversial statement, to say the least.
...
Tell me, wogoga, if NASA- or any other space agency- succesfully repeats these missions, will you accept this and stop claiming hoaxes?
Quite unlikely as GB's think critically and can't be wrong.

Last edited by bknight; 18th April 2017 at 07:16 AM.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:29 AM   #1862
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 6,367
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Quite unlikely as GB's think critically and can't be wrong.
"Gb's"?
__________________
'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:37 AM   #1863
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,901
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
"Gb's"?
I think he means HBs - (Moon) Hoax Believers.
__________________
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:08 AM   #1864
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 6,367
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Quite unlikely as GB's think critically and can't be wrong.
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
"Gb's"?
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think he means HBs - (Moon) Hoax Believers.
Oh, I see.
I hate those people.
They give me the heebie-geebies.
__________________
'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:37 AM   #1865
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There are also a number of other reasons why we KNOW that the rocks and materials brought back by the Apollo missions actually did come from the moon and not the Earth.

The Lunar samples show evidence of having been formed in a very dry environment, in low gravity (but not zero gravity) and with almost no surrounding oxygen. They have are also been found to contain trapped gases from their exposure to the solar wind at the time they were formed. These properties are not observed in any rock samples found in the Earth.
Don't they also exhibit signs of being bombarded by cosmic rays more than you'd expect if they came from an atmospheric environment?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:26 AM   #1866
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
"Gb's"?
My bad HB's, sorry for the confusion.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:30 AM   #1867
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think he means HBs - (Moon) Hoax Believers.
Fat finger and not reviewing prior to submission.

But you knew that.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:37 AM   #1868
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Fat finger and not reviewing prior to submission.

But you knew that.
"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat."
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:35 PM   #1869
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,901
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Don't they also exhibit signs of being bombarded by cosmic rays more than you'd expect if they came from an atmospheric environment?
Yep, and some even show impact craters from micrometeorites, something that simply cannot happen on Earth because micrometeorites rarely make it intact through the atmosphere, and when they do, they do not arrive at the surface with anywhere near enough velocity to make an impact crater.

Here is an interesting article on moon rock from a scientist who has been studying them for almost 50 years. Dr. Randy Korotev is a lunar geochemist at the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Washington University in St Louis.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/howdoweknow.htm

On claims that the Apollo Lunar samples were faked in a Government Laboratory, Dr Korotev has this to say (your point emphasized);

"Any geoscientist (and there have been thousands from all over the world) who has studied lunar samples knows that anyone who thinks the Apollo lunar samples were created on Earth as part of government conspiracy doesn't know much about rocks. The Apollo samples are just too good. They tell a self-consistent story with a complexly interwoven plot that's better than any story any conspirator could have conceived. I've studied lunar rocks and soils for 45+ years and I couldn't make even a poor imitation of a lunar breccia, lunar soil, or a mare basalt in the lab. And with all due respect to my clever colleagues in government labs, no one in "the Government" could do it either, even now that we know what lunar rocks are like. Lunar samples show evidence of formation in an extremely dry environment with essentially no free oxygen and little gravity. Some have impact craters on the surface and many display evidence for a suite of unanticipated and complicated effects associated with large and small meteorite impacts. Lunar rocks and soil contain gases (hydrogen, helium, nitrogen, neon, argon, krypton, and xenon) derived from the solar wind with isotope ratios different than Earth forms of the same gases. They contain crystal damage from cosmic rays. Lunar igneous rocks have crystallization ages, determined by techniques involving radioisotopes, that are older than any known Earth rocks. (Anyone who figures out how to fake that is worthy of a Nobel Prize.) It was easier and cheaper to go to the Moon and bring back some rocks than it would have been to create all these fascinating features on Earth."
__________________
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:01 PM   #1870
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yep, and some even show impact craters from micrometeorites, something that simply cannot happen on Earth because micrometeorites rarely make it intact through the atmosphere, and when they do, they do not arrive at the surface with anywhere near enough velocity to make an impact crater.

Here is an interesting article on moon rock from a scientist who has been studying them for almost 50 years. Dr. Randy Korotev is a lunar geochemist at the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Washington University in St Louis.

...

On claims that the Apollo Lunar samples were faked in a Government Laboratory, Dr Korotev has this to say (your point emphasized);

"Any geoscientist (and there have been thousands from all over the world) who has studied lunar samples knows that anyone who thinks the Apollo lunar samples were created on Earth as part of government conspiracy doesn't know much about rocks. The Apollo samples are just too good. They tell a self-consistent story with a complexly interwoven plot that's better than any story any conspirator could have conceived. I've studied lunar rocks and soils for 45+ years and I couldn't make even a poor imitation of a lunar breccia, lunar soil, or a mare basalt in the lab. And with all due respect to my clever colleagues in government labs, no one in "the Government" could do it either, even now that we know what lunar rocks are like. Lunar samples show evidence of formation in an extremely dry environment with essentially no free oxygen and little gravity. Some have impact craters on the surface and many display evidence for a suite of unanticipated and complicated effects associated with large and small meteorite impacts. Lunar rocks and soil contain gases (hydrogen, helium, nitrogen, neon, argon, krypton, and xenon) derived from the solar wind with isotope ratios different than Earth forms of the same gases. They contain crystal damage from cosmic rays. Lunar igneous rocks have crystallization ages, determined by techniques involving radioisotopes, that are older than any known Earth rocks. (Anyone who figures out how to fake that is worthy of a Nobel Prize.) It was easier and cheaper to go to the Moon and bring back some rocks than it would have been to create all these fascinating features on Earth."
Excellent, I hadn't read that one.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:13 PM   #1871
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,376
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat."
"To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm, now."
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 07:27 AM   #1872
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
"To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm, now."
That would indeed be a bigger fat finger.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:34 PM   #1873
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 28,521
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Donald Trump as a genuinely skeptical person ...
We have:
A fantasy about Trump who seems to be a climate change denier!
A fantasy that anyone with common sense would know that the Apollo missions were not faked. It is people who have replaced common sense with paranoia that believe that the missions were faked.

But worse is an implied delusion that the Apollo missions will be duplicated using 1960's technology thus confirming that the Apollo missions happened !
Missions such as Exploration Mission 1 (planned for September 30, 2018 but see sts60's comment) will use modern technology.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:47 PM   #1874
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 28,521
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Then delusions about no rocks returned from the Moon . There have been multiple missions that have returned rocks from the Moon.

The similarity between isotopic signatures of lunar rocks and terrestrial rocks is an argument against a simple giant impact but more complex scenarios work (Origin of the Moon).
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:53 AM   #1875
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by wogoga in #1845 View Post
It is rather unlikely that NASA will be able to repeat the alleged Apollo 8 achievements by 2018 (half a century after Apollo 8).

Even much more unrealistic is repetition of the alleged Apollo 11 achievements of 1969 by 2019.

Originally Posted by Reality Check in #1873 View Post
But worse is an implied delusion that the Apollo missions will be duplicated using 1960's technology thus confirming that the Apollo missions happened !
Missions such as Exploration Mission 1 (planned for September 30, 2018 but see sts60's comment) will use modern technology.

From the Wikipedia article:
Exploration Mission 1 or EM-1 is the first planned flight of the Space Launch System and the second flight of the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. The launch is planned for September 30, 2018. The Orion spacecraft is planned to spend approximately 3 weeks in space, with 6 days of this in a retrograde orbit around the Moon.

At this moment the mission will be unmanned, however NASA has initiated a study to investigate a crewed version of the mission. A crewed version of EM-1 would be composed of a crew of 2 astronauts, and will be much shorter than the unmanned version due to safety reasons.
The "safety reasons" probably stem from solar radiation. Even in the absence of solar storms, the sun is comparable to an open nuclear reactor. Apollo spacesuits "protected the astronaut from thermal solar radiation and micrometeoroids". The problem of nuclear radiation from the sun seems to have been simply ignored during all these Apollo missions.

By the way, in post The Triple-Ring Nebula around Supernova 1987A I wrote:
The belief in the commonness of spiraling in and out of moons, planets and stars is also a result of the belief in the Apollo "moon rock" samples, some or most of which stem from the Earth's crust. Part of the solution to the problem "Earth crust brought back by Apollo from the Moon" became the "fact" that our moon spiraled out from an orbit very close to the Earth.
Cheers, Wolfgang
pandualism.com
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:27 AM   #1876
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,819
Excessively self-referential and over use of the word "probably".

Next.
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:24 AM   #1877
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 22,278
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
The "safety reasons" probably stem from solar radiation.
Pure speculation.

Quote:
Even in the absence of solar storms, the sun is comparable to an open nuclear reactor.
Nonsense. For quiescent solar activity we need only about 7 g cm-2 shielding to attenuate everything down to roughly Earth-surface normal. Nuclear fission reactions produce an entirely different species of radiation than the Sun.

Quote:
The problem of nuclear radiation from the sun seems to have been simply ignored during all these Apollo missions.
Or maybe you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to radiation.

Let's test your knowledge. What is the baseline neutron flux at two lunar diameters away from the Moon's sun-facing surface, at energies of 100 MeV and higher?

Last edited by JayUtah; 22nd April 2017 at 08:26 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:35 AM   #1878
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,819
I exposed myself to that open nuclear reactor today. It's been lovely here. I used minimal shielding, which just happened on this occasion to be a NASA T-shirt.
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:37 AM   #1879
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,971
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Let's test your knowledge. What is the baseline neutron flux at two lunar diameters away from the Moon's sun-facing surface, at energies of 100 MeV and higher?
aaaahhhhhh, porridge with sparkles?

I answered as W isn't going to and I suspect my answer will be better than any he might have come up with - if he could have been bothered to try.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:38 PM   #1880
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
From the ...
The "safety reasons" probably stem from solar radiation. Even in the absence of solar storms, the sun is comparable to an open nuclear reactor. "protected the astronaut from thermal solar radiation and micrometeoroids". The problem of nuclear radiation from the sun seems to have been simply ignored during all these Apollo missions.

...
Utter nonsense, the sun is powered by nuclear FUSION not fission as reactors here on Terra Firma. They generate a totally different kind of radiation.
Learn some physics before posting nonsense. BTW don't argues with JayUtah, as he has forgotten more about the Apollo program than you know.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.