ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange

Old 15th March 2015, 01:39 PM   #41
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
I suppose he'll still stay at the embassy if they decide to charge him, but at least bringing such charges would suspend the statute of limitations?
No. The law says that one may not be sentenced to a penalty for being guilty of a crime if a certain length of time, which depends on the maximum penalty one could be sentenced to, has passed since the day that one committed said crime. Whether or not they are charged in a court of law is completely inconsequential.

So, assuming nothing else happens, he could say holed up there for about five more years (i think?) and then walk out of there a more or less free man.

Of course you have to wonder why anyone would prioritize saving face by staying essentially imprisoned inside an embassy for over half a decade instead of facing the possibility of spending a year or two at maximum in prison. If anything he would probably be more free inside a prison than that embassy.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 01:49 PM   #42
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He would still be arrested for skipping bail and failing to appear in court though.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 03:07 PM   #43
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He would still be arrested for skipping bail and failing to appear in court though.
Wouldn't the same rules apply, with a statute of limitation dependent on the sentence for those offences?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 03:51 PM   #44
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

No he is 'on the run' He didn't attend court, he broke the parole conditions and by not surrendering himself to the Court he is in Contempt and a warrant was issued by the court for his arrest. There is no limit to the warrant, all that can happen is the court withdraws it which I doubt they will do. Ronnie Biggs was on the run for decades and was thrown in jail when he finally surrendered.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 04:55 PM   #45
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
How can the statute of limitations apply when the suspect is a fugitive? That's the kind of crap you see in Mexico, I wouldn't think Sweden did that too.

That's a very odd definition of "fully comply". Full compliance would mean going back to Sweden for the investigation.
He isn't a fugitive until he's charged, and (AIUI) under Swedish law, it is required he be interviewed before he is formally charged.
Old 15th March 2015, 05:02 PM   #46
beren
Muse

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Wouldn't the same rules apply, with a statute of limitation dependent on the sentence for those offences?
Well statue of limitations starts even the crime ends. And the crime is ongoing up to the point where he is arrested.
beren is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 05:09 PM   #47
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

The English want him for breaking his parole. I can't imagine they would be deterred by the original case having been dropped.
Old 15th March 2015, 06:04 PM   #48
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
The English want him for breaking his parole. I can't imagine they would be deterred by the original case having been dropped.
At very minimum they should fine him the cost of the police guarding the embassy 24/7/365 to keep him from escaping.
Old 16th March 2015, 06:55 AM   #49
Matthew Best
Philosopher

There's a fascinating (but very long) piece in the LRB about what it's like to be Julian Assange's ghost writer (answer: not much fun) here:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n05/andrew-ohagan/ghosting

The key thought I came away with was this, by O'Hagan about Assange:

Quote:
I’ve never been with anybody who made me feel so like an adult. And I say that as the father of a ten-year-old.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2015, 10:07 PM   #50
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure that anyone really cares, but the Statute of limitations on the minor charges has now run out, though not the more serious one of rape. He's now imprisoned himself in the Embassy longer then he probably would have spend in jail had Sweden found him guilty. Rather ironic that, especially since he's still facing charges of rape and bail jumping...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2015, 01:47 PM   #51
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

It did get some press in Sweden when it ran out end of last week.

The latest Assange article in the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter seems to be a translation from an article in the Times (paywall).

The gist of the story is that JA costs Ecuador a fair amount of money.

Originally Posted by DN
Den främsta kostnaden är för säkerhetsvakter som skyddar Assange dygnet runt, och som även används för att åka till restauranger för att köpa hämt-mat åt gästen – som dels uppges vara kräsen med vad han äter, dels inte vill ha mat från samma ställe flera gånger – på grund av ”risken för att bli förgiftad”.
My translation:

The primary cost is for security guards that protects Assange 24 hours a day, and that are also used to go to restaurants to get take-out food for the guest - that is reported to be picky with what he eats, in part since he does not want food from the same place twice - due to the "risk of being poisoned".
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2015, 03:20 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
It did get some press in Sweden when it ran out end of last week.

The latest Assange article in the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter seems to be a translation from an article in the Times (paywall).

The gist of the story is that JA costs Ecuador a fair amount of money.

My translation:

The primary cost is for security guards that protects Assange 24 hours a day, and that are also used to go to restaurants to get take-out food for the guest - that is reported to be picky with what he eats, in part since he does not want food from the same place twice - due to the "risk of being poisoned".
Haha oh wow. I wonder if Ecuador is still patting itself on the back for its brilliant anti-America coup.

I mean, right about the time everybody else was concluding that America wouldn't mind getting its hands on Assange, but really didn't care enough to actually try, Ecuador decided that keeping Assange away from Swedish authorities was exactly the right way to give America the shaft.

Last edited by theprestige; 17th August 2015 at 03:22 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2015, 04:59 AM   #53
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

And in a delicious twist of irony, the very nation that has been sheltering Assange since the rape allegations is now coming under fire for... you guessed it, censorship.

Apparently Ecuador's President Correa used millions of dollars of taxpayer funds to have content removed from the internet; these included a documentary critical of his tenure, a video of a former aide to his wife alleging persecution, and a report of a jailbreak in Ecuador.

One has to wonder if Assange is aware of this or not.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2015, 09:36 AM   #54
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

He's been living in that bathroom for 5 years now.

He would have served less time if convicted.
Old 26th September 2015, 06:04 PM   #55
EHocking
Philosopher

A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2015, 06:10 PM   #56
Noztradamus
Illuminator

In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes - then forgotten
Old 15th October 2015, 11:41 AM   #57
Joey McGee
I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

He has had shoulder pain for 3 months and is begging the government to give him safe passage to a hospital so he can get an MRI done. He's so nice he even offered to let them surround him with 10,000 police officers the whole time. I'll give you one guess what the UK said... It could be cancer, or something serious. I would not be happy about that, no one deserves that, his family doesn't deserve that... but seriously dude? Now you're begging the world for someone to bring you a portable MRI machine? FFS GIVE IT UP you crazy kook! Sad

and

"On Monday British police withdrew a 24-hour guard from the embassy, but said they would still "deploy a number of overt and covert tactics" to arrest Assange if he left."

Don't worry, the guy probably thinks he's been RFID tagged or some other loony crap, he's too petrified to do anything but hide.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...sy-to-get-mri/
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2015, 12:23 PM   #58
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It must be tough, being quarantined so long and not being able to rape anyone.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2015, 03:54 PM   #59
Joey McGee
I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

This guy is gonna have cancer tumors popping out of his chest and still refusing to leave the embassy...
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2015, 04:13 PM   #60
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

One wonders if his hosts have decided to slowly poison him?
Old 13th December 2015, 03:18 PM   #61
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Progress!.. sort of. Ecuador has agreed to let the Swedish authorities interview Assange at the embassy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35089041
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2015, 03:31 PM   #62
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Anyone know how the statute of limitations comes into play here? Could he stay in the embassy until it expires?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 14th December 2015, 12:21 AM   #63
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Anyone know how the statute of limitations comes into play here? Could he stay in the embassy until it expires?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
2020. Wiki is your friend.
2 of the lesser charges have been dropped because SoL expired in August 2015, the SoL regarding the alleged rape is still extant.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 01:29 AM   #64
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Just let him rot
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 12:34 PM   #65
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Progress!.. sort of. Ecuador has agreed to let the Swedish authorities interview Assange at the embassy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35089041
Am I correct in thinking this is different from the previous offer by British authorities?

My understanding was that the British had offered to interview Assange on behalf of the Swedish authorities, who would be permitted to offer questioning guidelines and observe from another room. And the Swedish authorities quite rightly rejected that solution as unacceptable.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 01:30 PM   #66
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Just let him rot
He's already served a longer sentence and under worse conditions than he would have if convicted. I hope he never leaves that place - it is his self-constructed hell.
Old 14th December 2015, 09:40 PM   #67
Bob001
Illuminator

He's already served a longer sentence and under worse conditions than he would have if convicted. I hope he never leaves that place - it is his self-constructed hell.
My impression is that the Swedish allegations -- not even actual charges, as I understand it -- are not what he's worried about. His concern is that if he leaves the embassy, either the Brits or the Swedes will send him to the U.S. to be tried for espionage, or will put him into a position where Americans could grab him themselves. The Justice department has said they want him.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 01:01 AM   #68
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He was happily wandering around in London for long enough to be extradited, it didn't seem to worry him.
Old 21st January 2016, 04:45 AM   #69
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Am I correct in thinking this is different from the previous offer by British authorities?

My understanding was that the British had offered to interview Assange on behalf of the Swedish authorities, who would be permitted to offer questioning guidelines and observe from another room. And the Swedish authorities quite rightly rejected that solution as unacceptable.
And here we go again:

Originally Posted by "Swedish Prosecution Authority
Ecuador asks for renewed request to interview Assange
2016-01-21
In a reply, the Prosecutor-General of Ecuador has rejected, on formal grounds, the Swedish prosecutor’s request to interview Assange in London, as it refers to the request that was sent 29 May 2015.
In the letter, the Prosecutor-General also informs that Ecuador will conduct the interview, and therefore requests a list of the questions the Swedish prosecutor wants the Ecuadorian prosecutor to ask.

- At the moment, we consider if it effects the possibilities to conduct the investigative matters and, if that is case, we shall submit a renewed request, says Director of Public Prosecution Marianne Ny.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2016, 05:55 AM   #70
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
My impression is that the Swedish allegations -- not even actual charges, as I understand it -- are not what he's worried about. His concern is that if he leaves the embassy, either the Brits or the Swedes will send him to the U.S. to be tried for espionage, or will put him into a position where Americans could grab him themselves. The Justice department has said they want him.
Apologies for responding to a month-old post...

No, the Justice Department has flat out said they have nothing with which to charge him and have no interest in Assange. It's merely his paranoia that keeps him in that embassy, not any real threat of prosecution by the US Government.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2016, 11:27 AM   #71
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Apologies for responding to a month-old post...

No, the Justice Department has flat out said they have nothing with which to charge him and have no interest in Assange. It's merely his paranoia that keeps him in that embassy, not any real threat of prosecution by the US Government.
A prisoner of his own paranoia.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2016, 04:43 PM   #72
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
A prisoner of his own paranoia.
If he had faced the charges and been convicted, he would be out by now.

The down side of course would be getting a visa for foreign travel with a sex offense on his record, but he could be home in Australia having a pint right now.
Old 21st January 2016, 07:52 PM   #73
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
He has had shoulder pain for 3 months and is begging the government to give him safe passage to a hospital so he can get an MRI done. He's so nice he even offered to let them surround him with 10,000 police officers the whole time. I'll give you one guess what the UK said... It could be cancer, or something serious. I would not be happy about that, no one deserves that, his family doesn't deserve that... but seriously dude? Now you're begging the world for someone to bring you a portable MRI machine? FFS GIVE IT UP you crazy kook! Sad

and

"On Monday British police withdrew a 24-hour guard from the embassy, but said they would still "deploy a number of overt and covert tactics" to arrest Assange if he left."

Don't worry, the guy probably thinks he's been RFID tagged or some other loony crap, he's too petrified to do anything but hide.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...sy-to-get-mri/
I'm fine with the POS is in pain and not able to have anything done about it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2016, 08:30 PM   #74
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I'm fine with the POS is in pain and not able to have anything done about it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!!!!!!!
He won't even go near a window for fear he'll be lassoed and pulled out to the street.
Old 4th February 2016, 05:45 AM   #75
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

BBC reports that some kind of UN panel has ruled in favor of JA:

Originally Posted by BBC
A UN panel has ruled in favour of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange after he complained he was "arbitrarily detained", the BBC understands.

Mr Assange claimed asylum in London's Ecuadorean embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over sex assault claims, which he denies.
The Met Police says Mr Assange would be arrested if he does leave the embassy.

He earlier said his passport should be returned and his arrest warrant dropped if the UN panel ruled in his favour.

In 2014, Mr Assange complained to the UN that he was being "arbitrarily detained" as he could not leave the embassy without being arrested.
The application claimed Mr Assange had been "deprived of his liberty in an arbitrary manner for an unacceptable length of time".

The UN's Working Group on Arbitrary Detention is due to announce the findings of its investigation on Friday.

While the BBC understands the panel will find in Mr Assange's favour, Wikileaks tweeted it was waiting for "official confirmation".
Downing Street said the panel's ruling would not be legally binding.

UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention
Old 4th February 2016, 05:57 AM   #76
Tolls
Illuminator

How is it arbritrary?
He has always been able to walk out of there.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 06:04 AM   #77
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Has he been in there longer than the sentence he might expect if he were found guilty of the charges yet?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 06:10 AM   #78
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Has he been in there longer than the sentence he might expect if he were found guilty of the charges yet?
Yes

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 06:15 AM   #79
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
How is it arbritrary?
He has always been able to walk out of there.

JAs argument can be read at this link.
Old 4th February 2016, 06:26 AM   #80
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
JAs argument can be read at this link.
Same rubbish as previously brought up. Oh noes, if they extradite me to Sweden, then the US will get me! And also the whole. "I haven't been charged with anything" totally ignoring that Sweden can't charge him without his return for questioning.

My Apollo Page.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events