ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Niels Harrit

Old 12th July 2012, 03:19 PM   #41
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by atavisms View Post
Thank god for people like Dr Niels Harrit.
Why? Has he actually accomplished something?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2012, 05:10 PM   #42
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
*And Dr Steven E Jones, Richard Gage, Jim Hoffman, David Ray Griffin and so on). . It is not that they may not make errors but that we have obviously been lied to about 9/11 and they are fighting to uncover the truth.
That's a good thing. and if face of such broad ignorance and media black-out (for example most Americans have never heard of WTC7). The Harrit paper is not mentioned by the Times and so on.
What truths have they uncovered?
Old 12th July 2012, 06:15 PM   #43
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

(for example most Americans have never heard of WTC7)
why should they even care about WTC7? Nobody died when it fell.
Old 12th July 2012, 06:22 PM   #44
A W Smith
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Donít get me lolín off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2012, 06:57 PM   #45
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, there is a god of woo.

*And Dr Steven E Jones, Richard Gage, Jim Hoffman, David Ray Griffin and so on). .
God made Adam and Eve, the "god of woo" made DRG, Jim Hoffman, Dick Gage, and Thermite Jones. A new religion is born, 911 Truth, where no lie is too idiotic.

It is not that they may not make errors but that we have obviously been lied to about 9/11 and they are fighting to uncover the truth.
Your heroes spread lies to those unarmed with knowledge and unable to think for themselves.

That's a good thing. and if face of such broad ignorance and media black-out (for example most Americans have never heard of WTC7).
Wait, you made an error. The 911 truth movement is very specific ignorance. Most Americans have not heard of the 911 truth movement, it is a fringe movement of nuts. Most people don't know how walnuts are harvested. Now what?

The Harrit paper is not mentioned by the Times and so on.
The Harrit paper is not qualified to be used as toilet paper.

How many times a day does 911 truth have to pray to the "god of woo"?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2012, 07:16 PM   #46
The Platypus
Graduate Poster

*And Dr Steven E Jones, Richard Gage, Jim Hoffman, David Ray Griffin and so on). . It is not that they may not make errors but that we have obviously been lied to about 9/11 and they are fighting to uncover the truth.
That's a good thing. and if face of such broad ignorance and media black-out (for example most Americans have never heard of WTC7). The Harrit paper is not mentioned by the Times and so on.
It's funny when that you say, we've been lied to about 9/11, and you also list the people that are going around telling lies about 9/11.

That's good comedy...

Always beware of those that overuse, capitalize and blanket themselves in them word "truth". I may not always know the truth, but i do know when i'm being lied too.

Last edited by The Platypus; 12th July 2012 at 08:40 PM.
The Platypus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2012, 10:04 PM   #47
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Most Americans haven't heard of Niels Harrit, Steven Jones, Richard Gage, Jim Hoffman, David Ray Griffin and so on either.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2012, 11:33 AM   #48
alienentity
Illuminator

God would probably think truthers are complete nitwits. For example, since OBVIOUSLY the demise of WTC7 was amply covered on 9/11 (including the BBC booboo), in documentaries (Larry Silverstein's 'pull it' comment on the BBC documentary), and all the press surrounding the rebuilding of it in NYC, you'd have to be living under a cognitive rock to not be aware of this.

Is the average American interested and well-versed in the minutae of 9/11? No, of course not.

How many Americans know about the damage to the Verizon building or WTC 5 and 6? Probably not many.

Tell us something we don't know..
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 04:07 PM   #49
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

This Nutjob Conference was scheduled for 20-22 September.

Did it take place?
http://www.openmindconference.com/home

A whopping 3 (three) "Likes" on Facebook!
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 04:18 PM   #50
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

Did it take place?

It had around 400 likes that weekend. Still, not many people considering the number of speakers they had booked.

I was having a brief look at the home page every day leading up to the conference to see if had been cancelled. Their forum was basically empty of any new posts (or info on tickets sold).

I just looked at the forum, and there have been two posts saying "thank you" for the conference, so it looks like it went ahead.
Old 27th September 2012, 04:21 PM   #51
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Did it take place?

Its listed on their kalender
http://audonicon.dk/kalender/ but following their link to the event page gives me an error 404 page not found.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 05:20 AM   #52
grandmastershek
Graduate Poster

Indeed...thank god for Neils Harrit. Just like God let the Devil put those fossils in the strata to test our faith, which only the seekers of "truth" have figured out, so too did the government put magic thermite in the buildings, which only the seekers of "truth" believe.
Old 28th September 2012, 05:35 AM   #53
Josarhus
Thinker

Did it take place?

The conference did take place and about 100 people attended on the first day.

From Danish TV:

http://www.tv2oj.dk/arkiv/2012/09/20...591&autoplay=1

The attendees seem to be the usual suspects from the truth movement and other conspiracy theory followers.
Old 28th September 2012, 06:08 AM   #54
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the replies.
Josarhus, is TV2 OJ a major station, or some small outfit sympathetic to fringe topics? That clip is titled "The Truth appears", if Google Translate is to be trusted. Do they mean that in an ironic or supportive way?
The audience to me looks like less than 100. 60 at most.

P.S.: The Danish language sounds so funny! One of Germany's most popular comedians, Hape Kerkeling (I want no snide remarks about this connection between "Germany" and "comedian", folks!!), is great and hilarious at babbling in fake Danish, which sounds very much like the original
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 07:06 AM   #55
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Oystein: Well, perhaps... "Something is really rotten in the state of Denmark", look at this video "9/11: THE SENSIBLE DOUBT - Danish documentary about 9/11", featuring Niels Harrit again.

(But my greatest apologies to any Danish JREFer, who can be offended by my post/link)
Ivan Kminek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 07:14 AM   #56
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ivan Kminek View Post
Oystein: Well, perhaps... "Something is really rotten in the state of Denmark", look at this video "9/11: THE SENSIBLE DOUBT - Danish documentary about 9/11", featuring Niels Harrit again.

(But my greatest apologies to any Danish JREFer, who can be offended by my post/link)
Interesting.
The first person interviewed, Jan Utzon, is the son of the architect of the world-famous Sydney Opera House, JÝrn Utzon, and himself an accomplished architect with projects all over the world. He is a signer of Gage's petition, and Gage net him when he was on a promo trip to Australia. He is featured in Gage's current "Experts Speak Out" video.

ETA: More trivia on Danish trutherdom:

About a month ago I downloaded all "Other Supporters" signatures of Gage's petition, and did a statistic on which countris and US states they came from.

Turns out that Denmark, among all non-English speaking countries, is pretty much the leading Twoof nation, with 11.8 signers per 1 million inhabitants. Only three tiny nations, Faroe Islands (2 signatures from a total population of 48,000), Iceland (20 per million) and Greenland (1 signer out of 56,750 total population) rank higher, with Greenland being an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark, so that's more or less Danish, too.

For comparision, the next non-English speaking countries are The Netherland (8.1 per million), Sweden (6.7), Finland (6.1), Belgium (5.4) and Norway (5.0). Then comes the Czech Republic (4.9). Germany is in upper mid-field with 2.2.

So Gage's cult reigns (relatively) strong in Scandinavia and the Low Countries.

(English-speaking countries: USA 37.3, Canada 26.5, New Zealand 24.3, Australia 11.1, Ireland 10.0, United Kingdom 8.5, South Africa 0.5)

Last edited by Oystein; 28th September 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:55 AM   #57
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

I was going to suggest a complex, multivariate regression analysis with factors like age, weather, alcohol consumption etc.

But it's really simple - The anglospere and countries with the highest English proficiency outside of it (benelux / dirty Scandies). This conspiracy is an American thing, which is interesting to English speakers and spread via its English speaking evangelists. Those presentations in Copenhagen were all in English, weren't they?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 12:26 PM   #58
Josarhus
Thinker

Thanks for the replies.
Josarhus, is TV2 OJ a major station, or some small outfit sympathetic to fringe topics? That clip is titled "The Truth appears", if Google Translate is to be trusted. Do they mean that in an ironic or supportive way?
The audience to me looks like less than 100. 60 at most.

P.S.: The Danish language sounds so funny! One of Germany's most popular comedians, Hape Kerkeling (I want no snide remarks about this connection between "Germany" and "comedian", folks!!), is great and hilarious at babbling in fake Danish, which sounds very much like the original

TV2 is nationwide, but adding the OJ (Ostjylland = East Jutland) means that it is local and only covers a minor part of Denmark, my part by the way. In other words, it is the local part of a nationwide television station.

TV2 OJ has a potential to reach around 587.000 people (12 years+/2010 numbers), with an average of 7.000 to 90.000 watching daily (2010 numbers)

I can clearly spot the irony in the clip. There is no doubt that the journalists find it a bit amusing, but tries to keep it professional.

The number 100 is mentioned in the last part of the clip.

We have some of the same, by us it is fake Dutch that is the big hit.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:30 PM   #59
Josarhus
Thinker

Originally Posted by Ivan Kminek View Post

I am not offended by you, I am offended by the fools in the video. I am by the way banned from commenting on videos uploaded by the maker of the Sensible Doubt, Zune Holm, because I pointed out the mistakes in the video.

Zune Holm has a blog:

http://zuneholm.blogspot.dk/2012_07_01_archive.html

Last edited by Josarhus; 28th September 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Josarhus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 01:42 PM   #60
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Josarhus View Post
We have some of the same, by us it is fake Dutch that is the big hit.
One of Hape Kerkelings greatest and best remembered moments was sometime in the early ninties when Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands was on a state visit to Berlin. Minutes before Beatrix' motorcade was scheduled to arrive, Hape, dressed up as Queen Beatrix, drove up in front of Bellevue Palace, the seat of the German President, in a Rolls Royce or something like that, speaking fake Dutch in falsetto voice, and almost fooled ushers to let him advance in
Old 29th September 2012, 12:55 AM   #61
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Interesting.
The first person interviewed, Jan Utzon, is the son of the architect of the world-famous Sydney Opera House, JÝrn Utzon, and himself an accomplished architect with projects all over the world. He is a signer of Gage's petition, and Gage net him when he was on a promo trip to Australia. He is featured in Gage's current "Experts Speak Out" video.

About a month ago I downloaded all "Other Supporters" signatures of Gage's petition, and did a statistic on which countris and US states they came from.

Turns out that Denmark, among all non-English speaking countries, is pretty much the leading Twoof nation, with 11.8 signers per 1 million inhabitants. Only three tiny nations, Faroe Islands (2 signatures from a total population of 48,000), Iceland (20 per million) and Greenland (1 signer out of 56,750 total population) rank higher, with Greenland being an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark, so that's more or less Danish, too.

For comparision, the next non-English speaking countries are The Netherland (8.1 per million), Sweden (6.7), Finland (6.1), Belgium (5.4) and Norway (5.0). Then comes the Czech Republic (4.9). Germany is in upper mid-field with 2.2.

So Gage's cult reigns (relatively) strong in Scandinavia and the Low Countries.

(English-speaking countries: USA 37.3, Canada 26.5, New Zealand 24.3, Australia 11.1, Ireland 10.0, United Kingdom 8.5, South Africa 0.5)
Hehe, interesting statistics, Oystein It seems that we Czechs are not the best ones in assesing the construction/behavior of skyscrapers, e.g. under air attack. But it does not matter/no wonder, since we have no skyscrapers in the Czech Republic
But I think that our Czech truthers on the specialized web are generally well-educated, polite and capable to shift their opinions somehow (e.g. in the "case" of nanothermite).

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 29th September 2012 at 01:17 AM.
Ivan Kminek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 01:25 AM   #62
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by cjnewson88 View Post
Quote:
An entrance ticket for all three days of the conference costs 975 Danish kroner. The ticket provides admission to all of the lectures.
According to Google, thats $165 USD.
$165 a ticket x 100 people = US$16,500.

I wonder how much the speakers were paid.

ETA: Nothing. From the website:

Quote:
A number of highly-esteemed lecturers will be providing their services free of charge. These include Barrie Trower, Bill Still, Birgitta Jonsdottir, Carsten Vagn-Hansen, Desireť RŲver, Frank Rasmussen, Ian Crane, Niels Harrit, Rasmus Foldbjerg, Terry Boardman and Vithus Hartz.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 29th September 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 03:50 AM   #63
Josarhus
Thinker

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
$165 a ticket x 100 people = US$16,500.

I wonder how much the speakers were paid.

ETA: Nothing. From the website:
That contradicts earlier statements from the organizers. In the beginning when there were too little interest, they said that they had to cancel, if people didnít sign up, because the speakers had to be paid in advance.

Many ended up with cheaper tickets and within the last month, one day tickets were also sold at lower prices.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:53 PM   #64
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Josarhus View Post
That contradicts earlier statements from the organizers. In the beginning when there were too little interest, they said that they had to cancel, if people didnít sign up, because the speakers had to be paid in advance.

Many ended up with cheaper tickets and within the last month, one day tickets were also sold at lower prices.
In my OP (29 June 2012) I quoted the same thing as above - that the speakers were appearing without being paid.

However, I can well believe they may have demanded payment at a later stage, or the organisers may have lied about needing to pay the speakers.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:57 PM   #65
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Travel expenses, food, lodging?
Old 30th September 2012, 12:07 AM   #66
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Travel expenses, food, lodging?
Good points, Oystein. I didn't think of that.

Those would take a sizeable chunk out of the conference takings.
Old 30th September 2012, 08:51 AM   #67
AsbjornAndersen
Scholar

Interesting.

So Gage's cult reigns (relatively) strong in Scandinavia and the Low Countries.)
LOL - have you seen the YT-video that tries to implicate the Danish prime minister as well? Twoofers are funny... And now I have to see that "documentary", just to see Harrit make an ass of himself (yet again)
I have talked to danes who seriously believe themselves to be considered "dangerous", because they "ask questions" about WTC7. Typically people with no academic background but who have read a Griffin-book and seen a YT-movie.
AsbjornAndersen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 09:23 AM   #68
AsbjornAndersen
Scholar

That was indeed moronic - thankfully it was rather short. I like that Harrit acknowledges the effort that is needed to do a controlled demolition - that this would have been done months in advance, and then sees no problem in *anyone* pulling that off (as long as it's not Bin Laden & Co.).
It's also quite pathetic to hear a Dane explain what it means to be a New Yorker.
AsbjornAndersen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 10:04 AM   #69
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AsbjornAndersen View Post
It's also quite pathetic to hear a Dane explain what it means to be a New Yorker.

Population of Denmark: 5.5 million
Population of New York City: 8.2 million
Ratio Denmark:NYC: 0.67:1

Land area of Denmark: 43,094 km2
Land area of NYC: 1,213 km2
Ratio Denmark:NYC: 35:1

Population density of Denmark: 128/km2
Population density of NYC: 6760/km2
Ratio Denmark:NYC: 1:53

I think a Dane can't fully comprehend that
Old 30th September 2012, 10:26 AM   #70
AsbjornAndersen
Scholar

:
I think a Dane can't fully comprehend that
On top of that, assuming the guy has only lived in Copenhagen - that's just around 549.000 people
Old 30th September 2012, 01:54 PM   #71
Justin39640
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AsbjornAndersen View Post
On top of that, assuming the guy has only lived in Copenhagen - that's just around 549.000 people
Every second or third car around here had this sticker shortly after the attacks:

Me thinks your Dane has no clue what the attitude in this area of the world was or is. I have run into truthers here though (to be fair). But overwhelmingly, we wanted Al Qaeda blood.

Last edited by Justin39640; 30th September 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Justin39640 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 03:13 PM   #72
AsbjornAndersen
Scholar

Originally Posted by Justin39640 View Post
Me thinks your Dane has no clue what the attitude in this area of the world was or is. I have run into truthers here though (to be fair). But overwhelmingly, we wanted Al Qaeda blood.
My thoughts exactly But what really stood out to me, was his claim that "New Yorkers lost their identity". That's mighty bold coming from a twentysomething Danish self-proclaimed artist, who most likely haven't lived in the city for that long
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:42 AM   #73
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just had a look at who the speakers were. None were very impressive.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:02 AM   #74
Starving for Truth
Thinker

More ad hominem attacks against Dr. Harrit

He and his fellows try to spread truth which is otherwise ignored by big media. The open mind conference 2012 was the key event to understanding 9/11, paranormal activity and chemtrails.

Last edited by Starving for Truth; 2nd October 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Starving for Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:48 AM   #75
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Starving for Truth View Post

He and his fellows try to spread truth which is otherwise ignored by big media. The open mind conference 2012 was the key event to understanding 9/11.
Truth eh? I refer you to the following discussions regarding the poor quality of Dr. Harrit's "research".

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=231441
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=140017
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=187515
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:52 AM   #76
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

He and his fellows try to spread truth ...
While I agree that rjh01's post was ad hominem (permissible under the JREF rules however), it takes utmost generosity to also admit that Harrit perhaps tries to spread truth about 9/11.

The bad news is: However hard he may try, he fails to spread truth, and instead spreads falsehoods.

Point in case: The 2009 paper "Active Thermitic Material found...". The falsehoods start with the very first words after the title. These words are:
"Niels H. Harrit, ..."
Why is even his name on the first page a falsehood? Because by putting him in first place among nine authors, it is to be understood that Harrit is the lead author of the paper. That impression is FALSE, and it is deliberately FALSE. The thermite-theory is fundamentally and originally Jones's, who also did some of the experiments, and most of the experimental work was done by Farrer. I have it on good authority from at least two sources that Harrit played no major role at all in compiling this paper: The hypothesis is not his, the experiments are not his, the discussion is not his, the conclusions are not his. At most, he may have made a suggestion here or there.

So the fraud of the Harrit saga begins with the moment his name is even mentioned!

We have shown with abundant clarity in this forum that every conclusion and argument made by Harrit and his collaborators is false and soundly and conclusively disproven by their own data.

Studies have been undertaken since theirs that confirm the falsehood of the conclusions. Harrit misrepresents these studies, as he mirepresents all the criticism brought forward against "his" paper - well at least to the extent that he even acknowledges the existence of such criticism, which he tries hard not to.

So, I can't prove that he has been spreading lies consciously for all these years and still is, and maybe he really thinks that his falsehoods are truths. If so, he is seriously deluded. The fact of the matter remains: Harrit spreads falsehoods about 9/11.

Last edited by Oystein; 2nd October 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:10 PM   #77
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Yes, with qualifications like what Oystein and Mark F has just mentioned people like Dr. Harrit should not even be invited to speak at conferences.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:46 PM   #78
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

He and his fellows try to spread truth which is otherwise ignored by big media. The open mind conference 2012 was the key event to understanding 9/11, paranormal activity and chemtrails.
Chemtrails? Harrit is nuts. You provided the evidence. Good job.

Is an open mind like an open marriage; Your wife leaves you for something better, your mind leaves you when you start to spread lies?

Harrit is a nut. It is not an attack, it is the truth.

You like people who spread lies. How does that fit with the prime directive?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:02 PM   #79
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

While I agree that rjh01's post was ad hominem (permissible under the JREF rules however), it takes utmost generosity to also admit that Harrit perhaps tries to spread truth about 9/11.

The bad news is: However hard he may try, he fails to spread truth, and instead spreads falsehoods.
<snip>
Actually I do not think what I said was an ad hominem based on this page http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html
Quote:
A: The main thing to keep in mind is the distinction between argumentation and testimony. The whole point of logic is to develop techniques for evaluating the cogency of arguments independently of the arguer's identity. So, ask the question: is the person being criticized arguing or testifying? Are reasons being presented, or must we take the person's word for something? If the person is arguing, the argument should be evaluated on its own merits; if testifying, then credibility is important.
Harrit is trying to say 'here are the facts'. Both you and I have said people cannot rely on the 'facts' as stated by Harrit. So by the definition above what I have said is not an ad hominem. If it is then so is your post.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:03 PM   #80
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

If you're "starving for truth" no wonder - you won't find very much in the 9/11, chemtrail and paranormal crowd.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories