ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Weiner , Breitbart.com , Huma Abedin , sex scandals , Twitter incidents

Old 11th April 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Weiner's Back

In a NY Times Magazine article that tries to focus on his post-scandal life:

Quote:
One day in early February, I met Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin for breakfast at the Gramercy Park Hotel, one of their regular joints, just a few blocks from their apartment on Park Avenue South. The first thing Weiner said when I sat down was that their 13-month-old son, Jordan, had just moments ago taken his first step. They were both giddy, kvelling with baby-pride, especially Weiner, who, with all his free time, has become his son’s primary caretaker.
No particular surprise, he's sticking with the limited hangout, much like the original twitter photo that got him in trouble:

Quote:
At a hastily arranged news conference in New York on Monday, Weiner tearfully admitted that he “engaged in several inappropriate conversations conducted over Twitter, Facebook, e-mail and occasionally on the phone” and exchanged “messages and photos of an explicit nature with about six women over the last three years,” essentially the entire length of his relationship with Abedin, but that he had never met any of the women in person.
Another "I did not have sexual relations with that woman," bit of BS? C'mon, he wasn't sharing pictures of the little wiener without some hope that it would be getting inside some of the gals he showed it to. And his tortured explanation?

Quote:
By definition, when you are a politician, you want people to like you, you want people to respond to what you’re doing, you want to learn what they want to hear so you can say it to them. Twitter and Facebook allowed for me — not only could I go to a town-hall meeting or a senior center or in front of the TV camera, but now I could sit and hear what people were saying all around. Search your name on Google, begat read comments on your Facebook page, begat looking at what people are saying about you on Twitter, to then trying to engage them. ‘Oh, you should like me!’ ‘No, that’s wrong!’ or ‘Thank you very much!’ And it just started to blur into this desire to engage in it all the time.
I don't blame Weiner for trying to make a comeback; that idiot Republican from South Carolina's doing the same thing. I do think that they're both trying it too quickly.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 01:03 AM   #2
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

From the long list of storied Breitbart moments, the Weiner takedown is my favorite. The liberal rag NYT whitewashes this of course, making it seem like finally admitting the truth was a result of Weiner feeling guilty, rather than being nailed to the floor by Breitbart.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 03:21 AM   #3
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Still confused what the big deal was. Clearly 90+% of politicians should be fired for similar or more likely worse infidelity I guess.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 04:35 AM   #4
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Still confused what the big deal was. Clearly 90+% of politicians should be fired for similar or more likely worse infidelity I guess.

Worse has been done for sure, see Brainster's reference to Sanford above.

The saying about the cover-up being worse than the crime comes to mind.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 04:38 AM   #5
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

I think the Democrats should treat him the same way that Republicans are treating Mark Sanford and David Vitter.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 11:09 AM   #6
daredelvis
Master Poster

If they get Vitter back, we should get Weiner AND Spitzer! As far as I know, neither one of them wore a diaper for sexual gratification (or was a full-on blowhard about family values).

Daredelvis
Old 11th April 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I love this country. You can lie, cheat, steal, embezzle, and murder and still get elected to the House or Senate, but if you have a sexy conversation there are grave doubts about your fitness.
Old 11th April 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I don't blame Weiner for trying to make a comeback; that idiot Republican from South Carolina's doing the same thing. I do think that they're both trying it too quickly.

I suspect they're both basing their timing on their perception of the memory and attention span of the American public. And by those standards, I think they're both in the clear. After all, it's probably been months since anyone posted a single snarky tweet about either of them!
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by daredelvis View Post
If they get Vitter back, we should get Weiner AND Spitzer! As far as I know, neither one of them wore a diaper for sexual gratification (or was a full-on blowhard about family values).

Daredelvis
Perhaps you forgot that Spitzer prosecuted a couple of prostitution rings?

Quote:
Though his signature issue was pursuing Wall Street misdeeds, as attorney general Mr. Spitzer also had prosecuted at least two prostitution rings as head of the state’s organized crime task force.

In one such case in 2004, Mr. Spitzer spoke with revulsion and anger after announcing the arrest of 16 people for operating a high-end prostitution ring out of Staten Island.

“This was a sophisticated and lucrative operation with a multitiered management structure,” Mr. Spitzer said at the time. “It was, however, nothing more than a prostitution ring.”
As I said in the OP, I don't particularly care if these guys make a political comeback; if the people are stupid enough to vote for them, they deserve each other. Meanwhile, Weiner picks up a rather silly endorsement:

Quote:
“Anthony’s a good guy in my opinion. Now, he should’ve came clean once he got busted, you know, and I’m sorry he didn’t do that – but he’s sorry he didn’t do that and his [wife Huma Abedin’s] sorry he didn’t do that,” Ellison said on Current TV to host Bill Press.

“Look man, nobody here is perfect. Anthony was a great congressman in my opinion, and he’s dealt with his issues and everybody has issues. So I’d love to see Anthony Weiner be mayor of New York. I hereby endorse him.”
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What was it that Weiner did that was so deplorable, again?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
lobosrul
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Weiner sent pictures of his err weiner, unsolicited to at least one woman. Isn't that sexual harassment?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...pattern09.html
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 12:35 PM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Weiner sent pictures of his err weiner, unsolicited to at least one woman. Isn't that sexual harassment?

So what did he do that was so deplorable, again?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Cleon
King of the Pod People

He allowed Breitbart to actually be right about something.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:47 PM   #14
lobosrul
Master Poster

<shrug> Bad enough that I think he deserved to lose his job, yeah. Worse than the guy who lost his job for being overheard saying "big dongles huh huh" at Pycon, yeah. Bad enough to be ineligible to run for public office ever again, no. I for one don't think our elected officials should be sending pictures of their junk to random women on the internet. I wouldn't vote for him or Mark Sanford either for that matter, but if someone else does I guess that's their right.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 12:53 PM   #15
ravdin
Illuminator

He flirted on Twitter and lied about it to reporters. I'm with you on this one, his own party shouldn't have thrown him under the bus.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 12:56 PM   #16
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how extreme Fox News would get if Weiner got back into the political arena and received a standing ovation when walking in.
Old 11th April 2013, 01:23 PM   #17
G6000
Muse

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
I think the Democrats should treat him the same way that Republicans are treating Mark Sanford and David Vitter.
Precisely what I was thinking.

I am sure Weiner has been inspired by Mark Sanford's comeback. If that unbelievable jackass can make a comeback, anyone can.
G6000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 01:32 PM   #18
G6000
Muse

When people ask this question, I ask, "Is this the best guy you could find?" This is the kind of juvenile fool who typically never rises above dairy aisle manager at the Piggle Wiggly.

A guy who has poor impulse control making decisions which affect every American. That's the best guy you could find in your whole district? What does that say about your district?

"Yeah, we have this ass clown who can't behave like a grownup. We couldn't find anyone else."

Yeahhhh...

Last edited by G6000; 11th April 2013 at 01:44 PM.
G6000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 01:43 PM   #19
The Fallen Serpent
Master Poster

It is not like he accidentally shot her in the face.
Old 11th April 2013, 03:07 PM   #20
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Fallen Serpent View Post
Or drove her off a bridge.
Old 11th April 2013, 03:09 PM   #21
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Fallen Serpent View Post
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Or drove her off a bridge.
Or ejaculated on an intern and lied to Congress.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 03:36 PM   #22
stevea
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
Or ejaculated on an intern and lied to Congress a Federal court while under oath.
FTFY.

I don't care a bit it this guy wants to run for office again.

Weiner's actions demonstrated that he has no problem violating his wife's trust. What sort of moron would think that he wouldn't violate his constituents trust too ?

Amazing that some of the critical thinkers here still rely on the Breitbart ad hom fallacy. Why should it matter if Adolph Hitler broke the story ? Has no impact on Weiner's qualification.

Last edited by stevea; 11th April 2013 at 03:43 PM.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 03:39 PM   #23
The Fallen Serpent
Master Poster

Well, I was more specific than that I suppose.
Old 11th April 2013, 03:48 PM   #24
G6000
Muse

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
One of the many discouraging things I have come to realize in the post 9/11 era is that a large number of each party's demographics have memories like that of a goldfish.
Old 11th April 2013, 03:51 PM   #25
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
FTFY.
Weiner's actions demonstrated that he has no problem violating his wife's trust. What sort of moron would think that he wouldn't violate his constituents trust too ?
What does one have to do with the other? I'm sure many, if not most, of the people elected drive over the speed limit. What makes you think those same people won't violate the law in other aspects?
Old 11th April 2013, 04:04 PM   #26
Aoidoi
Illuminator

He gets knocked down, he gets up again. You ain't ever gonna keep him down.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 08:27 PM   #27
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

He may be roasted by the media again.
Old 11th April 2013, 08:31 PM   #28
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

He got caught with his pants down and he tried to lie about what happened.

It's more pathetic and embarrassing than deplorable.
Old 12th April 2013, 04:43 AM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Oddly enough, I don't consider that to be as serious as murder, or even as serious as drunkenly shooting someone in the face.
Old 12th April 2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Aoidoi
Illuminator

Oddly enough, I don't consider that to be as serious as murder, or even as serious as drunkenly shooting someone in the face.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Cheney was sober when he shot that guy in the face.

I totally want Weiner back in politics. For too long the halls of power have been Weinerless. It's time for Weiner to stand up straight and say "I won't be beaten again!"

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 10:25 AM   #31
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post
It's time for Weiner to stand up straight and say "I won't be beaten again!"
I thought Weiner stood up straight because he was beaten.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 10:34 AM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

He flirted on Twitter and lied about it to reporters. I'm with you on this one, his own party shouldn't have thrown him under the bus.
Don't forget that he also accused other people of committing crimes in order to cover up his own lies. Or that the lies were not merely to reporters, but to his own wife as well. As mentioned above, if a man will violate the trust his wife places in him like this, whose trust won't he violate?

As for the Democrats throwing him under the bus, he very much deserved that. He got them to go out on a limb for him, and then he cut that limb off. He betrayed them. That deserves to have consequences. If he had been honest from the start (or even if he merely refused to answer questions), then things might be different. But when you get people to back you up and then your lies are exposed, then those people are made to look like fools for lending support to that lie.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 10:49 AM   #33
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Don't forget that he also accused other people of committing crimes in order to cover up his own lies. Or that the lies were not merely to reporters, but to his own wife as well. As mentioned above, if a man will violate the trust his wife places in him like this, whose trust won't he violate?
Do you have any proof that cheating on your spouse is an indicator of how one acts in their professional career?

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
As for the Democrats throwing him under the bus, he very much deserved that. He got them to go out on a limb for him, and then he cut that limb off. He betrayed them. That deserves to have consequences. If he had been honest from the start (or even if he merely refused to answer questions), then things might be different. But when you get people to back you up and then your lies are exposed, then those people are made to look like fools for lending support to that lie.
The lesson few politicians learn the first time. Either fess up or shut up.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 11:24 AM   #34
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Do you have any proof that cheating on your spouse is an indicator of how one acts in their professional career?
It absolutely proves that the politician is unfit for office (unless he's a Republican, then it's ok.)
Old 12th April 2013, 11:37 AM   #35
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
Weiner sent pictures of his err weiner,
Quote:
unsolicited to at least one woman
. Isn't that sexual harassment?

If that is what he really did you do not think it is deplorable?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 11:45 AM   #36
Spindrift

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post

If that is what he really did you do not think it is deplorable?
Link does not work, so I have to go with not deplorable.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 11:55 AM   #37
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

He sent an unsolicited penile profile to a constituent. Stupid, yes. The only things violated were his wife's and the constituent's trust. Compared to what Sanford and Vitter has done, it's not deplorable.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:03 PM   #38
Arcade22
Illuminator

I love this country. You can lie, cheat, steal, embezzle, and murder and still get elected to the House or Senate, but if you have a sexy conversation there are grave doubts about your fitness.
Don't forget that you get to commit warcrimes (such as slaughtering entire full villages of civilians in Vietnam) and get elected as Governor and Senator.

America really is the land of opportunities.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Don't forget that you get to commit warcrimes (such as slaughtering entire full villages of civilians in Vietnam) and get elected as Governor and Senator.

America really is the land of opportunities.
And who did that?
Old 12th April 2013, 12:46 PM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
And who did that?
Ms Sally "Scourge of Indochina" Field. There's blood on your hands, Gidget!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics