ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Weiner , Breitbart.com , Huma Abedin , sex scandals , Twitter incidents

Old 12th April 2013, 01:20 PM   #41
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He sent an unsolicited penile profile to a constituent. Stupid, yes. The only things violated were his wife's and the constituent's trust. Compared to what Sanford and Vitter has done, it's not deplorable.
I didn't ask if anyone else has done deplorable things. That has nothing to do with whether or not his action was.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 01:23 PM   #42
ravdin
Illuminator

He sent an unsolicited penile profile to a constituent. Stupid, yes. The only things violated were his wife's and the constituent's trust. Compared to what Sanford and Vitter has done, it's not deplorable.
Wiener didn't do anything deplorable in comparison to Maxine Waters or Charlie Rangel, either. He might be a bad husband but AFAIK he's not corrupt.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 01:48 PM   #43
grunion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
What sort of moron would think that he wouldn't violate his constituents trust too ?
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
As mentioned above, if a man will violate the trust his wife places in him like this, whose trust won't he violate?
Do you think the electorate finds whatever trust they place in politicians inviolable? I don't. There is no trust. It is just picking the horse they prefer, the one they will find most entertaining to watch until the next cycle rolls around.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 01:56 PM   #44
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Do you think the electorate finds whatever trust they place in politicians inviolable? I don't. There is no trust. It is just picking the horse they prefer, the one they will find most entertaining to watch until the next cycle rolls around.
I think people expect not to be backstabbed. Like the joke about an honest judge in Louisiana being one who stays bought: voters may tolerate some corruption, as long as that politician doesn't betray the interests of their own supporters. And that characterizes a lot of politicians, even "dirty" ones: they're dependable on the top issues of their core constituency. But when voters can't even be sure of that, then why should they vote for a politician?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 05:54 PM   #45
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

So what was his core constituency's view of clothed erection pictures? Was it one of their top issues?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 06:28 PM   #46
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
From the long list of storied Breitbart moments, the Weiner takedown is my favorite. The liberal rag NYT whitewashes this of course, making it seem like finally admitting the truth was a result of Weiner feeling guilty, rather than being nailed to the floor by Breitbart.
Breitbart the known film forger and liar?

Why would you EVER trust anything a confirmed, known forger and liar would say?

Even if it's true, if he talks about it, it puts something into doubt.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2013, 09:22 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
So what was his core constituency's view of clothed erection pictures? Was it one of their top issues?
His constituents should take a long hard look at him and decide whether he's up to the job.
Old 13th April 2013, 04:51 AM   #48
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
Or ejaculated on an intern and lied to Congress.
He should have done things the other way around (although I don't condone lying to interns).
Old 13th April 2013, 08:33 AM   #49
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
FTFY.

I don't care a bit it this guy wants to run for office again.

Weiner's actions demonstrated that he has no problem violating his wife's trust. What sort of moron would think that he wouldn't violate his constituents trust too ?

Amazing that some of the critical thinkers here still rely on the Breitbart ad hom fallacy. Why should it matter if Adolph Hitler broke the story ? Has no impact on Weiner's qualification.
Well Hitler was at least a faithful man, unlike those foul horrible leaders Roosevelt and Churchill. Those two totally unqualified for anyone's trust.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2013, 08:43 AM   #50
angrysoba
Philosophile

RE: Weiner's Back!

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
In a NY Times Magazine article that tries to focus on his post-scandal life:

No particular surprise, he's sticking with the limited hangout, much like the original twitter photo that got him in trouble:

Another "I did not have sexual relations with that woman," bit of BS? C'mon, he wasn't sharing pictures of the little wiener without some hope that it would be getting inside some of the gals he showed it to. And his tortured explanation?

I don't blame Weiner for trying to make a comeback; that idiot Republican from South Carolina's doing the same thing. I do think that they're both trying it too quickly.
Wot, no pictures?
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2013, 04:08 PM   #51
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

This is a real boner of a thread.
Old 14th April 2013, 07:56 AM   #52
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Presidents who cheated on their wives: Harding. FDR, JFK, Clinton
Presidents who stayed faithful to their wives: Coolidge, Truman, Nixon, Reagan*, Obama

Not seeing a whole lot of correlation between cheating/faithfulness and success as president here..

* Nancy at least, no idea about RR and his first wife.
Old 24th July 2013, 09:35 AM   #53
Neally
Illuminator

He sent an unsolicited penile profile to a constituent. Stupid, yes.
Plus lying to everyone about it.

BTW his comeback has now crashed with the disclosure that he never stopped the sextexting. Oh, and the Democrats war on women continue with all the lauding of Weiner's wife sticking by him with is continued abuse of her, their marriage and trust.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 09:43 AM   #54
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

He just needs to disappear from public life.

"Democrats war on women" - lol, get a new schtick, you can't just take your parties problems and turn around and throw it at others. At least adults can't.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 09:49 AM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Neally View Post
Plus lying to everyone about it.

BTW his comeback has now crashed with the disclosure that he never stopped the sextexting. Oh, and the Democrats war on women continue with all the lauding of Weiner's wife sticking by him with is continued abuse of her, their marriage and trust.
Why do you think she cares if he does a little on line flirting? It isn't a good old fashion affair that people don't care about but still.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 09:51 AM   #56
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
Presidents who cheated on their wives: Harding. FDR, JFK, Clinton
Presidents who stayed faithful to their wives: Coolidge, Truman, Nixon, Reagan*, Obama

Not seeing a whole lot of correlation between cheating/faithfulness and success as president here..

* Nancy at least, no idea about RR and his first wife.
Eisenhower cheated too.
Old 24th July 2013, 09:58 AM   #57
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Looks like Weiner is going to continue to stick it out, despite the latest revelations.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:01 AM   #58
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

"Democrats war on women" - lol, get a new schtick, you can't just take your parties problems and turn around and throw it at others. At least adults can't.
Saying that the GOP has a war on women is just as legitimate as my comment about supporting Weiners abuse of his wife.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why do you think she cares if he does a little on line flirting?
Because she said it was a difficult time that required hours of counseling.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:02 AM   #59
ravdin
Illuminator

At least this time Weiner owned up to his sexting instead of claiming that his Twitter account had been hacked.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:16 AM   #60
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why do you think she cares if he does a little on line flirting? It isn't a good old fashion affair that people don't care about but still.
She's too busy helping the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrate the US Government so they can take it over from within and help Obama impose Shariah Law on America.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:18 AM   #61
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Saying that the GOP has a war on women is just as legitimate as my comment about supporting Weiners abuse of his wife.
Keep thinking that, and the Democrats will never lose the White House.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:40 AM   #62
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Slate has a sexting pseudonym name generator so now you too can have an awesome name like the one Weiner used during his latest shenanigans to use during your own politically-damaging escapades, should you so choose.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:43 AM   #63
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Keep thinking that, and the Democrats will never lose the White House.
History has proven the pendulum always swings no matter how bad one side screws up or how well one side does. Voters grow weary of each party eventually and the tide shifts.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:57 AM   #64
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

History has proven the pendulum always swings no matter how bad one side screws up or how well one side does. Voters grow weary of each party eventually and the tide shifts.
Then the GOP is doomed to wallow in denial until the tide turns and women somehow becomes a minority. Good luck with that.

Last edited by uke2se; 24th July 2013 at 10:59 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 10:59 AM   #65
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Yes, Huma Abedin not dumping her husband for naughty text messages is exactly the same as passing numerous laws regulating and limiting womens' reproductive choices.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:14 AM   #66
Neally
Illuminator

Then the GOP is doomed to wallow in denial until the tide turns and women somehow becomes a minority. Good luck with that.
Looking positive for the GOP in midterms.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...-in-2014/?_r=0

Originally Posted by Cleon
Yes, Huma Abedin not dumping her husband for naughty text messages is exactly the same as passing numerous laws regulating and limiting womens' reproductive choices.
Yes, praise for a liberated woman that continues to put up with a dishonest, unfaithful husband is an ironic, hypocritical example from the left that screams "war on women" when people complain about being forced to pay for birth control pills and are characterized as "limiting women's reproductive choices".
Old 24th July 2013, 11:20 AM   #67
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Yes, praise for
[citation needed]

Quote:
a liberated woman that continues to put up with a dishonest, unfaithful husband
Because the Left is all about making judgements on people's relationships. Not like those liberated conservatives, with their required invasive ultrasounds, support for sodomy laws, and demands that insurance companies not cover womens' healthcare. No war on women here....

Quote:
is an ironic, hypocritical example from the left that screams "war on women" when people complain about being forced to pay for birth control pills and are characterized as "limiting women's reproductive choices".
Well, thanks to Obamacare, now women won't have to pay for birth control pills. You must be very happy with the President.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:31 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because she said it was a difficult time that required hours of counseling.
Even if she didn't care about the flirting being dragged through that media circus isn't fun.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:34 AM   #69
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Looks like Weiner is going to continue to stick it out, despite the latest revelations.
I thought the latest revelations were about him continuing to stick it out.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 11:36 AM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would never vote for Weiner on the grounds that anybody dumb enough to get caught a second time is too dumb to hold public office.

I love the double standard on display in this thread;if this were a conservative Republican a lot of Weiner's supporters here would be leading the lynch mob.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 11:38 AM   #71
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Agreed. Forget what you think about his on line sex.lying about it and then being stupid enough to do it a second time after being caught he enough to convince me he should not hold public office on grounds of Dishonesty and Stupidity.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 11:39 AM   #72
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
[citation needed]
I've heard video commentary. Give it a couple of days and hopefully it will be transcribed and indexed.

Quote:
Because the Left is all about making judgements on people's relationships.
Because the left is about empowering women, then giving them passes when they get stepped on as long as there is a Dem involved in an election.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:50 AM   #73
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Looking positive for the GOP in midterms.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...-in-2014/?_r=0
Do you think that's because of the GOP's war on women?
Old 24th July 2013, 11:53 AM   #74
Cleon
King of the Pod People

then giving them passes when they get stepped on
Wow, you actually seem to think Huma is at fault, here. I guess that's another difference between Left and Right.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:55 AM   #75
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would never vote for Weiner on the grounds that anybody dumb enough to get caught a second time is too dumb to hold public office.
Yes.

Quote:
I love the double standard on display in this thread;if this were a conservative Republican a lot of Weiner's supporters here would be leading the lynch mob.

On what basis do you conclude that?

Because the left is about empowering women, then giving them passes when they get stepped on as long as there is a Dem involved in an election.
That poor strawman is looking the worse for wear.

Old 24th July 2013, 11:58 AM   #76
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Huma is hot. She needs to dump this loser and hook up with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huma-abedin-vogue-e1307401602981-284x300.jpg (22.3 KB, 118 views)

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer

Last edited by The Central Scrutinizer; 24th July 2013 at 12:00 PM.
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 12:11 PM   #77
Neally
Illuminator

Do you think that's because of the GOP's war on women?
I think that's because the pendulum swings regardless of the left trying to frame the bogus "war on women" on the GOP.

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Wow, you actually seem to think Huma is at fault, here. I guess that's another difference between Left and Right.
You aren't paying attention. My criticism isn't of Huma. It's of the left's hypocrisy of claiming that there is a war on women while supporting a women who is clearly putting up with an irresponsible, dishonest husband. She is obviously doing this for political advantage by bringing it into a news conference, which is her choice. The problem I have is the various commentaries that give her props for hanging in there while talking about empowering women and fabricating the war on women narrative.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:14 PM   #78
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

You aren't paying attention. My criticism isn't of Huma. It's of the left's hypocrisy of claiming that there is a war on women while supporting a women who is clearly putting up with an irresponsible, dishonest husband. She is obviously doing this for political advantage by bringing it into a news conference, which is her choice. The problem I have is the various commentaries that give her props for hanging in there while talking about empowering women and fabricating the war on women narrative.
In what way do you feel that not demanding that a woman act a certain way and instead letting her make her own life choices for herself is disempowering to women?

Old 24th July 2013, 12:20 PM   #79
Cleon
King of the Pod People

You aren't paying attention.
Oh, I'm paying attention. The problem is that your argument is nonsensical.

Quote:
My criticism isn't of Huma.
And yet people are "giving her a pass" for something, clearly indicating that in your opinion she should be criticized for something.

Quote:
It's of the left's hypocrisy of claiming that there is a war on women while supporting a women who is clearly putting up with an irresponsible, dishonest husband.
"Supporting" how, exactly? By not condemning her? Is this everyone on the left, or just your so-far-unsubstantiated claims to have seen a video somewhere?

And I'm not seeing the "hypocrisy" between criticizing the GOP's legislative efforts ("war on women") and refusing to condemn a woman whose private life we are not privy to.

Quote:
She is obviously doing this for political advantage by bringing it into a news conference, which is her choice.
What political office does she hold? Or is she aspiring to one? I mean, you claim to know her motivations, so out with it.

Quote:
fabricating the war on women narrative.
"Fabricating?" Yeah, that fails the laugh test.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:54 PM   #80
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I think that's because the pendulum swings regardless of the left trying to frame the bogus "war on women" on the GOP.
Sorry, but the "left" has nothing to do with the GOP's war on women. It's all on the GOP.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics