ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Mike Hughes

Old 24th February 2020, 06:25 AM   #201
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
it also makes no sense to man the rocket for flights that aren't even going to go very far.
It makes perfect sense if your goal is a spectacular death.
Old 24th February 2020, 06:26 AM   #202
BinDerSmokDat
New Blood

RIP Mike Hughes, Flat Flat Earther.
BinDerSmokDat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 07:15 AM   #203
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Thank you for the link.
Old 24th February 2020, 07:43 AM   #204
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Thank you for the link.

They did the same thing with Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives, a fake documentary that purported to present evidence of living megalodons roaming the modern oceans.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 08:11 AM   #205
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I saw the documentary Rocketman: Mad Mike's Mission to Prove the Flat-Earth and I thought that Mike Hughes was both very brave and very stupid.

As far as I was concerned, the idea of risking your life to prove a fact that has been well established for over 2000 years was quite stupid indeed. Therefore, I am not at all surprised that Mike Hughes died in his attempt to prove a fact that had already long been proven.

What a foolish waste of a very brave, very dedicated and very intelligent individual.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 08:35 AM   #206
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
What a foolish waste of a very brave, very dedicated and very intelligent individual.
I'd say he was stupid as hell. I'm actually happy he only killed himself, and not anybody else.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 09:10 AM   #207
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

As far as I was concerned, the idea of risking your life to dis-prove a fact that has been well established for over 2000 years was quite stupid indeed. Therefore, I am not at all surprised that Mike Hughes died in his attempt to dis-prove a fact that had already long been proven.

Small correction above. Your post made it sound like he was trying to double-check existing data rather than trying to prove that existing data was wrong.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 09:34 AM   #208
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I'd say he was stupid as hell. I'm actually happy he only killed himself, and not anybody else.
After seeing his documentary, I got the impression that he was trying to die in the act of doing something that he could do while getting the public to notice him.

And considering his background is that of a Stunt Man for various movies and TV shows, then I am not terribly surprised by his attitude.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 09:35 AM   #209
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Small correction above. Your post made it sound like he was trying to double-check existing data rather than trying to prove that existing data was wrong.
In the documentary that I referred to, it sure sounded as if he was trying to prove an already well established fact.
Old 24th February 2020, 11:48 AM   #210
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Actually, I think he gets something of a bum rap. Arguably, his development program was better than the early days of the US space program.

This was his second manned launch. The first one, in March of 2018, made it to 1,875 feet, with a successful (although somewhat hard) landing.

He then went for a fairly modest step up, with a projected altitude of about 5,000 feet. I've no idea how that parachute got loose, but this was not obviously a failure by a complete moron. If someone does a post-mortem on the wreckage, he might be established as a partial moron, but that's not the same thing.

You might want to go to Youtube and look at some of the early rocket launch videos. Hint: search on "US missile launch failure".

At the least, he avoided the perils of high-energy combustion, as his propellant was silver-catalyzed hydrogen peroxide. Frankly, I doubt he ever had a snowball's chance of making it to a high enough altitude to take the photos he supposedly wanted, given the limited Isp of his propellant, but that doesn't fall into the Darwin Award category.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:15 PM   #211
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Actually, I think he gets something of a bum rap. Arguably, his development program was better than the early days of the US space program.

This was his second manned launch. The first one, in March of 2018, made it to 1,875 feet, with a successful (although somewhat hard) landing.

He then went for a fairly modest step up, with a projected altitude of about 5,000 feet. I've no idea how that parachute got loose, but this was not obviously a failure by a complete moron. If someone does a post-mortem on the wreckage, he might be established as a partial moron, but that's not the same thing.
I totally disagree. Yes, he build decent rocket. The fact that he stepped inside, and that he did it to prove Earth is flat, proves beyond any doubt, that he indeed was complete moron.
I don't really want to laugh at the guy. He was not evil. He was victim of hist stupidity. Also he did it in spectacular way. I even kinda admire him. Seems like cool way to go. But don't say he wasn't moron.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:30 PM   #212
Crossbow

I totally disagree. Yes, he build decent rocket. The fact that he stepped inside, and that he did it to prove Earth is flat, proves beyond any doubt, that he indeed was complete moron.
I don't really want to laugh at the guy. He was not evil. He was victim of hist stupidity. Also he did it in spectacular way. I even kinda admire him. Seems like cool way to go. But don't say he wasn't moron.
Thanks much.

This is just about what I was thinking.

I expect that with his background as an entertainer, then like many entertainers he wanted to exit the stage in the most memorable way that he could think of.

And while getting yourself killed in a home-made rocket in order to prove/disprove some sort of flat Earth nonsense is definitely moronic but it is also produces a death that is definitely memorable.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:36 PM   #213
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Completely agree with this.
kali1137 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:53 PM   #214
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

also agree
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:38 PM   #215
ahhell
Illuminator

Any conspiracists flogging the idea that he was sabotaged to prevent the truth about the flat earth from getting out there?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:50 PM   #216
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

There is a poster here who will sometimes comment that for most people, most of the time, it really makes no difference if the earth is flat or not. I think this was true for Mr. Hughes. There were so many other scientific and engineering issues that he didn't properly take care of that the shape of the earth was not his primary concern there at the end.

Watching the arc of that death trap after the 'chute had been ripped off was just head shaking. Was he already dead? Did he fail to use some backup 'chute? Did he even have a backup 'chute? Such a long arc with such a predictable ending.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:54 PM   #217
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
There is a poster here who will sometimes comment that for most people, most of the time, it really makes no difference if the earth is flat or not. I think this was true for Mr. Hughes. There were so many other scientific and engineering issues that he didn't properly take care of that the shape of the earth was not his primary concern there at the end.

Watching the arc of that death trap after the 'chute had been ripped off was just head shaking. Was he already dead? Did he fail to use some backup 'chute? Did he even have a backup 'chute? Such a long arc with such a predictable ending.
He had multiple parachute systems, but they all required manual activation from inside the rocket. So, it appears that he may have been incapacitated. If so, that makes the video a little less disturbing to watch.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:56 PM   #218
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Yes, believing in a flat Earth and not properly sorting out your recovery system* are two different things.

*which he always had problems with.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:16 PM   #219
jadebox
Graduate Poster

At the least, he avoided the perils of high-energy combustion, as his propellant was silver-catalyzed hydrogen peroxide. Frankly, I doubt he ever had a snowball's chance of making it to a high enough altitude to take the photos he supposedly wanted, given the limited Isp of his propellant, but that doesn't fall into the Darwin Award category.
Any number of professional or amateur rocketeers could have helped him build a safer and better rocket. Instead he relied on his own instincts. While the US didn't put a man in a rocket until they demonstrated that the systems worked, Hughes boarded his rocket in spite of the recovery systems having never worked correctly.

His current rocket was steam-powered using a pressure vessel made from a part salvaged from a B-52. He wasn't using Hydrogen Peroxide, though he was designing a rocket that would be launched from a balloon and use hydrogen peroxide.

Last edited by jadebox; 24th February 2020 at 02:21 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #220
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Well, 2020 barely started, and we already have a spectacularly strong contender for a Darwin Award. What a time to be alive
That was my first thought on seeing the news, "Slam Dunk for a Darwin Award Finalist, and it will have to be a really good year for suicidal idiots for him to lose".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #221
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Any number of professional or amateur rocketeers could have helped him build a safer and better rocket. Instead he relied on his own instincts. While the US didn't put a man in a rocket until they demonstrated that the systems worked, Hughes boarded his rocket in spite of the recovery systems having never worked correctly.

His current rocket was steam-powered using a pressure vessel made from a part salvaged from a B-52. He wasn't using Hydrogen Peroxide, though he was designing a rocket that would be launched from a balloon and use hydrogen peroxide.
Pity the world will now be deprived of seeing that sound concept put into practice.
Old 24th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #222
Davidonapond2020
New Blood

He could've accomplished his goal by using a go-pro and a weather balloon. That's been done numerous times and no one died.
Davidonapond2020 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:36 PM   #223
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Pity the world will now be deprived of seeing that sound concept put into practice.
Yeah. Rockoons seem like such an obvious and simple way to get a rocket into space. But, practically it is a very difficult trick to pull off. There are lots of issues like how to ignite the rocket motor in a low pressure environment, how to ensure that balloon is in the right location and the rocket is pointed in the right direction, and how to stabilize the balloon and rocket.

And, the use of high-test peroxide adds the challenge of not killing yourself while handling high-test peroxide.
Old 24th February 2020, 02:40 PM   #224
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

I just had a thought, don't Flatties have a beef with gravity too?

Well at least 'The Rocketman' demonstrated at least one of their beliefs wrong.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:41 PM   #225
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Davidonapond2020 View Post
He could've accomplished his goal by using a go-pro and a weather balloon. That's been done numerous times and no one died.
His goal was to launch himself in a rocket and to push its limits and his.

I don't think that he had any interest in proving the Earth is flat. According to interviews, he knew the Earth is flat, so there was nothing to prove. According to someone who knew him, he knew that the Earth isn't flat, so there was nothing to prove.

Last edited by jadebox; 24th February 2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 24th February 2020, 02:41 PM   #226
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

That won't give you the Darwin award though.
Old 24th February 2020, 02:51 PM   #227
Deadie
Scholar

This was his second manned launch. The first one, in March of 2018, made it to 1,875 feet

He then went for a fairly modest step up, with a projected altitude of about 5,000 feet.

Frankly, I doubt he ever had a snowball's chance of making it to a high enough altitude to take the photos he supposedly wanted, given the limited Isp of his propellant, but that doesn't fall into the Darwin Award category.
He should've taken a hot air balloon ride to take pictures. The world altitude record is 21km. But he wouldn't have needed to even go that high up.
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 03:01 PM   #228
jadebox
Graduate Poster

The Go-Pro's fisheye lens makes the horizon look curved in photos taken at ground level - sometimes curved the wrong way. So, I don't think it would be a good choice of camera. :-)
Old 24th February 2020, 04:10 PM   #229
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
sorry
I didnít mean to come of harsh, so donít worry about it.

As for mad mike, after seeing the documentary Rocketman I sort of hoped heíd survive long enough to actually do something astonishing with his steam rockets. Perhaps even learn something himself too.

But the whole thing was so poorly thought out and (especially) badly constructed and executed, it was always doomed to failure I think.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:28 PM   #230
jadebox
Graduate Poster

And then there is this ...

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/Ca...el_Jay_Hughes/

Apparently, Hughes was out on bail and facing up to twenty years if convicted of extortion.

I also found a record of him suing Mark Zuckerberg. The last record on that case shows the judge telling Hughes to withdraw the case and refile it in Palo Alto where the defendant lives.

I feel like TMZ. I must take a shower now.
Old 24th February 2020, 05:07 PM   #231
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

From what I have read, the guy has been playing Russian Roulette with his stunts for some time, and the loaded chamber finally went off.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 05:46 PM   #232
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
I just had a thought, don't Flatties have a beef with gravity too?

Well at least 'The Rocketman' demonstrated at least one of their beliefs wrong.
You would think so but... guess again.

As per flatards... it's density not (non-existant) gravity. If you're denser than the atmosphere (contained by Gawd's dome) then you fall. Less dense (eg: helium baloon) you rise.
Checkmate globies, Newton was a loser, FE FTW etc. blah, blah, blah.

This won't change any of their minds (those that aren't actually trolls that is).

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 24th February 2020 at 05:49 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 05:52 PM   #233
curious cat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
You would think so but... guess again.

As per flatards... it's density not (non-existant) gravity. If you're denser than the atmosphere (contained by Gawd's dome) then you fall. Less dense (eg: helium baloon) you rise.
Checkmate globies, Newton was a loser, FE FTW etc. blah, blah, blah.

This won't change any of their minds (those that aren't actually trolls that is).
I was always wondering how this revolutionary principle differs from the explanation Archimedes provided.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 06:05 PM   #234
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Maybe I am mixing up the nutters, but I recall some thinking that we are attracted to the Earth because of electromagnetic effects. And others saying that the flat Earth is being constantly accelerated upward giving the appearance of gravity.

Last edited by jadebox; 24th February 2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 24th February 2020, 06:08 PM   #235
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

And then there is this ...

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/Ca...el_Jay_Hughes/

Apparently, Hughes was out on bail and facing up to twenty years if convicted of extortion.

I also found a record of him suing Mark Zuckerberg. The last record on that case shows the judge telling Hughes to withdraw the case and refile it in Palo Alto where the defendant lives.

I feel like TMZ. I must take a shower now.
OK, here's a theory:

He actually intended to kill himself and what happened wasn't an accident but was only supposed to appear to be an accident.

Did he have life insurance? If not, can his family still expect to monetize this somehow? Maybe from the companies that sponsored him, the science channel or the general public.
Old 24th February 2020, 06:12 PM   #236
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Maybe I am mixing up the nutters, but I recall some thinking that we are attracted to the Earth because of electromagnetic effects. And others saying that the flat Earth is being constantly accelerated upward giving the appearance of gravity.
That's the thing. There isn't just one flat earth theory, there are many. And all of them are supported by exactly the same amount of evidence.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 06:16 PM   #237
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
OK, here's a theory:

He actually intended to kill himself and what happened wasn't an accident but was only supposed to appear to be an accident.

Did he have life insurance? If not, can his family still expect to monetize this somehow? Maybe from the companies that sponsored him, the science channel or the general public.
I am certain he would not have been able to get life insurance after wrapping himself in bubble wrap then driving a limousine off a ramp into a pile of tires.
Old 24th February 2020, 07:29 PM   #238
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I am certain he would not have been able to get life insurance after wrapping himself in bubble wrap then driving a limousine off a ramp into a pile of tires.
You're probably right, but still I wonder about the alternative quasi-life insurance policy idea that someone like the Science Channel would compensate his family. Or sympathetic people like the flat earth community. At least even if he didn't intend to kill himself, he must have understood that it was a likely outcome anyway and been OK with that.
Old 24th February 2020, 08:30 PM   #239
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I am getting the feeling that "mad" here might refer to more than just his recklessly adventurous spirit.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 12:26 AM   #240
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

There is a poster here who will sometimes comment that for most people, most of the time, it really makes no difference if the earth is flat or not.
Assuming you mean my comment a long time ago, in a thread far away, my point was that some things are not important enough to personally check. But I think by the time you build a rocket, yeah, that point of "doesn't matter enough to check" has kinda been passed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal