ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Weiner , Breitbart.com , Huma Abedin , sex scandals , Twitter incidents

Old 24th July 2013, 12:58 PM   #81
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
And yet people are "giving her a pass" for something, clearly indicating that in your opinion she should be criticized for something.
In my opinion the left would be consistent with the talk of empowering women if they would say that she needs to stand up to the lying husband and to tell him to take a hike rather than praising her for standing by her man.

Quote:
And I'm not seeing the "hypocrisy" between criticizing the GOP's legislative efforts ("war on women") and refusing to condemn a woman whose private life we are not privy to.
Of course you don't see it. Hypocrites rarely acknowledge their hypocrisy.

Quote:
What political office does she hold? Or is she aspiring to one? I mean, you claim to know her motivations, so out with it.
Political advantage like Hillary did with Bill. Either to remain in the political sphere by being married to someone who holds office, or political aspirations of her own given her job and political connections.

Quote:
"Fabricating?" Yeah, that fails the laugh test.
Props to the Dems. It's a meme that has gained traction primarily built on the legitimate debate as to when and how abortions should be allowed and funded and forcing health insurance to cover birth control pills.

Originally Posted by uke2se
Sorry, but the "left" has nothing to do with the GOP's war on women.
Except that they fabricated the bogus concept.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:01 PM   #82
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Neally View Post
In my opinion the left would be consistent with the talk of empowering women if they would say that she needs to stand up to the lying husband and to tell him to take a hike rather than praising her for standing by her man.
How is telling a woman what she should do and not letting her decide for herself empowering her?

Quote:
It's quite real, thank you.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:01 PM   #83
Caper
Philosopher

It tool so long for this topic to be started... if this was a Republican candidate.... it would have about 25 pages and 6 topics by now.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:02 PM   #84
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

That's because you don't get this whole "female empowering" thing. We want women to be allowed to make their own decisions.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Political advantage like Hillary did with Bill. Either to remain in the political sphere by being married to someone who holds office, or political aspirations of her own given her job and political connections.
It's all a conspiracy. It can't be that she loves her husband and wants to work through any problems, it just can't.

Props to the Dems. It's a meme that has gained traction primarily built on the legitimate debate as to when and how abortions should be allowed and funded and forcing health insurance to cover birth control pills.
Wrong. It has gained traction built on the many many efforts by Republicans to legislate women's uteri.

Nope.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:03 PM   #85
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
It tool so long for this topic to be started... if this was a Republican candidate.... it would have about 25 pages and 6 topics by now.
Yeah, it's totally unfair that your hypothetical wouldn't happen like this.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:04 PM   #86
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I love this country. You can lie, cheat, steal, embezzle, and murder and still get elected to the House or Senate, but if you have a sexy conversation there are grave doubts about your fitness.
There are a bunch of fallacies in there... just not sure where to start.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:04 PM   #87
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

It has nothing to do with Weiner not being a Republican. It's because we've already had the giant thread about him, the first time he did this. Now no one really cares because he's a just punchline at this point.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:06 PM   #88
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

There are a bunch of fallacies in there... just not sure where to start.
Start anywhere you want. Just point out the fallacies.
Old 24th July 2013, 01:07 PM   #89
Cleon
King of the Pod People

See, the thing about "empowering" is that you let women make those decisions for themselves, not telling them what they "need" to do.

Quote:
Evidence of my supposed hypocrisy?

Quote:
Uh-huh. Evidence?

Quote:

LOL; the concept was entirely the GOP's doing, from requiring invasive ultrasounds to the Texas debacle to all those hilarious ideas they have about how pregnancy can't result from rape.

Don't want to be accused of waging a war on women? Don't go hog-wild saying a bunch of stupid things about women and micromanaging their health care through the government.

Then come back and remind us about how the GOP is about "smaller government."

Last edited by Cleon; 24th July 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:24 PM   #90
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

I don't understand why this guy's name is being pronounced wee-ner when my scant knowledge of German tells me it should be why-ner (though with a leading "v" sound to be accurate, vee-ner and vhy-ner)

Is it being tweaked to take the mickey out of the man?
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:41 PM   #91
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Looks like Weiner is going to continue to stick it out, despite the latest revelations.
That's the whole problem, isn't it?
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:53 PM   #92
lobosrul
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Eisenhower cheated too.
There is very scant evidence of that, if you are referring to Kay Summersby. Not sure of any other allegations.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 01:56 PM   #93
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Republicans think empowering is telling someone what to do, what to say, how to act.

I bet you're one of those who just doesn't understand why Republicans are always having trouble with women's vote.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 02:00 PM   #94
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I thought Weiner might have made a good mayor. But this is just plain ole stupidity. You ask for a second chance and this? Whether or not his wife forgives him is irrelevant, he should just get out and stop wasting the money of his contributors, which I suspect will be fewer and fewer.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 02:28 PM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I thought Weiner might have made a good mayor. But this is just plain ole stupidity. You ask for a second chance and this? Whether or not his wife forgives him is irrelevant, he should just get out and stop wasting the money of his contributors, which I suspect will be fewer and fewer.
In addition to the stupidity factor, there is also factor that his display of incredible ego and arrogance in this election indicates he would make a crappy mayor. Yes, I know there are few politicians who don't have a lot of ego, but is going into the realm of the ridiculous.

Not many jokes being made concerning his name and his exact offense;guessed they all got used up last time.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 02:53 PM   #96
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Saying that the GOP has a war on women is just as legitimate as my comment about supporting Weiners abuse of his wife.

Because she said it was a difficult time that required hours of counseling.
1) Who is supporting her in sticking with her husband?
2) If she does decided to stick with him what business is it if of ours?

You aren't paying attention. My criticism isn't of Huma. It's of the left's hypocrisy of claiming that there is a war on women while supporting a women who is clearly putting up with an irresponsible, dishonest husband. She is obviously doing this for political advantage by bringing it into a news conference, which is her choice. The problem I have is the various commentaries that give her props for hanging in there while talking about empowering women and fabricating the war on women narrative.
The war on women was entirely the GOP's doing. If they hadn't been supporting restrictions on abortion that label would never have been invented.

And do you not see some hypocrisy in you saying people being okay with her sticking with her husband is bad but don't seem to mind accusing her of doing this all for political advantage?

I mean if I were her I'd probably leave him. But I'm not her and she has the right to make her own decisions. Not allowing women to make their own decisions was precisely the thing that created the entire War On Women meme in the first place.

How do you know she didn't do that? Maybe she read him the riot act for a week month straight but ultimately decided to stay with him.

Old 24th July 2013, 04:17 PM   #97
ravdin
Illuminator

I don't want to live in a country where one is considered unfit for public office just because he has a fetish for showing his tumescent penis to everyone.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 05:00 PM   #98
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Weiner should pull out.
Old 24th July 2013, 05:05 PM   #99
Dorian Gray
Hypocrisy Detector

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
As mentioned above, if a man will violate the trust his wife places in him like this, whose trust won't he violate?
If you want to talk about Newt Gingrich, start a new thread.

Last edited by Dorian Gray; 24th July 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Dorian Gray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 05:08 PM   #100
Dorian Gray
Hypocrisy Detector

Yes, praise for a liberated woman that continues to put up with a dishonest, unfaithful husband is an ironic, hypocritical example from the left that screams "war on women" when people complain about being forced to pay for birth control pills and are characterized as "limiting women's reproductive choices".
She got to choose for herself whether to stay with him or not. She wasn't forced to stay with him by some politicians who thought she oughta.
Dorian Gray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 05:10 PM   #101
Dorian Gray
Hypocrisy Detector

But, but, but, isn't divorce a threat to marriage?
Old 24th July 2013, 05:14 PM   #102
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
I don't want to live in a country where one is considered unfit for public office just because he has a fetish for showing his tumescent penis to everyone.
Sorry, but I an old fashioned and actually think that character does matter in a politician. And Weiner by his constant lying has shown he does not have much of that.
And then there is the stupidity factor.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 05:33 PM   #103
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Weiner's Back

Actually, the problem is Weiner's front and the broadcast of same.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 05:47 PM   #104
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Huma is hot. She needs to dump this loser and hook up with me.
I suggest you get on an elevator with her and invite her to your room for coffee.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 06:01 PM   #105
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Because of teh hypocrisy!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 07:07 PM   #106
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sorry, but I an old fashioned and actually think that character does matter in a politician. And Weiner by his constant lying has shown he does not have much of that.
And then there is the stupidity factor.
Sorry, forgot the sarcasm tags. There was also the part where Weiner smeared the people who were telling the truth about him (in particular he made the bizarre accusation that Andrew Breitbart was a hacker).

Maybe, just maybe I could overlook all of this- but part of convincing people you're contrite about your past mistakes is not repeating them.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2013, 07:21 PM   #107
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Tony Todger needs to actually do it with Huma. make a baby and the voters will go all Awh! and he will be again an up and coming political leader.
Old 24th July 2013, 09:42 PM   #108
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

It's quite clear that the fate of Wiener's campaign is in the palm of his hand.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 03:08 AM   #109
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yea because there is nothing more disempowering to womem than letting them decide how to run their own lives.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 03:27 AM   #110
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Can't we all agree that Weiner is way worse than say being a republican senator who visits prostitutes. That is simply expected while flirting with people online is beyond the pale.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 05:40 AM   #111
Spindrift

...a republican senator who visits prostitutes.
They're showing their support for working women.

Last edited by Spindrift; 25th July 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 05:46 AM   #112
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

My dachshunds object to this tarring of their good name.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:23 AM   #113
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Post-post-scandal poll shows Weiner still holding firm.

Quinnipiac University puts him in the lead for the first round of the Dem primary.

America loves a good comeback story. It's time for him to just own this thing. Come out to press conferences and debates not as abrasive, shrill Anthony Weiner, but as rugged, testosterone-jacked Carlos Danger. Damn the torpedoes.

carlos-danger.jpg
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 09:27 AM   #114
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
Old 25th July 2013, 10:13 AM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Can't we all agree that Weiner is way worse than say being a republican senator who visits prostitutes. That is simply expected while flirting with people online is beyond the pale.
You know, this whole "but he is not as bad as the other guy" defense really does not work very well.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:15 AM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post

Quinnipiac University puts him in the lead for the first round of the Dem primary.

America loves a good comeback story. It's time for him to just own this thing. Come out to press conferences and debates not as abrasive, shrill Anthony Weiner, but as rugged, testosterone-jacked Carlos Danger. Damn the torpedoes.

Attachment 28669
You really hope that Weiner wins because it would become a running embarassment for the Democrats, don't you?
Old 25th July 2013, 10:30 AM   #117
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

there is a republican senator running in the primary for New York mayor?

I'll be damned.

/updates little book on flirting: Weiner pictures and promises of condos are not just encouraged, they are "expected." takes notes.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:36 AM   #118
elbe
Illuminator

Can't we all agree that Weiner is way worse than say being a republican senator who visits prostitutes.
Female prostitutes?

sorry, couldn't resist
Old 25th July 2013, 10:53 AM   #119
Spindrift

This poll says he's sinking fast.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...216923521.html
Old 25th July 2013, 11:25 AM   #120
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You know, this whole "but he is not as bad as the other guy" defense really does not work very well.
Yep got to expect double standards.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics