ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Niels Harrit , russia today , thermite

Old 10th July 2009, 12:06 PM   #41
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Off-hand, I would say that he is utterly guanophrenic and knows pretty well nothing about the apllication of thermite in arson.

The idiot just crossed into my trerritory here.

Thermite is useful as a tool in burglary, in that it can be used to cut the hinges off of some pretty serious security doors, cut entrances through steel bar cages and even open some heavy-duty safes.

It's a bit quicker than using a cutting torch, but it has some disadvantages.

For the most part, it would be of interest to an arson investigator in that it would be part of a modus operendi of an individual criminal. Many arson fires are set to cover up another crime.

As a means of torching your house, however, there are just too many drawbacks.

The big blob of cast iron sitting on the floor near the point of ignition, the white powdery residue on survivng surfaces, the vitrified concrete or tiles...

Then there is the fact that most thermite charges are going to need a mechanical linkage of some sort to ignite them. The cell phone remote control is just not all that feasible. If you are going to go that route, it would make far more sense to use a can of gasoline. That would, at least, have the advantage of spreading quite a way through the structure when it blows. Thermite is very intensely hot, but also very localized. It would look a little odd at first glance, to see an area a few feet in circumferrence in which everything was totally burned up while the rest of the house shows signs of having burned for only 10-20 minutes before the fire department arrived. This would be clear indication that an accelerant of some sort had been used and that tests were needed. As i stated earlier, a blob of cast iron would be a good indicator of what to test for.

But no, generally, thermite is not one of the items for which the fire investigators would look.

I have less faith in Harrit's qualifications every time I read something about him.

Now I notice that he is listed as having been 28 years or so an associate professor. Now, I don't know that much about the heirarchy in a European university, but isn't an associate professor one of the less brilliant bulbs in the array, generally speaking?

Kind of like an Army officer retiring as an O-3, company grade, as opposed to field grade. I'm getting an impression of a lot of twoofers being sort of duds in their fileds, like Jeff King as an engineer (please God, make him a better physician than an engineer,) or Erik May, or Dylan Avery, the notorious film school reject, or Dick Gage, architectural hack.

Some people would have no life were it not for Da Twoof.
For some unknown reason, your words have made me think of a new theory Jones and the boys can use.

The ebil NWO placed the sekrit NANOTHERMITE, in paint, to conceal it, and this is why the red/grey micro chips resemble paint!!!

Genius, genius I tell you!!!

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2009, 12:59 PM   #42
alienentity
Illuminator

Niels Harrit quotes:
http://www.cafedelnightmare.com/2009...rrit-nano.html

'If civilian researchers (like myself) are not familiar with it, it is probably because they do not do much work with explosives. As for military scientists, you would have to ask them. I do not know how familiar they are with nanotechnology.' Wow, you've really done your homework....NOT!

Q: So you found this substance in the WTC, why do you think it caused the collapse?
A: 'Well, it's an explosive. Why else would it be there?' Umm, what is it and where was it have not been answered.

Neither Harrit nor Jones know what the chips are, they clearly don't know enough about military nanothermite, and seem not to be in touch with those who do... (remember several of the chips gave off more energy than thermite could, even nanothermite. Isn't it more likely that they aren't actually thermite? Of course, but then you have to abandon CD doctrine, which they won't do).

'Hundreds of thousands of people around the world, have long known that the three buildings were demolished. This has been crystal clear.' Riiiight. Who needed physical evidence when we knew all along?

'When you see a 47-storey building, 186m tall, collapse in 6.5 seconds, and you are a scientist, you think "what?' Well, it didn't collapse in 6.5 seconds, so no wonder Harrit is confused.
He probably didn't bother to read the NIST WTC 7 report either.

In Niels' world, arguments from incredulity coupled with unqualified speculation make up the 'science'. Yikes!!

Harrit's claims are just silly. Full stop.

Last edited by alienentity; 10th July 2009 at 01:03 PM.
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2009, 01:13 PM   #43
FineWine

Originally Posted by 8den View Post
Jewish Ninjas! They'd be silent and deadly if it wasn't for all the kvetching.
Hilarious!

Jewish nanothermite: schmaltz

(For the goyim here, "schmaltz or schmalz is rendered pig, chicken, or goose fat used for frying or as a spread on bread, especially in German and Polish cuisine.")

Jewish stand-down order: "Cut it out! I just had my hair and nails done."

Jewish cover-up: a bad toupee.

Jewish cut column: circumcision.

Jewish conspiracy: all conspiracies are Jewish.

Last edited by FineWine; 10th July 2009 at 01:19 PM.
FineWine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2009, 02:44 PM   #44
HereticHulk
Muse

Niels Harrit was also interviewed on a podcast I listen to: Electric Politics.

Here is a link if anyone is interested in listening.

Quote:
It takes a theory to beat a theory. Up to now, that's played to the strengths of the establishment narrative for 9/11. But with the discovery and analysis of nano-thermite residue from dust collected in lower Manhattan immediately after 9/11, the counterfactual burden falls the other way. To get the story from the source I turned to Dr. Niels Harrit, lead author of a recent paper (.pdf) that examines the dust in exhaustive detail. A professor of chemistry at the University of Copenhagen for over forty years, with an impressive publication record (.pdf), Niels brings a high level of professional credibility to the 9/11 truth movement. I was very happy to talk with Niels and I thank him for his tremendous public service. Total runtime fifty eight minutes. Dare to question convention!
ETA: George Kenney (host) interviewed Harrit this AM. I emailed George last week and linked some of the posts here about the validity of the journal Niels used and the other Steven Jones thread. So he questioned him about that and the reasoning as to why he used that particular publisher.

Last edited by HereticHulk; 10th July 2009 at 03:13 PM.
HereticHulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2009, 03:46 PM   #45
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Easy answer...no respectable traditional journal would publish their tripe. Whether it be the severe political slant (which has no place in scientific literature/analysis), OR the lack of ability/desire to eliminate more common, more benign sources for their amazing chips, OR the absolute abysmal chain of custody exhibited from their paper, the chances of their paper in its present form getting published by a REAL journal are slim to none.

Jones and the bunch knew this going in, so they applied to be published in a sure thing, a money driven vanity journal. The truthers ate it up like candy.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2009, 01:00 PM   #46
Scott Sommers
Illuminator

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Now I notice that he is listed as having been 28 years or so an associate professor. Now, I don't know that much about the heirarchy in a European university, but isn't an associate professor one of the less brilliant bulbs in the array, generally speaking?
Niels Harrit is associate professor of chemistry at the University of Copenhagen. His list of research publications is here http://chem.ku.dk/ansatte/publikatio...ersonid=138970

The link entitled 'homepage' leads to a page entotled 'Nano-Science Center' and is written in Danish.

It is a large department with many researchers. You can find the entire list of personal here http://chem.ku.dk/ansatte/alle/
It is a little strange that after 28 years one would still be associate professor, but only a little strange. My advisor (not is a science or technical field) retired as an associate professor.

Dr. Harrit may be a nut, but he is a professional nut. He has raised technical issues with the model that, from our point of view, invalidate it. While he is committed to a certain conclusion and will not accept it has been invalidated, he is not willing to continue promoting conclusions that have no scientififc basis.
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2009, 06:18 PM   #47
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Josarhus View Post
Does anybody have any comments on this?

My comment?

Quote:
according to some regulation

That's some high quality research, right there!

Seriously, this guy is trying to claim that the failure to look for thermite is indicative of a conspiracy, because the FBI, or whoever, is legally required to look for thermite in fire investigations, yet the best citation he can come up with is "according to some regulation"?

I'd love to see this guy try to get such a citation past any, even remotely respectable, University thesis panel. He'd get his ass handed to him.

And yet, it seems to be good enough for the twoofers.
Old 8th August 2009, 06:26 PM   #48
AZCat
Graduate Poster

The truthers typically refer to NFPA 921 as the "regulation" (even though it isn't).
AZCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2009, 07:20 PM   #49
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

I'm a little confused. If the nano/pico/femto/attothermite was used as fuse material (assuming for the sake of argument that it could be used that way), why was so much of it unconsumed after its use?
I can understand perhaps some small percentage of charges not going off. But igniters are typically much smaller than the charges they ignite. It seems odd that, even with hundreds of tons of conventional explosives, enough "fuse material" was spread around to make finding chips of it a trivial exercise.
I suppose it's an argument from incredulity, but if it were used as fuse, I would expect the fuses that worked to set off charges to be consumed, and for those charges that didn't go off, I would expect a far better chance of finding a small chip of the relatively larger conventional explosive than a small chip of the fuse.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2009, 07:45 PM   #50
R.Mackey
Philosopher

The better question is, if the nano-crap is a "fuse," it's a fuse for what?

Thermite is tough to ignite already. Nanothermite is in some ways easier to ignite, but still not easy. However, the "fuse" would also need a fuse. It won't just spontaneously go off.

And this other fuse, this thing you need to light off the nanothermite, would in almost certainty light off whatever other mystery ingredient you need.

This is rather like the "Red Mercury" hoax that's been around for a couple of decades, and popped up in a 9/11 context a few times. The insane individuals who came up with "Red Mercury" claim it's a "ballotechnic" material, i.e. one that detonates with pressures three orders of magnitude higher than conventional explosives, and can be used as a trigger for a fusion bomb. This means one can make a fusion bomb without first having to develop a fission bomb to start the fusion reaction. Problem with that argument is, if the "ballotechnic" exists, then just use that by itself! If its own reactivity is comparable to a fission bomb, then why bother with fission or fusion?

Just like "Red Mercury" doesn't really exist except as a shadowy part of a make-believe device, neither does "nanothermite." There is no credible reason at all why you would need either substance. Ergo, it's fantasy. It's just a buzz-word, made up by a crank, who has no idea what he's talking about. Its only purpose is to impress equally ignorant people.

And this is completely apart from Dr. Jones and Dr. Harrit's own data showing that the crap they have is not, and in no way resembles, actual nanothermite.
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2009, 09:32 PM   #51
A W Smith
Philosopher

No blast or cutting noted on remains=no need to look for thermite/blast evidence

Since nanothermite or any thermite has never in the history of......ever.. been used in a cd. Why would they "be required" to look for it? Besides. The effects of a cd on the wreckage would be self evident.
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Donít get me lolín off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2009, 09:54 PM   #52
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
Jewish nanothermite: schmaltz

(For the goyim here, "schmaltz or schmalz is rendered pig, chicken, or goose fat used for frying or as a spread on bread, especially in German and Polish cuisine.")
(calling upon my great-grandmother* for the appropriate look of disapproval) Pig?

* - Grandpa pretended he was close enough to Catholic to marry Grandma, though he was mostly Scottish-Rite Mason.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2009, 02:29 PM   #53
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Not that I want to help the helpless "truthers" out but, maybe it's time they think about "boeinggoingfastfulloffuelomite". (hey maybe if you give it a cool name they won't catch on).

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories