ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , healing

Old 26th March 2020, 03:39 AM   #81
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Just to be clear. It wasn't me who said that!

Another data point:

Conservative Pastor Claims He 'Healed' Viewers of Coronavirus Through Their TV Screens
https://www.newsweek.com/conservativ...creens-1492044

Kenneth Copeland this time.
Same scam-artist who said Gawd wanted him to have two personal Learjets. But Gawd didn't pay, his hoodwinked sheep did. And here he goes again - can't help himself.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 10:46 AM   #82
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Aaand, in Michigan, the rules of no gatherings over 50 people won't be enforced for churches:

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...people-gather/
I posted this in another thread, but it works here too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9424456.html

Quote:
In early March, before First Assembly of God church in Greers Ferry, Arkansas, called off all of its activities to prevent the spread of coronavirus, just like other churches across the country, dozens of participants gathered at the church for a children’s program.

Now, 34 people who attended that event have come down with the coronavirus, according to a deacon at this rural evangelical church 75 miles north of Little Rock, who spoke to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Two visiting evangelists who led the event tested positive. One child who visited the church for the program has the illness. Thirty-one church members and staff have all tested positive, with more still awaiting their test results.
We're very proud of the job we've done.
Death is death . . . We've done a great job.
President Donald J. Trump
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 11:00 AM   #83
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And another genius running a church creates a Covid-19 cluster: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...b6e051e8dcd517
Old 26th March 2020, 11:07 AM   #84
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I can't help feeling a bit of schadenfreude over the fact that the vast majority of people who are going to get sick by going to these churches are Trump supporters.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:14 AM   #85
Steve
Philosopher

I am in favor of these churches staying open. "....... let their god sort then out." comes to mind.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:24 AM   #86
dann
Penultimate Amazing

But much like with the spring breakers, it won't stay within the congregations of bible thumpers.
The fundamentalist Christians will help the coronavirus obey God's command:
Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 09:45 PM   #87
dann
Penultimate Amazing

And another genius running a church creates a Covid-19 cluster: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...b6e051e8dcd517
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I can't help feeling a bit of schadenfreude over the fact that the vast majority of people who are going to get sick by going to these churches are Trump supporters.

Paula White was in this particular church on March 6, helping spread the word and the virus:

Trump's spiritual adviser coming to town to hold 'Evangelicals for Trump' rally next Friday (Cincinnati Enquirer, Feb. 28, 2020)
Trump is holding a campaign rally at a viciously anti-LGBTQ church (LGBTQ Nation, March 3, 2020)
Quote:
At the start of the rally, Solid Rock Church Pastor Lawrence Bishop II prayed reporters would give positive coverage of the event. If they didn't, he jokingly called for a mild plague on them.
Trump's minister rallies Cincinnati evangelicals: 'We put God right at the center of the White House' (Cincinnati Enquirer, March 8, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 02:26 PM   #88
Thor 2
Philosopher

Was inspirational to hear the preacher giving God the credit, for beating TB so many years ago. Didn't mention who created the TB in the first place however. Oh! ...... that would have been the Devil I suppose. Now who created the devil?
Old 27th March 2020, 02:53 PM   #89
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Now who created the devil?
I'd be happy to lay odds that 90% of christians could not answer that question with biblical accuracy.
Old 27th March 2020, 03:11 PM   #90
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Pastor who claimed COVID 19 was a hoax dies of it.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...ies-from-virus
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 05:14 PM   #91
Thor 2
Philosopher

I'd be happy to lay odds that 90% of christians could not answer that question with biblical accuracy.

Yes it's one of those curly ones that Abrahamic God believers struggle with.

Me: If God created the Devil Perfect how come he turned into such a bastard.

Theist: God gave him free will so it was his own fault he turned out bad.

Me: If the Devil made such a bad decision then his judgement could not have been perfect.

Theist: Hum ............... do you have another question?

Ezekiel 28/15 (Addressing the Devil.)

Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Now just who put that iniquity in there?
Old 27th March 2020, 05:16 PM   #92
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I know I shouldn't have schadenfreude because someone mentally ill died ironic and karmic death, but I am just human.
Old 27th March 2020, 05:45 PM   #93
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I see a certain pastor with a very famous father is flooding the airwaves with Pray the Coronavirus Away ads. "Just say this prayer and you will be cured. Oh, and visit the website and send us money."
Old 27th March 2020, 09:06 PM   #94
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Yes, god is in control, but when pissed off by the infidels, he tends to smite with a scatter gun.
Athyrio is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 09:49 AM   #95
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think we have had any Sikhs yet:
Quote:
Religious leader dies of COVID-19 after preaching in over dozen villages in Punjab state, prompting strict restrictions.
(...)
The case has stunned India and a popular Punjabi singer based in Canada, Sidhu Moose Wala, released a song about Singh that has been viewed on YouTube more than 2.3 million times in less than two days.
"I passed on the disease ... roaming around the village like a shadow of death," say the lyrics to the song, which Punjab's police chief Dinkar Gupta has encouraged people to listen to as a warning.
India quarantines 15,000 after virus kills 'super-spreader' guru (Al Jazeera, March 28, 2020)

Last edited by dann; 29th March 2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 29th March 2020, 11:57 AM   #96
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Easter Sunday is two weeks away. It'll be interesting to see if the churches are packed like Trump wants. Probably some will be, the ones that attract his supporters.
Old 29th March 2020, 12:54 PM   #97
dann
Penultimate Amazing

For some of them, in particular old people with comorbidities, that is an act of suicidal devotion akin to the final moment of rapture of the Heaven's Gaters.
Old 30th March 2020, 06:08 AM   #98
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Impact of the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic on religion (Wikipedia)
Old 30th March 2020, 07:34 AM   #99
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I presume this must be something I have in common with most other former watchers of Babylon 5: I keep being reminded of the Markab.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 11:48 AM   #100
Nakani
Muse

I just saw an ad on TV for the improved Ark encounter, "Opening Soon". They better make room in the bible for a new ironic chapter in the Ark saga.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:59 PM   #101
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Another group of religious fundamentalists insist on doing it their own way:

Quote:
Israel's ultra-Orthodox, also known as the Haredim, make up just 14% of the country's total population but comprises a disproportionately large number of coronavirus patients. At Tel Hashomer hospital outside Tel Aviv, 60% of the coronavirus patients are ultra-Orthodox, spokesman Steve Walz tells CNN
Some ultra-Orthodox Jews are ignoring Israel's coronavirus rules, despite a warning to 'wake up!' (CNN, March 31, 2020)
Old 31st March 2020, 05:12 PM   #102
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Like Trump and all other belligerent self-destructive idiots, the more you repeatedly and heatedly tell these people they need to do something for their own good, they more they will pout, dig their heels in and be defiant and do the opposite.

If they are going to insist on putting themselves at risk then they can live...and die...with the consequences. It's not even a case of "I told you so". It's "be it on your own head". Let them do it. Be prepared to have to sweep up after the catastrophe.

Sometimes some lessons are VERY hard learned. And sometimes they are NEVER learned.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 04:09 AM   #103
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Like Trump and all other belligerent self-destructive idiots, the more you repeatedly and heatedly tell these people they need to do something for their own good, they more they will pout, dig their heels in and be defiant and do the opposite.

If they are going to insist on putting themselves at risk then they can live...and die...with the consequences. It's not even a case of "I told you so". It's "be it on your own head". Let them do it. Be prepared to have to sweep up after the catastrophe.

Sometimes some lessons are VERY hard learned. And sometimes they are NEVER learned.

But in this case there's one lesson that atheists tend to forget when they find joy in the idea of Christian fundamentalists exposing themselves to the contagion and dying from it: Even if you are cynical about it and tell them, 'Be it on your own head' or 'You've made your bed, now lie in it!,' it doesn't stay on their heads, and this is a bed that we are all lying in - unless you belong to the chosen 0.1%.
Old 1st April 2020, 05:12 AM   #104
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But in this case there's one lesson that atheists tend to forget when they find joy in the idea of Christian fundamentalists exposing themselves to the contagion and dying from it: Even if you are cynical about it and tell them, 'Be it on your own head' or 'You've made your bed, now lie in it!,' it doesn't stay on their heads, and this is a bed that we are all lying in - unless you belong to the chosen 0.1%.
I take not one milligram of joy from letting these people self-destruct in a fit of pique. Because there will be among them many children die who should otherwise not. But it has reached the stage that only the results of a REAL biblical-style plague hurting THEM will get most of them to wake up. This will be no cute bible story in Sunday School which only has a moral to it. It's the real thing, it's not very nice, people will suffer, it brings mass dead...and they alone will be responsible.

You can also bet your bottom dollar/euro that the ringleaders responsible like Copeland and Graham will have long since hightailed it to their super-yachts, there to isolate in luxury. Torpedoes away!

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st April 2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 1st April 2020, 05:52 AM   #105
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I take not one milligram of joy from letting these people self-destruct in a fit of pique. Because there will be among them many children die who should otherwise not. But it has reached the stage that only the results of a REAL biblical-style plague hurting THEM will get most of them to wake up.

You put a lot of faith in the impact of real biblical-style plagues. They hardly ever make any of them "wake up", let alone "most of them." On the contrary, biblical-style plagues supply otherwise happy and content people with a need to believe.

Quote:
This will be no cute bible story in Sunday School which only has a moral to it. It's the real thing, it's not very nice, people will suffer, it brings mass dead...and they alone will be responsible.

No, not really. A minority won't survive it, which will permanently cure them of all beliefs, a larger minority will go through a very unpleasant time and they may come out of it with scarred lungs, and the rest will either experience it as a bout of flu or not even notice it at all. Except for the first group, they will have been spared, God will have shown mercy, and considering what he's demonstrably capable of doing when he gets pissed, their faith will be so much firmer than it ever was. Most people, believers in particular, aren't Voltaires.

Quote:
You can also bet your bottom dollar/euro that the ringleaders responsible like Copeland and Graham will have long since hightailed it to their super-yachts, there to isolate in luxury. Torpedoes away!

I don't doubt that part of it at all. However, we have already seen cases of captains of religion going down with their ships. The ships, however, usually stay afloat after the captains have drowned.
Old 1st April 2020, 06:30 AM   #106
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Data point:

Louisiana pastor defies coronavirus order, draws over 1K people to services

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eople-n1168501

"It’s not a concern," Spell told the outlet. "The virus, we believe, is politically motivated. We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says."
That happened in 1918 a few times too. Lock them up.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 06:32 AM   #107
catsmate
No longer the 1

Oh dear. How unfortunate.

ETA: I note that right up until he collapsed he was spreading Covid-18 in New Orleans. Nor did he follow the example of Don Giuseppe Berardelli.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 1st April 2020 at 06:35 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:37 AM   #108
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Was he there for Mardi Gras?!
Old 1st April 2020, 11:41 AM   #109
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But in this case there's one lesson that atheists tend to forget when they find joy in the idea of Christian fundamentalists exposing themselves to the contagion and dying from it...
Aside from the odd case like the pastor who died from it, I don't think anyone's expressing joy about congregations being infected, and for precisely the reason you note - they will spread it to believers and non-believers alike.

What I'm seeing is disgust, disappointment and anger, no joy.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:08 PM   #110
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

This can't be true, surely, not even in America:

Central Park Tent Hospital: Volunteers Must Agree To Anti-Gay Christian Dogma

Quote:
The new coronavirus field hospital in Central Park is being run by Samaritan’s Purse, a notoriously anti-gay Christian hate group run by the equally notorious Franklin Graham. Adding insult to injury, the anti-gay conservative Christian organization demands that all volunteers adhere to their “statement of faith” which entails an explicitly anti-gay agenda.

The Gothamist reports:

According to the group’s website, all volunteers, including health care workers, should read and adhere to a statement of faith, in which marriage is defined as “exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female” and the unrighteous are sentenced to “everlasting punishment in hell.”
Old 1st April 2020, 12:32 PM   #111
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm going to be charitable and suggest that someone has run two things together that are not actually together. First, Samaritan's Purse are providing an emergency tent hospital in Central Park run by volunteers. Second, SP the entity USUALLY force their workers to sign such an agreement. The assumption has been that the first has actually led to the second in this case.

Honestly I would not be surprised if they have tried to do this. But in such a heterogeneous and belligerent city as New York, they would be instantly marmalised if they started asking patients on admittance if they were gay, and then denying them treatment. It would be global bad publicity. And right now that's not desirable.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:32 PM   #112
dann
Penultimate Amazing

April 1st?

ETA: Others have picked it up, so maybe not.
Controversy Swirls Around Central Park Field Hospital Regarding Group Building It (NBC New York, April 1, 2020)
Coronavirus Hospital In Central Park Sparks Backlash Over Anti-LGBTQ Ties (HuffPost, March 31, 2020)
De Blasio: Evangelical charity running Central Park hospital won’t discriminate (NYPost, March 31, 2020)

Last edited by dann; 1st April 2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:34 PM   #113
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Aside from the odd case like the pastor who died from it, I don't think anyone's expressing joy about congregations being infected, and for precisely the reason you note - they will spread it to believers and non-believers alike.

What I'm seeing is disgust, disappointment and anger, no joy.

I hope you're right.
Old 1st April 2020, 01:20 PM   #114
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You'll know them as Christians by their hate.
Old 1st April 2020, 01:45 PM   #115
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You'll know them as Christians by their hate.

Seem like a nice bunch of guys.

Has any Bible thumper suggested the coronavirus pandemic, is the result of God's wrath because of homosexuality yet? They are a bit slow off the mark if not.
Old 1st April 2020, 02:35 PM   #116
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Seem like a nice bunch of guys.

Has any Bible thumper suggested the coronavirus pandemic, is the result of God's wrath because of homosexuality yet? They are a bit slow off the mark if not.
Probably. I'll have to check Right-Wing Watch.

And speaking of Teh Gay, the tent hospital in NYC's Central Park is being put up by a virulently anti-gay organization associated with Franklin Graham. There are concerns; they normally require employees and volunteers to sign some sort of anti-gay pledge.

Also, FL governor DeSantis has very belatedly issued a stay-at-home order but specifically exempted religious services.

ETA: Oops, I learned about the tent hospital thing just above.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 1st April 2020 at 02:42 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 02:40 PM   #117
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here ya go.
And of course, good 'ol Pat Robertson.

Lots more I'm sure.
Old 1st April 2020, 03:11 PM   #118
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Lots of them.

It does show the god's sense of humour, though.

Punish fags by creating a disease that kills old christians.

That'll teach them!
Old 1st April 2020, 03:26 PM   #119
Thor 2
Philosopher

Lots of them.

It does show the god's sense of humour, though.

Punish fags by creating a disease that kills old christians.

That'll teach them!

Yes the Abrahamic God always struggled with the problem of who to punish for what, so I suppose it's understandable. I suspect the infection rate among the devout, is going to be higher than that of the heathen worldwide, because of their insistence to gather and pray.

Oh no ........ what did I say! Dann is going to jump on this and say I am gleeful about it.
Old 1st April 2020, 07:13 PM   #120
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yes the Abrahamic God always struggled with the problem of who to punish for what, so I suppose it's understandable. I suspect the infection rate among the devout, is going to be higher than that of the heathen worldwide, because of their insistence to gather and pray.
Add to that the fact that bleevers have a much older demographic than normal people and you might see a harvest of four times the average.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy