ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 19th May 2017, 04:49 PM   #2161
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
A press release?

I'll believe it when it shows up on twitter.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:05 PM   #2162
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
They're getting desperate.

Quote:
The Trump administration is exploring whether it can use an obscure ethics rule to undermine the special counsel investigation into ties between President Donald Trump's campaign team and Russia, two people familiar with White House thinking said on Friday.

Trump's people trying to stymie the investigation based on an ethics concern reaches an almost nuclear level of irony.

You can't make this kind of stuff up, folks. The late-night writers can retire. Real life is rolling over them. All the talk show hosts need to do is read the news out loud. The jokes have written themselves.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:06 PM   #2163
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
...But as others have pointed out, he always seems to come out ahead...
Not always, Bob, not even close.

newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #2164
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
What Trump said in the oval office to the Ruskies about Comey cements his status as the diarrhea mouth of all time, just in case there was any doubt. The degree of brazen stupidity is hard to fathom, even after a year of watching this spectacular, bumbling dimwit in action.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #2165
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
A press release?

I'll believe it when it shows up on twitter.
See, you're coming around.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:21 PM   #2166
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Trump's people trying to stymie the investigation based on an ethics concern reaches an almost nuclear level of irony.

You can't make this kind of stuff up, folks. The late-night writers can retire. Real life is rolling over them. All the talk show hosts need to do is read the news out loud. The jokes have written themselves.
Hell, I can think of countless skits. For example, I just imagined a skit based on a musical number from A Sound of Music where instead of Nuns singing 'How do you solve a problem like Maria' You have generals, aides, Ivanka etc singing a parody 'How do you solve a problem like the Donald' Haven't written the song but I could see SNL doing it.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:28 PM   #2167
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh yes!

You are quite correct, my mistake.

For some reason I was thinking that Harrison died shortly after the start of his second term, but instead he died shortly after starting his first term.

Sorry about that.
You blew it! You didn't take any lessons from Trump. Here's your Trumpian post:
Quote:
LOSER! Of course I meant living President. It's right there in my post! It's your own damn fault you can't read! I'd school you some more but the guys on the first tee are getting antsy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:30 PM   #2168
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
You might enjoy Charles Krauthammer's take on Republican silence tonight.
He's changed his tune a bit.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:33 PM   #2169
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Hell, I can think of countless skits. For example, I just imagined a skit based on a musical number from A Sound of Music where instead of Nuns singing 'How do you solve a problem like Maria' You have generals, aides, Ivanka etc singing a parody 'How do you solve a problem like the Donald' Haven't written the song but I could see SNL doing it.

Sure, but they still won't match the wonderful, nearly magical gift of reality.

If someone were to have composed a novel with a plot the same as this episode in our political history it would have been roundly rejected by publishers as being altogether too far-fetched.

They wouldn't even have been able to pass it off as fantasy.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:37 PM   #2170
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
He's a psychiatrist, right?
I wonder if he agrees with the narcissistic personality diagnosis.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:33 PM   #2171
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Sure, but they still won't match the wonderful, nearly magical gift of reality.

If someone were to have composed a novel with a plot the same as this episode in our political history it would have been roundly rejected by publishers as being altogether too far-fetched.

They wouldn't even have been able to pass it off as fantasy.
I'm talking jokes and comedy skits in that they write themselves with Trump. I've compared it to Nixon but that isn't fair.

.................................................. .................................................. .....

to Nixon
Old 19th May 2017, 07:47 PM   #2172
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
How could it be a felony for Wittes to tell a reporter what his friend (Comey) told him over lunch? Nothing that Comey said was covered by confidentiality laws or security classifications.

What law do you think might be broken here or in the case of leaks regarding Comey's memos?
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
How so? Be as explicit as you can.
logger has been a bit silent about these two questions. Shame.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 09:34 PM   #2173
I Am The Scum
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I like this article, but what's this at the end about invoking the 25th amendment? Is that a serious suggestion in Republican circles? This is the first I've heard it.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 09:51 PM   #2174
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I like this article, but what's this at the end about invoking the 25th amendment? Is that a serious suggestion in Republican circles? This is the first I've heard it.
I don't know who might be considering it, but if someone is then they're probably slightly stupid. Under the 25th amendment, the Cabinet ("the principal officers of the executive departments") can take away a President's powers, which make the Vice President (or whomever is next in the line of succession) the "Acting President." Congress can then, by a 2/3rds vote, maintain that situation after the President makes a written declaration that s/he is able to discharge the duties of the office. But, in that situation, the office of President would not be vacated. Removing the President from office, thus allowing the next in line of succession to assume the office in full, would still require House impeachment and Senate trial.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 19th May 2017 at 09:58 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 09:58 PM   #2175
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I don't know who might be considering it, but if someone is then they're probably slightly stupid. Under the 25th amendment, the Cabinet ("the principal officers of the executive departments") can take away a President's powers, which make the Vice President (or whomever is next in the line of succession) the "Acting President." Congress can then, by a 2/3rds vote, maintain that situation after the President makes a written declaration that s/he is able to discharge the duties of the office. But, in that situation, the office of President would not be vacated. Removing the President from office, thus allowing the next in line of succession to assume the office in fall, would still require House impeachment and Senate trial.
There's no real possibility that the Republican House and Senate would impeach and convict Trump, and there's probably no real possibility that Trump's hand-picked VP and cabinet would conspire to apply the 25th. What we can hope for is that the investigations turn up something so damaging that elders will go to Trump and say "This is bad, but we won't pursue it if you just resign and get outta town."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:16 PM   #2176
Babbylonian
Philosopher

There's no real possibility that the Republican House and Senate would impeach and convict Trump, and there's probably no real possibility that Trump's hand-picked VP and cabinet would conspire to apply the 25th.
While I agree that the latter is highly improbable, I'm beginning to think the former is on the verge of being inevitable. It'll depend largely on what the Mueller/FBI investigation turns up, but there's too much smoke to declare out of hand there aren't fires burning. If public opinion keeps going further against the current occupant of the Oval Office, the Republicans will have to act or even their most ardent supporters will abandon them the next time they're up for election. I think there could be incumbents who lose to primary challengers because the challengers pledge to fight for impeachment.
Old 20th May 2017, 12:50 AM   #2177
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
His inability to make simple future predictions of his actions, his rank amateurism of his political calculus....unbelievable.
And he still has a 40ish% approval rating. Substitute anyone 2 micrometers left of center, and we're talking single digits.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:01 AM   #2178
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There's no real possibility that the Republican House and Senate would impeach and convict Trump, and there's probably no real possibility that Trump's hand-picked VP and cabinet would conspire to apply the 25th. What we can hope for is that the investigations turn up something so damaging that elders will go to Trump and say "This is bad, but we won't pursue it if you just resign and get outta town."
I think it's a long shot. But I absolutely believe it's a possibility. Invoking the 25th seems more unlikely.

I don't think Trump has strong allies in Congress. These people will do what is best for themselves and the GOP. They don't care about Trump. They care about survival. If Trump keeps making an ass out of himself and he starts to lose support among Republicans, they will go to Trump and attempt to get him to resign just like they did with Nixon. But if Trump says no they will do it.
Old 20th May 2017, 06:17 AM   #2179
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Seems like Rosenstein didn't get the updated PR memo:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/politi...n-james-comey/
It's like trying to make sense of a start trek time travel episode.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 07:26 AM   #2180
Argumemnon
World Maker

He's the most incompetent liar I've ever seen.
Oh, I've seen worse, but only once (a co-worker). Trump takes the cake because of the frequency and size of his lies, though.
Old 20th May 2017, 07:29 AM   #2181
Argumemnon
World Maker

That's going to be subpoenaed. Unless I misunderstand the law. This seems like a slam dunk for obstruction. It's not even close. (Not that he will be impeached) Am I wrong? How?
You still need the Republican congress to impeach him. Good luck.

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Doesn't mean he isn't an idiot. He's the Forrest Gump of presidents...if you subtract the well-meaning naivete and replace it with an all-consuming narcissism driven by the hunger of a thousand collapsed stars.
That's the best thing I've read all week. I'd nominate it if we had a thread for best burn.
Old 20th May 2017, 10:12 AM   #2182
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And yet here you are.
And we've got all you Oh I Didn't Vote For Him Apologista Enablers to keep us company.

Or have you not noticed your multiple posts attempting to shame people into ignoring the big turdblossom's misdeeds so he can get along with *********** over the country.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 12:49 PM   #2183
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Posts referring to DNA have been consigned to the fiery flames. If any participant wants to discuss race, genetics or Ancestry/23&Me results they are more than welcome to do so in a thread where such a discussion would be on topic. For the avoidance of doubt, that is not this thread.
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:17 PM   #2184
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's going to be subpoenaed. Unless I misunderstand the law. This seems like a slam dunk for obstruction. It's not even close. (Not that he will be impeached) Am I wrong? How?
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You still need the Republican congress to impeach him. Good luck.
I'm curious. Did you not read the sentence in parentheses?
Old 20th May 2017, 09:00 PM   #2185
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump adviser corroborates Comey's memo: It matches Trump's language and arguments, in private, about Flynn.

Quote:
Trump has grown obsessed with defending the tough-talking 58-year old general, repeatedly telling aides and associates in private that Flynn was a “good man.” One adviser close to Trump said he’s heard Trump defend the general using the exact words described in reports of memos written by former FBI director James Comey recording his conversations with the president — and that Trump has told people inside the White House he wished the investigation would go away.

It has left White House officials and outside advisers perplexed: Why is Trump so determined to defend a man at the center of a federal investigation that is damaging his administration, and a man he has accused of lying to his vice president?

Officials say Trump has remained resolute in defending Flynn even though aides, including White House Counsel Don McGahn, have reminded Trump of the Russia investigation and other problems. News reports about Flynn, including his lobbying for foreign governments, haven’t bothered Trump nearly as much as they’ve bothered his aides, senior officials said. News of subpoenas haven’t caused him to lose faith, even privately, associates said.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 01:59 AM   #2186
Argumemnon
World Maker

I'm curious. Did you not read the sentence in parentheses?
Parentheses are for pussies?
Old 21st May 2017, 05:55 AM   #2187
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If there's good thing that came out of this, it's a new political term I actually like:

Comey memo.

Comeymemo, Comeymemo, Comeymemo.

It just rolls off the lips so pleasantly.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 07:22 AM   #2188
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

All executive power in this country flows through the president. If he thinks an investigation is a bad use of resources and a ridiculous waste of time, he is elected to exercise the take care clause and stop it.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 09:36 AM   #2189
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
All executive power in this country flows through the president. If he thinks an investigation is a bad use of resources and a ridiculous waste of time, he is elected to exercise the take care clause and stop it.
Provide a citation. There is a system of checks and balances. The President doesn't have unlimited powers nor should he. Someone seems to have forgotten Watergate.
Old 21st May 2017, 09:38 AM   #2190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Parentheses are for pussies?
What can I say? I like pussies. I just don't grab them without permission.
Old 21st May 2017, 09:44 AM   #2191
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Provide a citation. There is a system of checks and balances. The President doesn't have unlimited powers nor should he. Someone seems to have forgotten Watergate.
Nothing to cite. Original thought.

Watergate? Impeachment is a political act. Whether a president committed obstruction is irrelevant to Congress impeaching a president over obstruction.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 10:09 AM   #2192
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing to cite. Original thought.

Watergate? Impeachment is a political act. Whether a president committed obstruction is irrelevant to Congress impeaching a president over obstruction.
Yes Impeachment is a political action. Nevertheless the evidence that I've heard leads me to strongly believe that Trump committed the crime of obstruction

But you are right, I don't expect Congress will impeach Trump unless he loses more support among voters. And then, they would drop him like a hot potato. They will look out for themselves not Nixon. I mean Trump.

Whether that day ever comes remains unknown. Trump has managed to act like an idiot for pretty much his whole life and still survived so anyone thinking they know the outcome if full of it. Don't forget Trump has bragged that he could shoot someone in broad daylight and his people would continue to support him. But Congress isn't his people.

Trump is like a cockroach . He's a filthy creature that is likely to survive a nuclear winter. But the again, so are the Congressional Republicans.
Old 21st May 2017, 10:16 AM   #2193
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Yes Impeachment is a political action. Nevertheless the evidence that I've heard leads me to strongly believe that Trump committed the crime of obstruction
The president as the executive has a responsibility to ensure the DoJ and FBI are not engaging in witch hunts against American citizens.

Sometimes, those witch hunts will be directed at the executive.

How do you tell the difference between a president thinking it is a witch Hunt and thinking they are trying to protect their own guilty behavior?
Old 21st May 2017, 10:22 AM   #2194
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

The president as the executive has a responsibility to ensure the DoJ and FBI are not engaging in witch hunts against American citizens.

Sometimes, those witch hunts will be directed at the executive.

How do you tell the difference between a president thinking it is a witch Hunt and thinking they are trying to protect their own guilty behavior?
That's what recusal is all about.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 10:26 AM   #2195
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's what recusal is all about.
And after doing that the president decides the independent parties are not acting responsibly?
Old 21st May 2017, 10:35 AM   #2196
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Trump is like a cockroach . He's a filthy creature that is likely to survive a nuclear winter. But the again, so are the Congressional Republicans.
The "Resistance" is much larger and more intense than the Tea Party was in 2010. The Republican gerrymandering creates lots of districts with small Republican majorities. Whether the HMS Trumptanic hits an iceberg or just continues sinking slowly from leaks, lots of districts will definitely come into play if this Congress insists on pushing unpopular legislation. The campaign ads write themselves, and Democrats are going to have plenty of money to run them.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 10:37 AM   #2197
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And after doing that the president decides the independent parties are not acting responsibly?
If there is evidence that appears to be incriminating, then he will be overstepping his authority and wandering into obstruction territory.
Old 21st May 2017, 10:45 AM   #2198
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I'd like to point out that no black people have been implicated in any of this so far. It's all whitebread.
Where's Ben when you really need. "Calling Dr.Carson. STAT! There's a leak in the White House and it's from the head!"
Old 21st May 2017, 10:52 AM   #2199
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
The "Resistance" is much larger and more intense than the Tea Party was in 2010. The Republican gerrymandering creates lots of districts with small Republican majorities. Whether the HMS Trumptanic hits an iceberg or just continues sinking slowly from leaks, lots of districts will definitely come into play if this Congress insists on pushing unpopular legislation. The campaign ads write themselves, and Democrats are going to have plenty of money to run them.
I can't help comparing this to previous impeachment proceedings. Clinton's support among the electorate actually grew as a result of the Impeachment. He was NEVER really endanger of being convicted by the Senate. Nixon OTOH saw a steady erosion of support and then Trump Nixon received a late night visit from Republican members of Congress telling him to resign or be impeached and removed. Those Republicans didn’t put the screws to Nixon because they hated Nixon, they did it because they were looking at a Midterm wipe out unless they did something. They still suffered significant losses.
Old 21st May 2017, 11:13 AM   #2200
SezMe
post-pre-born

Yeah. He was answering the questions that were asked of him.
Any lawyer with a non-zero pulse will tell his/her client to answer questions but not to volunteer information, not to embellish and not to express opinions unless specifically asked for an opinion. Comey, being an experienced legal shark, gave that advice to himself and then obeyed himself.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics