ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Old 28th March 2020, 11:49 PM   #1601
RoseMontague
Published Author

Thank you ♥
RoseMontague is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 01:58 PM   #1602
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

LINC

Amanda and her fiancee were in Wilmington, NC for a fundraiser for LINC (leading into new communities) in early February. She gave a wonderful talk, which clearly came from her heart. She was asked about Raffaele's time in solitary. She said that no one asks about him.
Old 29th March 2020, 02:30 PM   #1603
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Amanda and her fiancee were in Wilmington, NC for a fundraiser for LINC (leading into new communities) in early February. She gave a wonderful talk, which clearly came from her heart. She was asked about Raffaele's time in solitary. She said that no one asks about him.
I think this demonstrates just how misogynistic the case was. Raff was hardly ever mentioned except in connection to Amanda. The vast majority of media coverage centered on Amanda, her sex life, her alleged jealousy, her behavior, etc. Even the prosecution centered on her being the instigator of the murder and how she manipulated and controlled Raff. It was her picture splashed all over the media far more than Raff's.

When you look at TJMK or the PMF's, the vast majority of the hatred and venom is targeted at Amanda.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:01 AM   #1604
TomG
Critical Thinker

Amanda kinda singing

Amanda rehearsing "feeling good" in exoneree band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iP3f--IAjM

I'm not sure what to make of it but now you know what Meredith and the rest of the girls had to put up with.

Hoots
Old 31st March 2020, 07:05 PM   #1605
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

No ekSkuse for misinterpreting a Griese test for explosives

"This reminds me a wee bit of the lab tests that were used to frame the Maguire Seven. Samples were taken from under the suspects' finger nails, and from their hands, and tested for explosives. The lab said it had generated positive results, but the reaction was later found to have been due to some sort of coating on playing cards they had been using to while away the time on a train journey." link

Many brands of playing cards were coated with nitrocellulose. Both nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin will give a positive result in the Griess color change test for certain explosives. The Griess test is a test for nitrite ions. I am hesitant to call nitrocellulose a false positive, but in effect that is what it was in this instance. IIRC the forensic worker (Frank Skuse) who was 99% confident that he was detecting nitroglycerin had invented a variant of the Griess test that he thought was more specific than the standard Griess test.

I am bringing this up here because there are some points of comparison with (issues that are common to) the Knox/Sollecite case and other cases of wrongful convictions: A forensic scientist who is overconfident; presumptive tests that are treated as confirmatory tests (different substances but similar two-stage testing ignored); and poorly documented laboratory practices, along with incomplete discovery. See the rest of Rolfe's comment from 2015; in the related Birmingham Six case, one laboratory notebook had pages torn out, a violation of good practice.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 31st March 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:02 PM   #1606
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting. A couple years ago I went through the body scanner at the airport which 'went off'. I was wearing no metal other than my wedding ring and stud earrings and have no metal inside my body from surgeries. I was informed it detected 'something' on more than one place. So I got the full extra security treatment being pulled aside, questioned, and had my luggage gone through extra carefully. They swabbed my hands for explosive residue which was also positive. They then asked if I'd put on hand lotion that day which I had. Turns out it reacts to some lotions. False positives, indeed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 10:54 AM   #1607
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TomG View Post
Amanda rehearsing "feeling good" in exoneree band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iP3f--IAjM

I'm not sure what to make of it but now you know what Meredith and the rest of the girls had to put up with.

Hoots
She sounds pretty good to me.
Old 1st April 2020, 11:04 AM   #1608
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

That was interesting. In the course of an argument about something entirely unconnected with this case, someone asked me on twitter to cite one example of the commentator under discussion being wrong. I replied "Amanda Knox", as a quick win, because some years ago the commentator in question had read a guilter blog, believed it, and blogged about "putting the white charger back in the stable".

Within only a handful of minutes Harry Rag appeared on my timeline, demanding to know what it was that convinced me she was innocent, was it the mixed blood or... And I didn't read any more before blocking him.

But how did he do that?
Old 1st April 2020, 11:57 AM   #1609
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Chutes and Ladders

Don't ask me; I don't understand how social media works, and I am trying to keep it that way. Your story reminds of something that happened a few years ago. I made a comment one time in a private Facebook group to the effect of, 'What does the pro-guilt faction think Amanda was doing at the police station all of those hours, playing Chutes and Ladders?" Not long afterward, advertisements for the board game Chutes and Ladders started showing up on my Facebook feed. That never ceased to amaze me, but apparently a private Facebook group is not entirely private.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:21 PM   #1610
Rolfe

That's just how Facebook works. There are automated algorithms that serve you up advertisements based on what they think you're interested in. Along with the targeted political adverts the political parties and their opponents have paid Facebook lots of money to serve up to people they have profiled as being susceptible to particular approaches.

This is (apparently) an actual human being with a twitter account finding a random mention of the words "Amanda Knox" in the middle of an entirely unrelated discussion about Scottish politics.
Old 1st April 2020, 06:13 PM   #1611
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
That's just how Facebook works. There are automated algorithms that serve you up advertisements based on what they think you're interested in. Along with the targeted political adverts the political parties and their opponents have paid Facebook lots of money to serve up to people they have profiled as being susceptible to particular approaches.

This is (apparently) an actual human being with a twitter account finding a random mention of the words "Amanda Knox" in the middle of an entirely unrelated discussion about Scottish politics.
That's how Google, YouTube qnd Twitter works too. And they look for words in your emails too.
They will feed you what you have been looking at. Given Harry Rag's penchant for anything and everything about Amanda Knox it doesn't surprise me one bit.
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:27 AM   #1612
Rolfe

Do you think Twitter automatically fed him my tweet then? I admit I don't have it set up to do stuff like that, I get the tweets of the people I follow in chronological order, but I see how it could happen.
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:34 AM   #1613
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Within only a handful of minutes Harry Rag appeared on my timeline, demanding to know what it was that convinced me she was innocent, was it the mixed blood or... And I didn't read any more before blocking him.

But how did he do that?

Because he has no life, and spends all day online waiting for anything pro-innocence to show up, so he can denounce it.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:52 AM   #1614
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That's how Google, YouTube qnd Twitter works too. And they look for words in your emails too.
They will feed you what you have been looking at. Given Harry Rag's penchant for anything and everything about Amanda Knox it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Recently my cousin and her husband finally got custody of his teenage daughter, who is very overweight, but her mother insisted on keeping all of her clothes, except what she was wearing. I have a credit card for KingSizeDirect, a website that sells larger-size men's clothes, so I went to one of their companion websites that has larger sizes for women, and used my credit card to buy an electronic gift card for my cousin to use to get clothes for her stepdaughter. I was soon inundated with ads for plus-size women's clothing, and Windows suggested that I install a period tracking program on my laptop.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:19 AM   #1615
Rolfe

You should have seen my office computer after I googled to try to find a front-fastening bra for my mother, who was having trouble reaching round to do up the usual back-fastening style.
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:32 AM   #1616
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

And I just saw another ad for plus-size women's clothes, just from what I typed in my previous post.
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:09 PM   #1617
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think Twitter automatically fed him my tweet then? I admit I don't have it set up to do stuff like that, I get the tweets of the people I follow in chronological order, but I see how it could happen.
Maybe, maybe not. If you mention Amanda Knox in a public tweet and Harry Rag comes online and does a search, he's going to see your tweet. If he searches that text string often it is going to be in his public feed.
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:18 PM   #1618
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Recently my cousin and her husband finally got custody of his teenage daughter, who is very overweight, but her mother insisted on keeping all of her clothes, except what she was wearing. I have a credit card for KingSizeDirect, a website that sells larger-size men's clothes, so I went to one of their companion websites that has larger sizes for women, and used my credit card to buy an electronic gift card for my cousin to use to get clothes for her stepdaughter. I was soon inundated with ads for plus-size women's clothing, and Windows suggested that I install a period tracking program on my laptop.
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:31 PM   #1619
Rolfe

Maybe, maybe not. If you mention Amanda Knox in a public tweet and Harry Rag comes online and does a search, he's going to see your tweet. If he searches that text string often it is going to be in his public feed.

Yeah. It was really quick though. Minutes.
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:42 PM   #1620
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. It was really quick though. Minutes.
Doesn't surprise me. The more you look for a specific text string, the quicker the programs alert you. Given that Harry is extremely active regarding Amanda Knox, it sounds about right.
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:39 PM   #1621
TomG
Critical Thinker

Doesn't surprise me. The more you look for a specific text string, the quicker the programs alert you. Given that Harry is extremely active regarding Amanda Knox, it sounds about right.
Rag is no expert debater, I know this from YouTube. He wouldn't last five minutes over here. He's been proven wrong on multiple occasions but that doesn't matter to Rag, he'll still come out and say the same old stuff time and time again. Mixed blood, bloody footprints, the knife, the bra-clasp, Amanda's partial trace on the bra-clasp, the alleged woman's size 37 footprint and more are still very much live and kicking between his ears, the facts don't matter. His M.O. is simply to drain his adversary by sheer obstinacy, then repeat it all elsewhere.

Hoots
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:25 PM   #1622
Rolfe

Who is he? Does anyone know?
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:26 PM   #1623
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Who is he? Does anyone know?
No. There is a theory that 'Raf' is actually a team of posters.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:30 PM   #1624
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Rag is no expert debater, I know this from YouTube. He wouldn't last five minutes over here. He's been proven wrong on multiple occasions but that doesn't matter to Rag, he'll still come out and say the same old stuff time and time again. Mixed blood, bloody footprints, the knife, the bra-clasp, Amanda's partial trace on the bra-clasp, the alleged woman's size 37 footprint and more are still very much live and kicking between his ears, the facts don't matter. His M.O. is simply to drain his adversary by sheer obstinacy, then repeat it all elsewhere.

Hoots
Being proved wrong on here multiple occasions hasn't fazed one or two colpevolisti.

Although they have gone very, very quiet on here the last few weeks.
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:35 PM   #1625
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hoots
He doesn't care. For grins, I looked up Amanda Knox on Twitter and Rag posts are everywhere and multiple posts almost daily. This person's life is about trashing Amanda. Facts be damned. One of the last tweets of his I read was an out and out lie about blood on Amanda.

I'm not daring to search for Harry Rag. My guess is that I've barely uncovered the tip of the iceberg.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:42 AM   #1626
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TomG

Hoots
He doesn't care. For grins, I looked up Amanda Knox on Twitter and Rag posts are everywhere and multiple posts almost daily. This person's life is about trashing Amanda. Facts be damned. One of the last tweets of his I read was an out and out lie about blood on Amanda.

I'm not daring to search for Harry Rag. My guess is that I've barely uncovered the tip of the iceberg.
Harry Rag/The Machine is not interested in debate. He's only interested in enlightening us to his point of view. Facts be damned.

Don't forget, between November 2007 and April 2010 the guilters, like Rag, owned the "debate". The first trial had been over for 4 months by April 2010, and that trial had found Raffaele (remember him?) and what's-her-name guilty.

Why April 2010? Because that's when the Massei motivations report came out, and it was a head-scratcher how Massei could have convicted based on what he had written. He wrote, amongst other things, no mixed blood, no motive, it had been Rudy Guede's motive, Amanda and Meredith had been friends with no tensions (not the kind which would have led to murder, etc.), no latent psychopathology in either of the kids, that Raffaele had called the Carabinieri **before** the arrival of the postal police, etc., etc., etc.

Amanda by accident had carried that kitchen knife from Raffaele's, not because of premeditation.... I think everyone here knows that drill.

Yet from November 2007 until April 2010, guilters like Rag had had free rein, with nothing to correct their claims. If someone pushed back, they could always fall back on, "well, they'd been convicted!!!!"

To this day, a full decade later, Rag continues with those pre-April 2010 claims. Continues as if there has been nothing since. Indeed, it is attack, attack, attack anything which interferes with his pre-April 2010 orthodoxy.

So it is - Rag is not interested in "debate", not now. He already "knows" what is true. It's just too bad for him that the whole world has moved on. It's been 5 years, 60 months and one pandemic later, since the Italian courts exonerated the pair. (What we hear from Rag, et al., is the dual claim that the ISC had not exonerated them, while at the same time that the ISC had been bent **for** exonerating them! That's quite the trick to keep those two balls in the air at the same time!)

In the last 5 years - not a peep from the Italian courts. Nothing. Nada. Save for Andrea Vogt reporting that in 2016 a local, Italian nutcase had gone to a Florence court trying to reopen the case - only to be laughed out of court - there's been nothing. Zero. Italy has gone on with it.

But not Rag. He's not debating, he's in a pre-April 2010 feedback loop.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:58 AM   #1627
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Rag is one of the major reasons the term "nutters" is used.

Meanwhile, over on TJMK, not a word about the actual Kercher case since mid-February. Quennell has hijacked his own website to report on the pandemic.
Old 7th April 2020, 09:26 PM   #1628
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm starting to worry about Vixen. She hasn't made an appearance in weeks.
Old 8th April 2020, 05:19 AM   #1629
whoanellie
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm starting to worry about Vixen. She hasn't made an appearance in weeks.
Vixen was suspended from this forum on 2/16/20 for 2 weeks. I don't believe she's been back since then. I am not sure if I really miss her or I'm just getting bored sitting at home.

Last edited by whoanellie; 8th April 2020 at 05:20 AM.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:06 AM   #1630
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
Vixen was suspended from this forum on 2/16/20 for 2 weeks. I don't believe she's been back since then. I am not sure if I really miss her or I'm just getting bored sitting at home.
What does this say about the rest of us, that Vixen has moved on and we haven't?

Don't answer that!
Old 8th April 2020, 11:11 AM   #1631
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You're bored.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:10 PM   #1632
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Did she? I wonder what for.
Old 8th April 2020, 01:00 PM   #1633
whoanellie
Muse

Did she? I wonder what for.
I don't know what for. Must have been in another thread.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 01:43 AM   #1634
whoanellie
Muse

You're bored.
you must be right
Old 9th April 2020, 04:28 AM   #1635
TomG
Critical Thinker

Bloody footprints again

I'm aware that this has been discussed quite recently, however there are a few anomalies that I'd like clarified so opinions are welcome. These relate to the trail of bloody shoe prints left by Rudy on exiting VDP. I've been looking at some photographs from the pro-guilt wiki that (IMO) suggest a different quality of Rudy's shoe prints in Meredith's bedroom:

http://themurderofmeredithkercher.co...s-complete.pdf

I'm looking at photograph 19 in particular that shows a different consistency of blood than the earlier ones. I'm now of the opinion that at some point Rudy realised he was making bloody shoe prints in Meredith's room and went out to rinse his shoe (trainer) as well as the leg of his jeans, making the footprint on the blue mat in the process. He then put his sock back on and came back into Meredith's room before putting his shoe back on, making these watery/bloody footprints. It was then that he made the single trail of footprints extending along the hallway fading towards the front door.

I don't agree with the double journey from the front door back to Meredith's bedroom since even although his footprints might have faded visually by the time he got to the front door, and been non-existent on the return journey they could certainly have been picked up by luminol and TMB on the cops visit to VDP on 18th Dec.

Any takers?
Old 9th April 2020, 09:42 AM   #1636
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Tom, the only person who knows is Guede and he is never going to talk. What I do know is that there are no shoe prints of Raffaele anywhere. If he was in that bedroom, he'd have walked in blood just as Guede did and left a shoe print somewhere. If he had so much blood on his shoe(s) that he had to rinse his foot in the bidet leaving the bloody footprint, he'd have left a bloody shoe print somewhere. The notion that he cleaned them up is nonsense. How could he have differentiated his from Guede's? Even if he could, Luminol revealed none of the tell tale swirls or swipes left from wiping up blood.
Old 9th April 2020, 11:41 AM   #1637
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TomG
I don't agree with the double journey from the front door back to Meredith's bedroom since even although his footprints might have faded visually by the time he got to the front door, and been non-existent on the return journey they could certainly have been picked up by luminol and TMB on the cops visit to VDP on 18th Dec.

Any takers?
Tom, the only person who knows is Guede and he is never going to talk. What I do know is that there are no shoe prints of Raffaele anywhere. If he was in that bedroom, he'd have walked in blood just as Guede did and left a shoe print somewhere. If he had so much blood on his shoe(s) that he had to rinse his foot in the bidet leaving the bloody footprint, he'd have left a bloody shoe print somewhere. The notion that he cleaned them up is nonsense. How could he have differentiated his from Guede's? Even if he could, Luminol revealed none of the tell tale swirls or swipes left from wiping up blood.
Absent a credible "opposition" I agree with Stacyhs. The only one who knows is Guede and he ain't talking.

The credible "opposition" has never really existed. If by that some think of the guilter-nutters, they've never been able to make a case against AK and/or RS, and that issue is the only one that (at one time) used to be at issue.

The case is this - Rudy Guede killed Meredith Kercher, in a sex-attack gone wrong. He acted alone. The minutiae of it will never been known, unless Guede himself starts talking.
Old 9th April 2020, 12:15 PM   #1638
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
Absent a credible "opposition" I agree with Stacyhs. The only one who knows is Guede and he ain't talking.

The credible "opposition" has never really existed. If by that some think of the guilter-nutters, they've never been able to make a case against AK and/or RS, and that issue is the only one that (at one time) used to be at issue.

The case is this - Rudy Guede killed Meredith Kercher, in a sex-attack gone wrong. He acted alone. The minutiae of it will never been known, unless Guede himself starts talking.
One quibble: a burglary turned into an opportunistic sex attack gone wrong.
Old 9th April 2020, 12:36 PM   #1639
TomG
Critical Thinker

Smile

The question that Harry Rag has brought up on YouTube is if Rudy's Shoeprints lead directly from Meredith's bedroom up to the front door at VDP, how can he leave the footprint on the blue mat, as though it was my responsibility to explain it to him. I've countered by saying that since Raffaele wasn't present at the source of the blood it would be impossible for him to make the footprint on the blue mat so it must be Rudy's.

However, the subject still intrigues me. For me the answer is in photographs 19-21 in the link that shows very watery looking bloody shoeprints compared to the earlier ones in the presentation. The photograph IMO is a clear indication that Rudy took off his trainer off when he was in Meredith's room, rinsed it, and put it back on in Meredith's room, making the bare footprint on the blue mat in the process. So how did Rudy lock Meredith's door if the shoeprints lead directly from Meredith's bedroom to the front door, with no shoeprints actually facing her door? I've tried this myself and found it just as easy to rotate 90 degrees at the waist to lock the door even though my feet were pointing away from it.

Is anyone in agreement with me regarding the consistency of the blood in the photographs up-thread?

Apologies for not hooting in the previous post.

Hoots
Old 9th April 2020, 02:21 PM   #1640
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

One quibble: a burglary turned into an opportunistic sex attack gone wrong.
Quibble noted and accepted.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors