ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange

Reply
Old 27th October 2016, 12:23 PM   #361
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And why when he was accused of rape in Sweden, did he flee to the UK, which has even closer ties to the US?
I could be wrong, as I'm not a close follower of this case, but when he left Sweden to come to the UK wasn't it the case that there were no charges against him? There had been charges against him, but they were dropped. Once he was in the UK charges were brought again and he refused to travel back to Sweden to face them - although he did offer to talk with the prosecutors via Skype from inside the Swedish embassy in London. Then came the extradition order and European arrest warrant, his arrest in London, him bailing himself out, and his asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.

So while I don't disagree that he's acting like someone who is afraid of facing charges of rape in Sweden rather than someone who is afraid of extradition to the US from Sweden, I do think that characterising his movement from Sweden to the UK as "flee[ing]" is unwarranted. Although, as I say, I'm not overly familiar with the case, so am happy to be corrected on any facts I may have got wrong or misinterpreted.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:27 PM   #362
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,545
Assange is nothing more than a prima donna who has turned into a bit of a laughing stock, hiding from charges of committing rape.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 01:40 PM   #363
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,248
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I could be wrong, as I'm not a close follower of this case, but when he left Sweden to come to the UK wasn't it the case that there were no charges against him?

[...]

Although, as I say, I'm not overly familiar with the case, so am happy to be corrected on any facts I may have got wrong or misinterpreted.
Well, you could run into some discussion on what constitutes "charges", but if we skip that discussion a good place to check out the timeline is the "Agreed Facts" from the UK Supreme Court. You can find them at https://www.scribd.com/document/8091...s-Assange-Case

Originally Posted by Agreed facts
On 21 st September 2010 , the prosecutor contacted the Appellant’s counsel by text message to ask whether the Appellant could be made available for an interrogation on 28 thSeptember 2010. The date was provisionally agreed.

On 27 th September 2010 , the Appellant’s counsel advised the prosecutor that he had been unable to contact the Appellant. The prosecutor stated that she would consider how to proceed. Later that day, the prosecutor ordered that the Appellant should be arrested.

On 30 th September 2010, the Appellant’s counsel was advised of the existence of the arrest warrant. He advised the prosecutor that the Appellant was by then abroad. The Appellant had left Sweden on 27
th September 2010.[...]
So based on those facts, JAs counsel couldn't reach him from the 21st to the 27th, and therefore JA wasn't aware that he was wanted for interrogation.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 02:21 PM   #364
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,526
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
Well, you could run into some discussion on what constitutes "charges", but if we skip that discussion a good place to check out the timeline is the "Agreed Facts" from the UK Supreme Court. You can find them at https://www.scribd.com/document/8091...s-Assange-Case



So based on those facts, JAs counsel couldn't reach him from the 21st to the 27th, and therefore JA wasn't aware that he was wanted for interrogation.
Fair enough, thanks for the correction. It seems I had the timeline somewhat wrong.

However, I think the point remains valid: The UK is far more friendly with the US than Sweden. Assange's movements during this period are movements towards the US, politically and diplomatically speaking. They are not the movements of a man who fears persecution by the US.

Ultimately, they are the movements of a man who fears prosecution for rape charges in Sweden.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 03:04 PM   #365
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
So based on those facts, JAs counsel couldn't reach him from the 21st to the 27th, and therefore JA wasn't aware that he was wanted for interrogation.
That looks to me like he ran away from an interrogation, but left the country 3 days before his counsel was informed that he had an arrest warrant out for him. That certainly makes the word "flee[ing]" more apt, but I don't think it's fair to say that he ran away from an arrest warrant.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 03:21 PM   #366
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
But it has been repeatedly shown that under Swedish law they cannot,
This is your opinion.
There is no sure word about this

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
and under American law they have no charges against him, nor do they even want to extradite.
Today, as he is in the Ecuador Embassy
Tomorrow, as soon as he is out they can fabricate them
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 03:27 PM   #367
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Annexing countries with referencumand providing them with equal status, minorities protection is a good thing, Invading countries, killing people and then leave them in the **** with ISIS is a bad thing

Edited by Agatha:  Edited breach of rule 10

Last edited by Agatha; 28th October 2016 at 11:30 AM.
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 03:42 PM   #368
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely
 
Sabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,556
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
This is your opinion.
There is no sure word about this
Um, yes there is. It's called "the law", and it's readily available should you choose to search for it online. It's called the Extradition for Criminal Offenses Act. Here, I'll even quote the relevant passage for you:

Quote:
Extradition may not be granted for military or political offences. Nor may extradition be granted if there is reason to fear that the person whose extradition is requested runs a risk - on account of his or her ethnic origins, membership of a particular social group or religious or political beliefs - of being subjected to persecution threatening his or her life or freedom, or is serious in some other respect. Nor, moreover, may extradition be granted if it would be contrary to fundamental humanitarian principles, e.g. in consideration of a person's youth or the state of this person's health. Finally, in principle, extradition may not be granted if a judgment has been pronounced for the same offence in this country. Nor may extradition be granted if the offence would have been statute-barred by limitation under Swedish law.
Kind of hard to argue with actual, quotable law.

Quote:
Today, as he is in the Ecuador Embassy
Tomorrow, as soon as he is out they can fabricate them
May I ask what you think those charges would be? Again, please note that they'd have to stand up in a court of law, so a simple charge of "we don't like him and want to torture him" wouldn't fly. The fact of the matter is, as an Australian citizen, Assange is not subject to the vast majority of our laws and is therefore of no interest and little use to the US Government. Wikileaks can easily go on without him, as has been proved by the last several years of Assange hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy while Wikileaks blithely went about its business, so his knowledge of them is suspect by this point and would also be of little use to the US Government.

Right now, Assange is literal poison to the US Government; any effort made to capture him would be seen by the majority of the world as the US pursuing a vendetta and would make us look worse than we already do, to the point that we would likely see people pulling out of trade agreements and alliances in protest of our actions in pursuing this man for no legitimate reason. If you approach the situation logically, this is self-evident. But then again, logic was never the strong point for conspiracy theorists, so I can see how it would be difficult for you.
__________________
"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope."-Winston Churchill
"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do"-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 04:10 PM   #369
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Um, yes there is. It's called "the law", and it's readily available should you choose to search for it online. It's called the Extradition for Criminal Offenses Act. Here, I'll even quote the relevant passage for you:



Kind of hard to argue with actual, quotable law.
I am absolutely sure the CIA plays clean and can not find one, two or ten women that can testify under oath that Assange has repeatedly raped them in the US and therefore an extradition is needed


Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
May I ask what you think those charges would be? Again, please note that they'd have to stand up in a court of law, so a simple charge of "we don't like him and want to torture him" wouldn't fly.
Many were tortured and sent to Guantanamo without a trial and without evidence

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
The fact of the matter is, as an Australian citizen, Assange is not subject to the vast majority of our laws and is therefore of no interest and little use to the US Government. Wikileaks can easily go on without him, as has been proved by the last several years of Assange hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy while Wikileaks blithely went about its business, so his knowledge of them is suspect by this point and would also be of little use to the US Government.
The US needs to punish the people who stand out and denounce

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Right now, Assange is literal poison to the US Government; any effort made to capture him would be seen by the majority of the world as the US pursuing a vendetta and would make us look worse than we already do, to the point that we would likely see people pulling out of trade agreements and alliances in protest of our actions in pursuing this man for no legitimate reason.
Sorry but you live in la-la land
Do you think that trade arrangements are created on the basis of human rights?
HAHAHAHA!! Yech!
Nobody would care if the United States put Assange in prison for te next 50 years
Many people in the US will be happy

Last edited by SashatheMagnificent; 27th October 2016 at 04:13 PM.
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 04:32 PM   #370
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
This is your opinion.
There is no sure word about this
Assange was sure enough that he sought residency in order to base Wikileaks there, because of the laws they have protecting whistleblowers. How do you account for this?

Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
I am absolutely sure the CIA plays clean and can not find one, two or ten women that can testify under oath that Assange has repeatedly raped them in the US and therefore an extradition is needed
So why haven't they?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 04:55 PM   #371
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Assange was sure enough that he sought residency in order to base Wikileaks there, because of the laws they have protecting whistleblowers. How do you account for this?
Not the slightest idea


Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So why haven't they?
As assange is in the embassy
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 05:18 PM   #372
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Not the slightest idea
Have you considered the possibility that their laws on protecting whistleblowers would actually protect whistleblower Assange?

Quote:
As assange is in the embassy
Why would that affect people in the US testifying against him? More charges against him would surely only put additional pressure on Ecuador to no longer grant him asylum? Especially seeing as many states in the US don't have a statute of limitations for rape at all and these charges the US could manufacture would mean that Assange would have to stay in the embassy for the rest of his life, rather than until 2020. So there'd be more pressure on Ecuador to kick him out, and more psychological pressure on him to leave of his own volition and face the possibility of a shorter term of incarceration in America.

Seems like it would be an excellent move on the US's behalf precisely because he's still in the embassy.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 08:25 PM   #373
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely
 
Sabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,556
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Sorry but you live in la-la land
Do you think that trade arrangements are created on the basis of human rights?
HAHAHAHA!! Yech!
Nobody would care if the United States put Assange in prison for te next 50 years
Many people in the US will be happy
No, I live in a land called the United States of America. And I happen to work for a company that does contract work for the government, which puts me in close proximity to see how government actually works. Currently, no one in the US Government could give two ***** about Assange and his paranoia; we're rather occupied with far more important things than one idiot's egomania and certainty that the US Government would literally drop everything else if they could just get their hands on his carcass. Frankly, Wikileaks itself occupies more attention than Assange does, and even that is a mere fraction of a percent when placed in context with the overarching issues occupying the attention of policymakers and politicians. Sorry bro, but contrary to your (and apparently Assange's) belief, he just ain't that important and we aren't going to stretch our necks out in order to get our hands on whatever dubious knowledge he claims to have or to punish him for something that our Department of Justice and our Attorney General have said over and over that we don't have anything to charge him with. We have far more important things to worry about than illegally punishing someone for something that, for him, wasn't even against our laws.

And before you point out that the CIA has secret torture facilities and other blah blah blah, I would remind you that the US Military has one of, if not the best trained covert forces in the world and it is extremely easy for them to covertly infiltrate a location and set up an accident which would either kill Assange outright or force him from the Embassy and therefore into custody, and yet no one has done so. Possibly because, shocker alert, NO ONE CARES ABOUT HIM OVER HERE. The only country currently interested in grabbing him for violations of their laws is Sweden, and as I have pointed out, their law quite strictly prevents their extraditing a prisoner for political reasons, so we would not seek to grab him that way because Sweden would not cooperate.

Right now, the ONLY people who care about Assange being forced back to the US are the people who've drunk his Kool-aid and are convinced that the "ebil guvmint" are literally foaming at the mouth to get their mitts on him. Clearly you are in their ranks, so nothing I say is going to get through to you, but hopefully saner minds out there will read and comprehend what I and others have said about the situation and realize that Assange was a blip on the screen for the US that has since disappeared and we no longer care about him. Enjoy your paranoia.
__________________
"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope."-Winston Churchill
"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do"-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 09:11 PM   #374
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,526
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Not the slightest idea
And that is why you fail.

In fact, Sweden's accommodating laws and track record in harboring American traitors is an excellent reason for Assange to establish himself and his publication there.

Step one of your idea, and already your idea is a failure.

You should try reading the thread. It might give you some idea to work with. At least it will be better than having no idea.

Last edited by theprestige; 27th October 2016 at 09:14 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 09:20 PM   #375
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Have you considered the possibility that their laws on protecting whistleblowers would actually protect whistleblower Assange?

Why would that affect people in the US testifying against him? More charges against him would surely only put additional pressure on Ecuador to no longer grant him asylum? Especially seeing as many states in the US don't have a statute of limitations for rape at all and these charges the US could manufacture would mean that Assange would have to stay in the embassy for the rest of his life, rather than until 2020. So there'd be more pressure on Ecuador to kick him out, and more psychological pressure on him to leave of his own volition and face the possibility of a shorter term of incarceration in America.

Seems like it would be an excellent move on the US's behalf precisely because he's still in the embassy.
Everything is possible, of course
Nor I claim to know the law well

I am just saying that there is plenty of evidence, unless you have thick slices of salami on your eyes, to believe that the whole thing has been made up
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 09:31 PM   #376
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,545
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Everything is possible, of course
Nor I claim to know the law well

I am just saying that there is plenty of evidence, unless you have thick slices of salami on your eyes, to believe that the whole thing has been made up
Rather than the obvious
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 09:47 PM   #377
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,012
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Assange is nothing more than a prima donna who has turned into a bit of a laughing stock, hiding from charges of committing rape.
What have you done with cullennz?
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 09:50 PM   #378
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,545
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
What have you done with cullennz?
I can't stand the dude.

The idiot has probably spent more time playing poor me in the embassy than he would have got if his rape accusation was proven
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 01:35 AM   #379
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Everything is possible, of course
Nor I claim to know the law well

I am just saying that there is plenty of evidence, unless you have thick slices of salami on your eyes, to believe that the whole thing has been made up
Of course, for a hypothesis to be compelling it has to account for all the evidence, including the fact that Assange was visiting Sweden in order to apply for residency so that he could base Wikileaks there. If you can't account for that, then you have no cogent hypothesis.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 02:15 AM   #380
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,248
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Of course, for a hypothesis to be compelling it has to account for all the evidence, including the fact that Assange was visiting Sweden in order to apply for residency so that he could base Wikileaks there. If you can't account for that, then you have no cogent hypothesis.
And the fact that JA was in known places in the UK from august 2010 to may/june 2012 when he lost the appeal, and went to the Ecuador embassy instead of being sent back to Sweden.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 04:12 AM   #381
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 17,774
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
May I ask what you think those charges would be? Again, please note that they'd have to stand up in a court of law, so a simple charge of "we don't like him and want to torture him" wouldn't fly. The fact of the matter is, as an Australian citizen, Assange is not subject to the vast majority of our laws and is therefore of no interest and little use to the US Government.
That part of your argument is weak sauce.

US courts routinely assert jurisdiction when there's only a small link to the USA. The victim is an American? Check, jurisdiction. The accused is American? Check, jurisdiction. The conspirators to the crime had one meeting in a NY diner? Check, jurisdiction. Assange not being American only really protects him against the crime of treason - after all, you can only commit treason against your own country.

Far more important is that Holder said himself he sees no crime as Assange only published what someone else (Manning) leaked. And that Assange's own movements betray that it's a load of bollocks: you don't run away from the USA by moving to the country that is the most friendly to the USA.
__________________
Founder of the group "The Truth about Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu aka Mother Teresa"

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:55 AM   #382
Thermal
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,065
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
I bet you fail to grasp, and after this text you will still fail to grasp, that may be precisely because many american are freakin` idiots that Assange is in trouble

Do not understand yet?
For sure..
Wrong again, Sasha. America's GDP and wages over decades have absolutely nothing to do with Assange's rape questioning. Just get the argument in the right part of the forum.

And please, get the 'amerikans is stoopid' thread online. Should be a blast.
__________________

Previously known as MostlyDead. Feeling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:57 AM   #383
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
When people talk about "the big picture" I generally find this means "your pesky fact details will not affect my preconceived notions."
Your opinion
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:59 AM   #384
SashatheMagnificent
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Wrong again, Sasha. America's GDP and wages over decades have absolutely nothing to do with Assange's rape questioning. Just get the argument in the right part of the forum.

And please, get the 'amerikans is stoopid' thread online. Should be a blast.
Some of the world leading intellectuals believe the US may and probably have a lot to do with Assange arrest
You may be entitled though of your opinion, even if I would not consider it as the most smart one

Last edited by SashatheMagnificent; 28th October 2016 at 08:03 AM.
SashatheMagnificent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 08:08 AM   #385
Thermal
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,065
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Some of the world leading intellectuals believe the US may and probably have a lot to do with Assange arrest
You may be entitled though of your opinion, even if I would not consider it as the most smart one
Someintellectuals may think that, but absolutely not for the reasons you keep talking about (GDP, wages, exports, etc ad nauseum.

If you have 'thoughts' on the subject, just get 'em in the right sub forum.
__________________

Previously known as MostlyDead. Feeling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 08:10 AM   #386
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
You keep talking about details that we (me and you) know little about
I'm focusing on Assange's opinion of the likelihood of extradition from Sweden changing within the course of a fortnight from wanting to live there because he knew it was one of the safest places he could be to putting himself in confinement in order to avoid going there because he claims it's one of the least safe places he could be. The only significant event to occur during this time, even according to him, is the accusation of rape. Swedish law concerning extradition and protection of whistleblowers has not changed.

You can ignore this all you like, using whatever excuse you like, but these facts remain and your failure to account for them is a fatal blow to your argument.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 08:23 AM   #387
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 18,586
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
You keep talking about details that we (me and you) know little about
I am focusing on the big picture

I doubt you will ever grasp this, just trying
The "big picture" being that nobody in the world outside of the United States or Israel should be held accountable for any wrong doing as long as Bush and Cheney have not been tried for war crimes.

Got it.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 08:33 AM   #388
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Your opinion
Observations of reality are not opinions.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 09:54 AM   #389
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,526
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
You keep talking about details that we (me and you) know little about
You should read the thread. We (not you) actually know a lot about the details. Don't assume that just because you don't know the details, nobody else does either. Some of us have actually studied these things. Read the thread. You'll see.

Last edited by theprestige; 28th October 2016 at 09:56 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 11:34 AM   #390
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Moderator
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12,077
Mod Warning This is not a general 'USA=evil' thread. Please keep the conversation focused on Julian Assange.
Posted By:Agatha
__________________
Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet. Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 09:08 PM   #391
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,526
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Everything is possible, of course
No. Some things are possible. Some things are not.

Quote:
Nor I claim to know the law well
You should try reading the thread. Then you might know the law better.

Quote:
I am just saying that there is plenty of evidence, unless you have thick slices of salami on your eyes, to believe that the whole thing has been made up
You should try reading the thread. Then you might see what the evidence really is.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 09:10 PM   #392
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,526
Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent View Post
Educate yourself here

JUDGED in terms of the power, range, novelty and influence of his thought, Noam Chomsky is arguably the most important intellectual alive today
http://www.nytimes.com/1979/02/25/ar...msky.html?_r=0
Our source was the New York Times!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 03:37 AM   #393
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 10,806
I think this is the 8th time I've posted this
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/me...julian-assange
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 10:36 AM   #394
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,687
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I think this is the 8th time I've posted this
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/me...julian-assange
Thanks for that:

Quote:
In July 2010, Assange explained in a TED talk why Sweden was attractive to Wikileaks (see here at 0.20). It would appear that Wikileaks was at that time hosted in Sweden to take advantage of its liberal protections for the media and journalists. In August 2010 Wikileaks itself promoted a story in Reuters which described Sweden as a “legal shield” – their tweet is here.
Of course, this is a minor detail, and nothing to do with the big picture.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 10:52 AM   #395
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,248
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I think this is the 8th time I've posted this
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/me...julian-assange
And to add to that one, here's a link to a post I did quite some time ago, should those arguments pop up again...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...30#post8581330
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 04:52 AM   #396
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,248
Well, not that the sockpuppet is gone from the thread, I guess it's back to waiting for the interview at the embassy. Of course that won't happen until the US election is over JAs counsel can participate, on Nov 14th.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 02:41 AM   #397
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,248
The interview has now been confirmed for Nov 14th according to a press release from the prosecutors office.

The interview will be handled by a Ecuadorian prosecutor, but a Swedish prosecutor and a Swedish police will be present.

DNA testing will be done, if JA approves.

The Ecuadorian prosecutor will deliver a written account to the Swedish prosecutors office some unspecified time after the interview, and based on that the Swedish prosecutors office will make a decision on how to proceed.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 03:02 AM   #398
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,545
The dude has turned into a parody
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2016, 08:37 PM   #399
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,447
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
The interview has now been confirmed for Nov 14th according to a press release from the prosecutors office.

The interview will be handled by a Ecuadorian prosecutor, but a Swedish prosecutor and a Swedish police will be present.

DNA testing will be done, if JA approves.

The Ecuadorian prosecutor will deliver a written account to the Swedish prosecutors office some unspecified time after the interview, and based on that the Swedish prosecutors office will make a decision on how to proceed.
The interview has been concluded after a day and a half.
"No Comment" from the Swedish prosecutor.
A statement (as you said) to be produced "sometime".

Assange's mouthpiece is having her cake and eating it too.

He is innocent -
An "impartial and objective consideration" of Assange's evidence would lead to the prosecutors dropping their action, she said.
But, like Trump's challenge of election fraud, if the lose,
Ms Robinson confirmed that Assange's legal team intended to use the absence of his Swedish lawyer at the interview to prevent prosecutors building their case.
Assange was represented by an Ecuadorian lawyer.
So it wasn't as though he had no legal representation during the questioning - just not his pet Swedish one.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 02:05 AM   #400
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,632
Assange teases Americans

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...ithout-lawyers
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.