ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cars

View Poll Results: Driverless cars will become mandatory by 2050
Yes they will 30 24.39%
No they won't 56 45.53%
It will take longer 20 16.26%
Your poll options suck 35 28.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2017, 07:36 PM   #41
Joey McGee
I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
There'll be a lot of political opposition.
A lot more old people will be dead, and a lot more young people who grew up on the internet will be allowed to vote...

Quote:
It won't happen to me."
See, these kids, and their parents, like me, grew up on youtube crash videos where a *********** moose belly flops on the car from 30 feet away, they get it.

Quote:
There will NEVER be an accident? No one will EVER be killed?
These kids all know who Neil de Grasse Tyson is, we just need to wait for the old people to die. Sorry, old generation, you're dumb.

Quote:
I could be curled up in the back seat listening to music and having a second cup of coffee.
The computer knows how you like your body temperature and adjusts accordingly.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 07:42 PM   #42
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
Okay I thought your poll was serious. But railing at me for giving my opinion about the future, when your poll asked for opinions about the future, is just silly.
Well to be fair the entire exercise of putting my opinion on the internet is to make people criticize me... uhm, the entire point of this thread is to get you to prove me wrong. This isn't a *********** therapy session. I am of course directly criticizing the way you see the world, that is the point of a debate forum. To me, it sounds like you are giving me excuses as to why you are not more of a skeptical activist. I like to just put it all out there you can choose to just go home right? Cheers
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 07:46 PM   #43
Joey McGee

Elon was right, very few people are worthy of his vision, they just organized like chickens in a pecking order. He see a world like Bill Gates sees, equal health care and equal economic opportunity, and ONLY THEN can we start this experiment... everyone is all like, OMFG u <3 Rex Tillerson@!!!!!#! This is what is wrong with society. He can't get anyone to listen because everyone is looking at everyone else, and no one cares about the underlying fundamentals, and we all laugh at you while drinking our scotch, and then cry ourselves to sleep

Last edited by Joey McGee; 26th January 2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 26th January 2017, 07:59 PM   #44
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I think it might make sense for some highways, but it will be less easy to implement the further away you get from urban areas.
WHY? Tell me why in detail. Why? Have you noticed the postal system collapsing? Has your mail stopped arriving? They'll make it work. Did you think about it? Do you know how much much it costs to peel dead bodies off of the roads, 33k a year? That's a lot of flesh recovery. Billions saved just on clean up every year, easy.

Quote:
Perhaps the whole transportation system will change somehow.
Perhaps my girlfriend will will start doing my laundry.
Quote:
Sometimes innovation is hobbled by old ways of doing things that were necessary in the past. Maybe "cars" will end up utterly different from what they are now.
That is really smart, it is true that we could invent something no one has ever thought of, this situation is indeed ********** up.
Quote:
I wonder if pilotless planes could come earlier though.
Yeah and *********** Trump will be Prez lol

Last edited by Joey McGee; 26th January 2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 26th January 2017, 08:27 PM   #45
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Politicians are not going to commit electoral suicide by preventing them from doing so.
Plan B, let's convince everyone to not be total morons.
Old 26th January 2017, 08:54 PM   #46
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

I do think that there will be many zones where driver-less cars will be mandatory, but not everywhere.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:08 PM   #47
Joey McGee

yeah man, local zones can vote on freedom zones,and auto pilots can just choose not to go in to those zones. What happens when a manual car goes into an auto zone tho. You mad about drones bro?
Old 26th January 2017, 09:14 PM   #48
Seismosaurus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
When you doubt your ability to convince people to do the right thing you have no balls.
It's not really the job of politicians to convince people to do things. Rather the reverse.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:20 PM   #49
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
It's not really the job of politicians to convince people to do things. Rather the reverse.
There is no difference. We are all people, and we are all politicians. I keep seeing shocked looks on people's faces when I remind them of this. You were trapped in identify politics, oops, get over it, we have work to do, we are human, *********** focus. Stop blaming people for problems, and let's teach critical thinking to the world.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:25 PM   #50
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I voted no, but I think by 2050 the majority of cars will be driverless, and getting a driver's license will be a lot more difficult than it is today.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:29 PM   #51
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I voted no, but I think by 2050 the majority of cars will be driverless, and getting a driver's license will be a lot more difficult than it is today.
Do you think the mandatory vehicle 2 vechicle tech also known as v2v will morph into something else? Do you think Trump will hold back the planned installations of v2v communication centers?
Old 26th January 2017, 09:30 PM   #52
Joey McGee

I was pretending to be a smarmy reporter, none of that **** is going to happen. Seriously, don't *********** count on it. Maybe in 15 years.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:31 PM   #53
Joey McGee

Why would getting a driver's license be harder? That's less people they can drink blood off of
Old 26th January 2017, 09:32 PM   #54
Joey McGee

People who don't understand what is going on right now are like baseball fans in 1918
Old 26th January 2017, 09:39 PM   #55
Joey McGee

Guys like me go to bed sweating and cursing god every night, same as the criminals, none of us are going to make any money, and we're lining up to doom each other to hell, good times
Old 26th January 2017, 09:55 PM   #56
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

That's where it is most likely to be required my friend, because I don't want drunk and moronic people running over my kids in front of my house, so when the technology is better than keeping airline passengers alive, it will be the law. Sorry you could not be more backwards if you were trolling.
your wishes are not objective facts.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:02 PM   #57
Joey McGee

I'm sorry Damien but you appear to have gotten the wrong impression from that interaction.

1. The technology exists to make sure no one can run over my kid as long as it is installed in their car.

2. Some people think they shouldn't have to install it because of freedom

3. You aren't helping,

Let me know if you can help
Old 26th January 2017, 10:09 PM   #58
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

My driverless car got hacked by some dude in Azerbaijan. As far as I can tell, it's been running drugs from Mexico for the last week.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:16 PM   #59
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

No, you are just doing what every cult member, science denier and political hack does, you are weaseling out one little potential inconsistency in my argument and trying to bring down the house of cards. Sorry, I *********** slayed it up there, and you're a hack.
Physician, heal thyself.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:27 PM   #60
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Plan B, let's convince everyone to not be total morons.
good luck with that.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:32 PM   #61
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Whenever I read these threads, I start hearing Red Barchetta playing in my head.

Such a great song.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:38 PM   #62
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Physician, heal thyself.
You can always find something wrong with your opponent if you aren't trying to be right.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:40 PM   #63
Joey McGee

good luck with that.
Clearly, as my post history will show, I have been trying to do just that, for example my promoition of skepticalscience.com and robert cialdini
Old 26th January 2017, 10:42 PM   #64
Joey McGee

good luck with that.
you need a parachute? you seem to be trying to exit very quickly
Old 26th January 2017, 10:54 PM   #65
Joey McGee

I just reread the thread... and I am exhausted, I'm emotional. It takes a village to raise a child, let's all be friends... I'm sorry
Old 27th January 2017, 01:51 AM   #66
mcb77
Scholar

Cars controlled by computers, Russian hackers, what could possibly go wrong?
Also will it come with Norton auto antivirus or just plain spammy AVG free?
Old 27th January 2017, 03:13 AM   #67
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Because I'm talking about actuality while you have a delusion that you've found a perfect solution to a problem, and your solution is perfect and undeniable.

Good luck with that Leonardo.
The solution does not need to be perfect to get quick wide acceptance. What if it cut the lethal accident rate by half ? Are you ready to tell all 16K beraved family per year that you refuse that solution ?

If yes, that would remind me of the people which pretended security belt and other security item are bad.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 03:15 AM   #68
Aepervius

Originally Posted by mcb77 View Post
As far as security goes, it is pretty simple to do a separate network which is required by law to have all its mac address white listed on dedicated line separate from any easily accessible hardware i/o.

That's what happen with airplane.

No matter how many air gap hack proof of concept I see, none of them works really without hardware access, by which point all bets are off.

Last edited by Aepervius; 27th January 2017 at 03:16 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 04:53 AM   #69
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mcb77 View Post
Most of the need for antivirus software arises because companies left backdoors for commercial software vendors and, even more, advertising.

The possibility of hacking is a huge problem for autonomous vehicles, but it's a huge problem for not as autonomous vehicles, too. Right now, if someone wanted to use your car (i.e. your car, not their own) as a bomb, they could take control and make it do things and go places you would not want it to go. Even if you are sitting in the driver's seat, you might not be able to stop it.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of driverless car technology is the ability to deliver a car bomb to a location without the need for a suicide driver volunteer.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:00 AM   #70
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

One of the interesting things I thought about on the freeway one morning would be the problems that would arise when half of the cars are driverless. It's one thing to imagine a road full of driverless cars, and another to imagine a single driverless car among a see of human driven vehicles. The transition phase between purely human drivers to mostly autonomous vehicles could be very frightening.

But the poll gave a 33 year window. By then, I'm confident the worst kinks will be worked out.

One of the things that is very difficult to see ahead, though, is related to the early in thread discussion of "mandatory mass transit". The ability to have driverless cars will change a great deal about our society. It will not simply be to keep everything exactly as it is now, but replace cars with an equal number of driverless cars. The ripple effects will be enormous, and I for one don't know where they'll go.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:13 AM   #71
Aepervius

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of driverless car technology is the ability to deliver a car bomb to a location without the need for a suicide driver volunteer.
That possibility already existed before self driving. Why do you think car bomb is a classical 101 in terrorist cookbook. And you do not need to suicide bomb with it, you can just leave it parked.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:15 AM   #72
Seismosaurus
Illuminator

There is no difference.
Yeah, there is.

Quote:
We are all people
Yes we are.

Quote:
and we are all politicians.
No we aren't.

Quote:
I keep seeing shocked looks on people's faces when I remind them of this.
Did you ever stop to consider that this tells you something about your accuracy>

Quote:
You were trapped in identify politics
I don't even know what this means.

Quote:
oops, get over it, we have work to do, we are human, *********** focus. Stop blaming people for problems, and let's teach critical thinking to the world.
Fine. But they're still not going to legislate to make driverless cars mandatory by 2050. People will vote against it, me included.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:17 AM   #73
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
That possibility already existed before self driving. Why do you think car bomb is a classical 101 in terrorist cookbook. And you do not need to suicide bomb with it, you can just leave it parked.
Well, yes, but mobility gives a lot more options to our would-be terrorist.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:42 AM   #74
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It's more likely Donald Trump would be president before this would happen
Old 27th January 2017, 05:46 AM   #75
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

How about we all get together and say **** THOSE PEOPLE and say, instead of 33000 dead in the US every year, lets make this technology work for enjoying driving and preventing deaths. You think we can make quantum *********** computers, and send a colony to mars, but we cant figure out how to both let you drive and take control when you're about to get in a crash? THIS IS A NONISSUE when will everyone stop posturing? Not until a lot of people are DEAD

Mob rules
Old 27th January 2017, 05:50 AM   #76
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Run that by me again?

I thought that's what you said. Quantum computers as car ECUs. Jesus. It's more likely that cars in the future will be powered by magic pixie dust.
How else are you supposed to get the 1.21 gigawatts?
Old 27th January 2017, 06:05 AM   #77
Argumemnon
World Maker

How about we all get together and say **** THOSE PEOPLE and say, instead of 33000 dead in the US every year, lets make this technology work for enjoying driving and preventing deaths.
How about we all get together and say **** THOSE 33,000 PEOPLE and say, instead, let's stop telling people what to do.
Old 27th January 2017, 06:20 AM   #78
angrysoba
Philosophile

WHY? Tell me why in detail. Why? Have you noticed the postal system collapsing? Has your mail stopped arriving? They'll make it work. Did you think about it? Do you know how much much it costs to peel dead bodies off of the roads, 33k a year? That's a lot of flesh recovery. Billions saved just on clean up every year, easy.

Perhaps my girlfriend will will start doing my laundry.That is really smart, it is true that we could invent something no one has ever thought of, this situation is indeed ********** up.
Yeah and *********** Trump will be Prez lol
I'm not going to waste my time bickering about it.

Why don't we just make a bet?

If, in 2050, there are no laws mandating that humans may not drive cars, to the extent that licenses cease to be granted to members of the public, other than specialist technicians, then you must use an avatar of my choice on ISF Skeptics Forum (or its successor) for ten years. Or on your Dopple, or Grain, if such things be invented.

And if I am wrong, then I will use an avatar of your choice, for ten years.

Sound fair?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 06:44 AM   #79
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I can't believe the people who are against this technology commute by car. I used mass transit for thirty years but in my current job it's impossible. Every commute there's a close call and at least once a week one that could cause very serious injuries. Like the woman who made a right at a stop sign the other morning without slowing down. Then had to slam on her brakes to avoid hitting an oncoming car headon. The other morning the guy behind me became incensed when I changed lanes -- I had to it was an interchange -- and tried to pass me by driving on the shoulder. At 50 mph?

Driverless cars won't do these things.

And by the way, if someone steals your driverless car and uses it to do drug runs, the police will undoubtedly be able to pinpoint the car's location and disable it almost as soon as you report it stolen.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 06:53 AM   #80
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
It's more likely Donald Trump would be president before this would happen
I think that is already covered!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events