ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Weiner , Breitbart.com , Huma Abedin , sex scandals , Twitter incidents

Old 31st July 2013, 04:38 PM   #201
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
When did you stop beating your wife?
So that's "no one here thinks that it's completely acceptable to refer to a female intern as a 'slutbag' if she has the temerity to embarrass a politician in the Democratic party, and no one here thinks it's acceptable for said politicians to exchange sexually explicit messages with high schoolers", then?

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 05:01 PM   #202
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
So that's "no one here thinks that it's completely acceptable to refer to a female intern as a 'slutbag' if she has the temerity to embarrass a politician in the Democratic party, and no one here thinks it's acceptable for said politicians to exchange sexually explicit messages with high schoolers", then?
Obviously not. I was just making fun of the inevitable outrage when it's pointed out that this behavior is coming from representatives of the Democratic party.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 05:06 PM   #203
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Obviously not. I was just making fun of the inevitable outrage when it's pointed out that this behavior is coming from representatives of the Democratic party.
Democrats can be sexist, misogynist scum too. They just don't make it part of their party platform like Republicans do.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 05:07 PM   #204
jj
Penultimate Amazing

When did you stop beating your wife?
Who supported Weiner?

Do tell us.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 05:17 PM   #205
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SInce he has no hope of winning, I hope Weiner stays in the race just for the entertainment value.
Or at least until he gets a Reality Show. Here Comes Weiner?
Old 31st July 2013, 05:23 PM   #206
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Or Hot Dog!
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2013, 05:35 PM   #207
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
It should be more of a reality/game show format, sort of based on the Find Waldo books. Every week he'll travel to a new place, where he'll take a picture of his junk near a famous place or landmark. Then, from looking at the pictures, the contestants will have to try and guess where he is for cash and glamorous prizes.
You could call it, "Where will Weiner pop up next?"
Old 31st July 2013, 06:23 PM   #208
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It should be more of a reality/game show format, sort of based on the Find Waldo books. Every week he'll travel to a new place, where he'll take a picture of his junk near a famous place or landmark. Then, from looking at the pictures, the contestants will have to try and guess where he is for cash and glamorous prizes.

Here ya go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/

Get to work. I'm sure he'll be available for work on this after the election.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 06:03 AM   #209
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
How about Weiner or no Weiner?. Contestants will be shown pictures of someone's junk and they have to guess whether or not it's Andrew's.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 06:40 AM   #210
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Pre-internet guys like Weiner would be exposing themselves in parks and such.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 09:01 AM   #211
Neally
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jj View Post
Who supported Weiner?

Do tell us.
Wasn't he leading in the polls prior to this latest expose?
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 10:02 AM   #212
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Forget about the "sending pics of his junk" thing...the right wing's leading lights are hot on the trail of the real danger Anthony Weiner presents to America.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...adist-activity

Quote:
American Family Association spokesman Bryan Fischer yesterday alleged that former congressman Anthony Weiner is running for mayor in order to “create an opportunity for more jihadist activity” as part of a Muslim Brotherhood plot, led by his wife Huma Abedin. Fischer, who on Monday said that Abedin seeks to “destroy Western Civilization,” claimed that Weiner is running for mayor in order to “pull back” on the NYPD’s surveillance of the city’s Muslim community and aid “Islam and the Muslim Brotherhood and their agenda to exterminate and destroy Western Civilization.”
http://deadstate.org/fox-news-panel-...omment-page-1/

Quote:
According to a slightly-crazed panel discussing Anthony Weiner on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show, the real issue being ignored by the main-stream media is his wife’s ties to radical Islam and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Hannity guest Brooke Goldstein started out by revealing a hidden plot by Islamists to infiltrate U.S. politics.

“What’s amazing to me is that we’re spending time debating ‘Shmecklegate’ when Huma Abedin, who has connections to the Muslim Brotherhood, who is connected to the chief financier of Al Qaeda, is his wife and has top security clearance,” Goldstein exclaimed.

Fellow panelist and Fox contributor Monica Crowley wasted no time in chiming in. “That’s the real Huma Abedin story,” Crowley declared. “It’s not about Weiner’s weener. It’s about Huma Abedin and her ties to Islamic supremacists.”

Drawing the conspiracy even deeper, another panelist alluded to Abedin’s relationship to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, to whom Abedin was an assistant — reminding Crowley that the Muslim Brotherhood may even one day have access to a future president.

Old 1st August 2013, 10:05 AM   #213
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jj View Post
Who supported Weiner?

Do tell us.
Evading my question, I see....

I defended Weiner on the first page, because I thought it was awful for his own party to throw him under the bus. All he did was send racy tweets and lie to reporters. It's not like he put a cigar in an intern's vagina, ejaculated on her dress, lied under oath, and bombed a factory in Sudan to distract the public's attention away from his scandals. The Democrats for sure wouldn't have anything to do with a politician like that.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 10:08 AM   #214
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

The Democrats for sure wouldn't have anything to do with a politician like that.
What elective office or appointed government position has Clinton held since then, again?

