ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chris Mohr , james millette , nanothermite , Niels Harrit , richard gage , steven jones , thermite , wtc dust

Old 15th October 2016, 05:54 PM   #2561
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
YOU OWE ME A NEW KEYBOARD!
Can I interest you in a talk to type app instead, only gets a few words wrong once in a while.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 06:43 PM   #2562
Ziggi
Critical Thinker

Ziggi, October 9, 2016:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
Oystein you have been flooding this thread with loud ranting comments and questions directed at me on a daily basis ever since it was concluded 9 days ago that you would not get any more answers from me about anything at all:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2314

If you are having trouble living with that choice then perhaps you should try to talk to family and friends about helping you to come to terms with it. Ignoring your own choice and pretending it did not happen is not OK and continued flooding of the thread with these comments wont change anything. You will not provoke angry responses from me with this trolling or bait me into accidentally restarting arguments with you. I simply do not care what you say or how often you say it.

Please stop this now if you can control yourself
. Good bye.
Yet we still have a continued flood of daily comments directed at me even though it has been made very clear that no responses will be given to this person - and this person thinks he is impressing his comrades on this forum and readers by declaring that in his mind I agree to everything he says in all these comments posted after I said good-bye:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystein, October 13 2016
Now that Ziggi agreed to these by choosing not to disagree, we can move on
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystein, October 15 2016

Remember: I post under the assumption that you agree to everything you don't address!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2551
As before, that no "debunker" interjects to make it clear this is not accepted in this circle of "debunkers" is more interesting and revealing than this behavior by itself. Saying that you guys have sunken to a new low after the JREF got rid of you would be a massive understatement. And for that you get a big from me:

Quote:
.. We are here to let you guys debunk yourselves with this kind of behavior in the eyes of real researchers that may be checking both sides...
Ziggi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 07:05 PM   #2563
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Where's the thermite, Ziggi?
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 07:07 PM   #2564
Ziggi
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
Quote:
Again the same twisting of my words..And the third time around is even more childish than the second. Thats all you got then. YAWN.
I'm not interested in the chaff and nonsense, I'm interested in your criteria. You have defined that criteria, yet you refuse to answer simple questions using that very same criteria.

This shows everyone who reads this thread everything they need to know about your position. Your position is you refuse to acknowledge that the red layer on chips a-d in the Harrit et al paper are the the same material based upon the morphology shown in the SEM photos...
..And the 4. time you try the same twisting of my words is even more childish than the 3. time, so much so that "childish" does not really suffice to describe the behavior anymore. You know perfectly well that I will move on to another topic once the former one is settled. It is a pity that you seem unable to settle that with your comrades because you have lost the respect you once had on this subforum, but again I already told you that you cannot blame me for your troubles. That you just stated in public that in your head you think I have somehow refused to acknowledge that all the chips in Harrit et al had the same red material is quite a revelation..about your state of mind. Perhaps the loss of respect is no big mystery? I already said something about "sinking to a new low" in my previous post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2562

It is really sad to see that you cannot rise above this kind of thing.

Last edited by Ziggi; 16th October 2016 at 07:17 PM.
Ziggi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 07:15 PM   #2565
Ziggi
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
http://opendb.com/images/merrygoround.gif

Where's the thermite, Ziggi?
Your debating skills are really neat. Do keep it up, this sort of really cool stuff is sure to really impress real researchers! And maybe James Randi is watching, he is sure to be impressed if you just post enough of this sort of stuff, and then he will call you to invite this forum to become part of JREF again!!!
Old 16th October 2016, 07:30 PM   #2566
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Your debating skills are really neat. Do keep it up, this sort of really cool stuff is sure to really impress real researchers! And maybe James Randi is watching, he is sure to be impressed if you just post enough of this sort of stuff, and then he will call you to invite this forum to become part of JREF again!!!
The debate about the Bentham paper has been over for years, Ziggi: It's junk science, and none of the authors appear to be willing or able to correct the experimental deficiencies and logical fallacies. But Basile was supposed to put all this to rest 3 years ago. Where's the thermite, Ziggi?

WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2016, 07:44 PM   #2567
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

The debate about the Bentham paper has been over for years, Ziggi: It's junk science, and none of the authors appear to be willing or able to correct the experimental deficiencies and logical fallacies. But Basile was supposed to put all this to rest 3 years ago. Where's the thermite, Ziggi?

http://opendb.com/images/Bozo.gif
Basile used it all to make his tin(Aluminum,) foil hat.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2016, 06:05 AM   #2568
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

http://opendb.com/images/Bozo.gif
,,,,,,,,, and,,,,,,,,,,,,
Even IF one simply moves to accept the Bentham paper's conclusions are correct, then what?

(ie. the questions it begs)

I have a thread on this which the local truthers are loath to address.
What are the implications of the quantity of unreacted thermite supposedly found in a few small random samples of the dust? To whit, extrapolating from this paper, how much thermite was originally loaded into the towers?
Where was it placed in the towers(to what exact purpose)?
When was this done?(some detail beyond, "when the elevators were inspected")
Who carried out the operation and how many of them were there? Why was this never detected?
Etc., Etc., Etc.,
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2016, 05:10 PM   #2569
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
,,,,,,,,, and,,,,,,,,,,,,
Even IF one simply moves to accept the Bentham paper's conclusions are correct, then what?

(ie. the questions it begs)

I have a thread on this which the local truthers are loath to address.
What are the implications of the quantity of unreacted thermite supposedly found in a few small random samples of the dust? To whit, extrapolating from this paper, how much thermite was originally loaded into the towers?
Where was it placed in the towers(to what exact purpose)?
When was this done?(some detail beyond, "when the elevators were inspected")
Who carried out the operation and how many of them were there? Why was this never detected?
Etc., Etc., Etc.,
You blow your nose with it before you plant the thermite.
Old 17th October 2016, 05:17 PM   #2570
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

The thermite, thermate, nano thermite theories are rediculous, always were, always will be.
Old 18th October 2016, 10:30 AM   #2571
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
The thermite, thermate, nano thermite theories are rediculous, always were, always will be.

DITTO!! You've got that right! That fact that Truthers were easily duped on such theories proves just how naive and gully they really are.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2016, 10:44 AM   #2572
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I see that Ziggi continues to not answer question and not address claims.
He thus loses the various arguments here by default. A concession is implied:
Milette's chips, which he showed not to contain elemental Al, are identical to Harrit et al's chips
AND Steven Jones' MEK chip, that may contain a trace of elemental Al, is not shown to be the correct material to study and must thus be dismissed.
Harrit et al is soundly debunked.
Old 22nd October 2016, 04:10 AM   #2573
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I see that Ziggi continues to not answer question and not address claims.
He thus loses the various arguments here by default. A concession is implied:
Milette's chips, which he showed not to contain elemental Al, are identical to Harrit et al's chips
AND Steven Jones' MEK chip, that may contain a trace of elemental Al, is not shown to be the correct material to study and must thus be dismissed.
Harrit et al is soundly debunked.
Ziggi never had any real answers, as Jones & Harrit were always frauds.

They mislead people on the RJ Lee report and Jones's original theories were the chips were paint chips, he should have stuck with that, but his ego got the best of him.

Looney Tooney theories, are not science.
Old 22nd October 2016, 09:54 AM   #2574
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Ziggi never had any real answers, as Jones & Harrit were always frauds.

They mislead people on the RJ Lee report and Jones's original theories were the chips were paint chips, he should have stuck with that, but his ego got the best of him.

Looney Tooney theories, are not science.

Truthers have made a mockery of themselves over the years. Their 9/11 theorist have been debunked time and time again and in some cases, the evidence that debunked their theories was right in full view of their eyes. For an example, they claimed the WTC Towers collapsed at free fall or near-free fall speed, but a look at videos and photos depict dust plumes and debris outpacing the collapse of those buildings and that was a major clue the buildings were not falling at free fall or even free fall speed!

Another example is where they claimed explosives were responsible and yet, there is no sound of explosions, nor shock waves and even seismic monitors failed to detect demolition explosions. Additionally, no one found evidence of demolition hardware in the WTC rubble. They say that people heard demolition explosions, but those sounds were attributed to things that had nothing to do with explosives. As for the dust sample investigations, they came out negative as well.

I once joked about government-engineered metal eating termites and some Truther actually was going to post my joke on the Internet until I told him that I was joking.

Simply amazing!!

Last edited by skyeagle409; 22nd October 2016 at 09:58 AM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:04 AM   #2575
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Truthers have made a mockery of themselves over the years. Their 9/11 theorist have been debunked time and time again and in some cases, the evidence that debunked their theories was right in full view of their eyes. For an example, they claimed the WTC Towers collapsed at free fall or near-free fall speed, but a look at videos and photos depict dust plumes and debris outpacing the collapse of those buildings and that was a major clue the buildings were not falling at free fall or even free fall speed!

Another example is where they claimed explosives were responsible and yet, there is no sound of explosions, nor shock waves and even seismic monitors failed to detect demolition explosions. Additionally, no one found evidence of demolition hardware in the WTC rubble. They say that people heard demolition explosions, but those sounds were attributed to things that had nothing to do with explosives. As for the dust sample investigations, they came out negative as well.

I once joked about government-engineered metal eating termites and some Truther actually was going to post my joke on the Internet until I told him that I was joking.

Simply amazing!!
When there are serious Flat Earthers, all things are possible.
Old 23rd October 2016, 05:30 AM   #2576
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post

Simply amazing!!
I find it funny that these so called experts, never looked into dirrect reduction.
http://metallics.org.uk/dri/

I just did an experiment on paint chips, what do you know, igniting oil based paint leaves magnetic residue, and under my limited examination it looks like Microspheres.
The microscope I am using does not have photo capabilities.

I used electrical strip heating to ignite the chips in air.

Should I seen them to a better lab, why waste the money on this dead issue?
Old 23rd October 2016, 08:25 AM   #2577
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I just did an experiment on paint chips, what do you know, igniting oil based paint leaves magnetic residue, and under my limited examination it looks like Microspheres.

Not surprising, if the paint had iron oxide pigment in it (likely for any shade that's even partly red).

Try adding a sprinkle of dirt to an ordinary wood fire. Archaeologists know that wood fires in contact with soil leave long-lasting magnetic traces (magnetite) that they can scan for when surveying an ancient site. Some dirt will already contain magnetite, so compare before and after.
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:15 PM   #2578
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Try adding a sprinkle of dirt to an ordinary wood fire. Archaeologists know that wood fires in contact with soil leave long-lasting magnetic traces (magnetite) that they can scan for when surveying an ancient site. Some dirt will already contain magnetite, so compare before and after.
I moved in the summer and now have a fireplace, which I started using a week ago. I am experimenting with fuels - different kinds and chop sizes of wood, briquettes of wood chips or lignite coal; and part of the mix will be waste wood, some of it dirty, that I get from construction and renovation sites (yes, I try to avoid wood that's been heavily treated with problematic chemicals).

Will I need a particularly strong magnet? I have a few magnets that used to close the doors of a cabinet. Not that strong.
Old 23rd October 2016, 05:06 PM   #2579
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Will I need a particularly strong magnet? I have a few magnets that used to close the doors of a cabinet. Not that strong.

That should be sufficient. You don't need to attract particles out of the ashes from a distance away. If they're in there, you'll find them by contact; that is, stirring through the ashes (perhaps with a plastic film covering the magnet) and seeing what sticks to the magnet on the outside of the film.
Old 23rd October 2016, 05:23 PM   #2580
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

I moved in the summer and now have a fireplace, which I started using a week ago. I am experimenting with fuels - different kinds and chop sizes of wood, briquettes of wood chips or lignite coal; and part of the mix will be waste wood, some of it dirty, that I get from construction and renovation sites (yes, I try to avoid wood that's been heavily treated with problematic chemicals).

Qystein, I have already produced, reduced Microspheres from clay, and iron ore, in a chimney effect of a burning hollow dead tree, and I have a video of the tree burning.
Any environment where the reducing Iron is traveling though a gas will produce them.
Just imagine if I set the 65 foot tall dead beach tree I have to take down on fire and burned it.
Oh PS also did a sulfidication experiment in a hollow dead tree, guess what holely steel, from just drywall dust and moisture in the air stream.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:40 AM   #2581
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

A Caveat Oystein:
If you are burning coal in your fireplace, first make sure it is rated for coal and not just wood fire. No sense burning your house down.

In Europe coal ratings may be commonplace though. In N.America not so much, at least not in Canada.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 08:07 AM   #2582
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Eat your heart out Oystein, four years supply of oak and hickory seasoned and stacked.
Best fire wood you can get, hickory not available in europe.

Had some trees dying put them too, to good use, had them cut for timber six loads, and the rest were fire wood.
Still have many small 3' diameter oaks and hickory trees left, as summer shade.

I did leave a few dead trees for the wood peckers, but the wind storms over the years had caused a fungus infection killing the big trees.

PS, using thermite and leaf blowers to burn out the stumps.
Old 27th October 2016, 09:29 AM   #2583
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Eat your heart out Oystein, four years supply of oak and hickory seasoned and stacked.
Best fire wood you can get, hickory not available in europe.
*envy*

I have a couple of birches on the premise which are too tall/shady and man are they dirty, can't open the windows throughout much of the warm season! Neighbor has a few tall and super-shady firs or spruces (can't make myself look closely to tell) that everybody except the neighbor wants to se gone - half my lawn is dead from darkness and acidity, and my apartment is much cooler than it needs to be. If I knew a way to kill a tree quickly but unobviously... I'd even help with the waste disposal

ETA: Yeah, off-topic, but this thread is basically over. The truther side has accepted that Millette looked at the right chips when he proved they are not thermitic, and Harrit and Jones looked at some wrong chips to construct the hucksterous "nano-thermite" nonsense. Perhaps Ziggi will some day return to acknowledge this explicitly, but his implicit acceptance is strong, after having voluntatrily missed so many chances to rebut what I just wrote.

Last edited by Oystein; 27th October 2016 at 09:33 AM.
Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 10:09 AM   #2584
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

*envy*

I have a couple of birches on the premise which are too tall/shady and man are they dirty, can't open the windows throughout much of the warm season! Neighbor has a few tall and super-shady firs or spruces (can't make myself look closely to tell) that everybody except the neighbor wants to se gone - half my lawn is dead from darkness and acidity, and my apartment is much cooler than it needs to be. If I knew a way to kill a tree quickly but unobviously... I'd even help with the waste disposal

ETA: Yeah, off-topic, but this thread is basically over. The truther side has accepted that Millette looked at the right chips when he proved they are not thermitic, and Harrit and Jones looked at some wrong chips to construct the hucksterous "nano-thermite" nonsense. Perhaps Ziggi will some day return to acknowledge this explicitly, but his implicit acceptance is strong, after having voluntatrily missed so many chances to rebut what I just wrote.
Unfortunately, I am an expert on trees, and Chainsaws.

I know how to save them and what mistakes people make that kill them.

Right now I have to pile some stumps, between 2500-20000 pounds to burn.

If you ever have a question about either just let me know, also remember this little saying.

Ash wood wet or ash wood dry a King can always warm his slippers by.
European ash is a great fuel wood the best you can find.
Oak wood seasoned a year burns clean with no creosoting.
Coal smells and can cause metal corrosion dependent on the pyrite sulfur content.

That's the basics.

This thread was dead long ago so I guess being a little off topic doesn't hurt.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:24 AM   #2585
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yet we still have a continued flood of daily comments directed at me [...]

Ten days, not unimpressive.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:07 PM   #2586
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Old 27th October 2016, 01:26 PM   #2587
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

This thread was dead long ago so I guess being a little off topic doesn't hurt.
......................you could always send some of that hickory up to me for my smoker (maybe some of that peach you have down there)....

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 02:14 PM   #2588
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
......................you could always send some of that hickory up to me for my smoker (maybe some of that peach you have down there)....

Peach, apple, wild grape, sassafras, I like to use green hickory nut hulls in a smoker, I actually freeze them in water to keep them green.
That way I can have the best flavor all year long.

Ps. Which type hickory do you want, bitter nut, or Shaggy bark?
Shaggy bark has the nuts you can eat, I gave some hickory nuts, butter nuts, wild Hazel nuts, and ten year old black walnuts to a friend and she baked a bourbon cake, It won first prize at the state fair.

Oh those cakes were good, but I have to wait three years now before the black walnuts will be ready, for the next one.:
Old 27th October 2016, 02:58 PM   #2589
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Peach, apple, wild grape, sassafras, I like to use green hickory nut hulls in a smoker, I actually freeze them in water to keep them green.
That way I can have the best flavor all year long.

Ps. Which type hickory do you want, bitter nut, or Shaggy bark?
Shaggy bark has the nuts you can eat, I gave some hickory nuts, butter nuts, wild Hazel nuts, and ten year old black walnuts to a friend and she baked a bourbon cake, It won first prize at the state fair.

Oh those cakes were good, but I have to wait three years now before the black walnuts will be ready, for the next one.:
Shaggy bark is the only one I'm really familiar with.

Green is always the way to go. I've got a couple local sources for fresh apple, pear and grape vine, so that's what I usually go with. I've got friends that go gaga over mesquite but for me it's too "smoky". I like the "nutty" taste of hickory, I only wish it grew around here.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 03:30 PM   #2590
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Shaggy bark is the only one I'm really familiar with.

Green is always the way to go. I've got a couple local sources for fresh apple, pear and grape vine, so that's what I usually go with. I've got friends that go gaga over mesquite but for me it's too "smoky". I like the "nutty" taste of hickory, I only wish it grew around here.
It is all over my front yard as are the fox and gray squirrels.
Old 27th October 2016, 04:01 PM   #2591
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

It is all over my front yard as are the fox and gray squirrels.
I've got plenty of fox and squirrels, add in bears, deer and more turkeys then I care to mention (We're over run by turkeys).

Plenty of wildlife, not much good smokin wood.

You've exceeded your PM box. I''m interested in these hickory nut hulls. PM me an email, I'd love to pick some up.

Last edited by DGM; 27th October 2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:09 AM   #2592
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

That should be sufficient. You don't need to attract particles out of the ashes from a distance away. If they're in there, you'll find them by contact; that is, stirring through the ashes (perhaps with a plastic film covering the magnet) and seeing what sticks to the magnet on the outside of the film.
Here is a first attempt. I put one soup spoon of fireplace ash (wood and lignite coal) in a plastic bag and moved that over a steel ball with a magnet on top designed to hold paper clips in a cheeky-artsy sort of way.
Didn't pull out many magnetic particles. Some of those that I did pull out got bundled up - the longish thing on the top right of the ballpen tip that I put in there to give a hint what the size is. Photographed with a Canon Powershot SX110 IS, with flashlight, and white-balance a bit too much on the blue side (the container is blue, but not that blue):

The agglomerate particle seems to have a few spheres, and there is a single sphere near the edge at 1 o'clock.
The sand-colored bits to the left of the pen are lumps of extremely fine ash that I could smear out when pushed on.
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:41 AM   #2593
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Not surprising, if the paint had iron oxide pigment in it (likely for any shade that's even partly red).

Last weekend, to play with a cheap microscope attachment I got for my phone, I collected some nickel-iron micrometeorites by sprinkling dirt on a magnet in a plastic bag. They're pretty much everywhere.

Old 3rd November 2016, 10:58 AM   #2594
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Last weekend, to play with a cheap microscope attachment I got for my phone, I collected some nickel-iron micrometeorites by sprinkling dirt on a magnet in a plastic bag. They're pretty much everywhere.

http://opendb.com/images/small20161029_105855.jpeg
Nice. Do you live near Los Alamos or the LLNL?

Some particles may be attracted to the plastic bag by static elictricity. You can distinguish between static and magnetic attraction by moving the magnet along the other side of the plastic. Those particles that stay with the magnet and move along the plastic are magnetic.

You did establish for yourself that they are magnetic, not electro-static, right?
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:21 AM   #2595
Criteria
Critical Thinker

"Some particles may be attracted to the plastic bag by static elictricity.

You can distinguish between static and magnetic attraction by moving the magnet along the other side of the plastic. Those particles that stay with the magnet and move along the plastic are magnetic."
The wealth of knowledge proffered here is truly special.
Criteria is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:26 PM   #2596
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Nice. Do you live near Los Alamos or the LLNL?

Some particles may be attracted to the plastic bag by static elictricity. You can distinguish between static and magnetic attraction by moving the magnet along the other side of the plastic. Those particles that stay with the magnet and move along the plastic are magnetic.

You did establish for yourself that they are magnetic, not electro-static, right?

I dropped them onto a piece of paper by removing the magnet, which should have released only the magnetic particles, and then I moved the magnet under the paper to collect them in a pile, trying to collect the ones that rolled most easily. That still leaves a lot of rust flakes and iron-bearing rock particles, but the micrometeorites are easily identified by being shiny gray, rounded and pitted. The nickel content prevents rusting.
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:03 PM   #2597
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

@ WS
Old 4th November 2016, 10:30 AM   #2598
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Love your new "Make Russia Great Again" hat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories