ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th March 2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Think cancelling classes makes college students safer?

Of course, if they don't have classes to go to, that means they'll be safer, right?

Anyone remember being a college student, and what they get up to?

Morgantown Police forced to deploy tear gas to break up Sunnyside party

Quote:
MORGANTOWN – Charges have been filed against ten people in Morgantown, accused of throwing beer bottles, cans and other debris at police officers tying to break up a large party that shutdown Beverly Avenue.

Earlier this week, West Virginia University announced it was extending spring break for a week and suspending all in-person classes for the rest of the semester as a precaution to spreading the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
Riiight. Follow the link and take a look at the picture.

An extra week of spring break is not going to prevent spreading the coronavirus. If anything, it will probably have the opposite effect.
Old 17th March 2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
So far (as far as I know this morning) West Virginia was the only remaining State in the Union with no reported cases. Idiots likely thought they were safe. Now they're sorry.
Old 17th March 2020, 10:19 AM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They're kids, even if they get sick they're not likely to die. But if they go home to their parents...
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 10:26 AM   #4
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Thinking back to when I was in college, social distancing is pretty much impossible. Many students live in cramped dorms with very little personal space and often rely on crowded communal dining halls for food. This outbreak would rip through on-campus living facilities very quickly.

Closing these schools does offer some difficulty for some students. It's not safe to assume that all of these students actually have someplace to go to.
Old 17th March 2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Mine are home or heading home. We will either have it as a family or try to avoid it.

Part of the point is to avoid the dining hall and dorm rooms, the other is to have someone to help the kids if they get sick. If my kid is four states away and gets really sick while this is going on, who is going to help out?

So, for us, bringing them home makes sense. Also, the bars are all closed and they know I will buy better booze.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Was also thinking about what a great idea it was to dump parents from all over the country into the dorms for a hurry up move, then disperse them back around the country. Pretty sure that helped the spread.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 01:34 PM   #7
grunion
Philosopher

We are doing a 13-hour round trip to college and back tomorrow to pack up my freshman kid's dorm and bring it all home. My oler one is packing themself up and moving back home for the duration. From empty nesters to full house in 48 hours. Just hope the bugs stay away.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
We are doing a 13-hour round trip to college and back tomorrow to pack up my freshman kid's dorm and bring it all home. My oler one is packing themself up and moving back home for the duration. From empty nesters to full house in 48 hours. Just hope the bugs stay away.
Same. I was just thinking how much better spring break was as empty nesters. Really, one of my best spring breaks ever. And now the little ***** are coming home. It'll be nice. I do still miss them, sometimes.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

We've got three home. My oldest is in her last year of law school and was just notified that graduation is cancelled. Bar exam looks to be down indefinitely too.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2020, 07:36 PM   #10
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
We've got three home. My oldest is in her last year of law school and was just notified that graduation is cancelled. Bar exam looks to be down indefinitely too.
My daughter's college graduation is also cancelled. Luckily, she already has a job lined up, starting in April. Some of her classmates who had jobs lined up were not so lucky, as their potential employers rescinded the offer. It really sucks to be graduating into a recession like this.
Old 18th March 2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Thinking back twenty years, the bar review courses were far more crowded than the exam itself. But then most of that can likely be done online now.

Old 18th March 2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Same. I was just thinking how much better spring break was as empty nesters. Really, one of my best spring breaks ever. And now the little ***** are coming home. It'll be nice. I do still miss them, sometimes.
So, the worst part is that they have jobs and my wife has a job and now we are all trying to work from home with various degrees of focus. This house was not built as a small office, too.

Old 18th March 2020, 03:47 PM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Many of them are going on an extended Spring Break anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clearwater.jpg (92.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 23rd March 2020, 02:39 PM   #14
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They're kids, even if they get sick they're not likely to die. But if they go home to their parents...

Then at least their teachers will be safe(r) ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 01:07 AM   #15
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I think it will still reduce the spread quite dramatically, to be honest.

I mean, sure, SOME idiots will then go to parties or to the beach, but the alternative is that ALL go to packed lecture halls and dorms and mess halls. And it's not just the lecture halls at that, which would at least somewhat segregate them by year and whatnot. In my college, when the bell rang and every lecture hall vomited the kids into the hallways, it was almost like a simulation of Tokyo subways. The only way to pack more people into close proximity of each other would have been a concert on a stadium or something.

So yes, SOME will still be idiots and get themselves sick. But SOME < ALL.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:10 AM   #16
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I would also like to add, because it matters a lot, that the idea here isn't to stop the spread COMPLETELY, like a medieval quarantine would. The idea is just to slow down the spread so we don't completely overload the hospitals, until we have a working vaccine. So a few extra people getting infected at a party, well, it's not helping, but it's not the end of the world. As long as it's still less people infected than the alternative, it's still slowing it down.
Old 29th March 2020, 05:58 AM   #17
applecorped
Banned

Well if it's not perfect we shouldn't bother trying it at all
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 03:47 PM   #18
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Well if it's not perfect we shouldn't bother trying it at all
And who is suggesting that? I read the thread, and don't recall that at all.
Old 30th March 2020, 09:03 AM   #19
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
And who is suggesting that? I read the thread, and don't recall that at all.
I think he meant to post it on the Greta thread
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 04:45 PM   #20
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
An extra week of spring break is not going to prevent spreading the coronavirus. If anything, it will probably have the opposite effect.
I wonder what is going on at all school levels. Homeschool for us is completely unaffected.

But you have the grade schools, middle school, and high school kids all cancelled here.

Our lives are completely unaffected other than having to flee the Philippines, lol. We didn't want to get stuck there so we made it out in Mid February.

We've been quarantining since then, still sitting on months in supplies. We don't have jobs other than harvesting natural resources right now, this is the best time to log trees in roadless areas, you can skid amazing amounts of weight and it is warming up.

I am not sure how long you can tell people not to associate. Obviously these kids were not listening from the get-go.

But the restrictions have been way heavier than people were led to believe, in the beginning it was assurances the risk was low. Well sure, when everyone is locked inside their houses, lol.

It's the old people we are accomodating. The kids know that. And they don't give a **** about the old people. The feelings are probably mutual.

I have no feelings one way or the other.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education