Old 1st August 2013, 10:19 AM   #215
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
LOL! And they think Republicans are waging a war on women.
I didn't see any laws being passed here to restrict women's rights, did you?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 10:21 AM   #216
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What elective office or appointed government position has Clinton held since then, again?
Well, there's that guy in San Francisco who has the full support of the Democratic Party and isn't being sued by Democrats... oh wait. That's right, he IS being taken to task by liberals, even though he's a democratic party Mayor.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 10:26 AM   #217
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Well, there's that guy in San Francisco who has the full support of the Democratic Party and isn't being sued by Democrats... oh wait. That's right, he IS being taken to task by liberals, even though he's a democratic party Mayor.
That's news to me. What did Ed Lee do?

Old 1st August 2013, 10:27 AM   #218
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Filthy Filner is in San Diego, not San Francisco. And he's only being "taken to task" because the scandal is public and undeniable. But the party covered for him for decades. As long as they could keep it from becoming public, he had their protection, not their censure.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 10:29 AM   #219
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Filthy Filner is in San Diego, not San Francisco. And he's only being "taken to task" because the scandal is public and undeniable. But the party covered for him for decades. As long as they could keep it from becoming public, he had their protection, not their censure.
Who made it public, conservatives?
Old 1st August 2013, 10:45 AM   #220
Neally
Illuminator

I didn't see any laws being passed here to restrict women's rights, did you?
Yep, trying to protect the unborn is such a war on women, isn't it?
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 10:47 AM   #221
ravdin
Illuminator

President of the United States.

Old 1st August 2013, 10:58 AM   #222
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

President of the United States.
No, he was already President of the United States before that happened. What elective office or appointed government position has he held since then?

Old 1st August 2013, 11:02 AM   #223
ravdin
Illuminator

No, he was already President of the United States before that happened. What elective office or appointed government position has he held since then?
The events that I mentioned didn't happen on January 20, 2001. Clinton got to keep his job because his party rallied around him. I'm fine with that actually, but I was just pointing out that the same people who so loudly defended Clinton couldn't throw Weiner under the bus fast enough.

Old 1st August 2013, 11:20 AM   #224
cwalner
Philosopher

The events that I mentioned didn't happen on January 20, 2001. Clinton got to keep his job because his party rallied around him. I'm fine with that actually, but I was just pointing out that the same people who so loudly defended Clinton couldn't throw Weiner under the bus fast enough.
Sorry, there are enough differences between the Clinton Situation and the Weiner one. One thing is that Weiner was already forced out of office for this behavior, he continued to engage in it, while seeking another office. He knew that it would not be tolerated, and continued to do so. This shows such a monumental lack of judgement, that nothing Clinton ever did even comes close. Although the absolute deal breaker on Weiner for me is the revelation about spending $45k of campaign funds to hire an investigator to find a hacker that he knew did not exist.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:26 AM   #225
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
Sorry, there are enough differences between the Clinton Situation and the Weiner one. One thing is that Weiner was already forced out of office for this behavior, he continued to engage in it, while seeking another office. He knew that it would not be tolerated, and continued to do so. This shows such a monumental lack of judgement, that nothing Clinton ever did even comes close. Although the absolute deal breaker on Weiner for me is the revelation about spending $45k of campaign funds to hire an investigator to find a hacker that he knew did not exist.
"Doesn't come close" on lack of judgment? Ha! What doesn't come close is that Weiner obviously lacks Clinton's political skills and personal charm.

Old 1st August 2013, 11:55 AM   #226
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Ummm... are you confused about the difference between holding office and getting elected to office? Or do you just have your dates completely mixed up? Because Clinton most definitely held the office of President after the Lewinsky scandal spilled onto her dress the front pages.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 12:03 PM   #227
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Neally View Post
Yep, trying to protect the unborn is such a war on women, isn't it?
Yes, yes it is. So is the attack on the fair pay act, and trying to limit access to health care as well as contraceptives.
Old 1st August 2013, 12:20 PM   #228
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Ummm... are you confused about the difference between holding office and getting elected to office?
No, I'm making the point that he had already been re-elected President before the Lewinsky scandal. But once that already-existing term expired, Clinton, unlike (for example) David Vitter and Mark Sanford, never stood for any other elective office (much less won re-election post-scandal), was never supported as a candidate for anything by the Democrats, and was never even appointed to a government post.

In short, once he was out of office, Democrats did not want him back in, nor let him back in.

Old 1st August 2013, 12:24 PM   #229
ravdin
Illuminator

No, I'm making the point that he had already been re-elected President before the Lewinsky scandal. But once that already-existing term expired, Clinton, unlike (for example) David Vitter and Mark Sanford, never stood for any other elective office (much less won re-election post-scandal), was never supported as a candidate for anything by the Democrats, and was never even appointed to a government post.

In short, once he was out of office, Democrats did not want him back in, nor let him back in.
John Quincy Adams served in the House of Representatives after his term as president, and William Howard Taft was appointed to the Supreme Court as Chief Justice. But as I'm sure you know, it's extremely rare for ex-presidents to seek office and I don't know of other examples.

Old 1st August 2013, 12:43 PM   #230
ravdin
Illuminator

BREAKING NEWS: Anthony Weiner has received the official endorsement of NY gubernatorial candidate Jimmy "The Rent Is Too Damn High" McMillan, doubling Weiner's base to two voters.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ner-95048.html

Old 1st August 2013, 01:01 PM   #231
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, I'm making the point that he had already been re-elected President before the Lewinsky scandal.
Then you should have used different words to describe what you meant. Because ravdin's answer was the correct answer to the question you actually asked.

Quote:
Presidents basically never run for office again after their second term, so that's not exactly saying much.

ETA: I guess ravdin uncovered some very old examples, but they're not really relevant anymore.

Last edited by Ziggurat; 1st August 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 1st August 2013, 01:57 PM   #232
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Then you should have used different words to describe what you meant. Because ravdin's answer was the correct answer to the question you actually asked.
Then I apologize for asking it incorrectly, and am glad for the opportunity to provide clarification.

Quote:
Presidents basically never run for office again after their second term, so that's not exactly saying much.
It's still no less true.

Old 1st August 2013, 02:10 PM   #233
elbe
Illuminator

It's still no less true.
It could, I guess, be argued that if he ran for an office again he might have a lot of support.
Old 1st August 2013, 02:33 PM   #234
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by elbe View Post
It could, I guess, be argued that if he ran for an office again he might have a lot of support.
Perhaps, but considering that his reputation was such that there were concerns that it could actually be damaging to his wife's political aspirations and various candidacies (with some saying it actually was damaging), I find it doubtful.

Old 1st August 2013, 07:52 PM   #235
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Hee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 1st August 2013, 08:14 PM   #236
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Who made it public, conservatives?
The victims. If they're mostly liberals, it's because Filthy Filner was mostly around liberals and so that's naturally who he victimized. But they came forward because they were victims, and that's not political.

But the political affiliation of the people who covered up for Filner, even threatening others who complained about his behavior to stay silent, well, that WAS political, and it wasn't done by conservatives.
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:40 AM   #237
Olowkow
Philosopher

I never could understand why Anthony Weiner pronounces his name [wee-nur], while Jeff Weiner CEO of LInkedin pronounces his [why-nur]. I know a family whose name is Fuchs, and they certainly know better than to change it from the perfectly acceptable [fyuks] to anything else.

In German, [ei] pronounced like [eye] as in "fraulein", and [ie] is pronounced like [fee], as in "wiener" (hot dog) in English.

I'm not alone in wondering if Anthony is conducting some sort of exhibitionist art project.

Quote:
http://www.franklycurious.com/index.php?itemid=751
Weiner is wrong about how his name ought to be pronounced, however. What's more, his comment that John Boehner should just go with his name—implying that it should be pronounced "boner"—is also wrong. Both names look German, with the correct spelling of "Boehner" being "Böhner.

Last edited by Olowkow; 2nd August 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:48 AM   #238
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I never could understand why Anthony Weiner pronounces his name [wee-nur], while Jeff Weiner CEO of LInkedin pronounces his [why-nur].
Because when you receive a picture from him, you say, "Oh look a Weener"
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:05 AM   #239
elbe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I never could understand why Anthony Weiner pronounces his name [wee-nur], while Jeff Weiner CEO of LInkedin pronounces his [why-nur]. I know a family whose name is Fuchs, and they certainly know better than to change it from the perfectly acceptable [fyuks] to anything else.

In German, [ei] pronounced like [eye] as in "fraulein", and [ie] is pronounced like [fee], as in "wiener" (hot dog) in English.

I'm not alone in wondering if Anthony is conducting some sort of exhibitionist art project.
Could be that's just how they always pronounced it. My last name is Italian (though I'm not) but I'm sure we don't pronounce it anywhere near correctly, we went with the 'how it looks' pronunciation, though plenty of people manage to mess even that up.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:12 AM   #240
lane99
Muse

Weiner's weiner

What's the big deal about his back? I thought it was his front that was at issue. Which, if it's anything like his nose, must be an enormous blower. Or, as the case might be, blowee.

Poor guy.

Twitter: @Perugiamurderfi

Last edited by lane99; 2nd August 2013 at 10:13 AM.
lane99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics