ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Weiner , Breitbart.com , Huma Abedin , sex scandals , Twitter incidents

Old 29th July 2013, 03:21 PM   #161
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
He's just limping along at this point, unless something comes up he's dead meat.
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Yeah, he's gonna get spanked.
There's not much that can be done with his shriveled staff, but Weiner still has skin in the game.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2013, 07:50 PM   #162
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Too rich for words: Weiner spent $45,000 investigating the "hacker" who sent the pix:
Was he born with a lot of money? Did he make a lot of money as a public servant?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2013, 07:59 PM   #163
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Was he born with a lot of money? Did he make a lot of money as a public servant?
Campaign funds.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2013, 08:18 PM   #164
Caper
Philosopher

It seems to me there is a certain portion of voters that will vote for a candidate precisely because he has failings.... But this guys just such a meatball. If there are enough other candidates.... he might be able to win.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2013, 08:50 PM   #165
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

At least he stands up for himself.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2013, 08:55 PM   #166
jj
Penultimate Amazing

He needs to get out of the race and let a real candidate run.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2013, 09:11 PM   #167
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jj View Post
I still think he can win.
Old 29th July 2013, 09:17 PM   #168
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
I still think he can win.
Wow, you've got a low opinion of New York. Not that you're wrong, mind you...
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 12:56 AM   #169
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Drops sharply in the latest Quinnipiac:

Quote:
Weiner gets 16 percent of likely Democratic primary voters today, compared to his first- place position with 26 percent in a July 24 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe- ack) University.

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn leads the Democratic pack with 27 percent, with 21 percent for Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, 20 percent for former Comptroller William Thompson, 6 percent for Comptroller John Liu and 2 percent for former Council member Sal Albanese, the poll finds. Seven percent of likely Democratic primary voters remain undecided.

If Weiner drops out, Quinn gets 30 percent, with 25 percent each for Thompson and de Blasio and 9 percent for Liu.
Exit question: Until the new round of Weiner eruptions, he looked ready to erase the F. Scott Fitzgerald wisdom that there are no second acts in American life. Are there third acts?

And, BTW, is Elliot Spitzer enjoying the hell out of this or what?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 05:05 AM   #170
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
No but Huma pulls in about half a million with her two jobs - one for the government, one for a private contractor....oops, conflict of interest!
Old 30th July 2013, 05:31 AM   #171
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
It seems to me there is a certain portion of voters that will vote for a candidate precisely because he has failings.... But this guys just such a matzameatball. If there are enough other candidates.... he might be able to win.
ftfy
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 08:24 AM   #172
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, it's time for Weiner to pull out now so he doesn't have to abort mid-term.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 08:50 AM   #173
Spindrift

Hey Weiner! Give up already, won't you?

I can't stand a guy who doesn't know the party's over.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 09:19 AM   #174
ravdin
Illuminator

Sure, since he can proudly say he hasn't laundered money or had sex with a prostitute since 2008. And he's done answering those questions, too. Good for you, Elliot! You don't have to take that kind of crap from impertinent journalists.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 09:46 AM   #175
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

The mystery to me is the concept of photographing one's sexual organ as a courtship device. Judging from the Weiner episode, the method achieves some not insignificant rate of success.

Had I known this back in the day, I can't say I would've chosen such a path over my standard repertoire of greeting cards, flowers or invitations for dates. But it does make one think.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:52 AM   #176
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
Sure, since he can proudly say he hasn't laundered money or had sex with a prostitute since 2008. And he's done answering those questions, too. Good for you, Elliot! You don't have to take that kind of crap from impertinent journalists.
He's down to about 16%, the leader has 27%. That's the bad news. The good news is....... that's about as low as it goes for him. in 3 weeks if he's back to 20%... then the story becomes how he is trending up.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:56 AM   #177
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
The mystery to me is the concept of photographing one's sexual organ as a courtship device. Judging from the Weiner episode, the method achieves some not insignificant rate of success.

Had I known this back in the day, I can't say I would've chosen such a path over my standard repertoire of greeting cards, flowers or invitations for dates. But it does make one think.
I believe Mr. Weiners package is impressive and for a certain segment of the population that has its appeal. I haven't seen it, so I can't give you a first hand review.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:57 AM   #178
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

You've gotta love this headline:

Quote:
Poll: 78 Percent of Young Women Approve of Weiner
Well, I'm not surprised that 78% of young women approve of it. Unfortunately the "poll" comes with a rather large asterisk; check out the details:

Quote:
Sugar daddy dating website SeekingArrangement.com found that 78 percent of female clients aged 18-26 approve of Weiner.

The website, which connects wealthy patrons with attractive clients, surveyed over 18,000 of its female members and discovered that 63 percent of all women surveyed approved of the New York City mayoral hopeful, with the highest approval ratings coming from the 18-26 demographic.
Yep, 78% of "sugar babies" approve of Weiner.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 11:01 AM   #179
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

He's just limping along at this point, unless something comes up he's dead meat.
I hear he already has the next campaign manager narrowed down to a Mr. C. Ialis and a Ms. Vi Agra, either one should get him up in the polls with real staying power.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 11:03 AM   #180
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

How is he preventing anyone from running?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 11:05 AM   #181
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Hey Weiner! Give up already, won't you?

I can't stand a guy who doesn't know the party's over.
The party's never over... IN HIS PANTS!!!!!!!!

Old 30th July 2013, 12:38 PM   #182
cwalner
Philosopher

Not sure, but Bill Maher accidentally referred to Weiner as Spitzer on Real Time while Spitzer was sitting just across the table as a panelist.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:47 PM   #183
ravdin
Illuminator

Weiner's campaign fires back at the intern who related an unflattering story about her work experience. The nuanced response shows why I am eternally grateful for the talent, sophistication, and intellect of our betters in the upper echelons of NYC's political class.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...hes-intern.php

Last edited by ravdin; 30th July 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:55 PM   #184
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it could be the Weiner-Spitzer ticket... Don't think too hard.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 12:06 AM   #185
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Weiner's campaign fires back at the intern who related an unflattering story about her work experience. The nuanced response shows why I am eternally grateful for the talent, sophistication, and intellect of our betters in the upper echelons of NYC's political class.

LOL! And they think Republicans are waging a war on women.
Old 31st July 2013, 01:41 AM   #186
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Tu quoque much?
Old 31st July 2013, 07:04 AM   #187
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it could be the Weiner-Spitzer ticket... Don't think too hard.
Wouldn't that prevent the swallows from coming to Capistrano?
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 07:12 AM   #188
Spindrift

Latest is that Weiner vows to stay in the race.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-campaign?lite

Quote:
"Quit isn't the way we roll in New York City. We fight through tough things. We’re a tough city," Weiner says, staring straight into the camera in the minute-long video posted on his campaign's website.
I'll be finished when I'm finished bitch.
Old 31st July 2013, 08:18 AM   #189
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Like tell me, Ms. Morgan, are you like a reformed valley girl or something, or do you like just really like the word 'like', like a lot??
Old 31st July 2013, 08:19 AM   #190
ravdin
Illuminator

Tu quoque much?
Thank you jj. I'd like to remind everyone that it's completely acceptable to refer to a female intern as a "slutbag" if she has the temerity to embarrass a politician in the Democratic party. It's also acceptable for said politicians to exchange sexually explicit messages with high schoolers (don't try this yourself unless you want to get arrested). Just don't make any references to binders full of women.

Last edited by ravdin; 31st July 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 31st July 2013, 08:27 AM   #191
Spindrift

Thank you jj. I'd like to remind everyone that it's completely acceptable to refer to a female intern as a "slutbag" if she has the temerity to embarrass a politician in the Democratic party. It's also acceptable for said politicians to exchange sexually explicit messages with high schoolers (don't try this yourself unless you want to get arrested). Just don't make any references to binders full of women.
Where did he say that's okay?

And how does one idiot Democrat compare with Republicans passing bills that are anti-woman?
Old 31st July 2013, 12:09 PM   #192
Neally
Illuminator

And how does one idiot Democrat compare with Republicans passing bills that are anti-woman?
If you are referring to abortion limits as "anti-women bills", I'm afraid you've bought into the "war on women" meme far too deeply than any possible answer could explain to you.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 01:09 PM   #193
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Neally View Post
If you are referring to abortion limits as "anti-women bills", I'm afraid you've bought into the "war on women" meme far too deeply than any possible answer could explain to you.
You think ******** abortion laws are the only things Republicans are doing legislatively to harm women?

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 01:26 PM   #194
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SInce he has no hope of winning, I hope Weiner stays in the race just for the entertainment value.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 02:37 PM   #195
Virus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
You think ******** abortion laws are the only things Republicans are doing legislatively to harm women?
They need to do more to protect whorebags, c***s and sluts.
"They say the right things. They ‘speak truth to power’, ‘transgress boundaries’, and all the rest of it. But you will have noticed that they are careful only to challenge religions that won’t hurt them (Christianity) and governments that won’t arrest them (democracies)." - Nick Cohen.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 03:03 PM   #196
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Virus View Post
They need to do more to protect whorebags, c***s and sluts.
Can you answer the question of how this non-politician's vile words are equivalent to the Republican's anti-woman legislative efforts? Or are you happy just leaving it as the falsest of false equivalencies?

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 03:05 PM   #197
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, exactly who said this was "ok"?

Please be specific, and show testable, verifiable evidence where anyone, and I mean ANYONE in this thread, has defended Spitzer.

Thank you for your misleading rhetoric.
Old 31st July 2013, 03:22 PM   #198
ravdin
Illuminator

Ok, exactly who said this was "ok"?

Please be specific, and show testable, verifiable evidence where anyone, and I mean ANYONE in this thread, has defended Spitzer.

Thank you for your misleading rhetoric.
What does Elliot Spitzer have to do with any of this? I could have sworn this thread was about Anthony Weiner.

Old 31st July 2013, 04:10 PM   #199
jj
Penultimate Amazing

What does Elliot Spitzer have to do with any of this? I could have sworn this thread was about Anthony Weiner.
So, I'm not allowed to think they are both contemptible nitwits? Why not?

Now, please provide testable, verifiable evidence that anyone, anywhere is excusing Weiner for his (I'll be polite here and call it) insane behavior.

Where? Who? When? Why?

You made the accusation, surely you have some evidence beyond a straw man feigned via a game of semantics, after all?
Old 31st July 2013, 04:26 PM   #200
ravdin
Illuminator

So, I'm not allowed to think they are both contemptible nitwits? Why not?

Now, please provide testable, verifiable evidence that anyone, anywhere is excusing Weiner for his (I'll be polite here and call it) insane behavior.

Where? Who? When? Why?

You made the accusation, surely you have some evidence beyond a straw man feigned via a game of semantics, after all?
When did you stop beating your wife?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics